ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Brunson

Dec 15, 2012
Now I know this doesn't really matter now, and im not really one to fret about lost recruits, but can you imagine how good this team would be with Brunson? I wonder if he would have changed his mind knowing swanigan was coming here. Don't get me wrong, im stoked for this years team with who we have, but our current 2015 class with Brunson would have been ridiculous.

We wouldn't have a schollie for him. Swanigan was our last available scholarship. So it was either Swanigan or Brunson.

No, Hill wouldn't be coming.
Valid point, completely had forgotten about him. I was thinking he meant Brunson instead of Weatherford. And I wouldn't want to have passed on Weatherford. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm excited about Weatherford. Kid seems like a competitor and will work to prove he belongs. Love kids that play with chips on their shoulders. I would, of course, love to have Brunson over Hill though (no disrespect to Hill).

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Valid point, completely had forgotten about him. I was thinking he meant Brunson instead of Weatherford. And I wouldn't want to have passed on Weatherford. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm excited about Weatherford. Kid seems like a competitor and will work to prove he belongs. Love kids that play with chips on their shoulders. I would, of course, love to have Brunson over Hill though (no disrespect to Hill).

Weatherford definitely seems like the type that will be a fan favorite in a few years

Reactions: PU52Chevy
Now I know this doesn't really matter now, and im not really one to fret about lost recruits, but can you imagine how good this team would be with Brunson? I wonder if he would have changed his mind knowing swanigan was coming here. Don't get me wrong, im stoked for this years team with who we have, but our current 2015 class with Brunson would have been ridiculous.

I know I really wanted that guy. Seemed like a group of schools we could beat out in his finalists. But I think he was a Philly native.

I am so happy with who we ended up with........

CMP, the players and the staff did an awesome job.....

Now keep filling the pipeline with players like Brunk, Benson, Simpson, Cumberland, etc......many more being discovered.

Boiler Up!

Brunson is from IL. He was never going to Purdue. Did they recruit him, yes but he was never going to Purdue.

Brunson is from IL. He was never going to Purdue. Did they recruit him, yes but he was never going to Purdue.

Also, he spent a large portion of his childhood on the East coast (NJ in particular, I believe). His parents met as athletes at Temple. So he actually had a lot of east coast ties. I think that's why Illinois eventually lost out on him.

He kept Purdue in his 'Top 8' because they were one of the earliest to recruit him (sibling goes to HS with him). However, I would be interested to find out, had Swanigan previously committed, how that would have influenced his decision.

Who knows? He's highly regarded, but know one knows how he would adjust to college ball and to this team. In the end, he didn't want to be a Boiler. If he came anyway because he thought we were his best offer, he could be poison to the team.

Also, he spent a large portion of his childhood on the East coast (NJ in particular, I believe). His parents met as athletes at Temple. So he actually had a lot of east coast ties. I think that's why Illinois eventually lost out on him.
People are forgetting that Villanova is a guard's school. We got biggie because of our history with big men; for a similar reason he picked VU. It's an easy choice between a successful team like VU and a mediocre at best team like UI. Would have loved to have him but our strength in recruiting big men is our weakness in the case of recruiting PGs like Brunson.

People are forgetting that Villanova is a guard's school. We got biggie because of our history with big men; for a similar reason he picked VU. It's an easy choice between a successful team like VU and a mediocre at best team like UI. Would have loved to have him but our strength in recruiting big men is our weakness in the case of recruiting PGs like Brunson.
Guards can thrive at Purdue as well. E'twaun scored over 2000 career points at Purdue. LewJack was featured as much as you'll ever see a 5'6" guard with a poor shot be featured at the Big Ten level.

What Purdue is not is a good school for guards who either can't understand or refuse to make the proper read and correct decision within the system. Painter's system requires intelligent and unselfish guards.

Guards can thrive at Purdue as well. E'twaun scored over 2000 career points at Purdue. LewJack was featured as much as you'll ever see a 5'6" guard with a poor shot be featured at the Big Ten level.

What Purdue is not is a good school for guards who either can't understand or refuse to make the proper read and correct decision within the system. Painter's system requires intelligent and unselfish guards.
First, Lewjack was 5'9" and super talented before he came to Purdue (if you had ever watched his HS film you'd know this). Secondly, I'm not saying Purdue can't have good guards play there. I'm saying that Purdue gets talented frontcourt players because they feed the post a lot. That works against them when recruiting scoring PGs. I would loved to have had Brunson and I personally would rather have had him than Biggie because of his position. Regardless, Jay Wright and VU are well known for guard centric play, he runs a 4-guard system, and has been very successful. If you think Purdue has the same draw with guards as them, you need to take off the gold and black glasses and be more objective.

First, Lewjack was 5'9" and super talented before he came to Purdue (if you had ever watched his HS film you'd know this). Secondly, I'm not saying Purdue can't have good guards play there. I'm saying that Purdue gets talented frontcourt players because they feed the post a lot. That works against them when recruiting scoring PGs. I would loved to have had Brunson and I personally would rather have had him than Biggie because of his position. Regardless, Jay Wright and VU are well known for guard centric play, he runs a 4-guard system, and has been very successful. If you think Purdue has the same draw with guards as them, you need to take off the gold and black glasses and be more objective.
I get what you are saying, but Purdue almost never fed the post when Travis Carroll was the starting center or even when JJ was freshman.

I think that considering that Purdue was coming off of two bad seasons and a last place finish, it was a little surprising that Purdue was even a finalist for Brunson.

I do agree, however, that Purdue has a perception problem with some point guards, especially those who want to dominate the ball.

As far as LJ's height, I never thought that he was 5'9", but maybe I'm wrong. I agree that he was very talented, but Painter put him in a position to succeed.

I get what you are saying, but Purdue almost never fed the post when Travis Carroll was the starting center or even when JJ was freshman.

I think that considering that Purdue was coming off of two bad seasons and a last place finish, it was a little surprising that Purdue was even a finalist for Brunson.

I do agree, however, that Purdue has a perception problem with some point guards, especially those who want to dominate the ball.

As far as LJ's height, I never thought that he was 5'9", but maybe I'm wrong. I agree that he was very talented, but Painter put him in a position to succeed.

I agree with this. I think the whole "feed the post" reputation is simply a reflection of the talent we have in the front court right now. Our best offensive players are our C and PF. If our best offensive players were in the backcourt, then our style of play would likely be different.

LJ was a scoring PG. He was on a team full of very good scorers. MP should not waste time recruiting a PG who thinks he should be the team's top scorer -- especially for THIS team.

BTW, Ronnie Johnson considered himself a scoring PG.

apparently Brunson thinks Biggie was "stupid" for committing to Purdue...clearly lacks awareness of how good this team can be (and, that this program is capable of getting players to the NBA). This needs to be the year Purdue makes significant noise in the tourney and shows recruits that deep postseason success is very possible at Purdue.

Oh old Brunson thinks my man BIGGIE is stupid for going to Purdue does he? Well I think BRUNSON is stupid for going to Villanova! Rock On BIGGIE BOILER!

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I predict Brunson will have a decent college career and in a couple of years there will be at least two threads asking why Painter didn't do more to get him!!!

apparently Brunson thinks Biggie was "stupid" for committing to Purdue...clearly lacks awareness of how good this team can be (and, that this program is capable of getting players to the NBA). This needs to be the year Purdue makes significant noise in the tourney and shows recruits that deep postseason success is very possible at Purdue.
Show your work

Villy has underachieved a hell of a lot more than us in the tournament under Jay W.

Agree. I doubt he would call another kid out like that. Especially going to nova, the biggest tourney choke artists of all time. Except maybe Georgetown

Feel free to doubt. I wouldnt come on here and post false info. He thinks CS should've gone to MSU; I'm sure many feel similarly. Wasn't "calling Biggie out." He was asked what he thought, and he gave his opinion - an opinion I disagree with.

Last edited:
Feel free to doubt. I wouldnt come on here and post false info. He thinks CS should've gone to MSU; I'm sure many feel similarly. Wasn't "calling Biggie out." He was asked what he thought, and he gave his opinion - an opinion I disagree with.
Which is why I said show your work. Unless you have documentation of this, it is hearsay and absolutely unreliable. Nobody here has credentials; we don't just take your word for it.

Which is why I said show your work. Unless you have documentation of this, it is hearsay and absolutely unreliable. Nobody here has credentials; we don't just take your word for it.
You said: "it is hearsay"...hmmm...you're sounding an awful lot like a Lawyer! You should've just shouted: OBJECTION! Does anybody really care what Brunson said? Having chosen a place like Villanova himself, he has no reason to be criticizing anyone else's school choice. Screw you Brunson. Boiler up! KEEP ON ROCKIN' BIGGIE!

ADVERTISEMENT