ADVERTISEMENT

Is Swanigan a One-And-Done?

bitey_mouse

All-American
Jan 19, 2006
Was discussing this w/ a buddy today. Easy answer is we'll know after the season starts and we see how good he is, and of course, Painter sits down w/ all the players at the seasons-end to discuss their future potential as well as NBA draft potential.

But maybe I should rephrase the question to "Does Swanigan expect to be a one-and-done player"? I heard a lot about him being a one-and-done when he was committing to the Spartans, as well as when Kentucky was hot on his trail..... but I have not heard the phrase ONCE since he committed to Purdue.

Was discussing this w/ a buddy today. Easy answer is we'll know after the season starts and we see how good he is, and of course, Painter sits down w/ all the players at the seasons-end to discuss their future potential as well as NBA draft potential.

But maybe I should rephrase the question to "Does Swanigan expect to be a one-and-done player"? I heard a lot about him being a one-and-done when he was committing to the Spartans, as well as when Kentucky was hot on his trail..... but I have not heard the phrase ONCE since he committed to Purdue.
I don't think anyone knows. But he sure will have a nice stage to show his wares.

Not from what I've seen, but that could change during the course of the season. I'd be surprised though. Here's to hoping he isn't, whether he thinks he is or not, because one year of his services is not enough (see IU ).

He came out a year earlier than his initial plan so I would think at least two. Pretty sure part of the plan is a degree eventually which is easier if you have at least two years on campus.

Reactions: woggy718
Depends on how well he does this season [off hand, I'd say no]. Remember, even for a player of his caliber & potential, at this level, with the talent already on this team, He' still a Frosh. If [& I doubt this comes to pass] he were to be, clearly the best player on the team, at season's end, better than AJH, is injury free and usually dominates games/his opponent, he could be a lottery pick after 1 yr. There are a lot of ifs in the previous words, & little proof to go on at this point, at this level. If all goes well/his way, he could be a 2 & done lottery pick in a couple seasons from now. We shall see. If at the end of this [or any time during] season, he's better than a healthy Hammons, I'd be pleasantly surprised & want him to do what's best for him going forward. I say Hammons will be team & B1G Player of the Year. If Swanigan out plays Hammons, more power to him and his new NBA home, he'll have deserved every bit of it, & more.

Go Boilers!!!

I would imagine a player rated 8-23 nationally would think he expects to be. Let's hope he is that good and is still a player that adds to the team ability overall.

Last edited:
Right NOW, he's got work to do to be as good as Haas, let alone Hammons. He's good, but he'll have to work his but off to be where he, the team & Purdue wants him to be, by season's end. Let's see how he fares in practice first. I hope he's spending plenty of time in the weight/conditioning room at Purdue & off campus. I'm quite sure he has high goals and aspirations, there's surely plenty of hard work & practice to do before any of his major goals are reached. Let's not grant him Jordan status quite yet. I'd be surprised if he were the best player on the team by season's end, let alone a "1 & done" player. If he's better than AJH this season, I'd like to see it, before I grant him as such. Lots of hard work, long practices & endless weight/conditioning room hours to be spent before he's a "1 & done" guy. It would be interesting to see the Purdue practices though.

Go Boilers!!!

Reactions: WarBoiler44
I think that a big draw to Purdue was the desire for Biggie to be able to display all aspects of his game, and that might be on better display for two years(or more) vs one.

My opinion is that he stays 2 for sure, and based on what I saw on numerous videos its possible that he could stay a third

My guess is 2 minimum, 3 max. Purdue is the best fit for him. Will start from day one which may not have been the case at KY or MSU. More exposure at Purdue and more opportunity to develop and showcase his skills. Rosie has done an excellent job so far and I'll bet they already have a plan in place for the next couple of years.

CS will be here for 3 years.

Matt will bring him along slowly. He will learn a lot in practices. Can you imagine:

AJ, Edwards, Davis, DM, and Hill

vs

Hass, CS, Smotherman, Stephens and PJ? We can charge to watch scrimmages.

The key will be having all plus Taylor playing two positions - except Haas and the PG's. Imagine when we change lineups and go from big to huge. We have the manpower to go physical man to man all over the court with a good transition game. Our fast break can be to line up 3's and can you imagine our big men hitting the boards and in transition the D not having good box out skills?

Good job Matt!

He came out a year earlier than his initial plan so I would think at least two. Pretty sure part of the plan is a degree eventually which is easier if you have at least two years on campus.

Yeah, Heller, what's the story on that? He came out a year earlier than planned? So he graduated in three years? How old is this kid? Is that why he was a Spring-late-signee? I wasn't aware of this backstory.

Well, let's be honest. A little while back, I posted a poll done to college athletes that asked them their pro potential. Something like 50% of college basketball players expected to go pro, which obviously is incredibly inflated from reality.

Of course Swanigan WANTS to be a one-and-done player. Anyone playing at that level expects it. However, there's so many factors that go into things. How good will he really be as a freshman? We've seen stud freshmen come into college and not do that great their freshman year. How good will the next year's Purdue team be? In this case, you're looking at a center still being in place, so if he's not trying to play center - that's a plus. If Purdue struggled and had an average season last year, I'm not sure if Hammons would have come back. Outlook matters.

Yeah, Heller, what's the story on that? He came out a year earlier than planned? So he graduated in three years? How old is this kid? Is that why he was a Spring-late-signee? I wasn't aware of this backstory.

I know this has been touched on, but the internet really distorted reality on a lot of things. Obviously one is Barnes - when you hear "guardian" with a kid being recruited, it's typically not portrayed in a positive light. Barnes was practically his parent and had been so well before he was a stud recruit. Another is how long his recruiting went on. He did reclassify, so he's younger and really started off a bit later probably than most seniors. Third, he typically did not make a big spectacle of things. People refer to the recruitment as dramatic. His tweets for example barely touch on basketball.

That being said, I see where some negative vibes come from. I thought it was a bit odd that Barnes did all the talking yesterday. It's great to hear "he wants to win a national championship"....but it'd be better to hear it from his own lips, not a sports agent who knows lip service. Those kinda things are a bit different, but again, his parent is a sports agent that is used to representing people so who knows.

I hope he fits in well at Purdue.

My guess is 2 minimum, 3 max. Purdue is the best fit for him. Will start from day one which may not have been the case at KY or MSU. More exposure at Purdue and more opportunity to develop and showcase his skills. Rosie has done an excellent job so far and I'll bet they already have a plan in place for the next couple of years.
Exactly this.......I see 2 min max 3....................

I think he will be good but probably not one and done. Edwards will get a lot of minutes wherever he plays. I could see them splitting the PF time though. Davis will get plenty at SF. Unless he dominates I think he stays more than one. He has competition at his position. He (probably) isn't a finished product yet anyway. Takes time. We'll see.

Likely not one and done. His measurables will keep him from being highly sought after unless he just dominates this year, which seems unlikely.

Hopefully, he's a one and done. Most likely, that would mean he performed extremely well, which would most likely mean an already damn good Purdue team with at least, sweet sixteen aspirations would exceed those and be a dominant, final four caliber team. If he propels us to THAT next level, and leaves for college; thank you for your services, hope all is well in the NBA, and for the rest of the future burger boys, look at what PU and Painter can do for you.

Uh, okay... So what's his vertical then?

Probably low. But I'm thinking more of a 6'8 255 lb post player. Sullinger had similar measurables (maybe a tad taller) and dominated the 2 years he played and ended up the 21st pick. I just wonder if being a 6'8 post player without elite length, athleticism and height will allow him to be drafted this year. Like I mentioned before, he would have to dominate for that to happen.

Probably low. But I'm thinking more of a 6'8 255 lb post player. Sullinger had similar measurables (maybe a tad taller) and dominated the 2 years he played and ended up the 21st pick. I just wonder if being a 6'8 post player without elite length, athleticism and height will allow him to be drafted this year. Like I mentioned before, he would have to dominate for that to happen.

The video of him is mixed on his vertical. He really doesn't seem to elevate to get rebounds, instead using his body to clear out, which will require more skill/effort against D1 talent vs High School. On the flip side, I've seen a couple of impressive dunks where he gets up pretty well after 1-2 steps - nice strong finishes instead of a weak layup. With some CMP conditioning, trading some body fat for muscle, I think he'll improve dramatically and be a dominant rebounder and finisher.

Seems a little awkward that the young man hasn't even officially enrolled, and we are talking about him leaving already (whether after one or two years)......but that's the state of things today.

Jared Sullinger is not a bad comparison, physically and as to the type of game; however, Sullinger's draft status maybe isn't the best forecaster. Recall, his stock probably went down after his second year. I think he ended up staying the extra year because of the labor unrest/issues and possible lock-out, not because of his projected game. I haven't been able to see Caleb Swanigan play in person, but another player he reminds me of in flashes is Corliss Williamson, back from Arkansas' squad in the early 90's. Purdue would do well if he approaches anything like those two. Hard to predict the draft, especially with the influx of foreign players.

Just looking forward to CS suiting up for the Old Gold & Black and joining what looks to be a promising team regardless of how long he plays as a Boilermaker.

Seems a little awkward that the young man hasn't even officially enrolled, and we are talking about him leaving already (whether after one or two years)......but that's the state of things today.

Jared Sullinger is not a bad comparison, physically and as to the type of game; however, Sullinger's draft status maybe isn't the best forecaster. Recall, his stock probably went down after his second year. I think he ended up staying the extra year because of the labor unrest/issues and possible lock-out, not because of his projected game. I haven't been able to see Caleb Swanigan play in person, but another player he reminds me of in flashes is Corliss Williamson, back from Arkansas' squad in the early 90's. Purdue would do well if he approaches anything like those two. Hard to predict the draft, especially with the influx of foreign players.

Just looking forward to CS suiting up for the Old Gold & Black and joining what looks to be a promising team regardless of how long he plays as a Boilermaker.
Paul Biancardi on ESPN says Caleb reminds him of Zach Randolph. Take it for what's it's worth though since he went on that he couldn't believe we beat out the teams we did for Caleb.

Draymond Green seems to be finding a pretty good niche in the NBA being an undersized center who can play away from the basket a bit. Caleb really remind me of Green and if he can play like him, that will serve Purdue basketball very well this year (at least).

Reactions: Bill4411
Draymond Green seems to be finding a pretty good niche in the NBA being an undersized center who can play away from the basket a bit. Caleb really remind me of Green and if he can play like him, that will serve Purdue basketball very well this year (at least).

Green also just made NBA's All-defensive first team (all five were from the West); not too shabby. He's one of the reasons the Golden State Warriors are right there for the NBA title this year.....along with Curry of course.

If you can play physical, tough defense and rebound......there will be a place in the NBA. An offensive game takes you to another level. That's where Green is getting. JMO

As an aside, I can't recall a time where the All-Defensive team was so one-sided for one conference (8 of 10 from the West, including the entire first team), but probably has happened. In the 80's, it was the East known for the defense.

I like the Zac Randolph comparison a lot of people made early to Caleb. Another one is David Lee. Strong rebounder, ability to hit the mid-range shot.

Swanigan is alot smaller than Sully was. Caleb only measured slightly under 6'7 in socks. Completely different player than Draymond Green. Not even close to comparable to Green in college on the perimeter, 3 point shooting, passing, etc. . That said, by the time Green was a senior his body had underwent massive changes which really helped his game. Caleb certainly has a great opportunity, but I can't see him not close to the basket or defending on the perimeter.

Swanigan is alot smaller than Sully was. Caleb only measured slightly under 6'7 in socks. Completely different player than Draymond Green. Not even close to comparable to Green in college on the perimeter, 3 point shooting, passing, etc. . That said, by the time Green was a senior his body had underwent massive changes which really helped his game. Caleb certainly has a great opportunity, but I can't see him not close to the basket or defending on the perimeter.

Steph Curry is a lot smaller than Sullinger. Chris Paul is. I wouldn't say Swanigan is a lot smaller than Sullinger. Sullinger was 6'7 in socks going into his freshman year. Not sure if he grew at all, I know draftexpress had him around 6'9 in shoes, with Swanigan around 6'8 - 6'9 in shoes. Sullinger was around 250, Swanigan is around 250. Both players are pretty damn comparable in regards to their physique going into college.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Caleb is a good shooter but not a pro level shooter, which to me is going to be what he will need to improve to go pro early. I think his passing is probably about as good for a big man as I can remember at the high school level and better than what I remember Draymond showing as a freshman at MSU. Caleb is a good ball handler and probably will be like Green-- get even better as time goes by. I really think Draymond is who Biggie reminds me most of as Randolph is more of a scorer/shooter than he will ever be. If Biggie gets his outside shoot to fall at a high rate then I could see him being a one and done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT