nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
When: Tonight

Where: Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln NE

Tip-Off: 7 PM

TV: Big Ten Network

Head Coaches:

Purdue: Matt Painter (11th season as Purdue HC)

Nebraska: Tim Miles (4th season as Nebraska HC)

Projected Starters:

Purdue:

1 #3 P.J. Thompson 5'9 180 So.

2 #35 Rapheal Davis 6'5 210 Sr.

3 #12 Vince Edwards 6'8 220 So.

4 #50 Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan 6'9 245 Fr.

5 #20 A.J. Hammons 7'0 250 Sr.

Nebraska:

1 #0 Tai Webster 6'5 190 Jr.: averaging 9.6 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 2 APG, 2.2 TPG, 47% FG's (102-216), 76% FT's (58-76), 32% 3PT's (16-50), and 26.8 MPG in 29 GP

2/1 #32 Benny Parker 5'9 175 Sr.: averaging 4.7 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 2.2 APG, 38% FG's (48-126), 83% FT's (19-23), 33% 3PT's (22-67), and 25.6 MPG in 29 GP

3/4 #31 Shavon Shields 6'6 215 Sr.: averaging 16 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.3 SPG, 2.8 APG, 2.4 TPG, 47% FG's (148-313), 75% FT's (85-114), 34% 3PT's (20-59), and 30.4 MPG in 25 GP

3/4 #3 Andrew White 6'7 220 Jr. (transfer from Kansas): averaging 17.1 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 49% FG's (170-347), 78% FT's (80-102), 41% 3PT's (75-182), and 29.9 MPG in 29 GP

5/4 #12 Michael Jacobson 6'8 220 Fr.: averaging 4.8 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 43% FG's (44-102), 77% FT's (47-61), 27% 3PT's (3-11), and 17.8 MPG in 29 GP

Projected Reserve Regulars:

Purdue:

1 #1 Johnny Hill 6'2 180 Sr. (graduate transfer from Texas-Arlington; previously at Illinois State)

2/1 #31 Dakota Mathias 6'4 190 So.

2 #14 Ryan Cline 6'5 180 Fr.

5 #44 Isaac Haas 7'2 280 So.

Nebraska:

1 #5 Glynn Watson 5'11 160 Fr.: averaging 8.7 PPG, 1.2 SPG, 2.5 APG, 39% (99-255), 76% FT's (34-45), 30% (20-66), and 24.2 MPG in 29 GP

3 #10 Jack McVeigh 6'7 210 Fr.: averaging 5.6 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 38% FG's (54-144), 69% FT's (20-29), 36% 3PT's (33-92), and 18 MPG in 29 GP

4 #30 Ed Morrow 6'6 220 Fr.: averaging 3.6 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 63% FG's (40-64), 48% FT's (10-21), no 3PT's attempted, and 13.7 MPG in 25 GP

5/4 #24 Jake Hammond 6'9 225 So. (RS): averaging 2.5 PPG, 3 RPG, 44% FG's (23-52), 46% FT's (17-37), no 3PT's attempted, and 11.6 MPG in 25 GP

Who Might Play:

Purdue:

2/3 #21 Kendall Stephens 6'7 195 Jr.

Nebraska:

1/2 #11 Bakari Evelyn 6'1 170 Fr.: averaging 1.3 PPG, 27% FG's (6-22), 100% FT's (8-8), 7% 3PT's (1-14), and 5.4 MPG in 16 GP

4/3 #23 Nick Fuller 6'7 210 So. (RS): averaging 2.2 PPG, 52% FG's (14-27), 55% FT's (16-29), 0% 3PT's (0-2), and 8.6 MPG in 20 GP

Boiler Up

Last edited:
Reactions: dumpsterFyre
1) Feed the post....Nebraska has a thin front line and if we exploit it with Haas, AJH and Biggie, we will win this game with no issues...
2) Rebound the ball at both ends...give them no second looks...we do this we control the game and win.
3) Get Nebraska in foul trouble by driving the ball to the basket and getting Nebraska to go to the bench guys

Just do what we do and we should win this one by 8/9 points......

I predict it being sloppy in the first half but Purdue is focused in the second half and pull away in last 5 minutes.

I predict Purdue 78 Nebraska 69.

Boiler Up!

I just want to see the most focused 40 minutes of Purdue basketball yet this year. No careless turnovers. No sloppy fouls. No forced shots.

Take these guys seriously. Play hard. Get out of there with a W.

71-66 good guys

Reactions: ahhculdee and BBG
This game has me nervous simply because it is set up for a trap/letdown kind of game. Last home game I think for the season for them and they have beaten MSU and played Maryland tough.

Can't sleep on these guys or look ahead to Sunday at all.

We need to keep surging forward with imminence of the post-season. Play to our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses as much as possible for 40 minutes. Play loose & confident, with good decision making. Let's get a double digit win.

This game has me nervous simply because it is set up for a trap/letdown kind of game. Last home game I think for the season for them and they have beaten MSU and played Maryland tough.

Can't sleep on these guys or look ahead to Sunday at all.
No we can't. Look what happened at Michigan. We got out rebounded by a team we should have dominated on the boards.

It's not much different this game from any others. 1. AJ comes to play hard, 2. at least one perimeter player hits his shots, 3. Drive the lane at least 15 times. 4. Swanni limits his turnovers.

Out rebounding them is important, but if AJ comes to play, that will happen. I think it happens for us, even if it is away. 81-66 KaBAM

Ray, A.J., and Kendall should remember that 19-point beatdown they suffered in Lincoln two years ago and use it as motivation to go out and be relentless on both ends the entire game. Beat them by 50 points if they can! (half-joking)

Ray, A.J., and Kendall should remember that 19-point beatdown they suffered in Lincoln two years ago and use it as motivation to go out and be relentless on both ends the entire game. Beat them by 50 points if they can! (half-joking)
I like what youre saying but Kendall can't use that motivation if Painter keeps him on the bench all forty minutes of the game. I hope he gets in though.

Purdue 69 Nebraska 60 (bank this one folks, I want multiple people to come back to this post and acknowledge the genius of this prediction) tuesday, march 1st @ 10:20pm. thanks in advance for your participation.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Nervous ROAD game.. Offensively, White is a match-up nightmare for Biggie. And I'm not sure how well we will be able to exploit the match-up on the other end of the floor given it is a road game. We're likely to see a lot more grabbing and holding of our bigs, some of which might be called.. I think we need to deploy a lot of the "smaller" lineup instead of giving them a decided advantage in quickness to exploit with picks and cuts to the basket. I see a result similar to their home game against Maryland.. somewhere in the neighborhood of 69-65 Purdue.

We better take them seriously just like any other B10 road game. It's time to start playing 40 good minutes, like whoever said that above, because it's time to prove we are tough enough.

Reactions: Heller and nagemj02
We better take them seriously just like any other B10 road game. It's time to start playing 40 good minutes, like whoever said that above, because it's time to prove we are tough enough.

Yes, it would be wonderful to witness two very good halves by the Boilers. CMP should just tell them that the game is back to 0-0 in his mind to start the second half and that they need to outscore the opponent and win it.

I think the only way Stephens plays is if Matthias has a 180 degree turn and plays ice cold...

Cline is above Stephens on the depth chart now too.

In the limited amount of time that Stephens has seen in games since his return, he simply has t looked the part of a truly focused and all-in player. I think he is truly struggling with the loss of his close friend and maybe traveling more with the team in the coming weeks will help him more and more. I hope he gets a bit of playing time but both Mathiad and Cline have earned their playing time up to this point and have each played well enough to win Purdue multiple games this season or brought them back. I'm not sure Stephens can boast that.

I am the only one who is really, really worried about this game? I thought we really struggled to defend them in Mackey, and that was when they had their best scorer on the bench with fouls for most of the first half. I am still not confident that we can play well on the road. I think the odds are we lose this game. I would say 52 and 1/2% chance that Nebraska wins. Pretty much 50/50, but I am thinking Nebraska steals this one.

Purdue 69 Nebraska 60 (bank this one folks, I want multiple people to come back to this post and acknowledge the genius of this prediction) tuesday, march 1st @ 10:20pm. thanks in advance for your participation.

You are a freaking troll idiot, probably one of the more stupid I have ever seen on any forum! Please get rid of this guy and boiler-deuce!

I think this team proves something tonight.

Reactions: MDS3
You are a freaking troll idiot, probably one of the more stupid I have ever seen on any forum! Please get rid of this guy and boiler-deuce!

I think this team proves something tonight.
You are probably the troll. I am at least a genuine Boiler fan. GO BOILERS,,,and no, there's nothing to prove. We know we are better than Nebraska.

I am the only one who is really, really worried about this game? I thought we really struggled to defend them in Mackey, and that was when they had their best scorer on the bench with fouls for most of the first half. I am still not confident that we can play well on the road. I think the odds are we lose this game. I would say 52 and 1/2% chance that Nebraska wins. Pretty much 50/50, but I am thinking Nebraska steals this one.
It has all the makings.. road game, possible let down after a big home win, opponent w/ skilled stretch 4 player.. which is why you see a lot of single digit predictions. Honestly I am more concerned about this one than the finale against Wisconsin. But I think we win them both narrowly.

Reactions: nagemj02
It has all the makings.. road game, possible let down after a big home win, opponent w/ skilled stretch 4 player.. which is why you see a lot of single digit predictions. Honestly I am more concerned about this one than the finale against Wisconsin. But I think we win them both narrowly.

Yes, since the Boilers play man-to-man (albeit in a couple of different forms), will Swanigan be guarding Andrew White most of the time? That is the matchup that is most concerning on the defensive end makes me wish CMP practiced a 3-2 zone (Swanigan and Hammons in the back) so he could have it in his back pocket in case the man D isn't effective in these matchups.

On the offensive end, we know they will have the post-up advantage in the paint all game, so that's always an option, even if it's good to move the ball into other open spaces and have the guards and wings be aggressive with the dribble from time-to-time.

Boiler Up

Reactions: Schnelk
It was the usual rollercoaster of back-and-forth runs, but they put them away last night! Shields went off (he's maybe scored in double-figures every single game of his career vs. Purdue) but they contained Andrew White and pretty much everyone else. Mathias had another good game (he's surging with confidence) and the usual suspects played well (Hammons, Edwards, Swanigan, Haas). Davis had another low-scoring game on the road but certainly did a good job defensively and Cline made his open jumpers.

Beat Wisconsin on Senior Day!

Boiler Up

Reactions: rgarlitz
Purdue 68 Nebraska 65

Davis and Edwards lead the way and AJ gets a modest double double. BOOK IT!

Well, I've made more stellar predictions in my day. Nailed Edwards leading and getting the win, but a swing and miss on Davis, AJ and score. Meh. I'll take it. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT