ADVERTISEMENT

RS Question

Sep 13, 2013
I read this from JCOnline (
http://www.jconline.com/story/natha...t-painter-on-redshirt-possibilities/27763451/)

"Cline seems like a more likely redshirt than Weatherford (or obviously the highly touted Swanigan) because Weatherford, based on past performance, should contribute more to point guard depth. Another player who, on paper, makes sense as a possible redshirt is Smotherman, only because the minutes at the 4 (and 5, in small-lineup scenarios) get scarce fast. But it might be tough to ask a player going into his junior season to redshirt, and it might understandably be tough for him to accept."

And it got me thinking about who Purdue may redshirt. So two redshirt questions for someone with better memory than me:

1) Has Painter/Purdue ever redshirted two players in one season? Let's say hypothetically Cline comes in and is clearly behind Stephens and Mathias and Weatherford comes in and is clearly behind PJ and Hill do you/should you redshirt both?

2) Has Painter/Purdue ever redshirted a non freshman without injury being the cause? The article excerpt above mentions Basil and I've seen a few threads mention him also.... Has this ever really been done before at Purdue for a non injury reason? I can't imagine Basil (or whoever) would be happy with that situation but would they be any less happy than if they averaged less than 15 minutes their junior year...

I read this from JCOnline (
http://www.jconline.com/story/natha...t-painter-on-redshirt-possibilities/27763451/)

"Cline seems like a more likely redshirt than Weatherford (or obviously the highly touted Swanigan) because Weatherford, based on past performance, should contribute more to point guard depth. Another player who, on paper, makes sense as a possible redshirt is Smotherman, only because the minutes at the 4 (and 5, in small-lineup scenarios) get scarce fast. But it might be tough to ask a player going into his junior season to redshirt, and it might understandably be tough for him to accept."

And it got me thinking about who Purdue may redshirt. So two redshirt questions for someone with better memory than me:

1) Has Painter/Purdue ever redshirted two players in one season? Let's say hypothetically Cline comes in and is clearly behind Stephens and Mathias and Weatherford comes in and is clearly behind PJ and Hill do you/should you redshirt both?

2) Has Painter/Purdue ever redshirted a non freshman without injury being the cause? The article excerpt above mentions Basil and I've seen a few threads mention him also.... Has this ever really been done before at Purdue for a non injury reason? I can't imagine Basil (or whoever) would be happy with that situation but would they be any less happy than if they averaged less than 15 minutes their junior year...

Two things on your 2 questions that are not necessarily Purdue-specific...

1. Purdue has an incredibly deep team as it stands right now. Redshirting is not terribly common anymore. It's tough to sell it to a recruit/player who wants the opportunity from the get-go. It's also very tough to build this kind of depth that Purdue has anymore considering players are so focused on playing time. You really have to find the right kind of players and the coaching staff has to be able to sell it to kids - not only to incoming recruits, but returning players.

2. This is a pretty rare thing in college basketball, period.

We really don't know enough to suggest that anyone redshirt at this time. If anyone does, it will be Cline or Weatherford, but... Cline could end up being our best shooter under pressure. Weatherford could have a good enough handle to go with his strong defense to rise up into the backup PG role. Let's see how the off season treats everybody & then watch the preseason games.

If someone is gonna RS, I would think Weatherford would be the most likely. There are already guys (Dakota Mathias, Vince Edwards, Rapheal Davis) that can step in and help Johnny Hill and P.J. Thompson out with point guard play, if need be. Hill's addition solidified the depth at the position because he's tested, experienced, and has put up if not impressive, at least respectable numbers in that role during his two seasons at Illinois State and one season at Texas-Arlington. That makes it less important to have Weatherford for depth next season, IMO.

Like others have mentioned, Cline could very well end up being the most accurate jump-shooter on next season's team from what he's showed in his HS and AAU play. If that's the case, I would think that would supercede any defensive or strength deficiencies he might have as a freshman.

Weatherford could be the best defensive guard? As for Cline he could be the best of the Stephens, Mathias & Cline @ the 2? We will not know until the first couple weeks of practice.

But with the depth we have it would be in Purdue's best interest to RS someone(s) if Painter & the player together sees the greater good down the road for both Purdue and the player.

ADVERTISEMENT