ADVERTISEMENT

Only took us 10 games

That has nothing to do with the point. We didn’t run him in those games that much. Those were 2 of our first 10 opponents. What about the other 8?
Guess you weren't aware he was injured in several of those games.

Reactions: drewjin
Can run and running QB are not the same. He rushed for 72 yards and 1 TD before coming to Purdue so I think this perception that he was a running QB was off target.

I have two thoughts on this. First, he has never looked like he actually wants to run. He runs as a last resort. Second, I would wager that if you did a thorough film review, you’d come away with the realization that he was not running the read option very well. He pulled a couple and took it himself yesterday with good results. How many times has he done that all year?

Reactions: z_one
Can run and running QB are not the same. He rushed for 72 yards and 1 TD before coming to Purdue so I think this perception that he was a running QB was off target.

I have two thoughts on this. First, he has never looked like he actually wants to run. He runs as a last resort. Second, I would wager that if you did a thorough film review, you’d come away with the realization that he was not running the read option very well. He pulled a couple and took it himself yesterday with good results. How many times has he done that all year?
Agreed. He was never billed as a "running" quarterback. He was listed as a quarterback that could run when needed and was a good athlete. If you watched any of his play at Texas he ran only a few times and did it mostly to escape a tackler or during a broken play. He can run, but he is NOT a "run first" quarterback. He's a good enough runner to have a play designed for him to run once in a while to shake up the defense, but he's going to be passing or handing off and not running most of the time.

Reactions: HUD628

Bingo. He was running the read option very poorly. This game he ran it very well. Plus the play calling was light years ahead of where it's been all season.

This was a game where everyone, players and coaches, played better than they have in awhile, especially on offense. Defense was more shaky but still had some good moments.

Special teams...well...

Reactions: z_one and HUD628
Bingo. He was running the read option very poorly. This game he ran it very well. Plus the play calling was light years ahead of where it's been all season.

This was a game where everyone, players and coaches, played better than they have in awhile, especially on offense. Defense was more shaky but still had some good moments.

Special teams...well...
starts w/ the OL and they did a good job, then when there is a running game, these two setup for a good passing game.

Reactions: drewjin
Neb's D has actually been pretty good this year
That's true. Purdue's last 4 opponents before Minnesota are ranked 3rd, 2nd, 5th, and 1st in the B1G in fewest points given up this year.

Again, no excuses. Purdue didn't play very well in winnable games against Iowa or Nebraska. But it does give the recent offensive struggles context.

Purdue better be ready Saturday. Northwestern has been unexpectedly stingy on defens this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT