ADVERTISEMENT

New ESPN Rankings

Walker is a 3 star fringe 150 player per Rivals. Solid offer list including Butler, Cincy, Florida State, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Xavier and more. I don't think I have seen him play but he sound like he is worth a look to me.

Reactions: woggy718
Walker is a 3 star fringe 150 player per Rivals. Solid offer list including Butler, Cincy, Florida State, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Xavier and more. I don't think I have seen him play but he sound like he is worth a look to me.
Sarcasm. He was once committed to Purdue.

Yeah I thought I would just post the most general info about CJ that I could except for the fact that he was committed to us not long ago. I should have added a emoticon or something. Like :confused: or maybe something awesome like :eek:

I think the stats from the all-star game tell an interesting story about one of these recruits. Going 0-8 seems like the kid was trying to win the game by himself, hunting his shots, and maybe making poor shot selections. He did have some assists, but this looks all too familiar to me, smacking of a prior Purdue PG at his worst.

I don't know how coachable this kid would be, but I think we might have dodged a bullet with this situation. I would love to bring in a PG with the 2016 class, but can I get one without the sauce?

:cool:

CJ Walker -- #82
Joey Brunk -- #63
Jarron Cumberland -- #77
Xavier Simpson -- #87
The ranking services just love those guards that can drive to the basket and throw up those floaters. Sound familiar? The guys with the real deal - crafty dribble, good ball handling, and getting the whole team involved - like John Octeus did for us, those guys don't get the rankings.

I think the stats from the all-star game tell an interesting story about one of these recruits. Going 0-8 seems like the kid was trying to win the game by himself, hunting his shots, and maybe making poor shot selections. He did have some assists, but this looks all too familiar to me, smacking of a prior Purdue PG at his worst.

I don't know how coachable this kid would be, but I think we might have dodged a bullet with this situation. I would love to bring in a PG with the 2016 class, but can I get one without the sauce?

He is somehow related to RJ. We can and will do better than him.

Seth Towns fell out of the rankinga still a 4*. He would be my 2nd wing preference if we miss on Cumberland

Cj wants to be a coach on the floor a d not have the limitations of a coach telling him what to do

Yeh, that quote from him is so telling. Who ever gets this kid will have his hands full. CJ must think he is Lebron or something. I am sure he is a nice kid, but he carries an opinion of his skills that the #80-something ranked guard in the 2016 class probably should reconsider. At some point self-confidence becomes self-delusion.

...and, no, I am not hating on him because he recinded his commitment. Frankly, I was glad he did, given his attitude.

I figure people use sauce to cover up bad cooking. You can draw the parallel.

I'm surprised to see Brunk at #63, with Barret Benson not even ranked. I guess I thought they would be rated relatively similarly.

Apparently RJ and CJ don't think Biggie has much sauce, so he's going to Purdue. I wish no ill will on either kid, but it does affect recruiting when you think you have a guy in the fold and he backs out. Hope it doesn't hurt us too badly with Simpson, because we need a long term answer at the point.

Yeh, that quote from him is so telling. Who ever gets this kid will have his hands full. CJ must think he is Lebron or something. I am sure he is a nice kid, but he carries an opinion of his skills that the #80-something ranked guard in the 2016 class probably should reconsider. At some point self-confidence becomes self-delusion.

...and, no, I am not hating on him because he recinded his commitment. Frankly, I was glad he did, given his attitude.

I figure people use sauce to cover up bad cooking. You can draw the parallel.

I don't know the kid, but I'm pretty sure most of those kids have "attitudes." We all seem to want Xavier Simpson, but all he has been doing for the last 2 days is complaining about how low he is ranked on twitter. Does he have a bad "self-delusion" attitude?

Benson has been listed at 6-9 245 for quite some time now. Brunk 6-10 230 something. There's not a lot of difference there. Who's the better player? Who has more potential? Who's really interested in us? That's what I want to know.

I don't know the kid, but I'm pretty sure most of those kids have "attitudes." We all seem to want Xavier Simpson, but all he has been doing for the last 2 days is complaining about how low he is ranked on twitter. Does he have a bad "self-delusion" attitude?

Has he said he should be the "coach on the floor"? As a high school senior, coming into a major D1 program? XS might be self-centered, but I don't think worrying about twitter is the same level of hubris as our former recruit has exhibited, and that was my point.

Has he said he should be the "coach on the floor"? As a high school senior, coming into a major D1 program? XS might be self-centered, but I don't think worrying about twitter is the same level of hubris as our former recruit has exhibited, and that was my point.

I'm just saying all kids that are top level high school talent have the same thoughts. Some are not mature enough to think before they speak, but they are 16 after all. Every stud PG expects to be the "coach on the floor". Every stud QB expects to be the "coach on the field." That doesn't mean they're not team players. Its what the position usually entails. I do think Walker has the wrong influences in his ear, but I don't necessarily blame a 16 year old kid for that. Some people are just more blessed than others as to whom God has put in their lives.

Reactions: Schnelk

I want a player who thinks he can go out there and compete with anybody (and is as good as anyone), which Xavier clearly does.

Reactions: GregJM24
I'm just saying all kids that are top level high school talent have the same thoughts. Some are not mature enough to think before they speak, but they are 16 after all. Every stud PG expects to be the "coach on the floor". Every stud QB expects to be the "coach on the field." That doesn't mean they're not team players. Its what the position usually entails. I do think Walker has the wrong influences in his ear, but I don't necessarily blame a 16 year old kid for that. Some people are just more blessed than others as to whom God has put in their lives.
This is just plain wrong. RJ said in the media he wanted to be the "coach on the floor", and he said in the media that he and Painter had a disagreement about how to run the team. RJ thought he knew better how to run the team than the Head Coach. He didn't want to do what Painter wanted. He also destroyed the chemistry of the team and was a cancer in the locker room. I know for a fact that many of his teammates were glad he left Purdue because they were sick of his "gotta get mine" attitude. The biggest loser in all of this is RJ. Had he stopped listening to his ex-con father he might actually have played a big role in returning Purdue to prominence. Unfortunately, with him, Purdue went down the tubes for two seasons. Purdue had a losing record with him at PG and missed the NCAAT two straight seasons. It is no surprise that Purdue got better when he left.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
This is just plain wrong. RJ said in the media he wanted to be the "coach on the floor", and he said in the media that he and Painter had a disagreement about how to run the team. RJ thought he knew better how to run the team than the Head Coach. He didn't want to do what Painter wanted. He also destroyed the chemistry of the team and was a cancer in the locker room. I know for a fact that many of his teammates were glad he left Purdue because they were sick of his "gotta get mine" attitude. The biggest loser in all of this is RJ. Had he stopped listening to his ex-con father he might actually have played a big role in returning Purdue to prominence. Unfortunately, with him, Purdue went down the tubes for two seasons. Purdue had a losing record with him at PG and missed the NCAAT two straight seasons. It is no surprise that Purdue got better when he left.
I guess it would be wrong if I had been talking about RJ.

This is just not true. Maybe you don't know how twitter works. The only thing he said on twitter was.

Xavier Simpson ‏@Xaviersimpson3 Jun 9

#87 Overall?
Smh....#PlayBallAndStayHumble
#UnderRATED
!!!
Terrible!!!!

That's it, except I took out the emoticons. The rest that was posted wasn't him, he just retweeted. I'm know you're just using it as an example here and not calling him out, but these are the types of things that people latch onto here and you can bet down the road there will be some thread started about this kids attitude with some poor paraphrasing of what has been put in this thread. It's good to see him upset that he's only rated as 87. He wants to be better and has the drive to be better.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
It's easy to take quotes out of context.

I see nothing wrong with a point guard saying that we wants to be a coach on the floor. He should aspire to be a extension of the coaching staff, much like Robbie was as an upperclassman and Davis was last season.

It's easy to take quotes out of context.

I see nothing wrong with a point guard saying that we wants to be a coach on the floor. He should aspire to be a extension of the coaching staff, much like Robbie was as an upperclassman and Davis was last season.
Did you read my post? RJ said he wanted to be "the coach on the floor" and he acted like he wanted to be the "coach on the bench" too. He thought he knew more about basketball than Coach Painter. He openly defied Painter at times and didn't run what Painter wanted.

Did you read my post? RJ said he wanted to be "the coach on the floor" and he acted like he wanted to be the "coach on the bench" too. He thought he knew more about basketball than Coach Painter. He openly defied Painter at times and didn't run what Painter wanted.
RJ said a lot of things including a lot of the right things. It doesn't mean that every kid who says he wants to be a coach on the floor is uncoachable.

RJ said a lot of things including a lot of the right things. It doesn't mean that every kid who says he wants to be a coach on the floor is uncoachable.

I think you are sort of arguing with yourself. There is nothing wrong with aspiring to be the coach on the floor. There is a lot wrong with thinking you are the coach on the floor and ignoring the teachings and instruction of the actual coach to the detriment of the team. RJ was pretty much uncoachable at Purdue. If he pulls the same sh-t with Sampson, he will ride the pine. Me thinks Walker is made of the same metal.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I think you are sort of arguing with yourself. There is nothing wrong with aspiring to be the coach on the floor. There is a lot wrong with thinking you are the coach on the floor and ignoring the teachings and instruction of the actual coach to the detriment of the team. RJ was pretty much uncoachable at Purdue. If he pulls the same sh-t with Sampson, he will ride the pine. Me thinks Walker is made of the same metal.

Maybe CJ is. Maybe he isn't. But, I don't know enough about him to know and I doubt many on this board do.

Apparently RJ and CJ don't think Biggie has much sauce, so he's going to Purdue. I wish no ill will on either kid, but it does affect recruiting when you think you have a guy in the fold and he backs out. Hope it doesn't hurt us too badly with Simpson, because we need a long term answer at the point.

I'm still not sure what sauce is, but if it was RJ's greatest asset, then I hope MP avoids guys with sauce like it was the plague.

Is he more closely related than Terone?
You are being disingenuous. Terone did what Coach Painter asked of him. His career didn't quite finish the way he would have liked, but he was and always will be a Boilermaker.

It seems that the ex-con father has had more influence with RJ and unfortunately RJ listened to him.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
You are being disingenuous. Terone did what Coach Painter asked of him. His career didn't quite finish the way he would have liked, but he was and always will be a Boilermaker.

It seems that the ex-con father has had more influence with RJ and unfortunately RJ listened to him.
Not disingenuous at all. My point is that being "somehow related" to RJ is not a red flag. Nobody is more closely related than TJ and TJ did what Painter asked of him.

I get what the real issue here is. CJ decommitted from Purdue. I didn't like it either and I didn't like that RJ was in his ear, telling him that he has too much sauce in his game to go to Purdue. But, I am not going to sink to the level of the MSU fans who are trashing Swanigan at every opportunity. CJ is just a kid who, like Swanigan, felt like he made a mistake by committing too early. It's time to move on.

Reactions: Frankie611
Yeah I thought I would just post the most general info about CJ that I could except for the fact that he was committed to us not long ago. I should have added a emoticon or something. Like :confused: or maybe something awesome like :eek:
Or some might need more explicit things like:
tumblr_lo1hgvVQ4d1qj73e2o1_500.gif

Not disingenuous at all. My point is that being "somehow related" to RJ is not a red flag. Nobody is more closely related than TJ and TJ did what Painter asked of him.

I get what the real issue here is. CJ decommitted from Purdue. I didn't like it either and I didn't like that RJ was in his ear, telling him that he has too much sauce in his game to go to Purdue. But, I am not going to sink to the level of the MSU fans who are trashing Swanigan at every opportunity. CJ is just a kid who, like Swanigan, felt like he made a mistake by committing too early. It's time to move on.
Great post. I really wish this whole thought process would go away. Ronnie has not been on the team for a while now. Terone loved Purdue and was a solid player for us. Now people are trashing his dad for no reason. Just leave them be and quit ripping on the family if for nothing else, the sake of a dedicated Boiler, Terone Johnson.

Great post. I really wish this whole thought process would go away. Ronnie has not been on the team for a while now. Terone loved Purdue and was a solid player for us. Now people are trashing his dad for no reason. Just leave them be and quit ripping on the family if for nothing else, the sake of a dedicated Boiler, Terone Johnson.

People should DEFINITELY trash the father. He was not involved in their lives at all until they were playing college ball (specifically when RJ started playing) and when he got involved all he had to say was that Purdue was not a place that was going to get you to the pros.

Behind the scenes, Mr. Johnson was undermining Painter. Calling kids on the team and their parents telling them to leave the program and advising players to "get their own" while they still could. I think Mr. Johnson was one of the cogs working with some of the Region sketch balls to get Ray Day out of the program and convince him Purdue was not the place for him.

F that guy.

That said, I don't think anybody should slam Terone. Kid worked and played hard. I think at times he fell into what his brother was trying to do, but his first 2-3 years here he was a solid team player for us.

Reactions: Cleanface
ADVERTISEMENT