ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we are in free fall!

destewart

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
she sure has not demonstrated that three former head coaches is a PLUS,

Actually I think there is enough talent to finish in the top half of the conference.

I'm not one to continually bash the coaching staff. I never want to see anyone lose their job and I like Coach Versyp. But something needs to change. They are so inconsistent and the turnovers are maddening.

she sure has not demonstrated that three former head coaches is a PLUS,

Everything seems mismatched, the players
and the coaches. We started following the team in the early 90’s and they were just fun to watch. We went to a lot of games with our kids and really enjoyed how competitive they were. Of course it’s time for a change and I don’t feel bad for someone who’s making $700K.

Actually I think there is enough talent to finish in the top half of the conference.

I'm not one to continually bash the coaching staff. I never want to see anyone lose their job and I like Coach Versyp. But something needs to change. They are so inconsistent and the turnovers are maddening.

So what's the "something"? It usually starts with players (who's in the starting lineup and who plays the most minutes), then the assistant coaches (we've had long-term assistants leaving in the last few years), and finally it'll be ... you know who.

I disagree that they are inconsistent. They are playing very consistent offense. It is so consistent that I can spelled it out: dribble the ball aimlessly for 25 seconds and then heave a contested shot ... if they have not already turned over by then. They run this play so consistently that I named it the Versypfense. And the result has been ... consistent.

Reactions: DavidBoiler

You're more involved in watching the games than I am. Is my idea of starting to play for next year silly? I'd start Kyle, Doumbia, Leyden, Moore, Traylor the rest of the way, Woltman would get Farquar's minutes. Diagne as a 15 minute a game backup is fine as well. This team is going nowhere, play for next season, I hope Karissa returns healthy and hope Diagne returns in a backup role, next year should be decent I would think, who knows though.

Fine to play for next year. But it’s the same coach. The offense is atrocious. Runs about a 12 second play clock (sometimes) after the dribbling. You can see the difference by watching the teams that beat us. We have decent talent. Nothing personal,
It is the coaching flat out.
Purdue will win one More maybe vs illinois. No tourney. If no nee coach I am done till they do.

You're more involved in watching the games than I am. Is my idea of starting to play for next year silly? I'd start Kyle, Doumbia, Leyden, Moore, Traylor the rest of the way, Woltman would get Farquar's minutes. Diagne as a 15 minute a game backup is fine as well. This team is going nowhere, play for next season, I hope Karissa returns healthy and hope Diagne returns in a backup role, next year should be decent I would think, who knows though.
I would have no problem with most of your suggestions. But I'm not sure Kyle is physically ready to play starter minutes. She seems to get winded pretty quickly.

Doumbia may be the best athlete on the team but she turns the ball over a lot. Maybe more time on the court would help her settle down.

I'm not sure what's up with Woltman. She barely gets any minutes and I don't think she played at all against Ohio State tonight. All I can figure is it just about has to be effort related. Whether in practice or the games or maybe both?

Diagne may just be the player on the team who has improved more than anyone during her career. Other than the Michigan game she has been pretty consistent in putting up close to double-doubles numbers every game.

I love Madison Layden, Kayana Traylor and for the most part Brooke Moore. The only thing that bothers me about Moore is her size but she seems to make up for it with quickness.

The player I sometimes wonder why she doesn't play more is Janelle Grant. I feel she is one of the top 2 or 3 shooters on the team. For a team that struggles to score a lot of time you would think a good shooter would help.

Reactions: DocRon
So what's the "something"? It usually starts with players (who's in the starting lineup and who plays the most minutes), then the assistant coaches (we've had long-term assistants leaving in the last few years), and finally it'll be ... you know who.

I disagree that they are inconsistent. They are playing very consistent offense. It is so consistent that I can spelled it out: dribble the ball aimlessly for 25 seconds and then heave a contested shot ... if they have not already turned over by then. They run this play so consistently that I named it the Versypfense. And the result has been ... consistent.
The team has only had a handful of assistant coaches leave over the last few years - no more than you would expect IMHO.

I am puzzled that you do not think they are inconsistent. Look at yesterday's box score. For 3 quarters they scored more or even or within a three points of Ohio State. But in the 2nd Q they were outscored by 13 pts and they were lucky it was not worse. For the first 5 mins of the 2nd Q they could not even get the ball to half court - sometimes could not in-bound it. They looked like a mediocre high school team playing a good college team.

And that is the story - stretches where they play decent and you get your hopes up followed by horrible awful periods where any chance of winning is dissolved. It is almost impossible to watch them with any sense of pride. I pity the athletes - it must be so discouraging.

And regarding offense, there is a lot of dribbling. But they also have set plays - mostly involving trying to get the ball in to Daigne (or Kyle). But if that is not there, then it looks like a free-style anyone who thinks they can hit one or in desperation drive to the basket.

I am disappointed in Kyle. She showed such promise (against inferior opposition) in the first few games. But that promise seems to have disappeared. Hopefully, as Russ says, it is just that she is not in good enough shape for the whole season and we will see her realize her full potential next year.

You wonder if the team is now just playing thru the schedule. It must be very discouraging to know that you will, in all probability, lose every game for the rest of the season. But maybe that is what it will take to force a dramatic change in the coaching staff.

Last edited:
The team has only had a handful of assistant coaches leave over the last few years - no more than you would expect IMHO.

I am puzzled that you do not think they are inconsistent. Look at yesterday's box score. For 3 quarters they scored more or even or within a three points of Ohio State. But in the 2nd Q they were outscored by 13 pts and they were lucky it was not worse. For the first 5 mins of the 2nd Q they could not even get the ball to half court - sometimes could not in-bound it. They looked like a mediocre high school team playing a good college team.

And that is the story - stretches where they play decent and you get you hopes up followed by horrible awful periods where any chance of winning is dissolved. It is almost impossible to watch them with any sense of pride. I pity the athletes - it must be so discouraging.

And regarding offense, there is a lot of dribbling. But they also have set plays - mostly involving trying to get the ball in to Daigne (or Kyle). But if that is not there, then it looks like a free-style anyone who thinks they can hit one or in desperation drive to the basket.

I am disappointed in Kyle. She showed such promise (against inferior opposition) in the first few games. But that promise seems to have disappeared. Hopefully, as Russ says, it is just that she is not in good enough shape for the whole season and we will see her realize her full potential next year.

You wonder if the team is now just playing thru the schedule. It must be very discouraging to know that you will, in all probability, lose every game for the rest of the season. But maybe that is what it will take to force a dramatic change in the coaching staff.
Diagne had a heckuve game yesterday, she had 23 I believe, Kyle had 8, that's great productivity from the Center spot, if she returns her and Kyle seemingly make a good Center tandem. Once again the team got nothing from Farquar, Doumbia scored 10, time for those two to flip minutes and starting/reserve roles.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT