ADVERTISEMENT

PU wins vs Kentucky

Really big win for this young team. Listened to most of the 4th set (kind of a lopsided loss for the Boilers) and then the 5th set, which was tight to the end. I think the final score was 18-16 Boilers. 4 straight match points before they finally took it. Full of grit these gals are! Impressive..

Reactions: DocRon
I was busy watching the end of our FB victory over VYech, listening to Tim Newton on his always excellent radio commentary of the football game and in addition, at the same time watching the VB game.

There was no time to post any commentary about the VB game but it was thrilling. But how can our women look so lost and overpowered one game ant then so confident and competent the next? An interesting phenomenon.

I was busy watching the end of our FB victory over VYech, listening to Tim Newton on his always excellent radio commentary of the football game and in addition, at the same time watching the VB game.

There was no time to post any commentary about the VB game but it was thrilling. But how can our women look so lost and overpowered one game ant then so confident and competent the next? An interesting phenomenon.
Just got home a little while ago from the Purdue - Kentucky volleyball match. Like the good doctor, I’m not quite sure how we went from from looking as bad as we did in set 4 to being able to pull out a set 5 win. Someone in Holloway did point out that the football game ended just about the same time as set 4. So the Holloway fans could finally devote their full support to the volleyball team for set 5. While the football game was in progress, a LOT of the fans were glued to their cell phones to follow the football game rather than the volleyball game. (I’ll except the Block Party from this. They seemed focused on the volleyball game the entire time. They are a very good student section.)
What did happen during set 4 is that we struggled with our serve receiving and our passing in general. We had real trouble generating an offense and often ended up lobbing the ball over the net which gave Kentucky a free ball to set up to ram the ball down our throats. We also did a pretty poor job of blocking in that set. Kentucky’s setter did a good job keeping us off balance.
Purdue recognized volleyball alums between sets. Among them was Stacy Mondino Hudson, former Purdue player and mother of current Eva Hudson. She got the biggest ovation.
I had attended the situation room with Dave Shondell prior to the Kentucky match. Prior to every Saturday game this season, he speaks to fans in the J Nine Club in Mackey Arena 40 minutes prior to the start time of the game. Some of what he said:
1. He said he has been getting e-mails from all over the country telling him he needed to start Anderson, including some local. (The local comment seemed aimed at some of the fans in attendance.)
2. Anderson was nervous at the start of the SMU game and struggled. Early in the second set he had considered replacing her with the grad transfer (sic) but decided to let her play thru it, and she then played well.He said to expect ups and downs from her this season.
3. Mentioned how angry he was at the start of the SMU game. Said that was because they had enphasized not letting tip shots hit the floor but we then did a bad job of that in SMU set 1. His anger in the first set of the SMU match was very obvious because you rarely see that in him.
3. He said there has been a big improvement in Hudson’s health from 2 weeks ago to now. (Which I think has previously been said on here.)
4. There are several vocal players in the team but Hudson is not one of them. She prefers to lead thru example. He said it’s the exception when she is vocal.
5. Said that Kentucky’s primary front line weapons were their 2 middle hitters/blockers Tealer and Goetzinger, and their right side hitter Rutherford, and we needed to focus on them. Turned out that we held Rutherford to 0.158 hitting but the 2 MBs hit over 0.400.
6. One thing he did not do was take questions from the fans.

Last edited:
Just got home a little while ago from the Purdue - Kentucky volleyball match. Like the good doctor, I’m not quite sure how we went from from looking as bad as we did in set 4 to being able to pull out a set 5 win. Someone in Holloway did point out that the football game ended just about the same time as set 4. So the Holloway fans could finally devote their full support to the volleyball team for set 5. While the football game was in progress, a LOT of the fans were glued to their cell phones to follow the football game rather than the volleyball game. (I’ll except the Block Party from this. They seemed focused on the volleyball game the entire time. They are a very good student section.)
What did happen during set 4 is that we struggled with our serve receiving and our passing in general. We had real trouble generating an offense and often ended up lobbing the ball over the net which gave Kentucky a free ball to set up to ram the ball down our throats. We also did a pretty poor job of blocking in that set. Kentucky’s setter did a good job keeping us off balance.
Purdue recognized volleyball alums between sets. Among them was Stacy Mondino Hudson, former Purdue player and mother of current Eva Hudson. She got the biggest ovation.
I had attended the situation room with Dave Shondell prior to the Kentucky match. Prior to every Saturday game this season, he speaks to fans in the J Nine Club in Mackey Arena 40 minutes prior to the start time of the game. Some of what he said:
1. He said he has been getting e-mails from all over the country telling him he needed to start Anderson, including some local. (The local comment seemed aimed at some of the fans in attendance.)
2. Anderson was nervous at the start of the SMU game and struggled. Early in the second set he had considered replacing her with the grad transfer (sic) but decided to let her play thru it, and she then played well.He said to expect ups and downs from her this season.
3. Mentioned how angry he was at the start of the SMU game. Said that was because they had enphasized not letting tip shots hit the floor but we then did a bad job of that in SMU set 1. His anger in the first set of the SMU match was very obvious because you rarely see that in him.
3. He said there has been a big improvement in Hudson’s health from 2 weeks ago to now. (Which I think has previously been said on here.)
4. There are several vocal players in the team but Hudson is not one of them. She prefers to lead thru example. He said it’s the exception when she is vocal.
5. Said that Kentucky’s primary front line weapons were their 2 middle hitters/blockers Tealer and Goetzinger, and their right side hitter Rutherford, and we needed to focus on them. Turned out that we held Rutherford to 0.158 hitting but the 2 MBs hit over 0.400.
Great review and summary! Thanks for posting this info.

I really look forward to your knowledgeable comments, Boilermb. Thanks a lot.

If I lived a bit closer I would see a lot more Purdue sports!

Reactions: Boilermb and DocRon
If I lived a bit closer I would see a lot more Purdue sports!
I have a 190 mile round trip to West Lafayette for games, so I limit myself to volleyball and men’s basketball. I sit with friends from West Lafayette at both Holloway and Mackey. Most of them have seats for men’s and women’s basketball, football and volleyball. I often envy them. I would likewise go to watch more sports if I lived closer!

Reactions: tjreese
I have a 190 mile round trip to West Lafayette for games, so I limit myself to volleyball and men’s basketball. I sit with friends from West Lafayette at both Holloway and Mackey. Most of them have seats for men’s and women’s basketball, football and volleyball. I often envy them. I would likewise go to watch more sports if I lived closer!
Wow, from your previous posts I imagined you lived much closer. Do you drive back after evening games or stay with your friends?

Wow, from your previous posts I imagined you lived much closer. Do you drive back after evening games or stay with your friends?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT