ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the Athletic Department as a whole... OUCH.

RegionWarrior101

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2014
2-1-9
Obviously Football "pays the bills" of the athletic department. 2014 season = Last in the Big Ten

Men's Basketball, I would assume is the #2 revenue sport. 2014-2015 = 4th in the Big Ten - nice, surprising season

Women's Basketball, #3 for revenue? Top female revenue sport. 2014-2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Baseball, maybe #4 for revenue/exposure? 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wow, that is not good. So I start looking at other sports... Wish I had not.

Men's Tennis 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wrestling 2015 = 9th in the Big Ten

Women's Soccer 2014 = Last in the Big Ten

Softball 2015 = 10th in the Big Ten

Women's Tennis 2015 = 6th in the Big Ten

Volleyball 2014 = 5th in the Big Ten

Men's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 9th

Women's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 8th

Men's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 4th

Women's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 5th

Track and Golf have a lot of ground to make up.

Seriously though, is this a cause for concern? 4th place is the best finish in any team sport? Last in the Big Ten in 5 sports? I always assumed that Football was bad and saw a lot of new facilities for the other sports so I assumed they were having more success. We sacrificed spending in football to improve other things. Morgan always preaches the "big picture" of the athletic department. Well the big picture is we are not very good in much of anything. We don't really even have a "signature" sport. I guess now it would be Volleyball due to sustained success. At what point is the AD accountable for this? I know the rap on Purdue as a whole is that we are "education first" and "don't concern ourselves as much" with athletics, but this is not good. Average finish is 9th place?

I would actually say that this past season, volleyball may have grossed more revenue than WBB. I think they sold out every home match and they usually have the one big match inside Mackey where they draw 8-10k.

WBB is a definite eyesore right now and I would say more so than the football program. Up until Versyp, the women's teams competed nationally and were highly ranked most of every season. Lynn Dunn was a fantastic coach but had some issues behind closed doors that led to her dismissal BUT it led to the hiring of Carolyn Peck (after a season with Nell Fortner) who led the women's program to a national title. Now I am unaware of why Peck wasn't retained but I wonder if it was due to not getting a generous raise considering her first two years as HC she went 57-11 with a NC. That led to the hiring of Kristy Curry who didn't lose more than 13 games in a single season and made the NCAA tournament every year...she eventually left for Texas Tech. I am starting to wonder if this might be Versyp's last year as she is bringing in a top flight class (maybe she is seeing the benefit of increased budgets for her program?) but it would seem Stephanie White would be a great hire to run the program (currently the HC of the Indiana Fever).

Football will come around and unfortunately what the AD is seeing is there is little to no positive environment to sustain attendance during bad times. Television is as good or better than sitting in the stands with HD, replays, etc. and there isn't a great tailgate atmosphere currently due to restrictions and poor parking layouts. At other stadiums, massive tailgating takes place in large lots NEAR the stadium and Purdue simply doesn't have that which stunts a lot of people wanting to even attend to tailgate. The stadium isn't 'new' anymore as the renovations took place 12 years ago and desperately needs updating to major areas (South Endzone, lighting issues, sound issues, exterior issues, parking).

Last edited:
Even if you think Burke is doing a good job, you have to admit the whole AD needs a shot in the arm, and that has to start at the top with him. Give him a new ceremonial position if you want to ride him out until his retirement, but you have to bring in new fresh blood that people can get excited about because the teams right now are not doing it.

Even if you think Burke is doing a good job, you have to admit the whole AD needs a shot in the arm, and that has to start at the top with him. Give him a new ceremonial position if you want to ride him out until his retirement, but you have to bring in new fresh blood that people can get excited about because the teams right now are not doing it.

Good call... "Athletic Director Emeritus."

I know you have to get a shrewd CEO-type to run an athletic department now. But if I have to hire from within, I hire Dave Shondell. Guy was awesome at shout exciting the few people who were there to see it. If you follow him on Twitter he is always promoting Purdue Athletics, more so than the current AD. Like "Turn on Big Ten Network, our baseball team is giving ranked Illinois a game!" That would be if we went the "Barry Alvarez" or "Tom Osborne" route.

Good call... "Athletic Director Emeritus."

I know you have to get a shrewd CEO-type to run an athletic department now. But if I have to hire from within, I hire Dave Shondell. Guy was awesome at shout exciting the few people who were there to see it. If you follow him on Twitter he is always promoting Purdue Athletics, more so than the current AD. Like "Turn on Big Ten Network, our baseball team is giving ranked Illinois a game!" That would be if we went the "Barry Alvarez" or "Tom Osborne" route.
I like Dave he's done a fantastic job, but I'm tired (no offense to you) of the hey this guy loves Purdue let's hire him approach. I'd hate to lose him as coach too. Cardinal, Shondell, ect... it's time to go out and get the best person available no matter where his loyalties lie. It won't matter because their job is to be the AD and he'll have to wear it on his sleeve. Let Morgan manage the money and bring in a guy who can manage the people/marketing/business. I'm so freaking tired of the guy holding the purse strings being to afraid of opening them so he ends up wasting more money on Surveys and business than on the actual team and facilities, then they all end up saying the same thing.

[QUOTE="Now I am unaware of why Peck wasn't retained but I wonder if it was due to not getting a generous raise considering her first two years as HC she went 57-11 with a NC. "[/QUOTE]

Peck left to coach the Orlando WNBA team. I don't believe it was an issue with Purdue, but rather she viewed it as a good opportunity.

I like Dave he's done a fantastic job, but I'm tired (no offense to you) of the hey this guy loves Purdue let's hire him approach. I'd hate to lose him as coach too. Cardinal, Shondell, ect... it's time to go out and get the best person available no matter where his loyalties lie. It won't matter because their job is to be the AD and he'll have to wear it on his sleeve. Let Morgan manage the money and bring in a guy who can manage the people/marketing/business. I'm so freaking tired of the guy holding the purse strings being to afraid of opening them so he ends up wasting more money on Surveys and business than on the actual team and facilities, then they all end up saying the same thing.

I agree with all that. I just said if we HAD to hire from within, that would be the guy. I don't think we should. I hear Brian Cardinal as well, but the guy probably does not have to work any more and doubt he would not want to deal with all that. I would like an AD that shows some passion or excitement, not the Morgan Burke type (Jerry Jones) who sits in a box during games and yells and screams like I do at the TV. Someone with a vision, someone to bring some fresh ideas, someone who did not talk about a plan that is 5 years in the making. Someone who relates more with the fan. Someone who embraces solutions, not excuses.

I swear it takes Morgan longer to put a plan together than it does to actually carry out the plan.

[QUOTE="Now I am unaware of why Peck wasn't retained but I wonder if it was due to not getting a generous raise considering her first two years as HC she went 57-11 with a NC. "

Peck left to coach the Orlando WNBA team. I don't believe it was an issue with Purdue, but rather she viewed it as a good opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Peck absolutely left because Burke would not give her more money and she went to the University of Florida, not the WNBA.

No one with any sort of identifiable record of success at anything above the MAC level would want the Purdue AD job given the penny pinching President and BOT they'd have to work with! Not to defend Morgan, but the current disastrous state of Purdue Athletics is largely due to Cordova and her raiding of huge amounts of the BTN revenue out of the AD while our B1G brethren used it to step up their games, and our BOT sat there and let her do it! At least Mitch has agreed to lower the AD's internal "taxes" back to something reasonable but that's only temporary. And given Mitch's single-minded focus on containing the cost of undergrad tuition, who's to say he won't revert to Cordova's practice of using AD revenues to subsidize academics?!

No one with any sort of identifiable record of success at anything above the MAC level would want the Purdue AD job given the penny pinching President and BOT they'd have to work with! Not to defend Morgan, but the current disastrous state of Purdue Athletics is largely due to Cordova and her raiding of huge amounts of the BTN revenue out of the AD while our B1G brethren used it to step up their games, and our BOT sat there and let her do it! At least Mitch has agreed to lower the AD's internal "taxes" back to something reasonable but that's only temporary. And given Mitch's single-minded focus on containing the cost of undergrad tuition, who's to say he won't revert to Cordova's practice of using AD revenues to subsidize academics?!

I agree with this... I think Mitch Daniels likes Purdue athletics. I think he likes to cover his bald head with his Purdue cap and go to games. He is so crazy how he sits with students for that photo op in the 3rd quarter of football games with his two thumbs up!

So he likes sports and thinks sports are "important" but does he think they are important enough for a major investment? I am not so sure. He will need the Big Ten TV money for the State Street project down the road. I truly believe he would not care if we were D1 or D3. And I do think the President of a University should be academics first, but there is something to be said for "big picture" as well. Whatever Mitch wants, Mitch will get since he appointed the BoT. I just hope he wants some really good sports teams.

I agree with this... I think Mitch Daniels likes Purdue athletics. I think he likes to cover his bald head with his Purdue cap and go to games. He is so crazy how he sits with students for that photo op in the 3rd quarter of football games with his two thumbs up!

So he likes sports and thinks sports are "important" but does he think they are important enough for a major investment? I am not so sure. He will need the Big Ten TV money for the State Street project down the road. I truly believe he would not care if we were D1 or D3. And I do think the President of a University should be academics first, but there is something to be said for "big picture" as well. Whatever Mitch wants, Mitch will get since he appointed the BoT. I just hope he wants some really good sports teams.

There is simply no way. If Purdue went to D3, the student enrollment would take a major hit and the university would have a major problem operating on the current scale they are. Can anyone give me a university who is D2 or D3 that has a large student population (larger than 15k)?

Also One HAS to be concerned that neither the FB or BB programs have a commitment for 2016 at this time! While that is norm lately at Purdue it sure is a sign that we still have along way to go!

There is simply no way. If Purdue went to D3, the student enrollment would take a major hit and the university would have a major problem operating on the current scale they are. Can anyone give me a university who is D2 or D3 that has a large student population (larger than 15k)?
I think the Cal State's have big enrollments. Look at the Big Ten's view on athletics. No freshmen eligibility. Outspoken against pay for play. Didn't Delany threaten to leave D1 or something to that effect?

I can't believe that a world class leader like Mitch Daniels can't see that academics and athletics can coexist with each complimenting the other. That said, it does not appear he gives a damn about athletics. Actions speak louder than words. Somebody please explain one concrete thing that he has done to actually move Purdue ahead in sports.

You can blame Cordova all you want, but the BTN launched about a month after she became president, it's more than likely the 3 years of creating the network put the framework in place, and she just never changed it. Especially given how disconnected from Athletics as a whole she seemed to be. And then you can go on and praise Mitch all you want but he didn't agree to lower anything really. All he's doing is taking a percentage now instead and what he's not taking now is only offsetting the new unanticipated cost of living increase that the NCAA is putting in effect. I can't remember where the numbers were shown, but he's not really giving anything back to the working budget he's just not taking as much because the AD has the new costs they are incurring. And then renegotiating it from a flat fee to a flat percentage. So in the end he'll end up taking more the better the AD does. The AD did not get some new pool of money to spend on Athletics as a result of Mitch not taking as much. They are simply now able to offset the new unanticipated costs.

You can blame Cordova all you want, but the BTN launched about a month after she became president, it's more than likely the 3 years of creating the network put the framework in place, and she just never changed it. Especially given how disconnected from Athletics as a whole she seemed to be. And then you can go on and praise Mitch all you want but he didn't agree to lower anything really. All he's doing is taking a percentage now instead and what he's not taking now is only offsetting the new unanticipated cost of living increase that the NCAA is putting in effect. I can't remember where the numbers were shown, but he's not really giving anything back to the working budget he's just not taking as much because the AD has the new costs they are incurring. And then renegotiating it from a flat fee to a flat percentage. So in the end he'll end up taking more the better the AD does. The AD did not get some new pool of money to spend on Athletics as a result of Mitch not taking as much. They are simply now able to offset the new unanticipated costs.

I originally gave Mitch a chance as he was "new" but he has been in office 2 full years now. I guess there is a lot of development on campus- deals with the airport and the new State Street project with the city of WL. He is putting more housing between the dorms and campus. A standardized test has been talked about. Freezing tuition. Athletically though? We are bad in a lot of sports and I have no noticeable changes to how things are being run. A game in 2014 seems like a game in 2009.

What is the 'State Street Project'?

Ive long thought that the university (sports included), and local area would mutually benefit from becoming more connected.

Although I do agree that Mitch doesnt seem like he is putting a lot into athletics. Although, I do give him credit for giving the sprots teams more/lessening their expenses. Whatever that agreement was that came out recently. With how standoffish the university as a whole has been to sports, I take anything as significant.

Would still like to see a more intelligent financial connection between the university and athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT