ADVERTISEMENT

Re-examine the Zone defense?

dumpsterFyre

Senior
Aug 17, 2012
With Swanigan coming in, do we re-examine the 3-2 zone to protect Biggie from fatigue issues? He can team up with AJ to patrol the paint. Refs are also a bit merciless on freshmen with flat feet.

His offensive upside is tremendous, but I don't know if his defense is B1G level yet and definitely not Purdue level yet. Hopefully he makes leaps during the offseason.

Reactions: woggy718
This is what I posted in the other thread earlier.

The thing that I keep thinking back to what is he going to do defensively this year. He really teased us last year saying he thought he could play Hammons and Hass together in a zone defense and really stretch the court. Now, I know that Taylor and Biggie aren't quite as big as them but they are still huge bodies and Taylor is very athletic, as well as Swanigan for his size. So I hope we get to see zone out of them this year much more with a combination of the 4 on the court. We have so much freaking size. Imagine if we go big with Vince at the 3.... I think we could have a lineup in there if we wanted to of our shortest player being what 6'5?

I don't think so. Painter is a great man-to-man coach. He has shown zone is not his strength. Hammons should have been a 1 man zone and we couldn't run it. Stick to what we do.

I don't think so. Painter is a great man-to-man coach. He has shown zone is not his strength. Hammons should have been a 1 man zone and we couldn't run it. Stick to what we do.
He showed last year that he wants to use it though, even though they didn't use it much, he said he was trying to make it a focus, not just because he wanted to use it but the so many other teams use it that the players need to be more familiar with it and it's strengths and weaknesses to be able to beat it.

Although, I worry more about us being able to beat the full court press.

Good points. Probably try it in weaker games and blowouts to see if we can play it consistently. I have my doubts. I'm not as worried about the press this year. We have smart ball handlers and shooters. Both good ways to beat the press.

Need to prove the team can run it first. It was tried a few times last season and didn't work out well if I remember it right.

Good points. Probably try it in weaker games and blowouts to see if we can play it consistently. I have my doubts. I'm not as worried about the press this year. We have smart ball handlers and shooters. Both good ways to beat the press.
Yeah, I'd love to see them really be able to fine tune it in the non-conference. They play such aggressive man to man, it would be great to slide into the zone for a nice change of pace, and also force other teams to adjust.

Reactions: Schnelk and 1869ers
Yeah, I'd love to see them really be able to fine tune it in the non-conference. They play such aggressive man to man, it would be great to slide into the zone for a nice change of pace, and also force other teams to adjust.
I think a nice 1 3 1 would be pretty cool and game changing at times.

Reactions: woggy718
He showed last year that he wants to use it though, even though they didn't use it much, he said he was trying to make it a focus, not just because he wanted to use it but the so many other teams use it that the players need to be more familiar with it and it's strengths and weaknesses to be able to beat it.

Although, I worry more about us being able to beat the full court press.

Ummm, I don't think I'd say he showed he "WANTED" to. Keep in mind, Purdue's defense was crap until mid-year. We tried the zone when it was crap.

Why you'd push for a guy like Davis to play zone is beyond me. AJ practically plays an interior zone under the basket.

Why screw with something that's working?

Ummm, I don't think I'd say he showed he "WANTED" to. Keep in mind, Purdue's defense was crap until mid-year. We tried the zone when it was crap.

Why screw with something that's working? Why you'd push for putting a DPOY to play zone is absurd.
Because he said several times that he wanted to try to get some zone in during game action.

With Swanigan coming in, do we re-examine the 3-2 zone to protect Biggie from fatigue issues? He can team up with AJ to patrol the paint. Refs are also a bit merciless on freshmen with flat feet.

His offensive upside is tremendous, but I don't know if his defense is B1G level yet and definitely not Purdue level yet. Hopefully he makes leaps during the offseason.
No way!!! We were terrible in the zone last year. Stick with man to man.

Because he said several times that he wanted to try to get some zone in during game action.

Coming off of a season that Purdue was one of the worst defensive teams in the league....

Not saying he won't ever try, but I don't get this forum. There's like 3 subjects its obsessed with whenever something goes right. AJ Hammons comes back, people immediately start complaining about Painter's recruiting. Swanigan commits, we need to play zone.

I think we're about due for a "______ is sad and wants to transfer" thread!

Coming off of a season that Purdue was one of the worst defensive teams in the league....

Not saying he won't ever try, but I don't get this forum. There's like 3 subjects its obsessed with whenever something goes right. AJ Hammons comes back, people immediately start complaining about Painter's recruiting. Swanigan commits, we need to play zone.

With the changes in personnel on this team, it's a legit question. Purdue could have some match-up problems against smaller, quicker teams, particularly when playing its best offensive line-ups.

Based on how last season went, however, I think we'll see primarily man, but with a lot of help.

On that note, cue the message board moralist.

Nobody is saying switch to all zone. Nobody. But there is an opinion out there that having just the ability to effectively spring a zone occasionally, as a momentum changer, is worth practicing if so needed. Nobody wants to abandon our man to man d.

Reactions: 1869ers
I think Purdue is a deep enough team this year with little drop off that we stay man to man in your face defense.

I do however think we need to practice zone just so we are not predictable.....

Never become predictable in basketball, poker,...hell even in life......always be a mystery but have a plan.

I think we continue to play man to man and match up zone....

Would love to see some full court pressure this year with Hill, PJ, Davis, Basil and Weatherford.

Going to be fun to watch Matt Painter and the staff plug and play the pieces and see these young men mature and maximize their role's.

Boiler Up!

Nobody is saying switch to all zone. Nobody. But there is an opinion out there that having just the ability to effectively spring a zone occasionally, as a momentum changer, is worth practicing if so needed. Nobody wants to abandon our man to man d.
Yes, but even when we tried it in spurts last year, we gave up MANY easy baskets. Let's stick to man to man.

I think we will continue to practice against the zone (IN PRACTICE) because we will see mostly zone in many games until our shooters prove they can knock down the open jumpers in games.

Probably not much zone in games, especially when the BIG season starts.

Nope. It was really bad looking last year. There is a lot of length on paper to make it sound titillating, but it just isn't Painter's forte. I was all for it last year until I saw it in action. They got a lot better when they dumped it. You've got a 7 footer almost guaranteed for 40 minutes a game to protect the rim, and the Ray-Feel Glove ready to shut somebody down, five second rule or not. Stick with you're bread and butter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT