ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball coach Sharon Versyp accused of creating 'toxic and hostile' environment (link)

This is unfortunate. If allegations are credible, might be best to let Coach Gearlds take over effective immediately.
It is very disappointing if true, and disappointing if not true. Nothing I read sounds terrible in terms of treatment but you probably can not get away with that in this day and age.

If this treatment is pervasive it is odd that Madison’s sister would have committed. She would have had to know that things were not good.

— After a loss at Wisconsin on Dec. 31, 2018, the coaching staff, including Versyp and Kix, became frustrated with the performance of a then-freshman on the team. Versyp moved the player and a teammate to the end of the bench.

The coach did not allow the two players into the locker room afterward, saying they were “selfish and not for the team.”

Freshmen on that team were Traylor, Hardin, Stallings, and Gony. All of them played that game. Hardin shot 0-7. Traylor started but only played 19 minutes and did not play in the 4th quarter. Of course, Hardin is still here while Traylor transferred out.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
It is very disappointing if true, and disappointing if not true. Nothing I read sounds terrible in terms of treatment but you probably can not get away with that in this day and age.

If this treatment is pervasive it is odd that Madison’s sister would have committed. She would have had to know that things were not good.
True but she would have known at the time she committed that she'd be playing her entire career for Coach Gearlds so it may not have swayed her if these things were known to her and bothered her at all. Frankly, this makes it sound like Kix initiated much of what is described here and, if true, Coach Versyp was complicit by her inaction. Like you said, some of these things do not sound like a big deal to me but I grew up in a different time where coaches were sometimes tough on players to motivate them. And some players respond to that. Others do not. But either way, it's unlikely that type of coaching is going to be tolerated in today's day and age.

Sad that Sharon is going out on this negative note... It's bad enough that the program has dramatically fallen in stature and prestige since she became the HC and she has fallen short in recruiting and creating an exciting brand of basketball, while many good players have left the program during her tenure... but now a horrible scandal like this concerning her treatment of players and that of someone under her in the program. She was not a great hire from the beginning imho and now will leave the program in April under this sad cloud. But I am so encouraged by what I see in Katie Gearlds and hope she brings the program back to it's past glory days. I really, really like Katie and her passion and her energy and her incredible attitude and personality, and hopefully it translates to lots of success on the court and in the recruiting arena. Boiler Up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue80
Couture had similar allegations at Butler a couple years before we hired her I think.

I had no idea that Madison's sister was even offered, but then Madison will be a soph and so she is older than I quickly thought. Every coach can be tough at times...especially if they are trying to push you past a comfort level. That said and in reference to your comment about Madison...IMO Kathie's greatest attribute as a coach was not the X and Os, but in getting players to work together as a team. It is hard to build a team if you subscribe to abuse...today anyway. Now what is Kathie and Jeff going to do with all those college expenses they are saving? ;)

I manage people as a vocation. Allegations like this would make it very difficult to justify keeping a manager in place. Guess we will see. However, it feels like the administration doesn’t have much choice but to force Sharon to give up the position early.

I manage people as a vocation. Allegations like this would make it very difficult to justify keeping a manager in place. Guess we will see. However, it feels like the administration doesn’t have much choice but to force Sharon to give up the position early.
The administration (and prior one) have done her multiple favors in recent years, including allowing her to stay on through this year (before this all came to light).

She has failed in pretty much every regard for multiple years, and, she took what was not just a nationally relevant program, but, a national power...certainly a premier program in the conference...and, made it almost entirely irrelevant...at the same time that her arch rival program surpassed it.

The only thing sad about this is that it is just now coming to light, as, it certainly has been known about for some time...or should have been.

She not only has now sullied her potential retirement tour, if not ended it, she complicated the already daunting job that her successor was facing...in large part because of her other failures before this. That said, her successor is committed to succeeding...and, frankly, getting to begin that process sooner is not the worst thing in the world if that is what comes of this.

The administration (and prior one) have done her multiple favors in recent years, including allowing her to stay on through this year (before this all came to light).

She has failed in pretty much every regard for multiple years, and, she took what was not just a nationally relevant program, but, a national power...certainly a premier program in the conference...and, made it almost entirely irrelevant...at the same time that her arch rival program surpassed it.

The only thing sad about this is that it is just now coming to light, as, it certainly has been known about for some time...or should have been.

She not only has now sullied her potential retirement tour, if not ended it, she complicated the already daunting job that her successor was facing...in large part because of her other failures before this. That said, her successor is committed to succeeding...and, frankly, getting to begin that process sooner is not the worst thing in the world if that is what comes of this.
Plus Katie is an amazaingly likable person...she'll overcome any complications from this and I think she'll be great and successful.

Reactions: BoilerUp81
This is unfortunate. If allegations are credible, might be best to let Coach Gearlds take over effective immediately.

Reading the story, I have three thoughts:

1. The allegations are pretty lame by the standard when I grew up.

2. That said, considering the high turnovers in personnel and the lack of cohesiveness that we've witnessed the last few years, it does seem very likely that Versyp has created a toxic environment, or at least not one where players feel motivated and encouraged.

3. The best thing Versyp can do is to resign and spare the program, the players, and her alma mater from the distraction. But I doubt she'll do that. My guess is she won't go unless there's a big buyout.

2. That said, considering the high turnovers in personnel and the lack of cohesiveness that we've witnessed the last few years, it does seem very likely that Versyp has created a toxic environment, or at least not one where players feel motivated and encouraged.

3. The best thing Versyp can do is to resign and spare the program, the players, and her alma mater from the distraction. But I doubt she'll do that. My guess is she won't go unless there's a big buyout.
You know, it seems weird to me that there are former (star) players - notably Katie Gearlds and Courtney Moses - who, in interviews, have tremendous things to say about Coach Versyp, about her belief in them, how her coaching made them better players, better people, etc.
But I don’t sense a rousing chorus of support or accolades from the rank and file masses of former players, or staff. I’m sure it’s a mixed bag, as are most things in life - but my personal read on CSV, from afar, is that she is more aloof, less “approachable” than KG looks to be.
I feel like I would be…uncomfortable.. in her presence. Again, just my read from far away.
That doesn’t translate by any stretch to “toxic” but I can’t ever imagine KG being anything but warm, delightful and engaging. Agree with an earlier poster that she just exudes personality and I truly believe she will do good things for the WBB program.
Probably time for a clean break - ‘cause once a story like this is out there, it almost never “heals” and returns to baseline. Truly sad for all parties.

Reactions: DAG10

The allegations are really lame, but, that is a reflection of how things have changed...dramatically...in recent years. It goes hand-in-hand with the transfer portal/immediate eligibility.

To your second point...it has been clear for some time that things are not "right" in the program.

Finally, she has shown multiple times that doing the best thing for the program is not of concern to her...she never should have had her contract extended by Burke on his way out. She has had a significant negative impact on the program in so many ways leading up to that, and definitely since. Purdue did her a favor and gave her a gift in letting her finish out her contract this year...as she did not earn that in any way...and, it is really difficult to understand that in that it is really difficult to believe that there was no knowledge of what had happened...maybe not the particular details, but, at least in general (if not some of the particular details).

Truth be told, it seems fitting that her farewell tour took place in empty arenas, including (if not especially) Mackey...as, she did not do her job even remotely well in recent years and was allowed to remain.

Reactions: charlespig and gn
Well maybe we need to wait until the investigation is finished before we say her immediate replacement is inevitable.

No one is bringing up that it may damage our team (and Katie’s career) more for KG to take over early. I believe she needs the year of experience of what it is like to coach at a Power 5 level. We need to remember she has only coached at a NAIA Div II level up to now.

Although all recruits going forward will play under a different coaching regime. That can be a huge consideration (and likely is for the recruits that we are pursuing that would not have given Purdue a second thought under Versyp).

No one is bringing up that it may damage our team (and Katie’s career) more for KG to take over early. I believe she needs the year of experience of what it is like to coach at a Power 5 level. We need to remember she has only coached at a NAIA Div II level up to now.

She does need the experience, or, at least would benefit from it...if the situation were not what it is...this season is merely an exercise...Versyp was there for show more than anything, and, because Purdue was paying her either way. Yes, it allowed for an easier transition, but, that could have been the case already...Purdue waited too long to put the plan in place that is in place...thus, while it would complicate things for Katie potentially...things were already going to be complicated...and, if the facts are accurate, it is irrelevant in that Versyp can't be there. That sucks for everyone...Katie...Versyp...the team/Purdue...but, the lack of success and problems on the floor should have been reason enough for the end of Versyp's career at Purdue to have ended before now, and, with the alleged off-court issues that have come to light (and it is hard to believe that none of these issues were known until just now/recently), it is all the more reason that it should have come to an end before now.

Katie already had her work cut out for her trying to fix much of what her predecessor has broken, and, this distraction was the last thing that she needed on top of all that she was/is already dealing with.

I think it's Kristy Curry's fault. She is why SV was hired. Can't believe it's been 19 years since we won the Big Ten. I'm ready for the Katie days now. Go Boilers!

I think it's Kristy Curry's fault. She is why SV was hired. Can't believe it's been 19 years since we won the Big Ten. I'm ready for the Katie days now. Go Boilers!
Purdue has had a boatload of women's BB coaches who have left us in shock and awe: Lin Dunn, Katrina Merriweather, Nell Fortner, Carolyn Peck, Kristy Curry, MaChelle Joseph and I forgot the name of that asst coach who turned us in to the NCAA because Merriweather helped a player write a paper.

Purdue has had a boatload of women's BB coaches who have left us in shock and awe: Lin Dunn, Katrina Merriweather, Nell Fortner, Carolyn Peck, Kristy Curry, MaChelle Joseph and I forgot the name of that asst coach who turned us in to the NCAA because Merriweather helped a player write a paper.
Stackhouse?

And did KM help her write it or did she just flat out write it for her? My recollection is more the latter but it's been awhile. And why didn't Curry report it when it came to light?

Stackhouse?

And did KM help her write it or did she just flat out write it for her? My recollection is more the latter but it's been awhile. And why didn't Curry report it when it came to light?
Too long ago to remember all of the details and admittedly did not spend the time to go back and look through everything...I thought the paper was written, KM revised/fixed it...essentially rewrote it.

As for Curry...she did not want to be implicated in any way likely, and, especially in that there were likely other things that came to light, or, some that had not yet...and she did not want to be associated with either. She was concerned only about keeping her name out of anything at that point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT