ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue loses to Maryland, post-game press video ...

A tired looking bunch. Who knows what would have happened had we obtained the 4th seed.

We would have lost to Maryland. We have no answer for the combination of Jones inside and their outside shooters. Their two best players were not McDonald's AA, but their freshman PG and five other players who are mostly freshman and sophomores are so they will continue to be the power of the league. If we had landed Evans and Cooks we would have been back in the hunt. Interesting that the Terps have 15 scholarshipped players on roster.

Saw Dana Evans play against Northridge in regionals at LaPorte a few weeks back. Looked terrible. Clearly athletic and got where she wanted to on the floor but couldn't finish and I believe she took all but a few of their shots in the 2nd half. I walked away almost relieved she wasn't coming to Purdue.

We would have lost to Maryland. We have no answer for the combination of Jones inside and their outside shooters. Their two best players were not McDonald's AA, but their freshman PG and five other players who are mostly freshman and sophomores are so they will continue to be the power of the league. If we had landed Evans and Cooks we would have been back in the hunt. Interesting that the Terps have 15 scholarshipped players on roster.
You could have said (and most did say) the same about our chances of beating Ohio State, the one team to beat Maryland. Yes, they clearly have superior talent but "on any given night..." But that almost certainly will not happen when a fatigued team is playing a rested, superior one.

Saw Dana Evans play against Northridge in regionals at LaPorte a few weeks back. Looked terrible. Clearly athletic and got where she wanted to on the floor but couldn't finish and I believe she took all but a few of their shots in the 2nd half. I walked away almost relieved she wasn't coming to Purdue.

So you think your one game observation trumps those numerous scouts and coaches (including Purdue's) who placed her in the Top Ten players in the nation? Ok

You could have said (and most did say) the same about our chances of beating Ohio State, the one team to beat Maryland. Yes, they clearly have superior talent but "on any given night..." But that almost certainly will not happen with a fatigued team is playing a rested, superior one.

OSU had nobody like Jones. McCoy might develop into a superior post, , but as a freshman could not compare with Jones. When it comes the any given night there are 12 teams in the Big Ten with 58 (corrected from 57) which are still waiting for that night!

So you think your one game observation trumps those numerous scouts and coaches (including Purdue's) who placed her in the Top Ten players in the nation? Ok
Wow, des. I appreciate your years and years of experience and accumulated knowledge... I really do. But if I, as a physician, were as condescending to my patients when they say something I think is not very intelligent as you are to others on this and the premium board, no one would ever see me a second time.

Wow, des. I appreciate your years and years of experience and accumulated knowledge... I really do. But if I, as a physician, were as condescending to my patients when they say something I think is not very intelligent as you are to others on this and the premium board, no one would ever see me a second time.

It's what he does. That's fine. I'm also very condescending to him because it's hard for him to see anything with his nose still so far up Kristy Curry's backside.

OSU had nobody like Jones. McCoy might develop into a superior post, , but as a freshman could not compare with Jones. When it comes the any given night there are 12 teams in the Big Ten with 58 (corrected from 57) which are still waiting for that night!
You are exactly correct... Jones is one of a kind in the B1G. Yet, somehow OSU beat Maryland. I did not say it was likely Purdue could beat them, I just said the chances were not zero as you seem to think. I guess we will have to disagree on that.

It's what he does. That's fine. I'm also very condescending to him because it's hard for him to see anything with his nose still so far up Kristy Curry's backside.

When we once again have a coach who can match her performance please don't hesitate to let me know. In the meantime, what we see is what we've got. I have no doubts SV is a better game coach than KC, but in the gane of basketball in game coaching only goes as far as the talent the coach has been able to bring on board.

When we once again have a coach who can match her performance please don't hesitate to let me know. In the meantime, what we see is what we've got. I have no doubts SV is a better game coach than KC, but in the gane of basketball in game coaching only goes as far as the talent the coach has been able to bring on board.

And whatever it takes to get that talent right? Hire whoever? Do schoolwork for players? So long as you get that talent you don't really care what's going on do you?

You are exactly correct... Jones is one of a kind in the B1G. Yet, somehow OSU beat Maryland. I did not say it was likely Purdue could beat them, I just said the chances were not zero as you seem to think. I guess we will have to disagree on that.

OSU has beaten Maryland 3 of 5 meetings. OSU has excellent talent, but the difference would appear to be coaching.

And whatever it takes to get that talent right? Hire whoever? Do schoolwork for players? So long as you get that talent you don't really care what's going on do you?

Doc, this puppy deserves nothing but condecension!

Doc, this puppy deserves nothing but condecension!

Yea I didn't think you'd have anything to say when it came to the academic dishonesty of the prior coaching staff and them leaving us on probation.

Yea I didn't think you'd have anything to say when it came to the academic dishonesty of the prior coaching staff and them leaving us on probation.

The NCAA investigated, found the guilty party, and as was appropriate they punished the guilty party. Nobody else at Purdue or at any other school who was connected with the violations has ever been investigated since. If you have any evidence not disclosed previously just produce it.

The NCAA investigated, found the guilty party, and as was appropriate they punished the guilty party. Nobody else at Purdue or at any other school who was connected with the violations has ever been investigated since. If you have any evidence not disclosed previously just produce it.

Yes because you know who left when that all went down? I know we haven't been investigated since because the problems were removed!

Yes because you know who left when that all went down? I know we haven't been investigated since because the problems were removed!

You suggest guilt by the HC? Then why no show cause? For that matter, why no show cause for the men's HC when violations were committed by an assistant cosch? Do you believe GK was a cheater? If not then how come you accuse the Webb coach of cheating under almost exactly the same conditions with the same NCAA ruling?

You suggest guilt by the HC? Then why no show cause? For that matter, why no show cause for the men's HC when violations were committed by an assistant cosch? Do you believe GK was a cheater? If not then how come you accuse the Webb coach of cheating under almost exactly the same conditions with the same NCAA ruling?

The head coach is ultimately responsible for everything going on in the program so yes I consider both Curry and Keady responsible for those respective problems. I also think the the respective assistant coaches took full blame to protect the head coach.

The head coach is ultimately responsible for everything going on in the program so yes I consider both Curry and Keady responsible for those respective problems. I also think the the respective assistant coaches took full blame to protect the head coach.

So you appear to not believe in "rogue" assistant coaches and you apparently do not believe that having no evidence of violations prior to, or subsequent to, the violations by an assistant coach is an indicator of a head coach who runs a clean program?

So you appear to not believe in "rogue" assistant coaches and you apparently do not believe that having no evidence of violations prior to, or subsequent to, the violations by an assistant coach is an indicator of a head coach who runs a clean program?

Who hires the assistant coaches?

I'm willing to believe that a head coach chooses not to look too closely at assistant coaches with very close ties to very highly rated recruits who will take your program to a higher level.

Let's just enjoy that B10 tourney performance, hope for a first round win, and see if that can influence some recruits for next fall.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I am not sure why Kristy Curry is considered a great recruiter. Her records at Texas Tech and
Alabama are poor. I think Katrina. Merriweather was the recruiter who got more of the top players than Kristy did. And Kristy inherited a very positive situation!!

I know there is another side to this story but the article is pretty devastating to Curry's character and ethics. It is hard for me to come up with how this behavior can be justified.

Surprised des hasn't come by to try to justify it. Actually with his win-at-any-cost mentality he likely views this as completely justifiable.

I am not sure why Kristy Curry is considered a great recruiter. Her records at Texas Tech and
Alabama are poor. I think Katrina. Merriweather was the recruiter who got more of the top players than Kristy did. And Kristy inherited a very positive situation!!

Curry recruited Wright (# 1), Valek ((Top 10), Graham (Top 15), Hurns (FF Tourney selection with Wright as freshmen), Jones and Hicks. This remains the winningest class in Purdue Wbb history. Merriweather was not at Purdue then. She had been a lead recruiter for Leon Barmore. Merriweather had little to do with recruitment of McDonald's AA's Katie Geralds and Eric Lawless.

Seems like Curry was the great recruiter, and Versyp the better X&O coach. We need a package deal here, with both strengths in one package. Can't have success without both.

Reactions: destewart
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT