ADVERTISEMENT

J. Taylor........................

PU52Chevy

All-American
Jul 18, 2006
He is my favorite player on the team.

Watching him last year develop as much as he could with his injury, practicing hard, pushing AJ, Haas and Edwards in practice.....most of all the spirit he showed cheering on his teammates.

Every picture you see him in he is wearing Purdue stuff, smiling, goofing around with his teammates and is proud to be a Boilermaker!

Every action he does, his tweets, his instagram posts....all of it Purdue positive and about how he is going to help Purdue win and excited to get back out and play.

He is going to have a great year practicing against Biggie and with those two and a little fill in from Edwards at the 4 spot depending on matchups, our 4 spot is so solid in any line-up MP puts out there.

J. Taylor's future is so bright for this year, but next year with Hammons moving on to NBA and Taylor returning with basically two years under his belt, he will be poised to get big minutes.

I am excited to see him progress during his 4 years at Purdue...I think we will all be thankful he chose Purdue.

Boiler Up!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
A lot of people forget that prior to his injury in high school, he was tabbed as being a top 10 prospect on the east coast (some one refresh my memory if that is wrong). He wasn't able to play in his junior year AAU and was STILL getting back to normal during the spring of his senior year for AAU. Having the two years to play against AJ, Haas, Edwards, and Swanigan will serve him well.

Maybe some one can answer this question for me since it just popped in my head. If Taylor is awarded a medical shirt for last season, could he conceivably red shirt this season and then still have 4 more years to play?

Maybe some one can answer this question for me since it just popped in my head. If Taylor is awarded a medical shirt for last season, could he conceivably red shirt this season and then still have 4 more years to play?

No

No. You get five years to play four. Under extraordinary circumstances the NCAA has granted a sixth year for students in cases of injury during college, but that does not happen very often.

No. You get five years to play four. Under extraordinary circumstances the NCAA has granted a sixth year for students in cases of injury during college, but that does not happen very often.

Correct. You have to miss substantial portions of 2 seasons due to circumstances beyond your control (illness/injury) to qualify for a hardship waiver.

I would think that VE will play more minutes at 4 than JT. I dont see JT getting many minutes this year unless there is an injury or a game with extreme foul trouble at the 5.

I would think that VE will play more minutes at 4 than JT. I dont see JT getting many minutes this year unless there is an injury or a game with extreme foul trouble at the 5.

Agreed, unless something goes very badly/unplanned.

And it's ok - I am excited to see Taylor develop, but he has four years ahead of him most likely. This year he's probably not going to see much time and that's fine. There's going to be a lot of players on this team that don't get the minutes that they probably deserve - whether Swanigan came or not.

I seem to remember Jess Settles having an extraordinary 8 year career with the Hawkeyes. :D

Chris Reid all over again.
Yep just like "The Big Easy' Chris Reid.......J. Taylor is invaluable to this team.

The Big Easy helped JJ be the player he is today and was a solid glue guy for the teams he was on...ask any of the players.

J. Taylor will be the same on helping Hammons, Haas, Biggie and Edwards work on their game, but the difference is J. Taylor has skillz himself and will see more playing time.

Remember not everyone has to be an All-star or a 5 star to be your most valuable player......

Basketball is a team game and J. Taylor is an important part of the team.
*Note: They all are important is my point.

Not a man crush, but I do feel he is the diamond in the rough and will prove out well and us fans will love his dedication and pride of being a Boiler!

He just needs to be patient and maximize his efforts and time when in the game and be ready.

Boiler Up!

Yep just like "The Big Easy' Chris Reid.......J. Taylor is invaluable to this team.

The Big Easy helped JJ be the player he is today and was a solid glue guy for the teams he was on...ask any of the players.

J. Taylor will be the same on helping Hammons, Haas, Biggie and Edwards work on their game, but the difference is J. Taylor has skillz himself and will see more playing time.

Remember not everyone has to be an All-star or a 5 star to be your most valuable player......

Basketball is a team game and J. Taylor is an important part of the team.
*Note: They all are important is my point.

Not a man crush, but I do feel he is the diamond in the rough and will prove out well and us fans will love his dedication and pride of being a Boiler!

He just needs to be patient and maximize his efforts and time when in the game and be ready.

Boiler Up!
My favorite Chris Reid story was when some fans were giving Rob Hummel the business and knowing that Hummel was intricate to the team and he wasn't, Chris asked them if they wanted to step outside. He may not have been a great basketball player, but at 6.8 and like 240 he was one big dude. I heard those fans decided that they best shut their pie holes.

My favorite Chris Reid story occurred when Purdue was having one of their preseason-pregame autograph sessions for the basketball team in the outer concourse. Chris was with J.J. and somebody else I can't recall, but there was some lady with a clipboard rushing them along. Chris kept telling her "OK, in a minute." He then told J.J. "We'll go in when we are done signing the rest of kid's stuff, it's not like they are going to start without us."

They took a few extra minutes and finished up.

Class act...

Well that and his "Mr. America" outfit...lol!

Wow, I wouldn't expect anything but lean from him..........but didn't think 240 was even plausible this early. Kid wants to prove some of the naysayers wrong. I'll be rooting for him. Keep working hard JT!!!!

I liked what I saw in the small sample size. Good rebounder with a little more size and dribbling work kid could suprise

We will play Taylor and Smotherman. The problem lies with Cline, Stephens, and Mathias there won't be enough minutes for all of them.

Yep, he was bigger than JJ last year. All the people on here doubting him are going to be pleasantly surprised this year. I'm most excited about him.

I'm certainly not doubting him, but there aren't a lot of minutes up for grabs barring any injuries/unexpected situations. He will have to really show his hand quickly if he wants to remain in the rotation. We could easily play 10 guys, but we won't. And given that he's essentially going to be a freshman, there isn't some major rush unless he brings more than some other players - the tough part is, the "other players" are Hammons, Haas, Swanigan and Edwards.

I'm certainly not doubting him, but there aren't a lot of minutes up for grabs barring any injuries/unexpected situations. He will have to really show his hand quickly if he wants to remain in the rotation. We could easily play 10 guys, but we won't. And given that he's essentially going to be a freshman, there isn't some major rush unless he brings more than some other players - the tough part is, the "other players" are Hammons, Haas, Swanigan and Edwards.
Agreed, he won't see many minutes this year unless there is a big surprise. Next year, however, he could be our primary backup at the 5 and I would be OK with that.

This is correct, but if JT's shins continue to plague him this year and he doesn't play in very many games, and only in the early part of the season, he could conceivably request a hardship redshirt thus still giving him 4 years of eligibility. This doesn't happen very often, but it does once in awhile with several example in the B1g over the last 15 years.

I think JT's in a good situation. There's zero pressure on him to rise up & be the star big on the team right now. Instead, (assuming he still needs to) he can focus most on getting his body's problem areas to be resilient against the pounding of D1 basketball. If he needs to continue to do that gradually, then he can. And once his body agrees, I agree with others that JT is a high-potential guy, and I can't wait to see what he can do, unrestrained by recurring injuries. Maybe this year is when it will happen, and maybe not. We already appreciate the team player he seems to be.

I think JT's in a good situation. There's zero pressure on him to rise up & be the star big on the team right now. Instead, (assuming he still needs to) he can focus most on getting his body's problem areas to be resilient against the pounding of D1 basketball. If he needs to continue to do that gradually, then he can. And once his body agrees, I agree with others that JT is a high-potential guy, and I can't wait to see what he can do, unrestrained by recurring injuries. Maybe this year is when it will happen, and maybe not. We already appreciate the team player he seems to be.

.....and let's not forget that according Stephens, next to Edwards, JT is one of the most versatile players on the team.

I truly think Taylor's minutes will fluctuate a lot depending on matchups. There could be games he plays 10-15 as a backup PF, and there will be games he barely plays at all. A smart coach knows how to use a guy like Taylor in certain situations against certain teams, and other times it will benefit us to play smaller with Edwards and Basil (when Swanigan is not in. I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. LOVE Taylor's potential!

I truly think Taylor's minutes will fluctuate a lot depending on matchups. There could be games he plays 10-15 as a backup PF, and there will be games he barely plays at all. A smart coach knows how to use a guy like Taylor in certain situations against certain teams, and other times it will benefit us to play smaller with Edwards and Basil (when Swanigan is not in. I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. LOVE Taylor's potential!
When B1G season rolls around and the rotation shrinks to about 9 you will see that JT's minutes go away. Once AJH is gone next year, he will have the opportunity to contribute more.

This is correct, but if JT's shins continue to plague him this year and he doesn't play in very many games, and only in the early part of the season, he could conceivably request a hardship redshirt thus still giving him 4 years of eligibility. This doesn't happen very often, but it does once in awhile with several example in the B1g over the last 15 years.

Well it is a possibility but highly unlikely. I think it also would not be possible until after his senior season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT