ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue,IU defence

Tucsonboiler2

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2014
I recently read a peegs thread where a number of PU posters were telling them why we should win next year. I'm here to add fuel to the fire. Most would agree that Purdue had the best defense in the big. More contoversially, our Achilles heel was guarding the four. I am not bashing Vince. He will be all-big,and soon.He was a frosh guarding older, larger players. Next year he might guard the 4 ten min. or so. We will be better defensively next year.
Now about Iu defense. In general, Iu's half court d is ok, but when you look at their athleticism you have to wonder why they are not very good. .Their transition defense is terrible. They rarely stop the ball on the fast break. Yogi is ok on d, and Williams did an ok job on vince last year, but that was about it. Maybe that was a bit harsh. They should get credit for PU's poor 3pt shooting that nite(2 for someteen) but we won that game. I'm not saying we win next yr, but I like our chances. Iu's center will be an important piece next year, but do something about your transition d.

I recently read a peegs thread where a number of PU posters were telling them why we should win next year. I'm here to add fuel to the fire. Most would agree that Purdue had the best defense in the big. More contoversially, our Achilles heel was guarding the four. I am not bashing Vince. He will be all-big,and soon.He was a frosh guarding older, larger players. Next year he might guard the 4 ten min. or so. We will be better defensively next year.
Now about Iu defense. In general, Iu's half court d is ok, but when you look at their athleticism you have to wonder why they are not very good. .Their transition defense is terrible. They rarely stop the ball on the fast break. Yogi is ok on d, and Williams did an ok job on vince last year, but that was about it. Maybe that was a bit harsh. They should get credit for PU's poor 3pt shooting that nite(2 for someteen) but we won that game. I'm not saying we win next yr, but I like our chances. Iu's center will be an important piece next year, but do something about your transition d.
VCU just made another layup.

Statiscally, IU and Purdue were both pretty bad in transition D, but Purdue was much better than IU in half court D. Preventing easy transition buckets will be key for Purdue this coming season.

IU's D was bad because they view themselves as a scoring machine. No time to put in on D it get's in the way of ESPN highlights.

IU doesn't exist to me until the week we play them......

So who cares...next!
You have no idea how much more happiness would be in your life if you enjoyed the giggles and smiles and head shakes that come from reading a little IU humor on the PeegStye every once in awhile.

Speaking of reading Peegs, I was over there and there is an interesting thread on recruiting. Evidently there has been an article published about IU recruiting budget. It seems IU is spending almost double of any other BIG school recruiting.

They also have almost double the number of offers out to kids for 2016.

On a side note, this makes one think a bit. They are doing a lot of recruiting outside Indiana. I had heard Indiana high school basketball coaches had become somewhat jaded with the IU coach, but this tends to lend credence to that rumor.

:cool:

Speaking of reading Peegs, I was over there and there is an interesting thread on recruiting. Evidently there has been an article published about IU recruiting budget. It seems IU is spending almost double of any other BIG school recruiting.

On a side note, this makes one think a bit. They are doing a lot of recruiting outside Indiana. I had heard Indiana high school basketball coaches had become somewhat jaded with the IU coach, but this tends to lend credence to that rumor.

Blackmon was the last Indiana kid they were in on...and they almost lost him due to feelings towards the coach.

Before that, was it Zeller?

Now, those are 2 pretty good recruits don't get me wrong...but 2017 is loaded in state and if we are playing well it could be a 2007 baby boilers good-type class for us where IU will most likely not be a factor for most of those kids if things stay true to how they are now. 25 years ago, Ryan Cline and Caleb Swanigan would have gone to IU...no questions asked.

Reactions: SantaBoiler

Peegs is fun to read just for the fact that every thread evolves into a "I love/ I hate CTC" fest. Makes me feel like I'm watching a bunch of trailer park pit-bulls fighting over a piece of roadkill.....

I'll just leave this here....

7527fea1d122fab1205e27e82669ebf200a53fff4ed0fa7a279ea8ae03084a87.jpg

Reactions: Heller
druggie....
D'ough! I should have caught that. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. You were being clever and I missed it.

Peegs is sometimes a train wreak. It is fun, but "there, for the grace of a good season, go I". The arguments are similar to those we saw a year ago, on this board. Entrenched in some folks mind is the position that if you think any thing less than an NC as acceptable, then you are accepting mediocrity. There is no winning that argument. You can't say we are building, or give the coach some breathing room. No, anything less than an NC demonstrates that you are a loser. It is an argument that is full of sh-t, but never the less it is hard to argue against.

Anyone remember the posterized dunk that JO laid on the Loosiers? That happened in the halfcourt while IU was on D. No offense but they suck and have had one defensive kid in Oladipo since Crean got there. I think the Johnson kid could be good, but not when his two running mates are more concerned over their scoring average than they are defending anyone.

I really thought we were going to win that game when JO fouled out...Yogi made a shot to put us up one, and Painter called TO with close to 10 left on shot clock. He ran the most simple out of bounds play "picket fence" where Davis took the inbounds pass, ran off one screen at top of key, and scored on a non contested layup. There was NO defense on that play either.

Ha ha. All five white jerseys are within a couple feet of him. That's some nice defense from Williams in that clip BTW.

Don't forget the very next play where Ray D grabbed a rebound and took it full court through the entire iu "defense" for an extremely easy layup.

ADVERTISEMENT