ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon vs Purdue WVB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
In the 1st set Purdue is clearly not ready to play as Oregon dominates 25-14. Some signs of life in the second half but Boilers are only hitting 0.088. Got to do better.

Purdue very competitive in 2nd set but then in last quarter of the set they fell apart and the Ducks are ahead 2-0 winning the set 19-25. Meanwhile the TV broadcast failed and we are watching Tennesee vs Texas. Thank goodness for Kyle Shondell on radio/streaming.

I am not sure the stats are reliable either due to the technical difficulties.

Last edited:
Purdue sees an end to its season losing the 3rd set in extra points 27-29, Purdue repeatedly fought off match points but eventually succumbed to a very talented Oregon squad. Oregon hit 0.355 for the match and their offense was tremendous. They also had 10 blocks compared to Purdue’s 4. This was definitely not the Purdue team hitting on all cylinders that we saw last weekend.

Gabby Gonzalez, transfer from Ohio State and who played well against us last year, was also very difficult to control tonight with 10 kills.

Purdue sees an end to its season losing the 3rd set in extra points 27-29, Purdue repeatedly fought off match points but eventually succumbed to a very talented Oregon squad. Oregon hit 0.355 for the match and their offense was tremendous. They also had 10 blocks compared to Purdue’s 4. This was definitely not the Purdue team hitting on all cylinders that we saw last weekend.

Gabby Gonzalez, transfer from Ohio State and who played well against us last year, was also very difficult to control tonight with 10 kills.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
I don't think we were off our game as much as I think Oregon was simply better and took us out of our best game with their attack and pressure.
I would agree somewhat if talking about the last two sets. But did you see the first set? We looked like deer in the headlights. Our first two serves were service errors. The set was essentially over before we began to register any points. This happens when you play athletes who have never been on that stage before, especially when going up against a very senior and savvy team.

As these freshman mature, we will be much harder to beat.

Reactions: lj85 and JeffBoiler
I watched, Oregon the much better team, sweet 16 was where Purdue’s top of the line was. I really hope Coach brings in a stud transfer, I noticed they brought in 3 non scholie recruits, hopefully, he’s saving a ship for a difference maker, time to make a Final 4!

Reactions: DocRon
I guess the committee got the seeding correct. All 1’s vs 2’s except for one 3 seed.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I guess the committee got the seeding correct. All 1’s vs 2’s except for one 3 seed.
College Volleyball mirrors college football, same old same old every year. Purdue should be very good next year, however, if Coach wants to make a final 4 he has to do more than just recruit High School well, he needs to bring in an impact portal player. Next year is probably a top 10-15 team as construed, need a stud portal player for the bump to have a shot at a final 4. Teams like Nebraska and Wisky will reload.

Reactions: DrEss
I would agree somewhat if talking about the last two sets. But did you see the first set? We looked like deer in the headlights. Our first two serves were service errors. The set was essentially over before we began to register any points. This happens when you play athletes who have never been on that stage before, especially when going up against a very senior and savvy team.

As these freshman mature, we will be much harder to beat.
Correct, however, the top teams bring in top transfers, if Purdue wants to make a Final 4 they need to do that this off-season, if not a elite 8 is likely the top of the ladder. Need 1 more top frontline player and someone to replace Schermerhorn.

Reactions: DocRon
Correct, however, the top teams bring in top transfers, if Purdue wants to make a Final 4 they need to do that this off-season, if not a elite 8 is likely the top of the ladder. Need 1 more top frontline player and someone to replace Schermerhorn.
I came in at 14-7 in the first set or so. Yeah, first set was us having jitters for being on this stage and Oregon was dialed in. Next two sets we fought hard, were opportunistic, and ran our offense pretty well. Problem was Oregon still had slightly better talent and whenever we got a small lead, they would exert themselves and make a surge back into the lead. I think we could play them 10 times and only win 2 sets out of the whole series. Chicione is going to be an incredible player, Hudson already is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT