ADVERTISEMENT

NC State and Doeren finished 7-5

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
while being on their site since we play their B Ball team tonight, I noticed they went 7-5 after a miserable first year under Doeren . I really thought the way things played out he was going to be our football coach a couple of years ago.

It's my feeling that if you can coach, it doesn't take 3-5 years to turn a program around. If you're a winning coach you can coach a winning team.

Ive always been mystified by that sentiment too.

The only coaches that get that luxery are the ones that effectively use what they have to get what they want to make that 3-5 year team the coach wants. Even if Hazell turns it around, he still has to dig himself out of recruiting, fan apathy, and whatever else all this losing affects.

Not an apples to apples comparison. NC State averaged 8 wins per season the three seasons before Doeren took over and his predecessor, Tom O'Brien, was an excellent and highly respected coach.

Yeah, NC State was in better shape beforehand, but I think the other apples and oranges aspect of this comparison is that NC state got their wins against some pretty weak teams. Until they beat UNC (a solid team), they had only beaten Presbyterian, USF, Wake Forest, ODU, and Georgia Southern--not exactly world-beaters.

Wolfpack Schedule

Sounds like the last few bowl seasons Purdue has had.

I mean, you have to be really bad to only get 1-3 wins anymore. I mean IU finished with 4 wins and how many QBs did they go through? They were on bare bones.

I mean, hell, Illinois is going to a bowl game! They are not good.

Yeah, good point. I'd still say that Doeren hasn't quite proven himself to be a savior, but obviously they're in much better shape than we are with Hazell so far.

the wins build a good foundation, their recruiting is on an uptake, currently their class has 3- 4*'s, 9 - 3*'s, and 4 - 2*'s. I think he would have been a close to perfect fit for us when we were looking esp. now w/ UM, psu, and Iowa being down and we are unable to take advantage of that.

There was a lot of skepticism about Doeren in the Raleigh newspaper, but that seems to have settled down with the wins over UNC and, to a lesser extent, Wake Forest. But he's definitely building on things with a solid recruiting class.

But, yeah, it's hard to see Hazell gaining much momentum during a time when several Big Ten teams are struggling or historically weak (i.e. Rutgers).

Doeren took over as head coach of NIU when Kill left...it was his first HC job, and he was there for 2 years, so I'm wondering how this was the perfect D1 experience? and Hazell has the same resume except he was an Asst. HC at OSU, so what makes Doeren a better pick for Purdue? Both had 2 years HC experience in the MAC. I don't get that thinking at all.

confused0024.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT