ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Ray

SIBoiler2

All-American
Aug 6, 2009
Rick Ray was named head coach at Southeast Missouri State U in Cape Girardeu, MO today.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
Rick Ray was named head coach at Southeast Missouri State U in Cape Girardeu, MO today.
Interesting. My wife's a SEMO grad.

Congrats to Linc!

His Florida Southern team was fun to watch. It's interesting how he abandoned the classic Purdue way and plays an uptempo and pressing style, yet has had a lot of success with it. Not an easy thing to do (change fundamental styles that you've had for years and then execute the new style well).

He did mention that he does stress defense, but knows that with a pressing style, you'll give up some easy buckets from time-to-time.

Alford, Lusk and 'Zo were all at MO State which used to be SW MO State and is now just MO State. It's over in the Springfield-Branson area. SEMO is on the far southeastern part of MO on the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau.

Originally posted by klmLB:
Congrats to Linc!

His Florida Southern team was fun to watch. It's interesting how he abandoned the classic Purdue way and plays an uptempo and pressing style, yet has had a lot of success with it. Not an easy thing to do (change fundamental styles that you've had for years and then execute the new style well).

He did mention that he does stress defense, but knows that with a pressing style, you'll give up some easy buckets from time-to-time.
Yes, congrats to him.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the Green Bay players to adjust to his system and how it looks against other DI programs. I know it usually takes a few seasons for a newly implemented system to be successful, if it's going to work.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Congrats to Linc!

Yes, congrats to him.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the Green Bay players to adjust to his system and how it looks against other DI programs. I know it usually takes a few seasons for a newly implemented system to be successful, if it's going to work.

Now if people would just apply this philosophy to our football program.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Congrats to Linc!

Yes, congrats to him.

Yeah, something to keep an eye on. The state of Wisc has some good athletes, but probably not as abundant as in Florida.

Dick Bennett used to coach at Green Bay and had a lot of success there with the low possession (use the shot clock, get a good shot), play some tough nosed D, etc, style.

Personally, I think Coach Bennett's style better fits the prototypical players you find in that region. However, I can understand Linc wanting to move into Div 1 and that's a good basketball school (with success, tradition and a supportive fanbase).

One other thing Linc mentioned was that his style makes recruiting easier because he goes 9-10 players deep (e.g. kids will get a chance to get on the court ... and he wants kids to take good looks (for their skillset). It doesn't matter if that look comes 5 seconds or 35 seconds into the shot clock).

Wish him well and hope he has a lot of success there.

ADVERTISEMENT