ADVERTISEMENT

Renovation Realities

kescwi

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2005
Mt. Pleasant SC
I dislike TV and loath reality TV but this show makes me cringe and literally LOL all in the same episode.

I wonder if attorneys would get the same kick out of a show about pro se representation or doctors with a show re self diagnosis and treatment.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

ask any attorney

nothing more infuriating than watching a show where the law is being discussed and watching them mangle it.

It even seeps into shows like The Following. Not a show that's anything other than a guilty pleasure, and it's not really big on realism, but the one court-room scene they had last week was just so full of ridiculous "that's not how that works, that's not how any of this works" that makes you want to pull your hair out.

Re: ask any attorney

Are you saying that the big reveal where the attorney grabs his lapels and rocks backwards on his white shoe heels is a novelistic fantasy?

I didn't know much about law until a I married the daughter of an attorney and the granddaughter of a judge who has a building named for him at a school of law. Now I get law books for Christmas. I actually enjoy that. Otherwise I would be getting ties and cufflinks. Bigger picture, there are areas of life where we are tasked with trusting professionals. Finance, law, and medicine seem to be the most relied upon, but least understood of those areas.

I'm reminded of an Onion article.

Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution to Be.

This post was edited on 3/29 9:19 PM by ecouch

Area Man Defends Constitution

one exception

My Cousin Vinny. Does a really good job getting it right across the board, and I've seen it used, and used it, repeatedly as training for young attorneys.

Da two Utes.

One of my favorite movies. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Having seen movies and pretty much every Law & Order episode, I was somewhat disappointed in the courtroom drama on the two juries I served on, despite knowing movies and TV aren't very accurate (at least, if topics I have at least some expertise on are any indication).

it deserves it

1. it gets discovery right

2. it makes it clear attorneys have hoops they have to pass through to actually work in a courtroom

3. it shows the importance of a good opening statement, and knowing your jury

4. it shows how to cross examine effectively (and ineffectively)

5. it shows how to lay the foundation for an expert witness, including voir dire (either pronunciation)

I could go on, not just a good movie and funny, but really really gets it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT