ADVERTISEMENT

Moving shot clock?

punaj

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Liberty, KY
To me, the only time I don't like the current length of the shot clock is at the end of games when a team holds the ball and the other is forced to foul constantly. Has there ever been talk of a 35 second clock for all of the game except the last minute or two of each half, and then cut it down to 20 or 24 seconds? That would help get more possessions at the end of the game but keep the rest of the game as it is. Probably a crazy idea.

You do know that a new rule has already been passed to change the length of the shot clock to 30 seconds, starting next season, right?

You do know that a new rule has already been passed to change the length of the shot clock to 30 seconds, starting next season, right?

Sure, it's been discussed at length here. I was just proposing an alternative scenario for discussion.

How about abandon the shot clock all together, instead have it be a clock that states the offense must get the ball in side the arc or in the lane every 10 seconds, a shot would also count to reset the clock.

They could stop the needless fouling if they simply called the intentional foul that they used for a couple of years. 2 shots and the ball would end all that.

To me, the only time I don't like the current length of the shot clock is at the end of games when a team holds the ball and the other is forced to foul constantly. Has there ever been talk of a 35 second clock for all of the game except the last minute or two of each half, and then cut it down to 20 or 24 seconds? That would help get more possessions at the end of the game but keep the rest of the game as it is. Probably a crazy idea.
I agree that this would make sense. I don't see any reason to go there in the first half, but a 24 second shot clock at the end of games would make the finish of games more entertaining, IMO.

I still wouldn't go to 20 seconds, because that's going to far in favoring the team that can quickly spread the floor and isolate a one on one player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT