Apr 25, 2008
The new faces are:

Taylor 6-10 C-PF (RS)
Swanigan 6-8 PF
Eifert 6-6 F
Cline 6-4 G
Hill 6-3 G (Transfer)
Weatherford 6-2 G

It will be fun to see how they are blended into the team. The most likely redshirt is Eifert. He was a late bloomer who may need a year to grow into his body.

The new faces are:

Taylor 6-10 C-PF (RS)
Swanigan 6-8 PF
Eifert 6-6 F
Cline 6-4 G
Hill 6-3 G (Transfer)
Weatherford 6-2 G

It will be fun to see how they are blended into the team. The most likely redshirt is Eifert. He was a late bloomer who may need a year to grow into his body.

Does CMP redshirt walk-ons? I don't recall that happening before, but I suppose he may have.

The new faces are:

Taylor 6-10 C-PF (RS)
Swanigan 6-8 PF
Eifert 6-6 F
Cline 6-4 G
Hill 6-3 G (Transfer)
Weatherford 6-2 G

So before anyone (including the coaching staff) sees them play their first second of a D1 game, you've already figured out who is going to redshirt?

I love this place. I just wish more college basketball teams existed so some of you guys had an opportunity to coach.

Reactions: rjmpu82
I don't think Painter is going to worry about the future eligibility for a walk-on.

At the risk of upsetting Hunkgolden - I could definitely see a good case made for redshirting Cline assuming KS and DM are healthy and don't take a step back. And I say that knowing that he might be the best pure shooter on the team. Based on the handful of Carmel games I've seen, he definitely won't be asked to man the point. With VE at the 3 means he'll be competing for limited minutes at the 2.

Painter has brought up several times his regret for not shirting Ryne Smith, and I think this could be a similar circumstance. Thankfully, Painter will have plenty of time to see him compete in practice/exhibition games before he needs to make that call.

So before anyone (including the coaching staff) sees them play their first second of a D1 game, you've already figured out who is going to redshirt?

I love this place. I just wish more college basketball teams existed so some of you guys had an opportunity to coach.
It's the offseason and he's speculating. Exactly what is it that you think a message board is for?

douche_nozzle_cap.jpg

You think a walkon is going to get major minutes?

I don't think Painter is going to worry about the future eligibility for a walk-on.

At the risk of upsetting Hunkgolden - I could definitely see a good case made for redshirting Cline assuming KS and DM are healthy and don't take a step back. And I say that knowing that he might be the best pure shooter on the team. Based on the handful of Carmel games I've seen, he definitely won't be asked to man the point. With VE at the 3 means he'll be competing for limited minutes at the 2.

Painter has brought up several times his regret for not shirting Ryne Smith, and I think this could be a similar circumstance. Thankfully, Painter will have plenty of time to see him compete in practice/exhibition games before he needs to make that call.

I also so Cline play several times this year and often saw him playing point. So can't agree wtih you on this one, handles the ball really well and is a threat to score. Now if you were talking defense on a fast PG...then you might have me...

I also so Cline play several times this year and often saw him playing point. So can't agree wtih you on this one, handles the ball really well and is a threat to score. Now if you were talking defense on a fast PG...then you might have me...
I respect your opinion, but he played point mostly out of necessity - much like Ray D (at times) DM, and Vince Edwards. His handles were average at best against the HS level talent. That doesn't mean it will translate well at the college level. He struggled against double teams and turned it over a lot. He's much better suited to play off the ball.

You would enjoy this place (and the rest of your life) even better if you had stronger reading comprehension -- and thinking -- skills.

If anyone among the newcomers redshirts, who is "most likely"? Would it be a walk-on who plays at a position jammed with potential All-B1G candidates? THINK about it before you respond. Don't let your emotions rule your life.

It's an interesting question... Are walk-ons ever red shirted because there is the potential for them to become scholarship players who make significant contributions in the future? Late bloomer types seem to fit the scenario. Anyone know?

It's an interesting question... Are walk-ons ever red shirted because there is the potential for them to become scholarship players who make significant contributions in the future? Late bloomer types seem to fit the scenario. Anyone know?

I was thinking that Beshears was going to redshirt at one point, so I checked and found this. There is a reference to a redshirt year about halfway down the article.

http://www.purdueexponent.org/sport...cle_58bf1732-7bc8-55ff-935d-1e6167fcdcf9.html

While searching for it, I also found this story about a UCLA walk-on.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...t-of-basketball-shadow-cast-by-older-brothers

Redshirting a promising walk-on has few risks. You aren't using a scholarship, and on a loaded team you don't need him to play. I'm sure that Eifert's parents would love for him to have time to adjust and develop without losing eligibility.

Reactions: CRBoiler
Does he even burn a year of eligibility if he is not on scholarship? I mean, technically don't I have 4 years eligibility? I have always wondered that...

Athletes generally have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. The rule applies to all college athletes whether they are on scholarship or not. It isn't clear to me if a redshirt has to be declared up front, or if it can be declared retroactively after the player did not play in any games. Medical redshirts are often times retroactive.

Yep - 5 year clock starts when you enroll in school, scholarship athlete or not.

Athletes generally have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. The rule applies to all college athletes whether they are on scholarship or not. It isn't clear to me if a redshirt has to be declared up front, or if it can be declared retroactively after the player did not play in any games. Medical redshirts are often times retroactive.
-

ADVERTISEMENT