ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has the second largest number of foreign students

Bill4411

All-American
Jun 24, 2001
Apparently Purdue has the second largest number of foreign students enrolled in the United States. Illinois has the 4th highest, USC has the highest number with 12,480 students. It's been awhile since I was a student but those numbers surprised me.

Wall Street Journal

Purdue has a long history of foreign students (+100 years), particularly China. Can you imagine the trip from China to WL over 100 years ago? Horse or cart (perhaps train) to the Chinese East Coast, boat ride to the US West Coast (one month), train to WL (weeks).

Based on this history and Purdue's size and technical credentials, I'm not surprised by the ranking.

When my daughter and I toured campus last year, and Krannert under grad in particular, I was dumbfounded by the number of Asian students, especially Chinese. There was one 90 second period where we were walking, I think on the 2 or 3 floor of Krannert, where there's a ton of computing stations/rooms, and also a studio to conduct and record interviews and speeches and such, where we did not see a single 'Anglo' student. Our recruiter told us that asian students are 21% of Purdue's undergrad population iirc, with heavier concentrations in Engineering and Business.

Our student host was also asian, but was from a medium size town in Indiana....iirc, Peru, Marion or Kokomo...one of those. Great host/great kid btw.

Our daughter ended up at Michigan, where she's applying to the Ross undergrad business school now. I've been on the campus more than a few times as a result and I am surprised UMich is not on that list also, but it lists total number of asian students, not a per capita. If it was per capita, Michigan would no doubt be up there.

All of this brings up the subject of the number of seats in the school that are being taken up by foreign students, who I am told are paying out of state tuition plus a $1,000/semester foreign student fee. IMO, that is absolutely ridiculous. We are selling out, at bargain prices, one of this country's most valuable assets, our extensive university systems, to students whose families have paid NO WHERE near as much in taxes over the years, both in federal taxes and state taxes. We are vastly under-valuing ourselves and our country's infrastructure, be in physical or non-physical, to say nothing of the plain opportunity.

"All of this brings up the subject of the number of seats in the school that are being taken up by foreign students, who I am told are paying out of state tuition plus a $1,000/semester foreign student fee. IMO, that is absolutely ridiculous. We are selling out, at bargain prices, one of this country's most valuable assets, our extensive university systems, to students whose families have paid NO WHERE near as much in taxes over the years, both in federal taxes and state taxes. We are vastly under-valuing ourselves and our country's infrastructure, be in physical or non-physical, to say nothing of the plain opportunity. "

Let me get this straight. You are suggesting that out-of-state fees undervalue education? Take Arizona State from that list. ASU as far as I know isn't that good academically. Out state tuition there runs $40K per year, which isn't exactly a bargain.

Most universities use foreigners and out-of-staters as sugar daddies in some sense. In case you can't tell, imho, bringing in foreign students is a very smart way to use existing infrastructure and help subsidize education for the rest of us (locals). jmho of course.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Boiler20:
When my daughter and I toured campus last year, and Krannert under grad in particular, I was dumbfounded by the number of Asian students, especially Chinese. There was one 90 second period where we were walking, I think on the 2 or 3 floor of Krannert, where there's a ton of computing stations/rooms, and also a studio to conduct and record interviews and speeches and such, where we did not see a single 'Anglo' student.

That's because they use the library as a place to simply hang out and talk loudly to each other.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT