ADVERTISEMENT

Lamina Cooper …

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
isn't enrolling at Purdue, the school announced today. The release below:

Purdue women’s basketball recruit Lamina Cooper will not enroll in school this fall and will not be a member of the Boilermaker program for 2015-16, citing personal reasons. Purdue head coach Sharon Versyp, the staff and members of the team are not available for comment.

Cooper tore her ACL in the state playoffs last season and was likely to miss the start of this season, if not redshirt entirely. It does not appear that she went on Purdue's trip to Italy.

She was from Lawrence Central and was a five star recruit. The train wreck that is Purdue wbb continues to struggle down the track. Two players who were highly ranked leave the program ( or never arrive) who did not even suit up for a game in Mackey Arena.

Before I pass judgement, I would like to know what the personal reasons were for never even enrolling at Purdue her first year. We can all specualte and then debate who might be right or wrong here, but it is a fruitless exercise without more information.

There are hundreds of reasons for her to change her mind. It is also possible that we have been undermined and our recruit poached by another school. Recruiting is a dirty business. We will see.

:cool:

Overall, things do not seem to be treading upwards. A not too long ago national program is just a regular BT team trying to get into the NCAA with no real expectations now . We all know this and I, for one, am stopping beating a dead horse. . The great years are over, at least for awhile. There is no getting around it. We have what we have like most programs.

She was from Lawrence Central and was a five star recruit. The train wreck that is Purdue wbb continues to struggle down the track. Two players who were highly ranked leave the program ( or never arrive) who did not even suit up for a game in Mackey Arena.

Actually she was from Lawrence North, not Lawrence Central. She tore her ACL and probably would not have played this season anyway. Whether she could ever live up to her five star billing is a serious question according to a friend who watched her play quite a bit in high school.

Oh, so you are minimizing the loss of a Top 40 recruit in the nation from a Top Ten recruiting class? Since our Maryland pipeline came to an end with the admission of the Terps to the Big Ten where do we know look for our star players. Without them our last 7-8 years would have been much less productive.

No, I am not minimizing anything, but the fact is that we have a year to replace Cooper, as she would not have played this year anyway. We all know the state of the program and how much it needs some top talent. Being negative is easy right now, but the eternal optimist in me says that I hope that the scholarship (which was not going to be of any help this year anyway due to the ACL tear) will be filled with another top recruit who will benefit the program for the four years after this one. After all, Versyp was aiming high when she recruited Cooper, even though it did not work out. Hopefully, she will continue to aim high and the next top level recruit will work out.

Reactions: mathboy
Actually she was from Lawrence North, not Lawrence Central. She tore her ACL and probably would not have played this season anyway. Whether she could ever live up to her five star billing is a serious question according to a friend who watched her play quite a bit in high school.
Well this is interesting. I have friends back in Indiana that have followed HS basketball for many years. They had cautioned me back when we recruited her that she might not be all that great a college player. I just dismissed the comments at the time, but your post reminded me of the conversation. Hum.

Again, I won't pass judgement but maybe this is not a major loss. It seems she just did not want to go to college at Purdue. Can't force it.

Well this is interesting. I have friends back in Indiana that have followed HS basketball for many years. They had cautioned me back when we recruited her that she might not be all that great a college player. I just dismissed the comments at the time, but your post reminded me of the conversation. Hum.

Again, I won't pass judgement but maybe this is not a major loss. It seems she just did not want to go to college at Purdue. Can't force it.

Oh Good! We recruited her and apparently passed on other 5 star prospects who were salivating over joining our team and thanks to an injury that could have cost her the Miss Basketball award we were saved from having her tarnish our team.

Oh Good! We recruited her and apparently passed on other 5 star prospects who were salivating over joining our team and thanks to an injury that could have cost her the Miss Basketball award we were saved from having her tarnish our team.

Just stop it. Nobody said anything about "Tarnishing" the team. I realise that you have joined the "dark side", which I find very understandable given our current level of performance. However, I would appreciate some dialog that is fact based and thoughtful.

By the way, I was not aware that there were other 5* recruits "salavating" over getting a Purdue offer. If there were, I would like to know who we passed on. ALso, I would like to know why Lamina decided not to enroll at Purdue. Did we get poached at the last minute? Is she having trouble rehabilitating her knee and decided to rest it a year? What have you heard?

She had a pretty good high school career until she hurt her knee. Could be the knee is worse than the normal ACL tear and it will take a couple years to recover. Doctors may have said "no way" to releasing her to play. Just my speculation but odd timimg again. Onward.

Just stop it. Nobody said anything about "Tarnishing" the team. I realise that you have joined the "dark side", which I find very understandable given our current level of performance. However, I would appreciate some dialog that is fact based and thoughtful.

By the way, I was not aware that there were other 5* recruits "salavating" over getting a Purdue offer. If there were, I would like to know who we passed on. ALso, I would like to know why Lamina decided not to enroll at Purdue. Did we get poached at the last minute? Is she having trouble rehabilitating her knee and decided to rest it a year? What have you heard?

The poaching would have had to occur after she signed, not just a verbal de-commit. Does she have to sit a year before she goes to another NCAA school now? This is one of those odd ones. I suspect it's knee related.

Before I pass judgement, I would like to know what the personal reasons were for never even enrolling at Purdue her first year. We can all specualte and then debate who might be right or wrong here, but it is a fruitless exercise without more information.

There are hundreds of reasons for her to change her mind. It is also possible that we have been undermined and our recruit poached by another school. Recruiting is a dirty business. We will see.

If it's poaching I think we will know pretty quickly. You're right it could be any of a number of reasons, knee, grade/transcripts related, pregnant, playing time, work-outs too much, religion, mom's cooking. Nothing surprises me any more.

Three transfer from Maryland who were starters and among the best players on our team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT