ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs Purdue TV info

I forgot about that Sunday junk. Good decision for the program for sure, just not to my tastes

The only thing I don't like is the Fox Sports 1 as I cannot get that channel where I live. I like the Sunday idea though.

I'm not big on non-Saturday games but since it's the Labor Day weekend I'm okay with it. It's the only FBS game being played that day.

Arent you the guy who blasts nonbelievers on the basketball board. Seems a bit uneven.
Difference is that the basketball program has shown evidence of success where the football team hasn't. If that weren't the case, then I would be all on board with the football team but unlike the basketball program there currently isn't any evidence that is going to change.

If that changes, I would be more than happy to change my outlook on the football program.

When you were calling everyone names, Basketball had just lost to UNF and GW and was staring down the barrel of a 3rd year not in the tourney. It definitely turned for the better, but you had no evidence at the time.

When you were calling everyone names, Basketball had just lost to UNF and GW and was staring down the barrel of a 3rd year not in the tourney. It definitely turned for the better, but you had no evidence at the time.
Not correct. The current coaching staff for the basketball program had history of being successful and was pretty obvious it would change and I was right. The current football staff hasn't shown that ability nor that they even have the ability to turn things around yet, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

If they manage to change that perception then I will defend them just as much as I did the basketball program. And if Painter was blundering as much as the football team and had no supporting history for success, then I would have been on the same bandwagon as the others. Respect is earned from me and not given blindly.

Last edited:
Reactions: West James
This is the put up or shut up year for our coaching staff. I want to see progress at .500or better or I will be joining the hire a different coach bandwagon.

Reactions: Mullah
This is the put up or shut up year for our coaching staff. I want to see progress at .500or better or I will be joining the hire a different coach bandwagon.
I'm still cautiously optimistic for the football team. I think if we got a new OC as opposed to an entire staff we'd be far more successful.

But like you said, this year is make or break. There is no excuse that will explain another terrible season and I hope that DH wins. I like him as a person and his personality can go a long way, but sooner or later you have to start showing results.

If you were going to replace the OC, it was this year. If there is a bad season this year, Hazell is a lame duck and most likely wont be able to land a decent candidate.

agree Nat. Hazell has made it clear that the offensive identity comes from him as much as it does Schoop both in interviews and by not firing him. I dont understand why people just point at OC.

Also agree with BBG that I like how he presents himself. I know Im splitting hairs, but we dont see his personality, we see what he wants us to see. For all we know he could be equally great or terrible as a person.

Going off of what Burke says, I bet we have Haz through at least year 4.

If you were going to replace the OC, it was this year. If there is a bad season this year, Hazell is a lame duck and most likely wont be able to land a decent candidate.
One thing that intrigues me is that Hazell brought in Terry Malone as the TE Coach. He has a strong background, as he was the OL coach on Michigan's NC team in 1997 and he served as OC at Michigan for awhile. He was also the TE coach at New Orleans.

I hope and pray that Malone rubs off on both Hazell and Shoop. I also hope and pray that Malone brought his Saints playbook with him and that Purdue implements at least a portion of that playbook. Finally, I hope that the staff figures out who the QB should be and that, for once, they get it right.

One thing that intrigues me is that Hazell brought in Terry Malone as the TE Coach. He has a strong background, as he was the OL coach on Michigan's NC team in 1997 and he served as OC at Michigan for awhile. He was also the TE coach at New Orleans.

I hope and pray that Malone rubs off on both Hazell and Shoop. I also hope and pray that Malone brought his Saints playbook with him and that Purdue implements at least a portion of that playbook. Finally, I hope that the staff figures out who the QB should be and that, for once, they get it right.
I hope all of this happens.

Last edited:
agree Nat. Hazell has made it clear that the offensive identity comes from him as much as it does Schoop both in interviews and by not firing him. I dont understand why people just point at OC.

Also agree with BBG that I like how he presents himself. I know Im splitting hairs, but we dont see his personality, we see what he wants us to see. For all we know he could be equally great or terrible as a person.

Going off of what Burke says, I bet we have Haz through at least year 4.
Yeah you both are right. If the OC was going to be gone, he would of been already. Aside from that I think that you can separate coaching skill and personality and be good at one and not the other.

My fear is that if this season is terrible and we are stuck with Haz until year four, that could be a death sentence for the football program. While I defended Hope to an extent, he clearly wasn't going to get us at best to a mediocre level and so far Haz and company have actually regressed from that. I really would like to see Haz succeed but this is make or break for him IMO. If things tank, then we may be stuck with him until year four .. but there will be even less fan interest (if that is possible) and I suspect the bandwagon to fire him will be overflowing.

Yeah you both are right. If the OC was going to be gone, he would of been already. Aside from that I think that you can separate coaching skill and personality and be good at one and not the other.

My fear is that if this season is terrible and we are stuck with Haz until year four, that could be a death sentence for the football program. While I defended Hope to an extent, he clearly wasn't going to get us at best to a mediocre level and so far Haz and company have actually regressed from that. I really would like to see Haz succeed but this is make or break for him IMO. If things tank, then we may be stuck with him until year four .. but there will be even less fan interest (if that is possible) and I suspect the bandwagon to fire him will be overflowing.

You're right. Next year needs to be at least 7-5 regular season....anything less, hazell should be gone or at the very least, be forced into major staff changes and given one more year to turn the program around. So far, he's been a major,expensive bust.

If you haven't already purchased tickets for Purdue at Marshall, single game tickets go on sale today after 5 PM ET at HerdZone.com. $40 sideline sections, $30 general admission end zone(upper sections).

Use promo code FAMILY and get 4 sideline tickets for $100 and a $20 concessions voucher. Visitors seating is in sideline sections 101 and 103.

Seating Chart

Buy Tickets

You're right. Next year needs to be at least 7-5 regular season....anything less, hazell should be gone or at the very least, be forced into major staff changes and given one more year to turn the program around. So far, he's been a major,expensive bust.

So he HAS to be BETTER than Hope ever was AND clean up the mess Hope left at the same time?

OK....

All he has to do this year is not regress. Getting to a bowl in/by year 4 has always been the goal.

All he has to do this year is not regress. Getting to a bowl in/by year 4 has always been the goal.

According to whom?

Its
Lose big
Lose little
win little
win big

We should see win little this year, meaning bowl eligibility.

No he didnt. IMO, if Burke would have let him, Rock would have been his OC. Dont think he would have been any worse.

Maybe one of those "suggestions" Burke made to Hazell that Tiller was talking about.

But as you posted, if this season goes poorly, who can you get to come in on a possible one year deal....Higgins? Nord?

According to whom?

Its
Lose big
Lose little
win little
win big

We should see win little this year, meaning bowl eligibility.

According to the AD. You don't have to like it or believe me. Burke knew exactly where they program was and exactly how long it would take to get back.

According to the AD. You don't have to like it or believe me. Burke knew exactly where they program was and exactly how long it would take to get back.

Is this is a private statement to you or something he said to the media.

Is this is a private statement to you or something he said to the media.

All the media stuff focused on immediately taking steps forward. Numerous Hazell and Burke articles said the only thing in the programs way was discipline.

Perhaps he does have them on speed dial.

All the media stuff focused on immediately taking steps forward. Numerous Hazell and Burke articles said the only thing in the programs way was discipline.

Perhaps he does have them on speed dial.

That is why i asked. The "rebuild" line became the popular narrative once Hazell went with the youth movement in 2013.

Right. They were both quite clear that it was reasonable to expect more in 13 than 12. Along with a wide variety of strengths that were no where to be found in 13.

Ive heard a coach or two give a PR, 'give me a couple years' when walking in the door. Neither one went anywhere near it.

The only thing like that was Schoop talking about taking 3-4 years to really learn the offense.

I'm more interested in Burke than Hazell, and Ive never heard him say something specific like the four year plan PB outlined. Not saying it didnt happen.

I haven't heard him say anything close to that in a direct quote...sorry. That said, Burke is incredibly positive about the future of the program and yes, he will tell you in person and off the record that he thought it would be a long way back and that he knew no matter who he hired that this transition was not going to look like the Coletto to Tiller transition.

You don't have to believe me. Doesn't matter to me. Barring a huge backslide or disaster, Hazel gets 4 years to get us to 7 wins. That IS a direct quote...but it's obviously not one that's shared by MB in public.

You don't have to believe me. Doesn't matter to me.
Agree. Internet posters cant prove or disprove who they are.

Burke is incredibly positive about the future of the program
He always is. Hes made similar endorsements for Tiller in good and bad years, Hope, and Hazell.

he will tell you in person and off the record that he thought it would be a long way back and that he knew no matter who he hired that this transition
Lets assume this is true, wow did he do a terrible selling job... wow.

Agree. Internet posters cant prove or disprove who they are.

He always is. Hes made similar endorsements for Tiller in good and bad years, Hope, and Hazell.

Lets assume this is true, wow did he do a terrible selling job... wow.

I don't remember him ever saying anything that supportive about Hope in year 3 and beyond. EVER.

And what do you mean he did a terrible selling job? I haven't heard Burke say anything about us fielding a great football team. It's always been about the goal to get better....and if we win 5 or 6 games this year he will be keeping true to his word. This "overselling" that Burke has done is in your head. Again, i've never heard him guarantee bowl games since Hazell has been here. It's all about getting better and I fully believe that when we stop, a hard look will be taken at where the program stands and a change, or an extension will be made from there.

I think the thing you lack is patience. Turnarounds from where we were at the end of Hope's tenure don't happen overnight....and when you have the kind of depth issues that we had you don't turn them around in 2 years even. Yes, we fizzled at the end of 2014. Yes, 2013 was abysmal (and we were set up for failure from the get go, no matter who the coach was) but that was a team that had ABSOLUTELY NO SHOT at going to a bowl anyhow.

This year to me is about picking the right QB, if that guy isn't it....finding the right fit and getting them in a situation to win as quickly as possible and continuing to build. I think a big issue we had last year was that in games where QB X was ineffective, we were unwilling to let QB Y come If that is the case this year, we will likely end up with 3-4 wins. If we do a better job of assessing the QB and are willing to play the hot hand I think we can get to 6-7 wins no problem with only 2 super tough teams on the schedule and a lot of teams looking for answers at key offensive positions.

To me, the excuses are gone this year....1000%. The depth issues are mostly fixed (save for DE). The QBs all have had time in the program to get the offense down. The defense can build off of a decent 2014 campaign where it's biggest issue was being tired at end of games from playing 35+ minutes.

For somebody who has said before that you love moral victories, you are super down on the coach. We were HIGHLY competitive with MSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska (4 of the league's top 6 teams) which is something that Danny Hope's teams could rarely achieve. Our goal is to BEAT those teams yes, but you can't do that if you aren't competitive first. Hope was ousted because 9 out of 10 times when we played a team with a .500 or above record the game was over before half time. That we are now hanging in games longer tells me a lot about what we have and where we can go when we win more, recruit better and get over the hump that the previous staff just couldn't do.

Maybe this staff doesn't get there either, but i'm not going to let 4-20 with a poor recruiter and talent evaluators players cloud my vision about the potential this team has....and the 2 years the coaches have to get us there.

I don't remember him ever saying anything that supportive about Hope in year 3 and beyond. EVER.

I do. He was very supportive of Hope in year three. He assured the fan base multiple times that the program really was getting better, had the right leadership, and that it was a great frustration for him that we couldnt see it on game day because of ACLs. Especially when Hope was granted his extension. It was 2012 he was silent.

And what do you mean he did a terrible selling job?

Post season 2012 and preseason 2013 Burke was asked point blank does the program get better immediately or do these coaches need some time to come in and install their system? His answer was something very close to "Yes, this program can/will immediately move forward. We feel strongly we have all the right pieces and just need better leadership". Hazell made similar comments.

I obviously dont agree about the slow rebuild. Largely because of the comments above and the way the staff manages games. However, lets say youre right that everyone knew it was a long road ahead. Its not uncommon for ADs/new coaches to say 'We need a couple years to get where we really want to be. However, this years team has exciting strengths x, y, and z.' In the past its been speculated this was done to save ticket sales for that year, which tanked anyway. So now, I trust the staff and AD even less while they are in the process of trying to get guys back in the stands and asking me for donations.

I am about 30% through the preview mag, and it basically says all the same stuff it said last year. Experienced LBs, better attitutude, deeper team, etc. I can see how that could be true, but now it just sounds like same old same old.

BTW, there are depth issues at TE, CB, Safety, and DE. This team is night and day different than a couple years ago in terms of where they are deeper, but I dont see a lot to convince me they are overall deeper.

I do. He was very supportive of Hope in year three. He assured the fan base multiple times that the program really was getting better, had the right leadership, and that it was a great frustration for him that we couldnt see it on game day because of ACLs. Especially when Hope was granted his extension. It was 2012 he was silent.

Post season 2012 and preseason 2013 Burke was asked point blank does the program get better immediately or do these coaches need some time to come in and install their system? His answer was something very close to "Yes, this program can/will immediately move forward. We feel strongly we have all the right pieces and just need better leadership". Hazell made similar comments.

I obviously dont agree about the slow rebuild. Largely because of the comments above and the way the staff manages games. However, lets say youre right that everyone knew it was a long road ahead. Its not uncommon for ADs/new coaches to say 'We need a couple years to get where we really want to be. However, this years team has exciting strengths x, y, and z.' In the past its been speculated this was done to save ticket sales for that year, which tanked anyway. So now, I trust the staff and AD even less while they are in the process of trying to get guys back in the stands and asking me for donations.

I am about 30% through the preview mag, and it basically says all the same stuff it said last year. Experienced LBs, better attitutude, deeper team, etc. I can see how that could be true, but now it just sounds like same old same old.

BTW, there are depth issues at TE, CB, Safety, and DE. This team is night and day different than a couple years ago in terms of where they are deeper, but I dont see a lot to convince me they are overall deeper.

TE- We have 3 guys who are inexperienced but could shake out to be good players and 2 decent prospects coming in. We really only need 2 TEs. Losing Carvajal hurt us, but I don't think we take a step back here. Holmes only caught like 35% of the balls he was targeted on and Sinz was a great team player but a pretty poor athlete. These are not attributes that are irreplaceable.

CB- Probably the best CB tandem in the league if they play to potential. After that you've got DeWaun Hunte who played quite a bit last year. That's probably 95% of the CB snaps there between those 3 guys. Obviously there are depth issues there for 2016 and beyond, but we should be pretty good there moving forward and have some young athletes that won't play this year but are plenty capable in the future.

Safety- Depth is not the issue....experience is. Clark will be good and you have 3 other guys competing for the other spot. Have to think that at least 1 turns out to be decent and the otheres serviceable. I don't see the depth issues there.

DE- I think it will be quantity over quality here and is our only position of huge question. I think Miles will be good. I think Panfil will take a step forward. I think our depth at DT also allows Replogle to play the hands down DE position more...allowing him to get to the QB more how he likes.

Again....in the magazines....are the coaches supposed to say that we are going to suck and that this year is going to be bad and the fans just shouldn't show up? The strength of the team as a whole, especially on offense will be depth. Why not talk about it?

Also, why not stop being a whiny little bitch and enjoy?

Also, why not stop being a whiny little bitch and enjoy?

lol, jeeze dude youre such a meany. We were having a nice debate...

are the coaches supposed to say that we are going to suck and that this year is going to be bad and the fans just shouldn't show up?

You can make intelligently guarded comments as a coach or AD where you dont wreck your credibility to the fanbase. Its not hard. On the other hand, telling me I was going to watch a disciplined & physical team in 2013 and a team rallying around its new qb and improved work ethic in 2014 is all kinds of wrong.

I hear you on your reasonable position by position analysis. You could be right. I just need to see the guys from last place-ish in the conference recruiting classes on the field a little more before I think we dont have depth issues there.

and enjoy?

This is me enjoying! When they start to play well I will enjoy in a way you approve of.

We had just straight bodies depth issues in 2013 and 2014 that seem to be alleviated by strategic recruiting. Now, are those guys fits at this level....we will see if they develop....BUT...this coaching staff has come a long way in filling those voids and making the OL a strength. Having 4 capable backups will be huge for this line moving forward. The depth it gives us this year AND the development of younger players moving forward is huge.

I know you like to whine about the type of offense we ran in 2013 and while I agree the read option should have been a prominent feature, it wasn't going to go anywhere behind that abysmal line. In 2014, they started to really gel, but when your leaders are a JUCO transfer getting his first action and an undersized C, there's only so far you can go. Now, Kugler looks more and more like an OL, Hedelin is entering full beast mode, one of our good guards got supplanted but somebody you would assume would have to be better to supplant him and moved to tackle where we already had a guy who was pretty decent....AND we have 2 RBs who closer fit the style the coaches want to play. TE is a concern, but Jurasevich can't be any worse than Holmes/Sinz and you'd expect somebody from the rest (Burke, Tressell, Herdman, Hopkins) to step up and my guess is that Hopkins is the guy to do it. I'd love to see Burke fully recover and be a solid non-blocking, pass catching option for the tough yards in the short middle. I think we have the horses here, they just need to run. It's not like we are losing irreplaceable contributors at most of these spots.

The Home Run potential of Hunt/Mostert is gone but I think Knox is better and quicker than you think. He runs in the open field better than any Purdue RB i've seen and has elite acceleration to make a move and then that burst to get away from the next tackler. Ignore his stars, he'll be pretty special and i'd love to see him catch passes out of the backfield....allowing us to play he and Green in the same backfield.

Honestly, The Danny Etling transfer worried me. I think if he ever got the mental issues figured out he was our best pure QB prospect out of the Blough, Etling and Appleby group. That said, he was a HORRENDOUS ball handler in the backfield and never seemed to get in sync on simple hand off and run plays. If this kid plays at LSU and does well, I wouldn't be surprised....but I think that speaks to how bad his specific position coach is and that if he had the right mentoring and got past the mental stuff he could be pretty damned special.

Odd that you say the prior coach was a bad at talent evaluation then talk up a good deal of his recruits.

As for Burke, he may well have told you that, i have no not to believe you, i just know that during Hope's third year he was actively seeking replacements in the event that team didnt go to a bowl. He can talk about patience all he wants, but i dont necessarily buy it from him. I think the limiting factor here would be the buyout.

A decision on Hazell will be forced this offseason one way or another. He will either need a year or two extension or a termination simply due to recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT