ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Gillis

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Gillis is off to a really nice start shooting the ball this season at 10-19 from 3, 6-12 from 2, and 11-13 from the line. He appears to be shooting with confidence and making defenses pay when they leave him open.

If he can keep it up I think Purdue can go a long way with him as the primary 4. I like TKR and Furst, but I still feel like Gillis fits best next to Edey, while giving Smith a trustworthy outlet. He brings that combination of shooter who you have to account for and junk yard dog who makes the timely hustle play when it is needed most.

Gillis is off to a really nice start shooting the ball this season at 10-19 from 3, 6-12 from 2, and 11-13 from the line. He appears to be shooting with confidence and making defenses pay when they leave him open.

If he can keep it up I think Purdue can go a long way with him as the primary 4. I like TKR and Furst, but I still feel like Gillis fits best next to Edey, while giving Smith a trustworthy outlet. He brings that combination of shooter who you have to account for and junk yard dog who makes the timely hustle play when it is needed most.

What you want out of your Seniors ....production and understanding of how to win. Not that Furst doesn't rebound better(& @ times will demand minutes for that), but for the all around game on both sides, mixing better with Z, right now G.

I admire Gillis. His work ethic is second to none and he has always done whatever Painter and the staff have asked of him -- a great teammate and Boilermaker.

Love the Masonator!

giphy.gif

Don't look for any change from Matt as long as Purdue wins. Matt likes starting Trey and sees long term benefit in doing so. That said Caleb and Mason are both going to get plenty of minutes each game with one getting more minutes than the other two as a function of what Purdue needs. All three are different in what they provide. Mason may be my wife's favorite player for all he brings to the game...even when missing shots. He is undersized when inside the trees, but the best perimeter shooter by far over the other two. What we don't know is with as hard as Mason plays, does less minutes benefit him in his shooting? I don't know that, but perhaps it helps. Maybe it helps all to see the game a bit from the bench until their turn? We know Braden has been helped with Lance taking the pg on D.

What we do know is that Zach has flourished and got his points when all three play and so I don't know that one player has hurt Zach's production like many anticipated, because they are used to seeing a Mason type shooter at the 4 for Purdue...and Mason will be greatly needed in some games and just needed in others. Perhaps a more in-depth study might reveal something, but there are so many variables like the +/- that may be a bit confusing.

If Purdue gets beat, then we "might" see a lineup change, but Matt likes people to play within themselves and part of doing that is knowing what you do well and know that is why you are being sent into the game.

Don't look for any change from Matt as long as Purdue wins. Matt likes starting Trey and sees long term benefit in doing so. That said Caleb and Mason are both going to get plenty of minutes each game with one getting more minutes than the other two as a function of what Purdue needs. All three are different in what they provide. Mason may be my wife's favorite player for all he brings to the game...even when missing shots. He is undersized when inside the trees, but the best perimeter shooter by far over the other two. What we don't know is with as hard as Mason plays, does less minutes benefit him in his shooting? I don't know that, but perhaps it helps. Maybe it helps all to see the game a bit from the bench until their turn? We know Braden has been helped with Lance taking the pg on D.

What we do know is that Zach has flourished and got his points when all three play and so I don't know that one player has hurt Zach's production like many anticipated, because they are used to seeing a Mason type shooter at the 4 for Purdue...and Mason will be greatly needed in some games and just needed in others. Perhaps a more in-depth study might reveal something, but there are so many variables like the +/- that may be a bit confusing.

If Purdue gets beat, then we "might" see a lineup change, but Matt likes people to play within themselves and part of doing that is knowing what you do well and know that is why you are being sent into the game.
Very well said, as always TJ!

Fran was right. He could be a starter on most good teams. He's a starter coming off the bench. Such a valuable weapon.

Gillis is definitely our best perimeter shooting 4. I know it’s been discussed before. But could he play the 3 and allow Furst or TKR play the 4? Could his shooting skills overcome his perceived defensive shortcomings at the 3 ?

I’ve always wanted our 3 position to have a taller forward type than a third guard.

Is it possible?

Gillis is definitely our best perimeter shooting 4. I know it’s been discussed before. But could he play the 3 and allow Furst or TKR play the 4? Could his shooting skills overcome his perceived defensive shortcomings at the 3 ?

I’ve always wanted our 3 position to have a taller forward type than a third guard.

Is it possible?
His ball handling has improved and he now will drive it some, but he is still best at the 4 IMO. If he had a couple of years to go...then perhaps some time would happen, Right now we have Myles and Cam as primary backups at the 3.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
His ball handling has improved and he now will drive it some, but he is still best at the 4 IMO. If he had a couple of years to go...then perhaps some time would happen, Right now we have Myles and Cam as primary backups at the 3.
Maybe my dream of having a tall player playing the 3 rather than a shooting guard will come true with Catchings.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Maybe my dream of having a tall player playing the 3 rather than a shooting guard will come true with Catchings.
Very easily could come true. He can play 2 through 4, but he is a bit frail at this time and the 3 might be his best spot when he enters. Myles and Cam are as tall as Mason this year though and they aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Fran was right. He could be a starter on most good teams. He's a starter coming off the bench. Such a valuable weapon.
I like all three of Purdue’s fours, but also understand they provide different things with none being one that does it all. There is no Robbie Hummel or Vince Edwards here that can do it all and so it makes sense to use the players as needed for most their minutes. Here are just a few quick things I could list in why Matt is starting Trey.

1) Trey has a better chance of drawing fouls to get in bonus earlier.
2) If Mason plays closer to bonus, Mason is the better FT shooter. Let him get his minutes later.
3) Trey got very few minutes last year and it would be the same with Zach returning this year. This provides more minutes and gets Trey in game shape and comfortable as well as growing his game more versatile.
4) Trey getting more minutes and being in better game shape provides a better backup should Zach not be able to play for some reason
5) If that were to happen, it would also offer a more experienced 4 should Caleb go to the 5
6) Should Purdue play in a game where the other team was very physical and Purdue was cold on the perimeter and needed war in the paint, Trey can help inside should the game turn to a physical slugfest inside and Zach needed another big body to score inside.
7) Should Purdue play a team that was limited inside and developed a high low game to overpower a team, that option would exist at Matt's disposal.
8) Zach is gone next year, Trey being more versatile whether at a 5 or 4 next year will benefit from his minutes this year at the 4.

Again, I can make a case to play Mason, Caleb or Trey depending on what is needed since none do it all and I like all three and don’t care how many minutes each gets, but I’m fully aware that they are different and have different strengths and weaknesses. Playing Trey at the 4 makes Purdue more versatile this year and also helps for next year when Zach is gone. The more versatile the players are the more you can do with them…the more they can play no matter the situation.

He seems healthy this year. I think he had a back injury last year and just looks like he's not as stiff this year.

I agree Gillis is the better option at the 4 now. I'm probably in the minority on still letting TKR and Furst get their minutes though. I'm all for letting TKR figure things out now so this team has chance to reach it's full potential in March. I'm also for saving Mason's legs so his shot is pure in March. Just keep playing him in winning time during the regular season.

He seems healthy this year. I think he had a back injury last year and just looks like he's not as stiff this year.

I agree Gillis is the better option at the 4 now. I'm probably in the minority on still letting TKR and Furst get their minutes though. I'm all for letting TKR figure things out now so this team has chance to reach it's full potential in March. I'm also for saving Mason's legs so his shot is pure in March. Just keep playing him in winning time during the regular season.
forgot about his back...good point. Keep them fresh and get them all minutes

I like all three of Purdue’s fours, but also understand they provide different things with none being one that does it all. There is no Robbie Hummel or Vince Edwards here that can do it all and so it makes sense to use the players as needed for most their minutes. Here are just a few quick things I could list in why Matt is starting Trey.

1) Trey has a better chance of drawing fouls to get in bonus earlier.
2) If Mason plays closer to bonus, Mason is the better FT shooter. Let him get his minutes later.
3) Trey got very few minutes last year and it would be the same with Zach returning this year. This provides more minutes and gets Trey in game shape and comfortable as well as growing his game more versatile.
4) Trey getting more minutes and being in better game shape provides a better backup should Zach not be able to play for some reason
5) If that were to happen, it would also offer a more experienced 4 should Caleb go to the 5
6) Should Purdue play in a game where the other team was very physical and Purdue was cold on the perimeter and needed war in the paint, Trey can help inside should the game turn to a physical slugfest inside and Zach needed another big body to score inside.
7) Should Purdue play a team that was limited inside and developed a high low game to overpower a team, that option would exist at Matt's disposal.
8) Zach is gone next year, Trey being more versatile whether at a 5 or 4 next year will benefit from his minutes this year at the 4.

Again, I can make a case to play Mason, Caleb or Trey depending on what is needed since none do it all and I like all three and don’t care how many minutes each gets, but I’m fully aware that they are different and have different strengths and weaknesses. Playing Trey at the 4 makes Purdue more versatile this year and also helps for next year when Zach is gone. The more versatile the players are the more you can do with them…the more they can play no matter the situation.
pure wisdom

I am not necessarily calling for a starting line-up change. By starting TKR, Painter can get him a few minutes early and then bring him back off the bench, not totally cold, when Edey needs a rest and he needs to be the primary post threat. Gillis is getting the most minutes of the 3 on average and he seems to be getting his minutes while Edey is in the game.

I’ve also been impressed with TKR’s versatility on offense. He’s been shooting well. Where I have more concerns is with his defense where I would prefer to keep him out of switches.

Reactions: tjreese

+1 - Love me some Mason bopping (hitting other guys), it's like it's his assigned role to pop the opposing center as he tries to set up in the post. Just passing through the lane? You get a little pop. Try to camp there? You get a bigger one. It's a pretty big thing, sets the tone for the whole team I think.
That said, we HAVE to get TKR going offensively, and he's continued to improve from game to game. I was a bit surprised he didn't see much 2nd half after a pretty good 1st half. Made 3, made free throws (and looking MUCH better there).
Furst is the next Morton here I think. I love all the little things he does and his defense but he just can't get it going offensively. I wish he would learn to go up QUICK when he gets the ball in the paint. He always delays, faking, but crouching down and making himself small and then brings the ball down behind his head and get stuffed way to much for someone his size. Dunk the ball Caleb. QUICKLY when you get it!!
They all bring 'stuff' to the table that you want to eat.

Last edited:
I am not necessarily calling for a starting line-up change. By starting TKR, Painter can get him a few minutes early and then bring him back off the bench, not totally cold, when Edey needs a rest and he needs to be the primary post threat. Gillis is getting the most minutes of the 3 on average and he seems to be getting his minutes while Edey is in the game.

I’ve also been impressed with TKR’s versatility on offense. He’s been shooting well. Where I have more concerns is with his defense where I would prefer to keep him out of switches.
Oh, I understand. Some talk about Trey being an experiment and it is deep enough in the season having faced some really tough teams that there is no experiment. Doing what Matt has done...playing all three at different times has worked well and spacing has not been the issue many posters thought and of course that is two tailed spec in that you can have too much spacing and not enough. Matt always thought he could play beside Trey and like you concerned with him on the perimeter in D. I don't know that I have seen that a problem at this time. Caleb is best if the 4 man is a scoring threat for D with his athletic ability and height, but Mason does well for quickness, just loses some height, but Trey appears to be using his height to compensate a bit for his not as quick feet so far. The more Trey plays with Zach, the more helpful it is for both, and definitely a help for next year...without hurting Purdue this year since we all know Zach still gets his. Mason has a LOT of experience playing with Zach and his delta for improvement is smaller than Trey I would think, but if you need a perimeter shooter, Mason is towards the top of the list for all the players. Should have three well rested players in March at the 4

+1 - Love me some Mason bopping (hitting other guys), it's like it's his assigned role to pop the opposing center as he tries to set up in the post. Just passing through the lane? You get a little pop. Try to camp there? You get a bigger one. It's a pretty big thing, sets the tone for the whole team I think.
That said, we HAVE to get TKR going offensively, and he's continued to improve from game to game. I was a bit surprised he didn't see much 2nd half after a pretty good 1st half. Made 3, made free throws (and looking MUCH better there).
Furst is the next Morton here I think. I love all the little things he does and his defense but he just can't get it going offensively. I wish he would learn to go up QUICK when he gets the ball in the paint. He always delays, faking, but crouching down and making himself small and then brings the ball down behind his head and get stuffed way to much for someone his size. Dunk the ball Caleb. QUICKLY when you get it!!
They all bring 'stuff' to the table that you want to eat.
The nice things is Matt has 3 very different 4 men to play. Need perimeter shooting more than anything...Mason is your man. Need toughness...Mason is your man. Need a more mobile 4 with height for D more than O that can run the court and get some garbage baskets...Caleb is that guy. Need a Big, not as quick as Caleb, but definitely more O day in and day out...he is Trey. Need a FT shooter if it looks like the opponent is going to need to start fouling to stop the clock....Mason is your guy.

The whole mix-match activity with Zack, Trey, Furst, and Gillis makes Purdue very hard to guard consistently. When Zack goes out, we usually do not lose ground. The second shift not only keeps the point differential, but often has improved our position. The opponent gets used to guarding the initial pattern of offense, then suddenly, we do something completely different with different talented players coming off the bench. It's like having to prepare for two teams at the same time.

:cool:

The whole mix-match activity with Zack, Trey, Furst, and Gillis makes Purdue very hard to guard consistently. When Zack goes out, we usually do not lose ground. The second shift not only keeps the point differential, but often has improved our position. The opponent gets used to guarding the initial pattern of offense, then suddenly, we do something completely different with different talented players coming off the bench. It's like having to prepare for two teams at the same time.

:cool:
and since none are counted on to do all, they can play so very hard in their limited times. The only problem will be should a game very very close and tough, Purdue has no one guy that can do it all. That guy has to play O and D.

What you want out of your Seniors ....production and understanding of how to win. Not that Furst doesn't rebound better(& @ times will demand minutes for that), but for the all around game on both sides, mixing better with Z, right now G.
It all depends on game situations and match ups. Its great we have three guys we can use in that spot. I'm for stopping all of the crap about one guy being better than another, Against Bama Furst was needed the most for rebounding against really tall guys. He did a great job in that situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT