ADVERTISEMENT

"Rather play in D league than come back to Purdue"

The article is not as inflammatory as the OP statement implies. Nothing new here. He wants to be in the NBA really really badly. I just hope if he comes back he can defend a stretch four. If not he should back up Haas.
This. The comments are already being discussed in another thread and are porbobaly taken out of context.

I'd also point to the fact it may be just Jockitch reverting to his Loosier roots just a little bit.

if he is really thinking along these lines, he should have a chat with jj and ask him how the d league route has worked to get jj back in the nba.

Reactions: FleeTheScene
if he is really thinking along these lines, he should have a chat with jj and ask him how the d league route has worked to get jj back in the nba.
If this is really his mindset nobody will "know enough" to convince a 19 year old with his mind made up that he isn't somehow different or better than the person with knowledge.

It is very possible that Biggie let his academics go during his last semester, expecting to go play in the NBA. He might have some significant work to do to get back into a position where he can play for Purdue this fall. He might see the D-league as a place he can work on his game 24x7, without all that academic stuff taking his time.

The drawback is that Painter and his assistant coaches are probably better coaches than those who work in the D-league. Biggie will get better coaching, and (most important) get better publicity at Purdue. Sometimes the publicity alone can promote some players over those of equal skill in the eyes of the NBA boys. Drafting a well-known college player, over some D-League guy, might sell more tickets and might make the fan base happier, even if both players grade out about equal. In the NBA, it i$ all about putting butt$ in $eat$.

:cool:

It is very possible that Biggie let his academics go during his last semester, expecting to go play in the NBA. He might have some significant work to do to get back into a position where he can play for Purdue this fall. He might see the D-league as a place he can work on his game 24x7, without all that academic stuff taking his time.

The drawback is that Painter and his assistant coaches are probably better coaches than those who work in the D-league. Biggie will get better coaching, and (most important) get better publicity at Purdue. Sometimes the publicity alone can promote some players over those of equal skill in the eyes of the NBA boys. Drafting a well-known college player, over some D-League guy, might sell more tickets and might make the fan base happier, even if both players grade out about equal. In the NBA, it i$ all about putting butt$ in $eat$.

If Swanigan let his acedemics go during the second semester, then that doesn't shine a very good light on our coaching staff who's job it is to make sure that doesn't happen.

Reactions: *4purdue*
If Swanigan let his acedemics go during the second semester, then that doesn't shine a very good light on our coaching staff who's job it is to make sure that doesn't happen.
Please understand that I was just speculating and have NO FACTS to back up this assertion. I was just putting myself into his shoes (They didn't fit me well). Being the lazy guy that I am, I would have slacked off given the situation, especially if I thought I was going to make millions $$$.

Reactions: Secrefreakintariat
Pete. Not everything is in control of any coach. Not that this is the case, because as usual, we don't know, but sometimes a kid just isn't interested in the school part of going to school. You can help them but only if they want the help.

I just hope if he comes back he can defend a stretch four. If not he should back up Haas.
If you're CS, wouldn't that be a major regression?
Almost not even an option since that's the very thing he has worked to avoid, and prep for the league

Pete. Not everything is in control of any coach. Not that this is the case, because as usual, we don't know, but sometimes a kid just isn't interested in the school part of going to school. You can help them but only if they want the help.
I agree. But we know they have coached in charge of keeping them on schedule and one would hope that had he dropped behind, he wouldn't have seen the floor.
I doubt he did however. He seems like the kind of kid who goes all in in everything he does.

I think DG10 had mentioned earlier that he had done well academically.

If you're CS, wouldn't that be a major regression?
Almost not even an option since that's the very thing he has worked to avoid, and prep for the league
Yep. But if he can't defend an athletic four in college he sure as hell won't be able to do it in the league with more floor to cover and the best athletes alive on the floor. Maybe he gets better or maybe he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I agree. But we know they have coached in charge of keeping them on schedule and one would hope that had he dropped behind, he wouldn't have seen the floor.
I doubt he did however. He seems like the kind of kid who goes all in in everything he does.
If it were found to be the case (bad grades), I wouldn't blame this staff based on what has been pretty solid academic record for the team.
As you said, I doubt that is the case anyway.

If it were found to be the case (bad grades), I wouldn't blame this staff based on what has been pretty solid academic record for the team.
As you said, I doubt that is the case anyway.
I wouldn't blame the staff either unless they allowed that player to continue to play. You can't keep a kid from not doing the work. But you can sit them on the bench in street clothes if they do and that wasn't the case. So I assume he was on track to complete his coursework.

i seriously doubt his decision has anything to do with grades and more to do with his desire to play in the nba. hopefully if d league is his only option then barnes will talk him out of that . only biggie knows at this point and all our guessing is just that

Reactions: mathboy
That or he really, really, really wants to get to the NBA and make $$$$.
Or some of both.

There's want...and then there's reality. If he comes back, he's likely a 1st rounder next year even with just slight improvement.

If he goes now, he's likely not drafted with a tough road to hoe to get to the NBA.

One of those sounds really good and has a guaranteed $1mil attached to it. The other, he makes $30k next year and puts himself in a tough situation to even get a legitimate shot at making an NBA roster.

This kid is getting some bad advice and it doesn't seem to be coming from NBA GMs.

Couple things here.

1. If Swanigan wants to be a 4 in the NBA, and get drafted, then he needs to work on being quicker laterally and his conditioning. It would be busting his tail, everyday all summer long, losing 15-20 pounds of fat and increasing core strength along with lowing body strength. That is the only way he's going to be a 4 in the NBA, and quite frankly, be a dominant 4 in the NCAA.

2. I find it hard to believe that Swanigan WON'T come back to Purdue next year. He just has too much to work on, and I don't think any team will pull the trigger on an under-sized 5/ very slow 4, with less than average athletic ability, even in the second round. I would be willing to bet that every scout, advisor, anyone involved in his process about entering the draft, is telling him to GO BACK TO SCHOOL. He's just not ready. Sure he was a a top 10-20 recruit coming out of HS last year. But the truth is, you're not ready. Work on the things you need to work on, then re-enter the draft next year after hopefully dominating the league and playing to your strengths.

All we can do is speculate & wait, as usual.

At this point, I think it's 50-50. It would be a rational decision for Caleb to return to Purdue, because based on past players' experiences that will enable the highest probability of getting drafted into the league. With work (which he has proven he is willing to put forth), he could even rise to be a 1st rounder.

But as others have noted, Caleb may have a major reason in his young brain to not return... could be grades, could be soured chemistry with the coaching staff, could be a bad taste in his mouth from the team's NCAA flame-out, could be that he just doesn't like school very much & would rather tough it out playing sub-NBA ball somewhere. I have a 17-year-old son, and from experience I can say it is not that easy to understand what's going on inside the skull of a young man.

Right, but he has Barnes in his corner, who I assume will control the situation. This is such a no-brainer decision that I can't imagine Barnes will let Swanigan go to languish in the D-league.

He may end up there anyway, but at least get your money in the draft first, like JJ did.

Reactions: Inspector100
I wouldn't blame the staff either unless they allowed that player to continue to play. You can't keep a kid from not doing the work. But you can sit them on the bench in street clothes if they do and that wasn't the case. So I assume he was on track to complete his coursework.
We are in total agreement.

Reactions: proudopete
There's want...and then there's reality. If he comes back, he's likely a 1st rounder next year even with just slight improvement.

If he goes now, he's likely not drafted with a tough road to hoe to get to the NBA.

One of those sounds really good and has a guaranteed $1mil attached to it. The other, he makes $30k next year and puts himself in a tough situation to even get a legitimate shot at making an NBA roster.

This kid is getting some bad advice and it doesn't seem to be coming from NBA GMs.
How do you know what advice he's getting?

hopefully after his workout with the pacers, they will convince him that college is where he needs to be next year

Reactions: Cleanface
hopefully after his workout with the pacers, they will convince him that college is where he needs to be next year
Dakich just tweeted "he gone" and I assume he is referencing Swanigan because I believe he is on his show today. Swanigan is going to just disappear never to be heard of again. It's a shame.

Dakich just tweeted "he gone" and I assume he is referencing Swanigan because I believe he is on his show today. Swanigan is going to just disappear never to be heard of again. It's a shame.
Which is interesting because both GBI and another person tweeted a few minutes ago that he hasn't decided yet.

Edit: now saw a tweet that said Biggie will decide after he works out with the Hawks.

So we will know more tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
I heard it. DD asked point blank about d league. He said he would if some ream wanted him to do that. He also said he completed his academic year at Purdue.

I heard it. DD asked point blank about d league. He said he would if some ream wanted him to do that. He also said he completed his academic year at Purdue.
Thanks. So basically the same thing we've been hearing already.

My guess is that since Biggie hasn't said no to returning, no team has told him they would do that...yet.

I believe he has been coached by Barnes to say that (and he means it too) but is leaving out the caveat. I wish someone would ask the question "would you go to the d-league with NO NBA contract but just a team who said they would like to watch you develop more before making any financial commitment?"

I think he wants to be a 6'7" center and Troy Williams wants to be a 6'5" power forward in the D-league. Neither one could sniff JJ's jockstrap, and he cant make it into the NBA.

If only JJ entered the draft now as a 5...oh, how things might be different for a slender, floor-spacing, shot-blocking center...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT