ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands transfer offensive lineman

Are we supposed to get excited about transfers from NM and Ball State? Our OL was atrocious last year with the injuries and inexperience, not sure how these guys are going to help in the big ten? Fill me in more please.

Reactions: gold67
Are we supposed to get excited about transfers from NM and Ball State? Our OL was atrocious last year with the injuries and inexperience, not sure how these guys are going to help in the big ten? Fill me in more please.
I no longer get excited about any new players until they actually hit the field and make good plays for us on Saturdays. I always wonder what happened to those new recruits that mysteriously disappear forever after signing with us when I have had high hopes for them.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Wow—
Brilliant job of welcoming an in-state kid to the finest university in the state!

Welcome Aboard, Corey - this Boilermaker is looking forward to your efforts to bring about the next great iteration of Purdue football!

Our OL was so bad, I'm looking forward to just having new bodies in the mix. Not exciting, no. But experienced players with starting experience who've done well are welcome IMO.

I'm looking for that 1 yard push we couldn't get last year. Then, let's see if they can get more.

Reactions: Bippus33
Our OL was so bad, I'm looking forward to just having new bodies in the mix. Not exciting, no. But experienced players with starting experience who've done well are welcome IMO.

I'm looking for that 1 yard push we couldn't get last year. Then, let's see if they can get more.
Was it that bad tho? Didn’t we have the #1 rushing attack in conference games?

You could argue consistency of effort and playcalling but with a healthy Mbow, Moussa and Hartwig and guys with a pulse at Guard, the line is fine IMO. We lacked depth. These guys will provide that.

Need to be better in the pass game. Better Playcalling will help there

Was it that bad tho? Didn’t we have the #1 rushing attack in conference games?

You could argue consistency of effort and playcalling but with a healthy Mbow, Moussa and Hartwig and guys with a pulse at Guard, the line is fine IMO. We lacked depth. These guys will provide that.

Need to be better in the pass game. Better Playcalling will help there
Maybe you're right. I'm still having nightmares of our inability to move the line on 4th and inches.

I think our rushing attack most successfully when attacking the outside on read option near the end of the season.

You're definitely right in pass protection. But Card still needs to make better decisions, and make them faster. He got better at the end of the year. Hopefully that will carry over to next season.

Wow—
Brilliant job of welcoming an in-state kid to the finest university in the state!

Welcome Aboard, Corey - this Boilermaker is looking forward to your efforts to bring about the next great iteration of Purdue football!
yea, welcome Corey, he seems legit, as for the guy from New Mex, that's for depth. Wish we'd offer the TE from Ball St Brady Hunt

Maybe you're right. I'm still having nightmares of our inability to move the line on 4th and inches.

I think our rushing attack most successfully when attacking the outside on read option near the end of the season.

You're definitely right in pass protection. But Card still needs to make better decisions, and make them faster. He got better at the end of the year. Hopefully that will carry over to next season.
Agree on all of it. Needed push and when we couldn’t we just kept going to the well when we needed to adjust. We finally did and utilized Card and the offense opened up significantly.

Agree he had a stretch of the season where he couldn’t make a decision and was a deer in headlights out there.

Can build on the run game if we get a good transfer RB to compliment Mockobee, some serviceable WRs and some better playcalling.

Agree on all of it. Needed push and when we couldn’t we just kept going to the well when we needed to adjust. We finally did and utilized Card and the offense opened up significantly.

Agree he had a stretch of the season where he couldn’t make a decision and was a deer in headlights out there.

Can build on the run game if we get a good transfer RB to compliment Mockobee, some serviceable WRs and some better playcalling.
like to see Reggie Love join the team

Reactions: boiledmeconium

like to see Reggie Love join the team
I'd love to get Love.

What did you expect? A 5 star starter from Ohio st to want to come to Purdue? It makes total sense when we recruit MAC caliber players out of high school, that we get MAC caliber players via the transfer portal. At least the guy from Ball st was a 2 year starter. How bad can he be?

What did you expect? A 5 star starter from Ohio st to want to come to Purdue? It makes total sense when we recruit MAC caliber players out of high school, that we get MAC caliber players via the transfer portal. At least the guy from Ball st was a 2 year starter. How bad can he be?
performed well at Ball St too, the QB from Ball St certainly made Illini alot better this year. Also Vinatieri is in the portal too

Last edited:
Inside source says MAC teams are really hurting financially! Junior left both Miami (Ohio) and Ball st to coach at OSU.

I well remember David Krieg, the QB for the Seahawks that went to the mighty Milton College, a small school of about 600 students in southern Wisconsin.. Two of my friends that flunked out of their universities went there, and this was then the source of most students in the early 1960s. After a year, they would return to the school they flunked out of. One was even on their basketball team after being not good enough to play for our 3-4 times larger high school.

Yep, Charlie Jones, who started at Buffalo says hello...
I think you can support it and enjoy it but also acknowledge it’s gotta be hard for G5 schools to have their top guys walk out of the program after investing 2-4 years in development of them.

It does hurt their product and makes them less competitive with the big boys.

The flip side being they will get guys who cycle down from P5 who couldn’t play at our level but can contribute, play and get better there.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I well remember David Krieg, the QB for the Seahawks that went to the mighty Milton College, a small school of about 600 students in southern Wisconsin.. Two of my friends that flunked out of their universities went there, and this was then the source of most students in the early 1960s. After a year, they would return to the school they flunked out of. One was even on their basketball team after being not good enough to play for our 3-4 times larger high school.
Diggin deep in the archives for that nugget. :D

There are always exceptions to the rule. The question is do you go after those exceptions? Or do you recruit the same players your competition recruits?

Purdue has certainly had its share of 4 star players who were total busts. Maybe the 2-3 star and unrated players can turn out to be ok . Mockabee and AOC were walkons

Purdue has recruited a lot of juco players. A couple turned out to be ok. A couple of the players Brohm brought with him from WKU turned out ok especially that LB who was the DCoord’s son.

Love is a starting QB for the Packers as is Watson and Kraft.

I guess players from small schools can be as good as the current players on a team.

There are always exceptions to the rule. The question is do you go after those exceptions? Or do you recruit the same players your competition recruits?

Purdue has certainly had its share of 4 star players who were total busts. Maybe the 2-3 star and unrated players can turn out to be ok . Mockabee and AOC were walkons

Purdue has recruited a lot of juco players. A couple turned out to be ok. A couple of the players Brohm brought with him from WKU turned out ok especially that LB who was the DCoord’s son.

Love is a starting QB for the Packers as is Watson and Kraft.

I guess players from small schools can be as good as the current players on a team.
the guy from N. Mexico is going to have to put some good weight on

the guy from N. Mexico is going to have to put some good weight on
Hazell had a huge problem in placing speed as a higher priority over actual physical build. His defensive linemen were all in the 250 range. In the 4th quarter they got tired of constantly running around the 300-350 pound blockers of UW, and would essentially be flattened like pancakes! Speed is nice for the first couple of quarters. To be successful in the BIG 10, you need your linemen both on offense and defense to be huge! Most successful BIG 10 coaches have learned from the mistakes of others.

What is not being mentioned is that most athletes have already started weight training and conditioning programs in high school. Look at WR Moore. He was famous for his high school conditioning. And his leg pressing ability. Redshirting at Purdue really doesn’t add much more weight or strength to the elite athlete any more. You either have it or you never will. This is not the 80’s where high schools didn’t have exercise facilities. Today, communities have more exercise facilities than bars and Walmart cashiers combined!

Don’t think it’s fair to judge their abilities before they take the field. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Can’t be much worse than this year!

Welcome Corey! Boiler up!

I was once banned from posting because I was too critical of Hazell and the caliber of players he recruited! I was told I was too harsh and these were only little boys. I was just saying what recruiters had already posted nationally for the last 3 years about these supposed fragile minded athletes.

When it was realized what I had said about Hazell and the caliber of his recruits was accurate, I was given back my posting ability.

A lot of people were very angry at me for not giving Hazell 4 years to build his team and my calling for his immediate firing before he ever coached a game! But it was obvious in his lack of recruiting , in his spring games and in his summer practices he was in way over his head.

And I made similar remarks about his recruiting of players whose only other offers were from MAC schools. I questioned why he even bothered his time recruiting the same players Toledo and Western Michigan and Indiana st recruited!

I might not know much, but I knew you can’t win many games in the BIG 10 with MAC caliber talent!

Walters has a tough job . At least he is recruiting players other BIG 10 teams are also recruiting. It would be nice if he were able to beat out Penn St, Mich, Iowa, UW OSU and other power 5 for his recruits rather than South Dakota St .

I believe Walters is doing a better job than Hazell did. Will it translate into success on the field? I am saddened that Purdue. Is competitive in almost every sport other than football. It concerns me when Northwestern and Minnesota are better than Purdue! Instead of adding teams like usc, UCLA wash and Oregon, we should have added bottom feeder schools we could actually beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT