ADVERTISEMENT

Is Painter getting a pass?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Are we giving Painter a pass.....a lot of posts below say 2-3 in the B1G. Why shouldn't Painter produce a B1G championship?
1. He returns 2 players who are SENIORS who were on the B1G all D team.
2. He has the shooters to open up things on the outside?
3. He has unquestionably the best front line in the B1G.
4. He finally has a top 40 player that most believe can give us scoring when things break down.
5. Players we have seen in Edwards, Mathias, Davis, and Hammons are very smart basketball players who are team oriented.
6. Deepest team in the B1G with lots of interchangeable parts.
7. Painter himself has been B1G coach of the year several times, so its not like he does not know how to put the parts together?
8. A lot of experience returns from a 3rd place B1G team.....shouldn't the team improve with key seniors now in place--one would think ranking would go up?
9. Mackey home court advantage of crazy fans.
10. If not 2016,WHEN?

Reactions: anythingbutIU
Guard play.

If we had an experienced, upper classman PG expectations would/should be much higher.

Also, do we have somebody who can be a CONSISTENT 15 ppg scorer amongst our 2 guards? If somebody emerges, we will be better than even we think.

I think the guards are good and young enough that they CAN take a step forward. Them doing so goes a long way to making this team nationally relevant vs. just an NCAA berth team and a 3-5 seed in the BTT

We should be one of the favorites.

Our NonCon is not completely set yet... but the tournament we are already in is not very strong, Pitt in the ACC challenge is not strong, Butler is certainly beatable. We will only have 6 games left to schedule- and we still need several home cupcakes. I can only see ONE more tough game potentially in the NonCon. We could very likely be undefeated or 1 loss going into conference. Our conference schedule is still favorable, not like last year, but its not dreadful either.

I'm hopeful we are 14-4 or better in conference- that should really be good enough to challenge for the title.

Go Boilers!!!

Are we giving Painter a pass.....a lot of posts below say 2-3 in the B1G. Why shouldn't Painter produce a B1G championship?
4. He finally has a top 40 player that most believe can give us scoring when things break down.
5. Players we have seen in Edwards, Mathias, Davis, and Hammons are very smart basketball players who are team oriented.
7. Painter himself has been B1G coach of the year several times, so its not like he does not know how to put the parts together?
8. A lot of experience returns from a 3rd place B1G team.....shouldn't the team improve with key seniors now in place--one would think ranking would go up?
10. If not 2016,WHEN?

A few responses:
  1. Who is our PG and can he play at an elite level?
  2. Will our SG's shoot consistently?
  3. Biggie is a 5 star, but he's not a typical 5 star in that he lacks elite athleticism so he may be slower to contribute at a high level
  4. Will Edwards have similar success at the 3 without the mismatches driven by playing the 4?
  5. Where will Davis play?
  6. Will Hammons be fully engaged all year?
  7. Mackey isn't what it used to be.
  8. Maryland is also deep and talented
  9. MSU is also deep and talented
  10. If not 2016, perhaps 2017.
I definitely think Purdue can win a Big Ten title if some things go right. But they may all go right and Maryland may still finish in front of us. Most national pundits have them as top 5 in the country and on a short list of National Title favorites for a reason.

10. If not 2016,WHEN?

I think this is Coach Painter's chance to have a/the team [to some extent] he's hoped & dreamed of getting for many years. I'm not making excuses for him, but when you have to recruit against the likes of IU, ND, and now Butler, you don't have the state's name in your team, history hasn't been particularly kind to you, & you get an Indiana Mr. Basketball once every 24 years, well, things could be better. Recruiting wise, maybe Coach Painter is just too honest? Ok, he's not the greatest snake oil salesman, lot lizzard or pretender. I like his style, tell them the truth, the whole truth, & nothing but the truth. This may cost you a recruit or three, but in the long run, it's the best way to deal with people.

This is Purdue's/Painter's year/season, should be fun to watch. Barring major injury, this should be a good season [wasn't Painter 3 time B1G Coach of the Year?] to judge Coach Painter, & what he & his team can do, if given the necessary ammunition to compete with.

Purdue is a contender in the big what more can you ask for? Not going to be the league favorite every year. Nobody is, I doubt majy are saying Purdue can't win a big ten championship. No he's not getting a free pass.

Come talk after the season because if we don't finish top 4 and a bare minimum of a sweet 16 then the season was a failure no doubt. My expectations are around 2-3 in big ten and elite 8 to sweet 16.

But I'm one of the few that think we will be deadly from the arc this year.

Can't wait

Reactions: BandofBoilers
10. If not 2016,WHEN?

1. We have 2 DPOY. Where are the other 3 defensive POY? Not on our team.
2. Everybody has shooters. Price of admission. No big deal.
3. Best front line in the BIG? Not so sure about that. Maryland and OSU are pretty good, and so will be MSU.
4. One top 40 player in Biggie? OSU just brought in 5 of them, one at every position. For sure, so did Maryland and MSU. No advantage there.
5. Lots of smart, team oriented players in the BIG. again, the price of admission to the league. No advantage here.
6. Deepest team? Maybe, but deep with very similar talent levels. No Russels, or Kaminskis, or other leading men. Everybody about the same. No go-to guys right now. Meh.
7. Painter is a good X&O coach. Once he plays you, he knows how to beat you. Guys like Izzo, Ryan, Mata, and Bielien are just as good, I think.
8. Agreed that a lot of experience returns. We bring back most of the third place team. It was third place, with a favorable schedule. How does that qualify us for a first place the next year?
9. Mackey is a good home court advantage, and this year we get a crack at Whisky, Maryland and MSU at home. Yes, I agree this is a real advantage, but one shared by most of the other teams in the BIG, though.
10. If not 2016...? Hummm,... then 2017 - 2020. Don't think the law of averages applies here - each year we don't get to 1st place, then our chances to get there the next year don't increase. . Each season remains an independent veriable. In fact, we might be a better team in 2017 than in 2016 because Biggie will have a year under his belt, and we will still have Haas. Painter's recruiting has really picked up, so we may continue to get better every year.

Sorry, I don't think Painter has an easy job to hit first place in the BIG this coming year. I don't see a clear advantage or a favorable schedule allowing a reasonable expectation of winning the BIG.

We will be competative with the best of the BIG, but I see it as a 3-way toss-up with Maryland and MSU. OSU and Wisconsin have outside chances. UM and IU are overrated right now IMHO. Both have coaches that are suspect.

:cool:

Reactions: Upright Hoosier
10. If not 2016,WHEN?

Do you want him to slit his wrists?

Nobody has said anything of the sort. Is Purdue a contender? Sure. Is Purdue a clear favorite? Absolutely not.

Seasons change. The Big Ten is not going to be the same this next year as it was this past year.

And adding Swanigan was great, but from your comments - it seems like you'd expect an amazing season whether Swanigan was there or not. But a month ago we had no talent, haven't done enough, we can't compete, don't have shooters, etc.

It's hilarious to me that people are still dead set on finding negatives and complaining.

1. Having two players who are seniors on the All-D team is great. But let's break them down separately. Two seniors is not a lot. They have great experience and leadership, but in terms of experience, two seniors isn't a ton (Wisconsin, for example, played 7 players more than 10 minutes a game last year - 4 were seniors, 1 junior and 2 sophomores). In terms of the all-defense, you have to give credit for those players becoming that. Davis was not some defensive guru as a recruit - the coaches developed him into that. Hammons had physical tools, but mentally the coaches have done a great job getting him to where he is today.

2. We have 2 shooters, but both need to stay healthy. Both have been set back by health issues in the past year.

3. Consistency matters. Will Hammons be able to elevate his game a little more and be consistent through the entire season? Will he avoid having MIA games - like MSU last year. And Swanigan is still a true freshman. He's very talented, but not all talent equates to immediate impact from high school to college. Haas did a great job, but still has things to improve.

4. Most believe it, but again, transitioning from high school to college is not always the smoothest.

5. Very team oriented guys. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's going to be a challenge to find the rotation that is most effective.

6. Again, very deep team, but sometimes that's a challenge. Wisconsin had a 7 man rotation basically through the entire year. Having depth is great, but it can also be challenging to find the right pieces to the puzzle.

7. He has certainly done it before and he can do it again. And again, it's weird to be almost complaining about this.

8. I don't think key seniors are now suddenly in place. We return most of our team. There's still a question on PG, which I think will play itself out fine. That being said, college basketball is a moving part. Just because we return a lot and should improve some just based on that - doesn't mean other teams will not as well. We finished tied for 3rd, with 2 other teams. You can't act like there isn't similar competition.

9. The Big Ten has top to bottom the hardest venues to play at of any conference. Mackey's a great home court, but you can say the same for nearly all of the other teams.

Look, nobody is trying to tamper expectations or giving anybody a pass. But this confrontational attitude post stuff has got to end. I don't know why it needs to be so aggressive "with us or against us" types of posts.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Maryland should win it. If we do, we overachieve, kudos to CMP. If we get 2nd, that's what we should do. If worse, then we were worse than expected.

Guard play.

If we had an experienced, upper classman PG expectations would/should be much higher.

Also, do we have somebody who can be a CONSISTENT 15 ppg scorer amongst our 2 guards? If somebody emerges, we will be better than even we think.

I think the guards are good and young enough that they CAN take a step forward. Them doing so goes a long way to making this team nationally relevant vs. just an NCAA berth team and a 3-5 seed in the BTT
Why don't we have experienced, upper classman PGs?

Do you want him to slit his wrists?

Nobody has said anything of the sort. Is Purdue a contender? Sure. Is Purdue a clear favorite? Absolutely not.

Seasons change. The Big Ten is not going to be the same this next year as it was this past year.

And adding Swanigan was great, but from your comments - it seems like you'd expect an amazing season whether Swanigan was there or not. But a month ago we had no talent, haven't done enough, we can't compete, don't have shooters, etc.

It's hilarious to me that people are still dead set on finding negatives and complaining.

1. Having two players who are seniors on the All-D team is great. But let's break them down separately. Two seniors is not a lot. They have great experience and leadership, but in terms of experience, two seniors isn't a ton (Wisconsin, for example, played 7 players more than 10 minutes a game last year - 4 were seniors, 1 junior and 2 sophomores). In terms of the all-defense, you have to give credit for those players becoming that. Davis was not some defensive guru as a recruit - the coaches developed him into that. Hammons had physical tools, but mentally the coaches have done a great job getting him to where he is today.

2. We have 2 shooters, but both need to stay healthy. Both have been set back by health issues in the past year.

3. Consistency matters. Will Hammons be able to elevate his game a little more and be consistent through the entire season? Will he avoid having MIA games - like MSU last year. And Swanigan is still a true freshman. He's very talented, but not all talent equates to immediate impact from high school to college. Haas did a great job, but still has things to improve.

4. Most believe it, but again, transitioning from high school to college is not always the smoothest.

5. Very team oriented guys. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's going to be a challenge to find the rotation that is most effective.

6. Again, very deep team, but sometimes that's a challenge. Wisconsin had a 7 man rotation basically through the entire year. Having depth is great, but it can also be challenging to find the right pieces to the puzzle.

7. He has certainly done it before and he can do it again. And again, it's weird to be almost complaining about this.

8. I don't think key seniors are now suddenly in place. We return most of our team. There's still a question on PG, which I think will play itself out fine. That being said, college basketball is a moving part. Just because we return a lot and should improve some just based on that - doesn't mean other teams will not as well. We finished tied for 3rd, with 2 other teams. You can't act like there isn't similar competition.

9. The Big Ten has top to bottom the hardest venues to play at of any conference. Mackey's a great home court, but you can say the same for nearly all of the other teams.

Look, nobody is trying to tamper expectations or giving anybody a pass. But this confrontational attitude post stuff has got to end. I don't know why it needs to be so aggressive "with us or against us" types of posts.

WOW are you sensitive.

Why don't we have experienced, upper classman PGs?
Mis-recruiting? Bryson and RJ weren't fits. That does fall squarely on the coach.

That said, Painter doesn't run an offense that necessarily needs a slashing/scoring guard. We will be just fine with Davis, Hill, PJT and Edwards getting to the basket. If outside shooting is good/great, we will be just fine.

Kudos to OP for wanting and expecting nothing but the best for this team. Ask any member of the team or staff and I hope they expect to win. They won't give you a list of reasons, they will just show you on the court.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
the consensus on this board seems to be a top 2 or 3 placing in the BIG, which is above
professional pundits prediction of top 5 (tied for 4th with Michigan)

this would suggest Painter is not getting a pass. Instead the fan base expectations are higher than that of the general public/pundits

the consensus on this board seems to be a top 2 or 3 placing in the BIG, which is above
professional pundits prediction of top 5 (tied for 4th with Michigan)

this would suggest Painter is not getting a pass. Instead the fan base expectations are higher than that of the general public/pundits

When is the fanbase expectations EVER lower than the general public/pundits???

WOW are you sensitive.

I'm sensitive to people who do nothing but drag things out, complain, whine, only look at things from 1 perspective, etc.

But go ahead and keep spinning. Because that's all you've done when something positive happens.

I get the hype on Maryland, but they did lose Wells. I think we have improved our team in the off season much more than they have, but we will see. I think it's going to be a 2 team race beween us and Maryland & would not be surprised if we win it.

Not in my mind he isn't.....

I see us winning or at least finishing top 3 this year, winning Big Ten Tourney and a deep run in the NCAA Tourney.

The reality is though many other Big Ten teams are loaded as well..........Maryland being the best.

We have as good a chance as any this year and years to come with the talent we have choosing to be Boilermakers.

Boiler Up!

What was favorable about our schedule? Purdue's conference SOS was 31, which was right on the median. The mean B1G SOS was 37. The two teams that finished in front of us were at 66 and 69.
We played MSU, WIsconsin and Maryland once. I think we were the ony team in the top 3-4 that played the other teams at the top of the conference only once. That's what I meant by "favorable".

Turning that perspective on it's head, we did not get the second opportunity to beat those teams either.

Because our HC recruits and then drives them off?
Yeh, I heard Painter absolutely hates Point Guards. They are nothing but trouble anyway. They seem to always want to talk about "sause", or some such nonsense.

He is actively petitioning the NCAA for a 4 on 4 game that includes no PG's. That way he won't have to run off any PG that happens to wander onto Keady Court. You know, they are just like cockroaches, turn on the light and they scurry for the end lines.

10. If not 2016,WHEN?

The team that finished ahead of Purdue also returned all of its key players except one, and brings in talent. But I won't be surprised if Purdue finishes #1.

1. We have 2 DPOY. Where are the other 3 defensive POY? Not on our team.
2. Everybody has shooters. Price of admission. No big deal.
3. Best front line in the BIG? Not so sure about that. Maryland and OSU are pretty good, and so will be MSU.
4. One top 40 player in Biggie? OSU just brought in 5 of them, one at every position. For sure, so did Maryland and MSU. No advantage there.
5. Lots of smart, team oriented players in the BIG. again, the price of admission to the league. No advantage here.
6. Deepest team? Maybe, but deep with very similar talent levels. No Russels, or Kaminskis, or other leading men. Everybody about the same. No go-to guys right now. Meh.
7. Painter is a good X&O coach. Once he plays you, he knows how to beat you. Guys like Izzo, Ryan, Mata, and Bielien are just as good, I think.
8. Agreed that a lot of experience returns. We bring back most of the third place team. It was third place, with a favorable schedule. How does that qualify us for a first place the next year?
9. Mackey is a good home court advantage, and this year we get a crack at Whisky, Maryland and MSU at home. Yes, I agree this is a real advantage, but one shared by most of the other teams in the BIG, though.
10. If not 2016...? Hummm,... then 2017 - 2020. Don't think the law of averages applies here - each year we don't get to 1st place, then our chances to get there the next year don't increase. . Each season remains an independent veriable. In fact, we might be a better team in 2017 than in 2016 because Biggie will have a year under his belt, and we will still have Haas. Painter's recruiting has really picked up, so we may continue to get better every year.

Sorry, I don't think Painter has an easy job to hit first place in the BIG this coming year. I don't see a clear advantage or a favorable schedule allowing a reasonable expectation of winning the BIG.

We will be competative with the best of the BIG, but I see it as a 3-way toss-up with Maryland and MSU. OSU and Wisconsin have outside chances. UM and IU are overrated right now IMHO. Both have coaches that are suspect.

You say in #6: 6. Deepest team? Maybe, but deep with very similar talent levels. No Russels, or Kaminskis, or other leading men. Everybody about the same. No go-to guys right now. Meh.

As a coach, and I'll use baseball as my strawman, I'd much rather have a team such as this one with no superstars than one with one or two. Give me a team that can hit the curveball from top to bottom for singles, and I'll win far more games than the teaw that has two or three that can hit it out. This team, save the new guys because we haven't seen them, has those single's hitters from top to bottom and will put together all facets (my opinion) of the game.

Can they beat Maryland, or OSU, or MSU, with their burger boys? Absolutely. Can they lost to those same teams? Absolutely. But I'll take this team who has played together and had a pretty darned good season last year to compete strongly and to even defeat those high powered programs.

Even the best teams in the Big rarely make it through unscathed, so it's usually down to who at the top of the pack hasn't dropped a game or two they shouldn't have to a tough mid-pack conference opponent. Hard for any team to go all season without that happening. Even the worst team in the conference is capable of an upset (see Rutgers- Wisconsin last January). All this makes it very hard to predict a favorite this early, unless one team is clearly much better than all the others - I wouldn't say any is right now.

If I were a betting man there isn't a team I'd lay even money on to win the Big this year. But I'd like to think that between last year's end-of-season rise, a significant increase in experience compared to last year at this time, and a great recruiting class, Purdue has as about as good a chance as any of the other top 3 to win the Big. That makes my predicted outcome for each between 2-3, with an near-equally unlikely chance of finishing first. This would hold true even if we were to assume a slight advantage to any team. As I see it, that's the difference between predicting the expected outcome for one team, vs. predicting a comprehensive conference ranking (which wouldn't be as accurate). Thank you, useless stat electives, for tainting my brain this way :)

Last edited:
Shooters to spread the court is yet to be seen Mathias showed potential last year just didn't produce shooting wise as we would of liked. Stephens can't be the only reliable shooter hopefully we find a way to get Mathias going next season.

10. If not 2016,WHEN?
I could care less about winning the Big other than the obvious impact on seeding. The NCAA is all that matters. I would take an elite 8 appearance over winning the Big next year any day. MSU took a 7 seed to the FF. that says enough to me.

I could care less about winning the Big other than the obvious impact on seeding. The NCAA is all that matters. I would take an elite 8 appearance over winning the Big next year any day. MSU took a 7 seed to the FF. that says enough to me.

And that is why winning the B1G is so important.....Winning the B1G would get us a #1 seed I believe....important because your odds of advancing to FF are ~ twice as high with a 1 over a 2 seed....tournament since 1985 (29 years)......

Seed No. 1: 40.5% reached Final Four
No. 2: 21.6%
No. 3: 12.1%
No. 4: 11.2%
No. 5: 5.2%
No. 6: 2.6%
No. 8: 3.4%
No. 9: 0.9%
No. 11: 2.6%

I'm sensitive to people who do nothing but drag things out, complain, whine, only look at things from 1 perspective, etc.

But go ahead and keep spinning. Because that's all you've done when something positive happens.
cpr is just not a happy person. He won't be until Painter is fired even though everything he complains about Painter over have either come to not be true or are so blatantly false it's not even funny.

He has expectations that even coach K and other top shelf coaches sometimes don't make yet would gladly keep those coaches while not giving Painter one ounce of leeway even after landing a 5 star stud even though he was one that either said it would never happen, or didn't think it would. And now that it has happened he has to try and dig something up to crap all over the program instead of just manning up and supporting the team for once.

Basically he is just a hypocritical douchenozzle.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
And that is why winning the B1G is so important.....Winning the B1G would get us a #1 seed I believe....important because your odds of advancing to FF are ~ twice as high with a 1 over a 2 seed....tournament since 1985 (29 years)......

Seed No. 1: 40.5% reached Final Four
No. 2: 21.6%
No. 3: 12.1%
No. 4: 11.2%
No. 5: 5.2%
No. 6: 2.6%
No. 8: 3.4%
No. 9: 0.9%
No. 11: 2.6%

Winning the Big Ten doesn't necessarily get you a #1 seed, unless it is an outright championship and also no "screw-up" in the tournament.

In 2012, there was a 3 way tie for first. MSU won the tie-breaker and was the #1 seed in the tournament and won the tournament - and was a #1 seed. Ohio State was one of the 3 way tie and lost to MSU in the championship game - got a #2 seed. The other 3-way tie, Michigan, was a #4 seed.

So yes, winning everything both the regular season and championship gets you a #1 seed in most cases. And with conference realignment, it obviously strongly favors the Big Ten getting a #1 seed almost every year.

We played MSU, WIsconsin and Maryland once. I think we were the ony team in the top 3-4 that played the other teams at the top of the conference only once. That's what I meant by "favorable".

Turning that perspective on it's head, we did not get the second opportunity to beat those teams either.

Wisconsin also. Their double plays were Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota.

This might be the dumbest thing you have ever said. And for you, that is an epic milestone.

Hey, I've given CMP plenty of credit where credit is due recently in landing CS and fielding a top 25ish team, but recruiting 2 recent 4 star PG's and then having them leave before they are upperclassmen b/c it is well known they clash with Painter is pretty crappy. I still have high hopes for this team, but they could be a top 10 type with a really good PG.

Painter will never get a pass on this board. If he wins the BIG10 Championship, goes undefeated, wins the National Title, this board will complain that it took him too long. Then they will get upset that we missed out on recruits. Then when we get a couple great recruits and a solid cast they will complain about the ones we missed.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Painter will never get a pass on this board. If he wins the BIG10 Championship, goes undefeated, wins the National Title, this board will complain that it took him too long. Then they will get upset that we missed out on recruits. Then when we get a couple great recruits and a solid cast they will complain about the ones we missed.
You are so right on this you deserve a beer. When Painter wins his first NT, there will be some on here that still would want him fired.

False. The guys has been to 2 sweet 16's and won 1 CO-B1G championship in a decade. Yet many here treat him as if he has done all of these great things. He may in time, but until then, I'm not going to treat him like coach K or Calipari or Izzo.

ADVERTISEMENT