ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Defense

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Pre tourney I wondered if Purdue's D was good enough this early to hang with these teams. Did not think it was up to the challenge yet in this young season. Especially again some of these bigger physical guards.

While not perfect, I have been pleasantly surprised by their D out @ Honolulu. They have matched the toughness of the teams they played and shut 2 problem players off in H2.

That said, I wish they were not playing M after such a physical exhausting game. Hope they have enough left on both sides to handle a very smart talented basketball team in M with one of the best PGs in the country, and likely a press that they might get tonight.

Win or lose tonight.....I know with MC & H being brought along this year, Purdue, baring injuries, is not close to as good as they can be this year. They will improve and be even better once those 2 frosh develop over the year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
We haven't played anywhere near our potential yet. Every game this year part of our squad has been off. We still haven't found the 4 position yet in any games.

Loyer had a beauty last night but outside of 1 Furst Free Throw NOBODY except Loyer and Edey even scored in the entire first half.

Two of the four games prior Loyer finished with only 2 points. Smith had a rough go last night, Edey almost fouled out last night ... which never happens. Colvin looked like a freshman, Free Throws were atrocious, shots haven't been falling, but we are still winning which in the end is all that matters.

If all the parts are working in sync we might be able to smoke a couple NBA teams. We just haven't seen it all come together yet. Maybe tonight is the night.

Pre tourney I wondered if Purdue's D was good enough this early to hang with these teams. Did not think it was up to the challenge yet in this young season. Especially again some of these bigger physical guards.

While not perfect, I have been pleasantly surprised by their D out @ Honolulu. They have matched the toughness of the teams they played and shut 2 problem players off in H2.

That said, I wish they were not playing M after such a physical exhausting game. Hope they have enough left on both sides to handle a very smart talented basketball team in M with one of the best PGs in the country, and likely a press that they might get tonight.

Win or lose tonight.....I know with MC & H being brought along this year, Purdue, baring injuries, is not close to as good as they can be this year. They will improve and be even better once those 2 frosh develop over the year.
A good test after a physical match, kind of like the fists game in March and having to bounce back quickly. I’d have to also chalk up the defense to maybe the stadium depth perception and rims have caused a lot of misses. All teams are shooting abysmal all around…hopefully it’s more some defense tho!

Reactions: Boiler Buck
We haven't played anywhere near our potential yet. Every game this year part of our squad has been off. We still haven't found the 4 position yet in any games.

Loyer had a beauty last night but outside of 1 Furst Free Throw NOBODY except Loyer and Edey even scored in the entire first half.

Two of the four games prior Loyer finished with only 2 points. Smith had a rough go last night, Edey almost fouled out last night ... which never happens. Colvin looked like a freshman, Free Throws were atrocious, shots haven't been falling, but we are still winning which in the end is all that matters.

If all the parts are working in sync we might be able to smoke a couple NBA teams. We just haven't seen it all come together yet. Maybe tonight is the night.
We would never even score vs an NBA team lolol

There is something to be said about being able to grind out ugly wins when things aren’t going well. I’m not sure that the easy wins in last year’s Phil Knight Invitational were the best preparation for what came later last season. It is important to be able to stay mentally tough and not let frustration get in the way of execution in these situations.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT