ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ND.....

indianphil

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
How do you think ND will fare as a program without playing BIG teams on a regular basis? I know they play OSU in like 2021, but there is a long void in there.

I believe it will hurt them and being so far removed from the ACC and I just dont see that replacing their competion from the Midwest in the BIG and their recruiting base. It's nice to have guys from everywhere on your roster, but in my mind they need the Midwest. Guys from Metro Chicago arent going to get excited about beating UNC and Wake Forrest and their ilk.

Interesting. I think the new AD has done a marevelous job of upping the competition for them. Scheduling legit big games in FL, TX, and CA is very good for their recruiting and a better litmus test of where they really rank than playing B1G teams. It leads to more balanced press coverage on them.

Frankly, Im thrilled to be done with them, and glad their schedule isnt so midwest centric. That led to them getting too full of themselves, overhyped in media, and blownout in bowls. It was an exhausting process for me that led to too many negative emotions on my part.

None of the ND fans Ive talked to see any midwest teams as rivals; just USC. Although they will give some passive aggressive elitest statement like 'I enjoy the MSU series'.

Further, they will never struggle for attendance or money. They live in a different world than we do.

For their stated reasons the ONLY two traditional rivals they intend on maintaining are Navy and USC! Their goal to play as many away FB games as possible at a neutral site and many teams have been more than willing to accommodate ND in return for a larger payout! They do have to consider three distinctly different fan bases of alumni, chicagoland fans and nationwide fans which is unique. As I have stated before all the B1G teams can do to put alittle pressure on them to return to playing FB games with the B1G is in all other sports, drop ND off their schedules and make them travel as much as possible! jmo

They are the Tiger Woods of football in that:
~They were once consistently really good.
~People who don't really follow the sport know the name, so that is who they "root" for.
~As the sport grows more popular, there is more media coverage of other teams so their name recognition boost is deteriorating as other schools are getting an equal footing.
~They are just about to the point where they have whored themselves out too much and could begin a permanent decline.

And if they lose, this will take care of itself. :)

Exactly. I just assume they lose every game, but if they do perform well, at least they earn it now. Even in 2012, it bothered me much less.

I still have crazy strong objections to them as an institution: policing themselves and TD Jesus, but at least now its a little easier to forget about them

Reactions: SuPurduePer
They have always been like that. Even the subway alumns in that town are and have been since I was a kid.

right, and not knowing how old you are I cant really comment except to clarify that there is a difference between ND fans thinking ND is great in the 80s versus great from the mid 90s through 2010. They got way out of wack with reality for a while.

Further, in my experience subway alums are the worst. I think ND, Michigan, and OSU fan base perceptions have suffered greatly for it, in that order, the past 25 years.

right, and not knowing how old you are I cant really comment except to clarify that there is a difference between ND fans thinking ND is great in the 80s versus great from the mid 90s through 2010. They got way out of wack with reality for a while.

Further, in my experience subway alums are the worst. I think ND, Michigan, and OSU fan base perceptions have suffered greatly for it, in that order, the past 25 years.
Yeah I lived in South Bend for over 26 years. Born and raised there .. as a Purdue kid and I think that the arrogance of even the kids of subway alumns made me even more of a fan of Purdue as a kid.

The last straw was when I was at the corner of Cleveland and 31 and the freakin lines they have to trigger the stop lights were in the shape of an N and D. I could go in to stories about attending games there, but that will just open a huge can of worms :D

Yeah I lived in South Bend for over 26 years. Born and raised there .. as a Purdue kid and I think that the arrogance of even the kids of subway alumns made me even more of a fan of Purdue as a kid.

The last straw was when I was at the corner of Cleveland and 31 and the freakin lines they have to trigger the stop lights were in the shape of an N and D. I could go in to stories about attending games there, but that will just open a huge can of worms :D
I was born and raised in SB and I owned an ND student bar at one time...I've seen it up close--the arrogance of ND fans. I lived very near the campus and you could see the Golden Dome from my deck. I grew up a Purdue fan in South Bend/Mishawaka. I moved in 1990, so it sounds like I missed the worst part of the new generation of arrogance. I hate those buttons that say God Loves ND. I had a button that said: GOD LOVES PURDUE TOO.

I hate those buttons that say God Loves ND.

Yeah, I could write a dissertation on this junk.

I can handle most of their stuff. Economically privileged young kids full of arrogance rubs a kid from the wrong side of the football tracks the wrong way. I can stomach that cause they are really just rooting for their team.

Taking a deity and associating him in any way with your football program is wrong.

I was born and raised in SB and I owned an ND student bar at one time...I've seen it up close--the arrogance of ND fans. I lived very near the campus and you could see the Golden Dome from my deck. I grew up a Purdue fan in South Bend/Mishawaka. I moved in 1990, so it sounds like I missed the worst part of the new generation of arrogance. I hate those buttons that say God Loves ND. I had a button that said: GOD LOVES PURDUE TOO.
Sounds like you and I are very similar in that respect. My family liked to go out to dinner when Purdue beat ND but we stayed at home when Purdue didn't. What made it worse for me is my High School song was the ND school song ....

A Purdue fan in that town just can't win ...

I know they play OSU in like 2021, but there is a long void in there.

They have MSU in 2016/2017, Ohio State 2022 / 2023, Purdue 2024 / 2025, with both MSU and Purdue 2026.

Actually think it is good for the B1G. Going to get harder and harder for them to schedule games with ND with the 9 game conference schedule.

They have MSU in 2016/2017, Ohio State 2022 / 2023, Purdue 2024 / 2025, with both MSU and Purdue 2026.

Actually think it is good for the B1G. Going to get harder and harder for them to schedule games with ND with the 9 game conference schedule.
Purdue plays ND @ home in 2020 and @ ND in 2021. The 2026 game is listed as neutral site, which could be Indy or Chicago, I suspect.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
I don't know that it will hurt ND's Midwest recruiting base. The current class has the top two offensive linemen from Ohio, the top DB from Illinois, another from Illinois and one from Michigan. There are still seven to eight spots to fill, so that may include several Midwest guys.

For their stated reasons the ONLY two traditional rivals they intend on maintaining are Navy and USC! Their goal to play as many away FB games as possible at a neutral site and many teams have been more than willing to accommodate ND in return for a larger payout! They do have to consider three distinctly different fan bases of alumni, chicagoland fans and nationwide fans which is unique. As I have stated before all the B1G teams can do to put alittle pressure on them to return to playing FB games with the B1G is in all other sports, drop ND off their schedules and make them travel as much as possible! jmo

This is what I'd like to see, all B1G schools drop them from all sports, but it probably won't happen.
I live in SB now and they only become more arrogant as time goes on.
What did they have last year, like 3 true away games?

3 times they played in a college stadium that was not S. Bend last year.

Syracuse and Navy both played ND at neutral locations, even though ND was the 'away' team both times. This was done to allow higher capacity and both of those schools to make more money off of the game. It was not ND's choice. The Purdue game at Lucas Oil was technically a ND 'home game'. However ND forfeits a home game every year to play in a neutral site for the Shamrock series game. This also pulls in more revenue for both schools. I.e. Purdue made far more playing ND there, than they would have playing at S. Bend.

That doesn't include the $32 million that Purdue made last year for being part of the B1G.

B1G earnings article

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT