ADVERTISEMENT

Next season overview: One fan's opinion

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Despite the valiant efforts in the two BTT games, it has been said to death what was wrong with this team which ended with the worst record in the modern era by far. Very, very hard to watch. But some perspective:

--Lost two great scoring guards and bad on Versyp for not having recruited replacements who can shoot. The lack of consistent outside shooters killed this team.

--Injuries etc were a big factor. Perry, including last night, was never able to play as she can from mid BT season on. Losing Thornton hurt and Moore and Bodnar and even Redmon loss really hurt. This was a really, really thin team without a huge amount of experience.

--Look back at the many, many really close losses for this team. 5 OT losses for example. They competed well in most games. Lack of depth really hurt them. And though April Wilson tried, her lack of scoring really stood out. Still this team competed above what it should have been able to given the deck they drew. I do not think that was appreciated enough on this board.

--Overall, however, it is impossible to ignore that this program has fallen on times far worse than any long time fan ever expected, even going into this season when we knew or should have known that this squad had a lot of holes. There was considerable talk about firing Coach V and that is not going to happen off one bad season, but, truly, for the first time, if she does not turn it around that is obviously something that is not going away. She is on, at least, a very warm seat.

NEXT YEAR;
--Looking at the REALITY of what we have and not projecting that just because we're Purdue we will be great:
--FRONT LINE: We will be very tall but very, very inexperienced on the front line. Horriocks, who has a long way to go, Bodnar and Kiesler will represent a huge front, Whether they can compete with their lack of experience is up in the air, but we will have size for quite a while. Thornton, a yeoman, will help. Moore has potential but no clue of how good she will be. MCBryde is certainly promising. But this is a puzzle with the pieces laid out on the table that has to be put together from scratch. The loss of Clemons and Bays cannot ever be underestimated.They were incredibly productive, with almost no help.

BACKCOURT: Good news, bad news. We have Wilson and Morrisette back, but they have shown no evidence of having an outside shot, a hallmark of Purdue teams for so long and it killed the team this year. Even last night, one or two threes late would have won it. It is just not there. If they find it, that will be huge. Perry and Keys are very promising, particularly if Perry can stay healthy which had a really negative impact when she went down and basically never recovered from mid BT. Murphy, Cooper and Hall are all at best promising unknowns. Hamby shows that just because you score a ton of points in rural Alabama, it does not necessarily translate into the BT.

PROJECTION: Impossible to make. Too many moving parts that have not been together. It will take a masterful coaching job and there is obviously mixed opinions about whether Versyp can do it. Truthfully, this team will probably be much better going into the season after next, but impatience of our fans cannot be discounted. Our crowds are a plus and another bad season may threaten that. Coach V will, however, have depth, with 14 on her roster. The lack of that was maybe the biggest reason for the collapse this year.

PREDICTION: Better record because how could it be otherwise? If it is the same or worse, put your hands over your eyes.
But I do not think we will return to competing for the top of the league next year. If we make the NCAA, it will be a real plus, but I think a WNIT bid is the best shot, launching a better following season. It is going to be hard, maybe impossible to return this team to national prominence any time soon, if ever. Perhaps a new coach can do that. We are not there yet, but may be soon. But another coach or what they could accomplish is no given. Do not think that Coach V is a bad coach. but clearly not a top notch recruiter. She had a lot of marks against her this year and this team DID compete in a lot of games with almost no depth.But failure brings change so we will just have to see.

Thoughts anyone? Sorry for such a long piece but I am a retired guy with some time now. :)

P.S. Very hopeful for the Boiler men both this year and in the future. Remember what was being said about them this time last year. We might remember that in assessing the WBB.

This post was edited on 3/6 12:35 PM by illiniboiler

I agree with everything you have said. Next year is a puzzel, and given the relative youth of the team's key contributers, it might be a rough go for much of the year. We will be tall, athletic, but young across the major complomnets of this coming team. I'd like to say that the team might come together aroiund BTT time, but that is absolutely wishful thinking.

One of the predictors of this years resurgence of the MBB team was the number of close games they lost the year before. This year the WBB team lost 5 OT games, whcih means they were oh-so-close to having a much better record. That might be a factor in predictions of a better season next year.

As for ouotside shooting of 3-pt baskets, we can only hope that someone like Hamby goes all Cunzo Martin on us and develops a deadly outside shot.

cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/6 1:40 PM by mathboy

Hamby shot 56% on threes in high school so she can shoot, but she needs plays run for her to get her open. She cannot create her own shot.

Martin was 6-5 and did not have to worry about shot being blocked. Hamby is short and slow. That's a deadly combo!

I would argue that the injury to Thornton didn't matter at all, she was a non factor when she was healthy. The injury to Perry hurt, but by the time she was hurt the team was already in their downward spiral. She has never lived up to the potential that I and other Purdue WBB fans see in her. For whatever reasons, she's not the player that we all wish she was, more Katie Douglas. She doesn't have a great outside shot just like the rest of this Purdue team, but when she was healthy she was one of the best players on the team not named Bays.

The player that they missed the most is Redmon. She really came on last season and had a breakout season imho. She is what this team really lacked besides outside shooting from the guard position and that is a veteran post presence. She would have made the difference in a half of dozen games imho and may have pushed this team to the brink of tournament hopes.

I also think that Versyp's relunctance to play the freshmen especially when the team was losing by 30 points every game was insane imho. Also her reluctance to play her freshmen Centers more was baffling to me.

This will go down as the worst season in 30 years and hopefully brighter things are ahead for this once proud franchise.

IlliniBoiler - That was a very well thought out, very well articulated analysis of this season for the PU WBB team and future expectations. Well done!

I would add that next year could easily be a worse season than this season given the youth, the fact that Bays and Clemons have now graduated and the lack of holes that still haven't been filled in yet, ie, their backcourt 3 point shooting woes and their lack of scorers now. Who are going to be the "go-to" scorers now? Perry? Morrissette? Really?

That could really present some problems especially in close games. At least this year they had Bays and Clemons to rely on if they needed a hoop or at least a good shot of scoring. But who on this roster do you now trust to score a needed basket?

Wow! It could be really, really ugly next year!

Boiler Up!

This post was edited on 3/6 2:48 PM by PurdueTim14

PurdueTim14 I think you are a little mixed up on your facts. When Perry got hurt earlier in the MAryland game we were playing bery well and were tied with MAryland at the time. We were not already in the downward spiral. But no we all know this was not a great team. Hard to win even with a couple of good inside players if you constantly turn the ball over(though most womans teams do alot of that except for the really skilled ones) and you can't shot from anywhere near the outside with any consistency. We will see what next year brings. Could be the same or worse or better(isn't this a brillant statement).

ADVERTISEMENT