ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Rebounding

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Last season, Purdue was among the top teams in the country in offensive rebounding percentage at 36.5%, but I think that Purdue can push that percentage quite a bit higher with Swanigan. The summer before, Swanigan led Nike's EYBL in rebounding by a significant margin. I think that an offensive rebounding % of over 40% is entirely possible, which will give Purdue a few more chances to score per game.

Reactions: Schnelk
Good observation. To expand on that, Vince was good on the offensive glass last year but I think he will be even better this year as primarily a 3. We will miss Octeus, however. That dude was one of the best rebounding guards we've ever had. Hopefully, Hill can fill at least some of that void.

Reactions: Schnelk
Good observation. To expand on that, Vince was good on the offensive glass last year but I think he will be even better this year as primarily a 3. We will miss Octeus, however. That dude was one of the best rebounding guards we've ever had. Hopefully, Hill can fill at least some of that void.
No doubt about Octeus.

On that topic, having Swanigan in the line-up, plus some potential rebounding advantages at other positions (e.g. Edwards at the 3 and maybe Davis at the 2), makes me wonder if Painter will send his guards to the offensive boards less often and place a greater emphasis on fast break defense. If Swanigan turns out to be as good a rebounder as he demonstrated in AAU, Purdue might be able to commit fewer players on average and still come away with more offensive boards.

No doubt about Octeus.

On that topic, having Swanigan in the line-up, plus some potential rebounding advantages at other positions (e.g. Edwards at the 3 and maybe Davis at the 2), makes me wonder if Painter will send his guards to the offensive boards less often and place a greater emphasis on fast break defense. If Swanigan turns out to be as good a rebounder as he demonstrated in AAU, Purdue might be able to commit fewer players on average and still come away with more offensive boards.

True, but we must remember that offensive rebounding opportunities are the result of misses. I would prefer more makes. Offensive efficiency is what I want...which typically improves with offensive boards. Also, O boards will be the result of drives as well as post feeds most likely for Purdue. It would be great if Purdue were such a threat from the three that the lanes were open as Purdue could probably get those boards off misses on drives.

True, but we must remember that offensive rebounding opportunities are the result of misses. I would prefer more makes. Offensive efficiency is what I want...which typically improves with offensive boards. Also, O boards will be the result of drives as well as post feeds most likely for Purdue. It would be great if Purdue were such a threat from the three that the lanes were open as Purdue could probably get those boards off misses on drives.
I agree on efficiency. That's why I referenced offensive rebounding percentage rather than offensive rebounds per game.

As far as driving the ball, I agree but also expect that this is going to be more of a passing team than a driving team. However, when the opportunity presents itself players like Davis and Edwards need to continue to drive and attack the basket. Doing so not only results in good shots and rebounds, but, maybe most importantly, fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT