ADVERTISEMENT

Memories of Purdue-Minnesota FB

Jul 9, 2015
I know Herrmann's Jr year, we unexplainably lost to Minnie, costing us a probable Rose Bowl berth. Similarly in '68, they may have cost us a top 5 finish. Ironically, our late season victory over them in 1960 did not cost them their tainted Natty. Recently, they have had our number. I love old time Big 10 original football teams going against one another. Let's go get 'em!

I know Herrmann's Jr year, we unexplainably lost to Minnie, costing us a probable Rose Bowl berth. Similarly in '68, they may have cost us a top 5 finish. Ironically, our late season victory over them in 1960 did not cost them their tainted Natty. Recently, they have had our number. I love old time Big 10 original football teams going against one another. Let's go get 'em!
I came out for Homecoming in 84 and the opponent was Minny. Typival close game w/ some big plays. One play Minny was punting on 4th and long, the snap sailed over the punters head by 15 yds. The punter picked up the ball and either ran w/ it or passed it for a 1st down, Totally deflating play, couldn't believe it. We won when we threw on a 4th and short play for a TD by Fr QB Fox, who after the year transferred to Fla.

Reactions: drewjin
I came out for Homecoming in 84 and the opponent was Minny. Typival close game w/ some big plays. One play Minny was punting on 4th and long, the snap sailed over the punters head by 15 yds. The punter picked up the ball and either ran w/ it or passed it for a 1st down, Totally deflating play, couldn't believe it. We won when we threw on a 4th and short play for a TD by Fr QB Fox, who after the year transferred to Fla.
Fox was there in 87 or 88, right?

The Purdue v. Minnesota series was wild throughout the 90s and the early Tiller years, too. Defense was minimal.

1993: PU 56 @Minn 59 (set an NCAA record for points scored in a loss; since topped several times)
1994: PU 49 Minn 37
1995: PU 38 @Minn 39
1997: PU 59 @Minn 43
1998: PU 56 Minn 21

The 2001 game was one of the wildest games I can remember. Purdue was down 28-17 midway through the 4th quarter at the old Metrodome before mounting a furious comeback that included a controversial last-second field goal to send the game into OT.

Purdue scored a td on the first OT possession to go up 35-28. Minnesota appeared to score the equalizer on the very next play, but the the officials waived it off, possibly confused by an unusual design in the endzones. A Minnesota player caught the pass outside the painted area but clearly within the endzone. The officials ruled it incomplete. No replay back then. A Stu Shweigert interception sealed it for Purdue a few plays later. Crazy.

The Purdue v. Minnesota series was wild throughout the 90s and the early Tiller years, too. Defense was minimal.

1993: PU 56 @Minn 59 (set an NCAA record for points scored in a loss; since topped several times)

The 2001 game was one of the wildest games I can remember. Purdue was down 28-17 midway through the 4th quarter at the old Metrodome before mounting a furious comeback that included a controversial last-second field goal to send the game into OT.

Purdue scored a td on the first OT possession to go up 35-28. Minnesota appeared to score the equalizer on the very next play, but the the officials waived it off, possibly confused by an unusual design in the endzones. A Minnesota player caught the pass outside the painted area but clearly within the endzone. The officials ruled it incomplete. No replay back then. A Stu Shweigert interception sealed it for Purdue a few plays later. Crazy.
was that the game where Tiller called that pass to Davis on a 4th and 1 ?

Not sure.

The thing I remember about that game (other than Minnesota getting robbed of an obvious touchdown in OT) was Purdue getting the ball deep in their own territory down 28-25 with about 20 seconds left in regulation. Brandon Hance somehow completed two long passes to get Purdue into field goal range. But Purdue had no timeouts and had to scramble to get the fieldgoal attempt snapped before time ran out. Dortsh nailed it.

That wasn't a great game for Purdue. But it was a wild ending.

Not sure.

The thing I remember about that game (other than Minnesota getting robbed of an obvious touchdown in OT) was Purdue getting the ball deep in their own territory down 28-25 with about 20 seconds left in regulation. Brandon Hance somehow completed two long passes to get Purdue into field goal range. But Purdue had no timeouts and had to scramble to get the fieldgoal attempt snapped before time ran out. Dortsh nailed it.

That wasn't a great game for Purdue. But it was a wild ending.
another memory for me is when Garrett Miller made that sensational catch where he went outstretched and caught it.

Reactions: rgarlitz

I think Colletto fired the DC after that loss in 1993.

Reactions: rgarlitz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT