ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

It's an arbitrary cut off but in the last 9 games, IU has shot 40% from 3. Before that, IU was shooting something like 24% from 3.

IU's defense of the 3 point line is a far bigger issue imo than is it's ability to hit 3s.
To hit 40% they will need to hit 6/15 (the avg they take). If they don't, then the put a lot of pressure on their 3P defense to slow the other team down from making 3s. Very possible, don't get me wrong, but they give up a lot of 3s to opposing teams. They will also need to rebound a whole lot better than they have been.

Good insight.

In regards to Edey, we understand he gets a favorable whistle, but the crazy thing is, he could get even more in his favor that aren't called. And yes, he does foul, however, he is usually 4-9 inches taller than opposing players trying to box him out so when he goes up and "over" them, he's just a lot taller and doesn't mean he is "going over the back" all the time (now there are times where there is contact and a foul should be called). With his shoulders and elbows into defenders, he still is allowed to have space. Defenders can't just be all up in him and not allow him to turn, thus when he turns, his elbows and shoulders also go. He is a big dude and it just so happens that his elbows are right at a lot of people's faces, so should he be penalized every time because the other guy is smaller? And again, there are times where he does clear space too much, I acknowledge that.

If Sparks plays, then I guess that means Woodson would go to a 10 man rotation? It seems he's limited it to 9 the past 2 games with X back and Sparks has been odd man out. Wonder how Sparks will do if he does guard Edey, as it will be nothing like he has guarded before and he has struggled with better competition bigs.

I'm curious to see how IU rebounds vs Purdue, as IU has *so far* shown that they are not interested in rebounding the basketball...ok they are interested, obviously. However, IU is not a good rebounding team (223rd) and Purdue (21st) is. The 3 ball will be one to watch for too, as IU only shoots 14 a game (350th) and make 5 (338th). Even though Reneau and Ware shoot 50% and 40%, that's on really low volume (Reneau 23 and Ware 18). Reneau's 3s have been very similar to Galloway's last year, where teams have left him open because prior to this 4 game stretch, he was a 16% 3P shooter. Ware, like you said, has gone away from the 3 as of late. So, if Reneau is guarded out there, I'm not sure he will get his shot off. If ware wants to draw Edey out and shoot the 3, I think Purdue will live with that. Anyways, the metrics don't really favor IU here, BUT that's why the games are played, right?

And the "make the NCCAT" is to the other IU poster who comes onto the board to not really discuss anything, but just drops (what he thinks) are "zingers". He has some pretty bad posts on the IU board, as well. But in all seriousness, if IU doesn't get 2-3 wins between Purdue (home/away), Illinois (away) and Wisconsin (away/home) and/or don't win the BTT, I'm not sure they'll get in because Ohio State is their only good win right now. Playing cupcakes OOC and not beating any non good B1G team (well I guess FGCU beat FAU?) may really hurt them.

As you know, IU needs these games more than Purdue, so I fully expect IU to be fired up and hitting a ton of shots they usually don't hit.
Thanks - your response is completely on-point.

Reasons for Sparks to play?
  1. Durr was great against Edey and Sparks has the same role. Woody is stubborn and tends to go with things that have worked previously. Playing Sparks would likely mean a day off for Banks.
  2. Sparks allows Reneau to stay out of foul trouble by keeping Reneau away from Edey(the same reason Edey won't guard Reneau - ten fouls for TKR and Furst to use against Reneau).
Reasons for Sparks to not play?
  1. Durr came in for Trayce and played offense down low, leaving the post similarly clogged, whereas Sparks comes in for Ware who steps out, but Sparks down there too clogs things up for Reneau.
  2. Sparks is two or three inches shorter than Durr.
Finally, while IU doesn't have many/any marquee wins, if they go 11-9 in the B1G they'll be a 21-12 team with double-digit wins against teams in the top 100, and that is almost always enough. And, the odds of a team that wins 11 in the B1G not picking up at least one against Purdue, Illinois, or Wisky is fairly low. The B1G is a six/more likely 7 bid league, so 11-9 very likely gets them there.

Edey will very likely guard Ware, who will try to take Edey away from the basket. Ware is a decent three point shooter, but his outside game has cooled off lately against better competition. It's just not a problem for Purdue IMO.

I think Ware's biggest problem with Edey will be second-chance points, not post defense. Ware has been very good against true posts on the block, but has gotten bullied by big, strong players on the glass. I'd expect some Payton Sparks - an extra five fouls to give; however, Sparks really screws up IU's offense and allows Edey to stay near the basket, rim protect, and help with Reneau and drivers.

Seems like Edey gets hot and cold from the free throw line. Every single fan base (expect Purdue's) understands that Edey gets a very friendly whistle when he puts his shoulders and elbows into defenders; you guys may not like me saying that, but it's universally recognized and makes perfect sense for Edey to take advantage of it. How well Edey shoots from the line may be a key, given that he will get plenty of chances.

Finally, "even make the NCAAT?" Woody is two for two in NCAA tourney bids, and he's beaten the lesser seed in the first game both years before losing.

Cheers and here's to an injury-free game for both teams.
Good post. Yes, Woody made the NCAAT and won a play in game and a first round game with a first team AA and one of the most productive players in school history. My comment on 'even make the NCAAT' was a bit tongue in cheek in response to the OP's comments, but it would be a positive for IU to make the tourney this year after losing TJD along with the 17th pick in the NBA draft and last year's 3rd and 4th scorers.

I don't mind you saying that Zach gets friendly whistles but if you don't also admit that he gets fouled as he is posting up or as he receives the ball on most possessions and is subject to hook and hold techniques on both end of the floor you're only telling half the story. Those are facts that are universally accepted by any unbiased observer.

I think IU has a decent team and fully expect them to play hard and well in Bloomington. I would in no way be surprised if they won that game.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Good post. Yes, Woody made the NCAAT and won a play in game and a first round game with a first team AA and one of the most productive players in school history. My comment on 'even make the NCAAT' was a bit tongue in cheek in response to the OP's comments, but it would be a positive for IU to make the tourney this year after losing TJD along with the 17th pick in the NBA draft and last year's 3rd and 4th scorers.

I don't mind you saying that Zach gets friendly whistles but if you don't also admit that he gets fouled as he is posting up or as he receives the ball on most possessions and is subject to hook and hold techniques on both end of the floor you're only telling half the story. Those are facts that are universally accepted by any unbiased observer.

I think IU has a decent team and fully expect them to play hard and well in Bloomington. I would in no way be surprised if they won that game.
My opinion? Edey gets legit fouled A TON when he has the ball in his hands, but gets away with a bunch of fouls when he crashes the offensive glass.

And yes, losing TJD was a very big deal, but to me getting back a healthy, squared-away Xavier Johnson makes up for the loss of Hood-Schifino, especially defensively. Hood-Schifino had his monster games, but other than Purdue and Ohio State fans, the rest of the conference probably wasn't as impressed with him. And he's been a bust as a draft pick so far.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
The 3 guard look IU went with last night in 2nd half (X, Gunn, Galloway, Reneau, Walker/Banks) was as good as the offense has looked all season. Playing 4 and sometimes 5 out freed things up for drives down the lane and Reneau to operate against fewer defenders on the block. Will be very interested to see what Woody does the next few games knowing the offense clicked better with Ware and MM as spectators.
Well Sleepy Mike will need a long nap before the game to keep his high energy on the sidelines.

When you rewatch the beatdown IU handed Purdue in Mackey last season, IU extended the lead for a long stretch with Miller Kopp playing the four, so going small is an option.

Reneau is hitting 50% from 3, Ware around 40%, who does Edey guard?
I know you won’t because you never engage in any discussion after your “hot takes”, but can you explain this so called “beat down”? Purdue was up 4 at half and IU led by 13 maybe 15 at most for only a few mins in the second half. Purdue shot 21% and missed open 3s, so more so they didn’t miss due to IU.

So if that was a beat down, what did you call IUs loss to Nebraska, UConn or Auburn this year?

Hey I appreciate you at least engaging in conversation and explaining your reasons/thoughts and being reasonable. Unlike others 😂
I rarely post on the basketball board because it's not really my place to critique or compliment Purdue's basketball team on your board.

But this has turned into an IU/Purdue matchups thread which is fun, especially when interacting with posters like you and @northside100

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I rarely post on the basketball board because it's not really my place to critique or compliment Purdue's basketball team on your board.

But this has turned into an IU/Purdue matchups thread which is fun, especially when interacting with posters like you and @northside100
Haha it’s good to have an actual convo about the two teams as opposed to being met with “FDU!!!” “painters the worst March coach ever!!” “Smith is only good cuz of edey!!!” “Running to the board after a win??” As responses when posts are challenged to understand why the poster is taking that stance. For example, posting cupps is better than smith with a higher IQ…but nothing to back it up. I feel it’s only said to be a troll and to bait us which, it did 😂

Unless there’s something there that cupps has hasn’t shown at all yet…which I guess the only thing Cupps may have is he’s a bit better as an on ball defender as a Frosh than Braden. But anyways, that’s another debate, but you get my drift. 😂 😂

Haha it’s good to have an actual convo about the two teams as opposed to being met with “FDU!!!” “painters the worst March coach ever!!” “Smith is only good cuz of edey!!!” “Running to the board after a win??” As responses when posts are challenged to understand why the poster is taking that stance. For example, posting cupps is better than smith with a higher IQ…but nothing to back it up. I feel it’s only said to be a troll and to bait us which, it did 😂

Unless there’s something there that cupps has hasn’t shown at all yet…which I guess the only thing Cupps may have is he’s a bit better as an on ball defender as a Frosh than Braden. But anyways, that’s another debate, but you get my drift. 😂 😂
Cupps is a freshman like most freshmen are freshmen. Smith is a freakin bulldog.

IU will attack the drop coverage with mid range stuff just like last year. Good thing JHS is gone because I don’t think Galloway has the juice.

Against IU you pack the paint and pressure the ball. They can’t shoot and you need to deny entry passes to Ware and Reneau.
Year before X made a living against Purdue's drop coverage as well. He provides a quicker push with the ball and an ability to get into the lane. Hopefully his dribble can be contained a bit with people outside of Purdue 4 and 5 if Ware and Reneau are on the court. Make X beat you behind the arc or at the rim where Zach can contest and still be in rebounding position close. He has shown in the past a good percent of makes from 12/15 feet inside the lane

When you rewatch the beatdown IU handed Purdue in Mackey last season, IU extended the lead for a long stretch with Miller Kopp playing the four, so going small is an option.

FYI - Ware is at 33%, which is not really "around 40%" and he's only made 1 three in his last 7 games (on 9 attempts). That doesn't mean he won't light it up from three against Edey (Hell, given our history, I almost expect it) but I don't think that's going to be Painter's primary concern.

Bragging about a 50% 3-point shooter who has only taken 23 3’s is a bold choice. Reminds me of folks bragging about Galloway’s 3-point percentage last year on minimal volume. Ware is at 33% (lol at saying that’s around 40%) on only 18 attempts. That’d be like me bragging about TKR shooting 50% from 3 on minimal volume.

You won both games last year for one reason and that reason plays for the Lakers this year.

FYI - Ware is at 33%, which is not really "around 40%" and he's only made 1 three in his last 7 games (on 9 attempts). That doesn't mean he won't light it up from three against Edey (Hell, given our history, I almost expect it) but I don't think that's going to be Painter's primary concern.
Hey, I guess Lance Jones is around 40% from 3 too!

Bragging about a 50% 3-point shooter who has only taken 23 3’s is a bold choice. Reminds me of folks bragging about Galloway’s 3-point percentage last year on minimal volume. Ware is at 33% (lol at saying that’s around 40%) on only 18 attempts. That’d be like me bragging about TKR shooting 50% from 3 on minimal volume.

You won both games last year for one reason and that reason plays for the Lakers this year.
The difference is described by @boilerzz --Ware has been trending way down from three lately and Reneau has been trending way up, but true; neither will be a volume 3pt shooter.

As for IU only winning when someone on the team plays really well, isn't that usually the case? Before last year it could've been said that there was only one reason IU won the year before and that reason was Phinisee, who by the next year was playing for U Cinci. When a team wins, someone steps up.

Woody and Collins seem to scheme well against Painter; even when IU lost at Mackey two years ago it was a one possession game at the end. However, Woody has been flat-out trashed by Fran and Micah at IU.

Last edited:
Very talented team, I’ve been asleep, didn’t realize they had Battle from Minny, looking like Calbert Cheaney tonight.
I think Ohio State is a little over ranked. They have talent, but they have not played a very tough schedule with 11 of their 12 wins coming in Quad 3 nd 4 games, tied with Maryland for the most Q 3&4 games in the BT. They beat a good Alabama team on a neutral floor, besides that they have one of the weakest schedules to date, and maybe the weakest schedule in the BT with no trip to Illinois or Purdue.

Good win for them and breakout game for CJ Gunn. I think it will be a tough game for us and need Smith/Loyer to step up big.

As for Woodson - I don’t see him going anywhere and probably helps find his eventually heir. His challenge is roster construction for next year. They will lose X for sure and potentially Galloway, Reneau and Ware. They have 1 recruit in McNeely and have whiffed on a lot of other high profile guards.
Damn you! I have a lot to do and wasn't ready to discuss basketball on IU! That said and as concise as possible "for me" ;) I think we can count on the following:
1) IU will try to use Galloway's size at the rim
2 After seeing a bit more I now think Zach will have Ware, but it may not matter. IU may let whoever Zach has go behind the arc and the other go to the low post. If both shoot well I still see Zach on Ware (now...didn't originally) and Trey on Reneau. Reneau is VERY HEAVILY left hand dependent and so if he is on the perimeter a couple or more dribbles away you want to take the left hand away. However, he showed last game that when on the blocks he can spin back and use the rim to protect his shot when facing a single dribble.
3) IU will extend the D trying to push Purdue out trying to make the pass to Zach more difficult. Zach may need to wall up for Braden, Lance and Fletcher to get to the rim once beating the D of those not named X
4) The IU gym will be sky high and some of those players believe IU can win. Can thank Trevion for the wide open missed 3 foot shot that allowed IU's first win.
5) The crowd and D will try to cause Purdue to lose poise since that has happened the last couple of years.
6) Galloway specifically, but others as well coming up from the baseline to a screen on the wing has been a thorn in how Purdue plays that with the Purdue defender trailing the offensive player to keep him from shooting behind the screen (3 ball typically a concern for Matt) and allowing the curl into the FT line and a bit deeper. Does Purdue say...show me you can make it or possibly have the same issues pop up unless defended somehow better.
7) IUs defense on handoffs primarily. IU defenders will meet and draw contact on the Purdue player going to the ball to move him out a few inches farther so they can get a hand if not a body on top of the screen...trying to blow up that hand off. It is important that the Purdue players set that up by making contact inward and taking the IU defender inward so he cannot get on top...and if the IU player still is defending away from the screen a quick backcut would be a nice counter.

It isn't that IU has little talent, it is that they have not played well a lot of the year. Don't count on that happening in a few days. Purdue will need to play well and if poised and shooting well Purdue should have no problems...assuming of course that Zach is playing normal minutes.

What does Purdue do with Lance knowing Galloway wants to dribble to the rim? Two choices with a player like Lance .A) does he defend the PG and try to make it hard for a team to get into their offense? B) Does he take a stronger, bigger scorer? Purdue will switch, but that said I think I may move Lance to Galloway where Lance's strength and quickness make if difficult for Galloway to get to the rim. I'm unsure if IU plays a normal game that they can beat Purdue without Galloway having a good game.I'm unsure if Braden will be as effective on Galloway and with that I can see Braden on X although we know they will switch as needed. Must get the hand into the LOW shooting pocket of X on the perimeter. I'm amazed he shoots so low and seems to have little issue with it...perhaps enhanced with his ability to drive the ball. Lastly, does Purdue go under screens more than usual? Should be a good one, but over the years it is rarely an easy one.

Last edited:
losing TJD.... but to me getting back a healthy, squared-away Xavier Johnson makes up for the loss of Hood-Schifino,

Blah...The best hope iu has is for the refs keep them close. And given the history of a$$ Hall and our beloved B10 corrupt refs, so yes, iu has a shot to win.

Damn you! I have a lot to do and wasn't ready to discuss basketball on IU! That said and as concise as possible "for me" ;) I think we can count on the following:
1) IU will try to use Galloway's size at the rim
2 After seeing a bit more I now think Zach will have Ware, but it may not matter. IU may let whoever Zach has go behind the arc and the other go to the low post. If both shoot well I still see Zach on Ware (now...didn't originally) and Trey on Reneau. Reneau is VERY HEAVILY left hand dependent and so if he is on the perimeter a couple or more dribbles away you want to take the left hand away. However, he showed last game that when on the blocks he can spin back and use the rim to protect his shot when facing a single dribble.
3) IU will extend the D trying to push Purdue out trying to make the pass to Zach more difficult. Zach may need to wall up for Braden, Lance and Fletcher to get to the rim once beating the D of those not named X
4) The IU gym will be sky high and some of those players believe IU can win. Can thank Trevion for the wide open missed 3 foot shot that allowed IU's first win.
5) The crowd and D will try to cause Purdue to lose poise since that has happened the last couple of years.
6) Galloway specifically, but others as well coming up from the baseline to a screen on the wing has been a thorn in how Purdue plays that with the Purdue defender trailing the offensive player to keep him from shooting behind the screen (3 ball typically a concern for Matt) and allowing the curl into the FT line and a bit deeper. Does Purdue say...show me you can make it or possibly have the same issues pop up unless defended somehow better.
7) IUs defense on handoffs primarily. IU defenders will meet and draw contact on the Purdue player going to the ball to move him out a few inches farther so they can get a hand if not a body on top of the screen...trying to blow up that hand off. It is important that the Purdue players set that up by making contact inward and taking the IU defender inward so he cannot get on top...and if the IU player still is defending away from the screen a quick backcut would be a nice counter.

It isn't that IU has little talent, it is that they have not played well a lot of the year. Don't count on that happening in a few days. Purdue will need to play well and if poised and shooting well Purdue should have no problems...assuming of course that Zach is playing normal minutes.

What does Purdue do with Lance knowing Galloway wants to dribble to the rim? Two choices with a player like Lance .A) does he defend the PG and try to make it hard for a team to get into their offense? B) Does he take a stronger, bigger scorer? Purdue will switch, but that said I think I may move Lance to Galloway where Lance's strength and quickness make if difficult for Galloway to get to the rim. I'm unsure if IU plays a normal game that they can beat Purdue without Galloway having a good game.I'm unsure if Braden will be as effective on Galloway and with that I can see Braden on X although we know they will switch as needed. Must get the hand into the LOW shooting pocket of X on the perimeter. I'm amazed he shoots so low and seems to have little issue with it...perhaps enhanced with his ability to drive the ball. Lastly, does Purdue go under screens more than usual? Should be a good one, but over the years it is rarely an easy one.

Mike Woodson loves running the zoom action, and Purdue has had trouble with it against IU. I'd expect to see it early and often with Ware in the high post unless and until Purdue stops it.

Last edited:
I can see X and Galloway shooting runners all night long. Will they make them and does IU hit enough 3’s to keep up with our efficient offense?

We have alot of historical evidence.

It's not like the score would be close without it. iu is clearly the inferior team.
Oh yeah? Sez you! ;)

If it's now no-substance IU insult/blame the refs time, it's time for me to get out of the thread.

Adios, and as I said, hoping for an injury-free game.

the joke was funny the first time, but you keep driving it into the ground like a third grade cyber bully. Can you not show your rival you know how to spell your own state? Must you post at their level of intelligence? I thought Purdue alumni were better than this. he made a mistake. get over it. It's not like your spelling is perfect. the guy who made the mistake may have been a perdoo grad.

One thing that I also consider before we head to Bloomington is both of our schedules.

Purdue:
@ Nebraska
Penn State

IU:
@ Rutgers
Minnesota

I think we both have tough road games. I know Rutgers is bad this year but now is the time for a turnaround and the RAC is a hard place to play. Minnesota is surprising too and wouldn’t count them out with the scrappy style of play.

For us, going to be a challenge against Nebraska on the road. Not dismissing PSU but they aren’t good. Hopefully we stretch a lead and get some rest for our starters before we head to Bloomington.

One thing that I also consider before we head to Bloomington is both of our schedules.

Purdue:
@ Nebraska
Penn State

IU:
@ Rutgers
Minnesota

I think we both have tough road games. I know Rutgers is bad this year but now is the time for a turnaround and the RAC is a hard place to play. Minnesota is surprising too and wouldn’t count them out with the scrappy style of play.

For us, going to be a challenge against Nebraska on the road. Not dismissing PSU but they aren’t good. Hopefully we stretch a lead and get some rest for our starters before we head to Bloomington.
Well said beef! Nebrasketball is in full effect and they’ll be rockin tomorrow coming off that beat down from Wisconsin. They’re still looking to get that signature win…They have beat MSU, but this game is huge for them. They have some taller/bigger guards that could pose some matchup problems for our backcourt. Looking forward to seeing how we matchup and respond after the craziness of the Illinois game!

Also, huge side battle of the 🌽

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Mike Wodson loves running the zoom action, and Purdue has had trouble with it against IU. I'd expect to see it early and often with Ware in the high post unless and until Purdue stops it.
I think the first thing is the decision whether Purdue plays IU normal as far as the three ball. If not, there will be more sliding behind the screener. ( Still, they could mix it up on different players and different times of the game as to whether they go under or on top of screens.) If so they have to counter the baseline up to the wing screener. This can happen as I said by meeting the offensive player and forcing him out away from a potential screener. IU does this well. The player defending the "off ball" screen on the wing can get a hand in the passing lane, but by closing his stance really selling out the back cut which the defender should be really tuned into since he deliberately set it up. If the offensive player back cuts and is not effective due to the defender purposely doing it, the original defender on the cutter has no screen to deal with. That original defender of the wing screen can show denial into the passing lane, but still having the number one priority of showing opening to backdoor cut, but defending it. The thought is no different than forcing baseline and since you took away the option of heading towards the lane, you now step quickly to stop the baseline drive you purposely left open as you tried to cut the court in half.

FWIW, I'm more concerned about Galloway driving into the lane than beating Purdue behind the arc. Driving in the lane not only allows Galloway a size advantage in close, but now makes IUs 4 & 5 s better as well. You stay out of some rotations going under the screens. Purdue has two coaches on D this year and you would like to think knowing the personnel of both teams and what IU has done for two years curling into the lane that if Purdue was to get beat...it won't be by the same action.

Thanks - your response is completely on-point.

Reasons for Sparks to play?
  1. Durr was great against Edey and Sparks has the same role. Woody is stubborn and tends to go with things that have worked previously. Playing Sparks would likely mean a day off for Banks.
  2. Sparks allows Reneau to stay out of foul trouble by keeping Reneau away from Edey(the same reason Edey won't guard Reneau - ten fouls for TKR and Furst to use against Reneau).
Reasons for Sparks to not play?
  1. Durr came in for Trayce and played offense down low, leaving the post similarly clogged, whereas Sparks comes in for Ware who steps out, but Sparks down there too clogs things up for Reneau.
  2. Sparks is two or three inches shorter than Durr.
Finally, while IU doesn't have many/any marquee wins, if they go 11-9 in the B1G they'll be a 21-12 team with double-digit wins against teams in the top 100, and that is almost always enough. And, the odds of a team that wins 11 in the B1G not picking up at least one against Purdue, Illinois, or Wisky is fairly low. The B1G is a six/more likely 7 bid league, so 11-9 very likely gets them there.
I remember Durr against Trevion and he did do a great job being physical, but don't recall him against Zach. Could be...just don't recall. I expect at least 7 Big teams. A lot of alumni to go and watch on TV Big games...course we know that there are only so many non conference winners. No doubt the Big would like to see more teams and for that to happen, Purdue can't run away with the conference...but expect 7 at least

Last edited:
Edey will very likely guard Ware, who will try to take Edey away from the basket. Ware is a decent three point shooter, but his outside game has cooled off lately against better competition. It's just not a problem for Purdue IMO.

I think Ware's biggest problem with Edey will be second-chance points, not post defense. Ware has been very good against true posts on the block, but has gotten bullied by big, strong players on the glass. I'd expect some Payton Sparks - an extra five fouls to give; however, Sparks really screws up IU's offense and allows Edey to stay near the basket, rim protect, and help with Reneau and drivers.

Seems like Edey gets hot and cold from the free throw line. Every single fan base (expect Purdue's) understands that Edey gets a very friendly whistle when he puts his shoulders and elbows into defenders; you guys may not like me saying that, but it's universally recognized and makes perfect sense for Edey to take advantage of it. How well Edey shoots from the line may be a key, given that he will get plenty of chances.

Finally, "even make the NCAAT?" Woody is two for two in NCAA tourney bids, and he's beaten the lesser seed in the first game both years before losing.

Cheers and here's to an injury-free game for both teams.
I just don't see it that way. ZE has spent a lot of time learning how to play without fouling. What you describe is a Collison between Zach and his defender as he makes his first move. This Collison is almost always caused by the defender. Yes, he sees it coming and moves into it like anyone would.

Good insight.

In regards to Edey, we understand he gets a favorable whistle, but the crazy thing is, he could get even more in his favor that aren't called. And yes, he does foul, however, he is usually 4-9 inches taller than opposing players trying to box him out so when he goes up and "over" them, he's just a lot taller and doesn't mean he is "going over the back" all the time (now there are times where there is contact and a foul should be called). With his shoulders and elbows into defenders, he still is allowed to have space. Defenders can't just be all up in him and not allow him to turn, thus when he turns, his elbows and shoulders also go. He is a big dude and it just so happens that his elbows are right at a lot of people's faces, so should he be penalized every time because the other guy is smaller? And again, there are times where he does clear space too much, I acknowledge that.

If Sparks plays, then I guess that means Woodson would go to a 10 man rotation? It seems he's limited it to 9 the past 2 games with X back and Sparks has been odd man out. Wonder how Sparks will do if he does guard Edey, as it will be nothing like he has guarded before and he has struggled with better competition bigs.

I'm curious to see how IU rebounds vs Purdue, as IU has *so far* shown that they are not interested in rebounding the basketball...ok they are interested, obviously. However, IU is not a good rebounding team (223rd) and Purdue (21st) is. The 3 ball will be one to watch for too, as IU only shoots 14 a game (350th) and make 5 (338th). Even though Reneau and Ware shoot 50% and 40%, that's on really low volume (Reneau 23 and Ware 18). Reneau's 3s have been very similar to Galloway's last year, where teams have left him open because prior to this 4 game stretch, he was a 16% 3P shooter. Ware, like you said, has gone away from the 3 as of late. So, if Reneau is guarded out there, I'm not sure he will get his shot off. If ware wants to draw Edey out and shoot the 3, I think Purdue will live with that. Anyways, the metrics don't really favor IU here, BUT that's why the games are played, right?

And the "make the NCCAT" is to the other IU poster who comes onto the board to not really discuss anything, but just drops (what he thinks) are "zingers". He has some pretty bad posts on the IU board, as well. But in all seriousness, if IU doesn't get 2-3 wins between Purdue (home/away), Illinois (away) and Wisconsin (away/home) and/or don't win the BTT, I'm not sure they'll get in because Ohio State is their only good win right now. Playing cupcakes OOC and not beating any non good B1G team (well I guess FGCU beat FAU?) may really hurt them.

As you know, IU needs these games more than Purdue, so I fully expect IU to be fired up and hitting a ton of shots they usually don't hit.

FGCU beat FAU, FAU beat Arizona, Arizona beat Wisconsin, Wisconsin beat Chicago St, Chicago St beat Northwestern, and of course Northwestern beat Purdue.

So IU has all of those good wins, right?

They were 1-5 combined…didn’t need to be guarded.

Guess IU shoulda tried doubling edey…your “lotto pick” certainly couldn’t do it by himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT