ADVERTISEMENT

New Transfer from Illinois

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Apparently (going by the number on her jersey) junior-to-be Jeanae Terry, a 5’11” guard who has started all games in her first two years. Good get.

Sophomore stats from Illinois site:
  • One of three Illini to play at start in all 23 games
  • Played 30.3 minutes per game, ranking second on the team in scoring (10.7 ppg) and rebounding (7.8 rpg)
  • Led the team in assists (101) and steals (41), and knocked down a team-high 54 free-throws
  • Recorded six games as the team’s leading scorer, 12 games as the top rebound, and led the team in assists in 17 of 23 contests
  • Ranked first on the team in double-doubles (7), notching 12 double-digit scoring games and seven games with 10+ rebounds
  • Eclipsed the 20-point mark three times with 24 vs. Indiana State (11/25/20), 21 vs. Penn State (1/28/21) and a career-high 28 at Wisconsin (1/31/21)

Last edited:
Ellis, Layden, Terry, Oriyomi, Kyle...Moore, Smith, Hardin, Doumbia, Woltman off the bench. Two other Frosh along with Gony, Mokolo, Stallings looks to be the 15 scholarships.

Reactions: billy jack
15. Yes that is a lot, too many to play of course so that may cause other decisions. And it does seem we could use a solid front court transfer.

15. Yes that is a lot, too many to play of course so that may cause other decisions. And it does seem we could use a solid front court transfer.
Stallings was a walk on, I guess Purdue still can bring in another frontcourt transfer if they want to. My guess is we see 1 more player brought in and probably 1 more transfer.

From the one WBB program in the Big Ten that was worse than Purdue in 2020? Ilinois in 2020-21 had a worse record than Purdue.. Wow... And another guard...which they already have 10 of on the 2021-22 roster if you include Madison Layden as a guard in Sharon's/Katie's roster and lineup. So they will have 11 guards on the roster, and 3 Centers...and 1 PF'ish player who is listed as a G/F.. Wow... This is nirvana for Sharon Versyp...as she exits the program the whole roster is guards oh, pus 2 Centers, 1 PF who was the 2nd or 3rd back up center in 2020-21 in Rickie Woltman, and Mide Oriyome a transfer who is listed as a G/F. Wow... unbelievable.

Trying to replace Karissa McLaughlin, Harmon and Kayana Traylor, 2 of them All-Big Ten guards, and wing players Farquhar, and Grant, Sharon and Katie are going to have 11 maybe even 12 guards on the roster and 3 Centers in 2021-22.

Katie has her work cut out for her in her first recruiting class recruiting front court talent for this team that desperately will need it. I'm sure that they will play these 11 guards at the SF, and PF spots hoping that they don't get dominated by teams that have legitimate front court and post talent on their teams.. but it's going to be brutal when they face teams with good wing players, power forwards and dominant centers. But hey Sharon and Katie will have more guards on the team than any one else... There's that!

Katie has her work cut out for her in her first recruiting class recruiting front court talent for this team that desperately will need it. I'm sure that they will play these 11 guards at the SF, and PF spots hoping that they don't get dominated by teams that have legitimate front court and post talent on their teams.. but it's going to be brutal when they face teams with good wing players, power forwards and dominant centers. But hey Sharon and Katie will have more guards on the team than any one else... There's that!
Three posts in a row that say the same thing. And posted at 2:30 AM EDT, Hitting the sauce a little?

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Three posts in a row that say the same thing. And posted at 2:30 AM EDT, Hitting the sauce a little?
Trying to figure out why DaveBoiler is so pissed? Geez, bitching about a near double/double player coming to the team from a Big Ten school is rather odd. Also, she's a 3, probably starts there on day 1. Moore probably is 6th man playing 20 minutes a game spelling a few players. It's a good move, hopefully, one more is made and another frontcourt player is brought in, at this point not sure Woltman or Gony are the answers off the bench, maybe they are, hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: DocRon
Terry was a legitimate BT starter who would have had a decent role on most BT teams. To get a player of that caliber when we clearly need help is a no brainer. Sure would like to get an equivalent big. But next year is and will be a crap shoot. Will Versyp continue to run her stale offense? Will we learn how to guard dribble drives, etc?. Will Katie be allowed to put in her system ( a bit awkward I'd think) and is it different from Versyp? Lots of questions. Better to have no expectations and see what happens and who Katie recruits.

Terry was a legitimate BT starter who would have had a decent role on most BT teams. To get a player of that caliber when we clearly need help is a no brainer. Sure would like to get an equivalent big. But next year is and will be a crap shoot. Will Versyp continue to run her stale offense? Will we learn how to guard dribble drives, etc?. Will Katie be allowed to put in her system ( a bit awkward I'd think) and is it different from Versyp? Lots of questions. Better to have no expectations and see what happens and who Katie recruits.
Yea, in actually might be better unless it's a grad transfer to chill out on the multi year transfers in order to let Katie start getting in on the high school kids with multiple scholerships to offer. At this moment I see at least 3 possibly 4 spots that are available, I'm sure it will probably end up being 5 when all is said and done. I think with the 15 now on board Stallings, Moore, Gony are Sr's to be, I might be missing 1 more, not sure. 5 would be nice to have, maybe save 2 for transfers and 3 for incoming Freshman.

In the past, I have observed that WBB recruiting has a 2-3 year lag because coaches have to establish “relationships” with up and coming high school players. Katie’s first real recruiting class is probably one or two years off. Men’s basketball seems to have a shorter lead time from what I’ve seen. A new coach on the men’s side can bring in a good recruiting class the first year. Maybe it’s because the number of high grade players is smaller on the women’s side.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
In the past, I have observed that WBB recruiting has a 2-3 year lag because coaches have to establish “relationships” with up and coming high school players. Katie’s first real recruiting class is probably one or two years off. Men’s basketball seems to have a shorter lead time from what I’ve seen. A new coach on the men’s side can bring in a good recruiting class the first year. Maybe it’s because the number of high grade players is smaller on the women’s side.

Katie has been coaching in the state already and grew up playing here. She has a network in that regard. She undoubtedly knows who the top players coming up are. She didn't have any time to put together this class and nobody would/should hold that against her. I'd expect to see some higher level high school recruits starting with 2022 though. Unless she recruits players that read this board. Then I'm not sure who would want to come here.

Katie has been coaching in the state already and grew up playing here. She has a network in that regard. She undoubtedly knows who the top players coming up are. She didn't have any time to put together this class and nobody would/should hold that against her. I'd expect to see some higher level high school recruits starting with 2022 though. Unless she recruits players that read this board. Then I'm not sure who would want to come here.
The criticism has been directed toward Sharon and, hopefully, not toward the program in general. With Katie taking over, perhaps we will see a reset in the way the team is regarded by its fans.

The criticism has been directed toward Sharon and, hopefully, not toward the program in general. With Katie taking over, perhaps we will see a reset in the way the team is regarded by its fans.

If that's how you want to justify fans withdrawing their support of the team for several years. And several went beyond withdrawing their support and were/are openly hostile towards the program on here. I'm sure the players appreciated it and others are just lining up to help bring this program back for a bunch of fans who will turn their backs on them and mock them if the team isn't good enough for them.

If that's how you want to justify fans withdrawing their support of the team for several years. And several went beyond withdrawing their support and were/are openly hostile towards the program on here. I'm sure the players appreciated it and others are just lining up to help bring this program back for a bunch of fans who will turn their backs on them and mock them if the team isn't good enough for them.

Put a viably competitive, entertaining, winning product on the floor for a change and people will start supporting the program again and buying tickets again to watch them play... They've been pretty putrid and frustrating to watch now for over a decade and the really frustrating part is that Sharon Versyp is still around.. She should have been gone years ago. The fact that they just now are starting a process to replace her is what most fans of this program are angry about. It will take at least 3 years for this program to be competitive again and most of us realize that...and our fingers are crossed that Katie was the right choice to turn this program around, but if not, and she is terrible also, then the AD will hopefully replace her in a few years and try someone else to lead them. It's not going to be pretty in the short term especially this upcoming season, but there's at least some small glimmer of hope. It's a step in the right direction hopefully. And the Katie Gearlds era will at least be interesting to watch, because the alternative has been dismally unwatchable and boring as heck.

One thing she has going for her is that she can offer immediate playing time to new recruits.. that's one way that Matt Painter was able to convince Robbie Hummel, Moore and Johnson to come to Purdue in 2007 for the MBB team. He told them about the rich history of the program, and so can Katie... the WBB team won a NC in 1999 for God Sakes..and he promised them immediate playing time and lots of it, and so can Katie...She can tell them that they can be a part of something special, return this once proud program back to it's glory days... and a chance to make this team a national power again... It's going to take lots and lots of hard work and being able to network and recruit against the current powerhouse teams in the country again, and being able to land great players and coach them well, and she realizes that I'm sure, and she has lots of resources and the once proud history of this program to recruit on. Here's hoping she's up to the task and is very successful...BoilerUp!

Depends on the level of players that Katie is able to recruit in her first class. If she is able to get a couple of top 15-20 players in the country in that first class, she and the team may see immediate returns from her first recruiting class in the first year. That may be a pipe dream that she can get some elite talent in her first recruiting class but she has a lot to offer incoming freshmen next season and transfers. PU WBB has a rich history of success, just not lately, and she can offer lots of immediate playing time and exposure at one of the leading universities in the world and play in one of the best conferences in the nation, and offer them a chance to be a part of something special. I'm really looking forward to see how good of an evaluator of talent Katie turns out to be, because that seems to be one of the main things it takes now for college coaches, is being able to network, evaluate talent, and then being able to convince that talent to bring their talents and skills to your program, and your school...

One of the negatives of SV imho is that she had to settle for players that weren't talented and weren't highly recruited for the most part, and she wasn't the greatest evaluator of talent imo. Besides not being the best X's and O's coach and a great offensive basketball mind and teacher, she didn't seem to be great at going after elite talent for whatever reasons and convincing them to come to Purdue on a consistent basis. She lost recruiting battles of several highly recruited players more that it seemed was happening to previous PU WBB HC's and it showed in the W-L column over the last several years. It takes talent especially in WBB at the college level to be successful and Katie needs to get Purdue back to getting elite talent again.

For a little encouragement, check out the video interview with Katie Gearlds done by the @dubjellison guy on the Hammer and Rails website. It’s about 20-25 minutes, mostly softball questions, but KG’s enthusiasm for the job and the program almost jumps out of the screen at you.
For me, it was a breath of fresh air to hear her - and as far as “getting talent”, she speaks of how she recruited and landed high-rated players at Marian that seemed to be a coup for an NAIA school. It sure made me feel better about the future of the program. This gal has her head on straight, has a plan, and the resume and energy to succeed I think.
Fingers crossed and high hopes - AFTER next year.... 😊

Put a viably competitive, entertaining, winning product on the floor for a change and people will start supporting the program again and buying tickets again to watch them play... They've been pretty putrid and frustrating to watch now for over a decade and the really frustrating part is that Sharon Versyp is still around.. She should have been gone years ago. The fact that they just now are starting a process to replace her is what most fans of this program are angry about. It will take at least 3 years for this program to be competitive again and most of us realize that...and our fingers are crossed that Katie was the right choice to turn this program around, but if not, and she is terrible also, then the AD will hopefully replace her in a few years and try someone else to lead them. It's not going to be pretty in the short term especially this upcoming season, but there's at least some small glimmer of hope. It's a step in the right direction hopefully. And the Katie Gearlds era will at least be interesting to watch, because the alternative has been dismally unwatchable and boring as heck.
"They've been pretty putrid and frustrating to watch now for over a decade and the really frustrating part is that Sharon Versyp is still around.. She should have been gone years ago."

A bit of an exaggeration. They won the B1G WBB tournament in 2012 and 2013 and in 2017 finished 2nd. They only lost 9 games 3 years running from 2012 to 2014. Since then they have not been good but "putrid for a decade" is a prevarication. We need a change but your exaggeration is uncalled for.

"They've been pretty putrid and frustrating to watch now for over a decade and the really frustrating part is that Sharon Versyp is still around.. She should have been gone years ago."

A bit of an exaggeration. They won the B1G WBB tournament in 2012 and 2013 and in 2017 finished 2nd. They only lost 9 games 3 years running from 2012 to 2014. Since then they have not been good but "putrid for a decade" is a prevarication. We need a change but your exaggeration is uncalled for.
Exactly. If people want to use facts to make their point, I don't have a problem with that. When people start making stuff up, offering up overly dramatic and pessimistic predictions, and telling lies to fit their narrative, it tells me all I need to know. I see enough of that on both sides of the political aisle. I don't appreciate people trying to bring it here.

Exactly. If people want to use facts to make their point, I don't have a problem with that. When people start making stuff up, offering up overly dramatic and pessimistic predictions, and telling lies to fit their narrative, it tells me all I need to know. I see enough of that on both sides of the political aisle. I don't appreciate people trying to bring it here.
It's not an exaggeration at all... the program has been boring and horrible for a long time, maybe longer than a decade... But that's not the point is it? The point is we are here now with a new proposed transfer of leadership from Sharon to Katie and it sadly took at least 5 years too long to get to this point, but that was because of Sharon's buyout.., no one wanted to hold their nose and just buy her out of her contract... but we are where we are now... This upcoming season will tell us a lot... it will tell us how Katie leads, how she is as a talent evaluator and a recruiter and a teacher... I hope she is the answer for the future of this program... I will support her and I can't wait to see how she does and what she brings to the table.

Why do you focus on that? Focus on the future! The future hopefully is bright...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT