ADVERTISEMENT

Sad to say it, but…

BoilerMaker P

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 28, 2001
I would be totally okay if Robbie Hummel didn’t call another Purdue conference game ever. Loved him as a player and he is a great color commentator, but it seems like he’s always on the call when Purdue doesn’t show up and gets upset by teams they should beat. Also, as has been mentioned by others, he kind of overdoes his effort to not come across as a Purdue homer.

Reactions: pboiler18
I wanted him to shut his month when he was slurping Neb defense. "Oh neb has played great defense without fouling blah blah blah" they fouled the hell out of edey and refs were calling him if he breathed on people! Robbie really did piss me off last night.

But I will say it again I still give Neb credit for bringing the pain on both sides.

I am fine with Hummel . You want a Homer, that’s not his job. Neb did play great defense especially on their final run guarding the perimeter. Jones, Smith, Loyer had difficulty getting their shots late. Yes Zach got fouled, he also did not play well, seemed not to be with it.

Hummel is the best color guy in the game imo. He has great analysis and articulates what teams are doing well with a commanding voice. He adds to the excitement of the play.

It is not a color guy's job to start a controversy over poor refing. They try to stay positive about all facets of the game including the refs....as much as possible.

If it sounded like Hummel was too positive about what NE was doing while not being as positive about Purdue.....perhaps just maybe there was more NE was doing well, as the final score overwhelming indicated.

Getting back to Edey , when will the refs give him a fair shake . He was muggged last night and very few called
He seems to be getting increasingly frustrated. He seems pretty level headed but would not surprise me to see him force the referees hands at some point. Nothing like taking two guys holding on to you and sailing them out of bounds to force a review showing the refs shortcomings.

Last edited:
I would be totally okay if Robbie Hummel didn’t call another Purdue conference game ever. Loved him as a player and he is a great color commentator, but it seems like he’s always on the call when Purdue doesn’t show up and gets upset by teams they should beat. Also, as has been mentioned by others, he kind of overdoes his effort to not come across as a Purdue homer.
He made a Tweet on X about the flagrant fouls being called, saying they were BS. My guess is he got a hand slapped and was doing his best to walk it back last night and get out of the doghouse.

No, last night's on me guys. I was at the Northwestern game, and last night I bought tickets to the @Iowa game, meaning I was thinking about attending a game leading into last night's game. If we lose at Iowa, I'm done even thinking about going to a game, even in Arizona.

He made a Tweet on X about the flagrant fouls being called, saying they were BS. My guess is he got a hand slapped and was doing his best to walk it back last night and get out of the doghouse.
It was a joke! 60 years ago I would go to the baseline at Hinkle where nets were hanging to keep the balls from getting up in the bleachers to hear the grunts, thuds and shoes squeak with inside play right in front of me. For the most part the whole flagrant foul is a joke. They now have a rulebook that is very exact about what subjectively happened where the players, coaches and some fans know whether there was an intent to hurt someone or not. More bad rules hurt the game. Along with that quit rewarding the offense when the defense makes a good play off a pass and kicks the ball by rewarding the offense with 20 second if less were on the clock. Lastly, hand the ball to the visitors to start the game. It isn't like refs can toss the ball up anymore.

Lastly, was it Mason or Robbie that accurately tweeted it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT