ADVERTISEMENT

IU 74-59

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Just checked the score as the mens game went to half, why in the hell is Diagne playing 30 minutes to Kyle's 10? The season is over, let Kyle play and get experience for next season. Also, Farguar plays 30 minutes, Woltman for a 5 star must be pretty bad for this to be happening, Tamara plays hard, however, it says a lot when girls like Doumbia and Woltman don't play any minutes. I'm sorry, I'm playing Soph's over a 24 year old that's career ends in probably 1 game.

Ugly. 12th in Big Ten?
Des, pathetic, Coach has to go. If I'm the AD I'm wondering how the hell are Sr's playing 35 and 30 minutes while 2-5 stars Woltman, and Kyle, and a 4 star Doumbia play a combined 10 minutes? Look, I get that Woltman doesn't look very good, however, give her these last few games some minutes and see if anything is there, same with Doumbia who is talented, Kyle, her minutes are ridiculous, play her!

Des, pathetic, Coach has to go. If I'm the AD I'm wondering how the hell are Sr's playing 35 and 30 minutes while 2-5 stars Woltman, and Kyle, and a 4 star Doumbia play a combined 10 minutes? Look, I get that Woltman doesn't look very good, however, give her these last few games some minutes and see if anything is there, same with Doumbia who is talented, Kyle, her minutes are ridiculous, play her!

It took 30 plus years and a bunch of coaches, but IU has flipped the script in wbb in the state.

It took 30 plus years and a bunch of coaches, but IU has flipped the script in wbb in the state.
With a lot of help from the Purdue AD's. I do not understand in holding on to coach this long for producing so little. Just because she played here in the 1980's? If Matt Painter had the same record of decline, he would not have lasted 5 years.

Hopefully, SV will be let go later this month.

With a lot of help from the Purdue AD's. I do not understand in holding on to coach this long for producing so little. Just because she played here in the 1980's? If Matt Painter had the same record of decline, he would not have lasted 5 years.

Just one AD is responsible for the coaching dilemma.

Doumbia was not able to play due to COVID contact isolation. And I am not sure Kyle could play close to a full game - she has conditioning issues.

Reactions: jindy and Russ Ford
I'm sure Coach Versyp and her staff know they are on the hot seat. If you are in that position who else are you going to play? You play the ones that you think give you the best chance to win. I don't think you are near as worried about player development as you are just trying to win now.

Doumbia was not able to play due to COVID contact isolation. And I am not sure Kyle could play close to a full game - she has conditioning issues.
Thanks for the info...strange on Kyle having conditioning issues, hope health wise she's ok? Last year in High School she probably was playing 25 minutes per game, 10 minutes is really low. Also, I'm not throwing putdowns on Diagne and Farquar, they both despite limitations are decent players, I actually hope Diagne comes back 1 more year, in a backup role/split minutes role with Kyle, if Kyle improves like she should a 20/20 minute split works. I'm not one to wish anyone out of the program, however, it's apparent some aren't Big Ten players and if they want to play at the D-1 level they should take advantage of this offseason's transfer rules.

Reactions: DocRon

I was hoping for her to be let go last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Talk about being able to run a once proud program into the dirt.

Compounding previous mistakes. Should have done it two years again when I first recommended Megan Duffy and she was at Miami and making $250,000.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Purdue will probably be done weds. Bo is wise to say nothing till the season is over. After that we should know soon. If he retains her, it is a clear sign that WBB is of no real concern. If Versyp is wise, she will graciously resign and get all the accolades that will happen because she was a star here, has won the most games, etc etc. Better than getting fired. The wise AD may offer that option.

Reactions: Purdue80 and TMA62
Since there’s been no information (that I know of) that Coach Versyp’s contract is being extended beyond the 2021-2022 season, one would have to assume her time at Purdue is coming to an end as contracts are not usually allowed to go down to the “last minute” before an extension is given, so as to signal stability in the program to potential recruits.

So....I have no idea what the current recruiting situation is, but I’m guessing the coaching staff is not able to give any assurances at this point, which is not likely helpful to landing good recruits.

The whole situation seems unstable and iffy and uncomfortable. As someone said above, they have to know they are on the hot seat. Guess the best scenario is she announces retirement at season’s end, preserving some dignity. Surely (!) there’s no plan to announce she will retire - next year - at the end of her contract?? Surely....

Since there’s been no information (that I know of) that Coach Versyp’s contract is being extended beyond the 2021-2022 season, one would have to assume her time at Purdue is coming to an end as contracts are not usually allowed to go down to the “last minute” before an extension is given, so as to signal stability in the program to potential recruits.

So....I have no idea what the current recruiting situation is, but I’m guessing the coaching staff is not able to give any assurances at this point, which is not likely helpful to landing good recruits.

The whole situation seems unstable and iffy and uncomfortable. As someone said above, they have to know they are on the hot seat. Guess the best scenario is she announces retirement at season’s end, preserving some dignity. Surely (!) there’s no plan to announce she will retire - next year - at the end of her contract?? Surely....

We survived the Lynn Dunn fiasco and came out better for the changes that were made, so there is nothing to presume we cannot do it again. Success comes in cans, not cants! :)

I'm sure Coach Versyp and her staff know they are on the hot seat. If you are in that position who else are you going to play? You play the ones that you think give you the best chance to win. I don't think you are near as worried about player development as you are just trying to win now.
I suppose, sucks to recruit two 5 stars and have one not play and the other play 10 minutes, if it's me I at least give them more minutes at the expense of 23-24 yr old 5th yr players. Like I said, I'm not cutting down those two, just don't see the upside in playing them so many minutes. It's different if they were winning, the team is a disaster right now.

Well obviously one of those two is not and never was a "5 Star". I mean it's been 2 years and she has barely got off the bench. When she has her contributions have been minimal. Just another example of why recruiting rankings are meaningless.

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
Well obviously one of those two is not and never was a "5 Star". I mean it's been 2 years and she has barely got off the bench. When she has her contributions have been minimal. Just another example of why recruiting rankings are meaningless.
The teams with the most 5 stars especially in the women's games usually cut down the nets at the end of the year. I agree it looks like they missed on Woltman, however, it might be the worst miss ever, she doesn't even play on a bad team, that's odd.

OR - perhaps it tells us something about the coaching staff and their (in)ability to develop talent or utilize it effectively.

Reactions: Purdue80
I kn
OR - perhaps it tells us something about the coaching staff and their (in)ability to develop talent or utilize it effectively.
I know most on this board are totally negative about the current coaching staff. But I would submit that for every Rickie Woltman, there is a Fatou Diagne. Who went from the end of the bench to a player who regularly put up doubles-doubles this year. Or a Kayana Traylor who has improved her numbers every year to being border line All Big Ten this year.

Granted there are also players who have seemed to regress. Like maybe a Tamara Farquhar but was that coaching or just never fully recovering from a devastating injury.

All that being said, I agree with most that something needs to change. Purdue should never be at bottom of the conference. But I also see that there is a lot of very nice players on this team and coming in next year. Most who have read any of my posts know I'm very high on Madison Layden & Ra Shaya Kyle. I'm also very excited about Jayla Smith who arrives next season. With Kayana Traylor and hopefully a fully healthy Karissa McLaughlin this team has the potential to turn things around quickly.

I just hope that whatever decision that is made.....Coach Versyp staying or leaving....it's made quickly and the team is not left in limbo while a decision is debated.

Thanks for the info...strange on Kyle having conditioning issues, hope health wise she's ok? Last year in High School she probably was playing 25 minutes per game, 10 minutes is really low. Also, I'm not throwing putdowns on Diagne and Farquar, they both despite limitations are decent players, I actually hope Diagne comes back 1 more year, in a backup role/split minutes role with Kyle, if Kyle improves like she should a 20/20 minute split works. I'm not one to wish anyone out of the program, however, it's apparent some aren't Big Ten players and if they want to play at the D-1 level they should take advantage of this offseason's transfer rules.
Yes, about it being strange Kyle plays as little as she does compared to HS. And it my guess that a lot of it is conditioning. After a few minutes she really seems to show signs of fatigue. But like always, I could be wrong.

I kn

I know most on this board are totally negative about the current coaching staff. But I would submit that for every Rickie Woltman, there is a Fatou Diagne. Who went from the end of the bench to a player who regularly put up doubles-doubles this year. Or a Kayana Traylor who has improved her numbers every year to being border line All Big Ten this year.

Granted there are also players who have seemed to regress. Like maybe a Tamara Farquhar but was that coaching or just never fully recovering from a devastating injury.

All that being said, I agree with most that something needs to change. Purdue should never be at bottom of the conference. But I also see that there is a lot of very nice players on this team and coming in next year. Most who have read any of my posts know I'm very high on Madison Layden & Ra Shaya Kyle. I'm also very excited about Jayla Smith who arrives next season. With Kayana Traylor and hopefully a fully healthy Karissa McLaughlin this team has the potential to turn things around quickly.

I just hope that whatever decision that is made.....Coach Versyp staying or leaving....it's made quickly and the team is not left in limbo while a decision is debated.
You bring valuable insight to this board, I appreciate it!

I kn

Good post Russ. i agree this team needs new leadership but there are some things about which to be positive. And I will support this team regardless.

I kn

I'm with you. I see some potential in our younger players. I don't think this has to be a long-term thing to recover from this.

I agree. I truly think the right coach can put us in the top half of the BT by next year if we change coaches and keep our key players and recruits. Would be glad to see Fautu return for some key minutes and McClaughlin too. Not sure about Farquar. She seemed to bottom out and that may be a situation where a new coach can get her back on track. For a while she was playing at a very high level. Hopeful.

WBB is weird. Illinois beat Wisconsin in first round and Badgers missed all 18 shots in the first quarter. Illinois got to play NW this aft and were down 38-8 at the half. Lower level wbb leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I agree. I truly think the right coach can put us in the top half of the BT by next year if we change coaches and keep our key players and recruits. Would be glad to see Fautu return for some key minutes and McClaughlin too. Not sure about Farquar. She seemed to bottom out and that may be a situation where a new coach can get her back on track. For a while she was playing at a very high level. Hopeful.
Farquar is 24 years old, with her I have no problem with her returning, however, only spot minutes, it's time to move the line with some of these girls. I'm with you on Diagne, woukd like to see Kyle and her split a 20/20 minutes next year, Kyle needs to get her minutes bumped granted she works on things, possibly conditioning. Next year a lineup of Kyle, Madison, Traylor, Moore, Karissa doesn't seem bad on paper.

With Doumbia and a few of the new players. A new coach who can develop
There players might make a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT