ADVERTISEMENT

Night and day difference on day one of spring practice

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
A “night and day” difference from a year ago gives Purdue optimism as spring practice kicks off in West Lafayette.

Head coach Ryan Walters offers his thoughts on day one. ⬇️ (Free for your viewing pleasure).

I like hearing this. It is going to be a brutal year for Purdue Football schedule-wise. I am looking forward to watching this team develop.

Glass half full guy here. Purdue will need to exceed everyone’s expectations.

Interesting observation from what C Walters said. Our collective in the past was not competitive to Wisc, Nebraska and Iowa. We were more in line with where Illinois was at NIL. That is why when C Walters came in, he thought we had a competitive NIL. But during his first season, he realized that our NIL was way behind. C Walters spent a lot of time to help support and grow our collective. Now we were able to bring in recruits and talents that we normally would have lost out to Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.

Putting coaching aside, I wonder how our roster with the new transfers and incoming freshmen class would stack up to Wisconsin and Nebraska’s roster (since we are playing them this year).

A lot of people saying that there should be a big jump for C Walter‘s defense from year 1 to year 2.

I suspect the same jump for Harrell’s offense, since he now has more weapons at receivers. I like the size we are getting in our O Line. The smallest guy in the line is 6’4 315 lbs.

Reactions: goboilers2
The article got me hyped already. Fantastic interview and very insightful. I like how he said highest bidder then corrected himself haha. Its ok coach I agree 100% about being highest bidder.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Keep drinking the koolaid....

What sports writers are saying...

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

Pre-spring final record projection
: 2-10

Conference finish: 0-9 (18th)

Why: Chances are slim Purdue finishes without a conference victory after going 3-6 in Big Ten play during Ryan Walters' first season, but the schedule is daunting and includes games against Notre Dame and Oregon State out of conference, too.

Sports Illustrated FanDual writes....

Here's the complete list of the over-under win totals released from FanDuel:

• Ohio State Buckeyes: over/under 10.5 wins
  • Oregon Ducks: over/under 10.5 wins
  • Michigan Wolverines: over/under 9.5 wins
  • Penn State Nittany Lions: over/under 9.5 wins
  • Iowa Hawkeyes: over/under 7.5 wins
  • Maryland Terrapins: over/under 7.5 wins
  • Nebraska Cornhuskers: over/under 7.5 wins
  • USC Trojans: over/under 7.5 wins
  • Washington Huskies: over/under 7.5 wins
  • Rutgers Scarlet Knights: over/under 6.5 wins
  • Wisconsin Badgers: over/under 6.5 wins
  • Illinois Fighting Illini: over/under 5.5 wins
  • Indiana Hoosiers: over/under 5.5 wins
  • Michigan State Spartans: over/under 5.5 wins
  • Northwestern Wildcats: over/under 5.5 wins
  • UCLA Bruins: over/under 5.5 wins
  • Minnesota Golden Gophers: over/under 4.5 wins
  • Purdue Boilermakers: over/under 4.5 wins
AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue
As expected with a handful of key players departing from the '22 squad, Ryan Walters' debut at Purdue was a struggle (4-8). The Boilermakers hit the portal hard for help and need to significantly improve up front on both lines of scrimmage to push for a bowl in '24. Quarterback Hudson Card (235.5 total yards a game) and running back Devin Mockobee (811 yards) headline the key returns on offense. Safety Dillon Thieneman (106 tackles) is back on defense after a standout freshman season.

Yahoo Sports writes....

Purdue Boilermakers​

Photo: Isaiah Hole

Predicted conference record: 0-9
Wins: None
Losses: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Oregon, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, MSU, Indiana

• Haha
Reactions: z_one

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

Why: Chances are slim Purdue finishes without a conference victory after going 3-6 in Big Ten play during Ryan Walters' first season, but the schedule is daunting and includes games against Notre Dame and Oregon State out of conference, too.

AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue
As expected with a handful of key players departing from the '22 squad, Ryan Walters' debut at Purdue was a struggle (4-8). The Boilermakers hit the portal hard for help and need to significantly improve up front on both lines of scrimmage to push for a bowl in '24. Quarterback Hudson Card (235.5 total yards a game) and running back Devin Mockobee (811 yards) headline the key returns on offense. Safety Dillon Thieneman (106 tackles) is back on defense after a standout freshman season.

Yahoo Sports writes....

Purdue Boilermakers​

Losses: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Oregon, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, MSU, Indiana
0-9 won’t happen.

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue

Yahoo Sports writes....

Purdue Boilermakers​

I think it's funny when "sports writers" make bold predictions of 0-9 and give absolutely zero reasons why.

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue

Yahoo Sports writes....

i am not worried, their staff is filled with a bunch of Yahoos. But they do make a good point. Our conference will be much stronger, and we may end up in the middle of the pack. And if so, we will still be happy with the progress we made.

Glass half full guy here. Purdue will need to exceed everyone’s expectations.

Interesting observation from what C Walters said. Our collective in the past was not competitive to Wisc, Nebraska and Iowa. We were more in line with where Illinois was at NIL. That is why when C Walters came in, he thought we had a competitive NIL. But during his first season, he realized that our NIL was way behind. C Walters spent a lot of time to help support and grow our collective. Now we were able to bring in recruits and talents that we normally would have lost out to Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.

Putting coaching aside, I wonder how our roster with the new transfers and incoming freshmen class would stack up to Wisconsin and Nebraska’s roster (since we are playing them this year).

A lot of people saying that there should be a big jump for C Walter‘s defense from year 1 to year 2.

I suspect the same jump for Harrell’s offense, since he now has more weapons at receivers. I like the size we are getting in our O Line. The smallest guy in the line is 6’4 315 lbs.
This is the year we slap that Wisconsin monkey off our back (I have no data to suggest why. I am just a fan)

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue

Yahoo Sports writes....

Purdue Boilermakers​

So Illinois(that we beat last year, Northwestern that we barely lost to without our starting quarterback, MSU that is breaking in a new coach and is in disarray, and IU we beat and has a new coach) are all automatic losses? Must be a joke. So Linker you want to place a bet on this? 0-9 you say? I'll put up a $1000.00 dollars right now. Let's go! You want to make it 5 or 10,000? I'm ok with that. Let's get someone to hold the money. Put up or shut up.

247 sports writes....
Purdue Boilermakers

AthlonSports writes....

17. Purdue

Yahoo Sports writes....

Purdue Boilermakers​

Who cares what a bunch of fat, greasy, mustard-stained hacks think about us?

Reactions: Bippus33 and z_one
I still believe we have a solid chance for 4 victories and a possible chance for 2 wins which would give us 6 victories and a bowl bid. A solid defense can pull off an upset. Look at Iowa.

I would expect a solid shot at 5 wins

I think a floor of 3 and a ceiling of 7.

I don't expect either extreme end so I think 4-6 is the range I'd say is non homer reasonable range of outcomes.

Reactions: z_one and RDUBoiler
I still believe we have a solid chance for 4 victories and a possible chance for 2 wins which would give us 6 victories and a bowl bid. A solid defense can pull off an upset. Look at Iowa.
And our defense was not solid last year!

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT