ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting NIL stats

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
I am very surprised that Jayla Smith was in the "Top-Ten In Commission Earned for WBB During March Madness". Looking at the teams in the Top Ten, Purdue-who couldn't win their "First Four" game-seems out of place. It is hard to believe that Jayla, who doesn't even start, got more NIL money than, for instance, Caitlin Clark. Can we believe this ranking?

But good for Jayla and her Purdue supporters.

I am very surprised that Jayla Smith was in the "Top-Ten In Commission Earned for WBB During March Madness". Looking at the teams in the Top Ten, Purdue-who couldn't win their "First Four" game-seems out of place. It is hard to believe that Jayla, who doesn't even start, got more NIL money than, for instance, Caitlin Clark. Can we believe this ranking?

But good for Jayla and her Purdue supporters.
Some day someone will actually pay attention about women's basketball players and NIL. It has little to nothing to do with basketball for them, its about the ones that have created an online persona and presence that has made them "influencers" that draws many followers and that draws advertisers. Buechner at UConn and the twins at Miami were pulling in 6 digits from their online presense in high school with ZERO NIL dollars being part of it. IF Jayla was in the top 10, it wasn't Purdue supporters that put her there, it was advertisers because she has a large online following on some social media platform. This is now for college athletes all lumped in as NIL dollars for the sake of NCAA compliance. This has been mentioned SEVERAL times already on this board, and if you don't want to take my word for it, do some research so you know what you are talking about before posting something that demonstrates blatantly that you aren't paying attention to what anyone else says on here.

Some day someone will actually pay attention about women's basketball players and NIL. It has little to nothing to do with basketball for them, its about the ones that have created an online persona and presence that has made them "influencers" that draws many followers and that draws advertisers. Buechner at UConn and the twins at Miami were pulling in 6 digits from their online presense in high school with ZERO NIL dollars being part of it. IF Jayla was in the top 10, it wasn't Purdue supporters that put her there, it was advertisers because she has a large online following on some social media platform. This is now for college athletes all lumped in as NIL dollars for the sake of NCAA compliance. This has been mentioned SEVERAL times already on this board, and if you don't want to take my word for it, do some research so you know what you are talking about before posting something that demonstrates blatantly that you aren't paying attention to what anyone else says on here.
Michael, I was simply commenting on stats published by the Purdue NIL Store.

I cannot imagine why you thought you had to get so bent out of shape and hostile about it. And show me where these stats have been "mentioned SEVERAL times already on this board." But have a good day.

Michael, I was simply commenting on stats published by the Purdue NIL Store.

I cannot imagine why you thought you had to get so bent out of shape and hostile about it. And show me where these stats have been "mentioned SEVERAL times already on this board." But have a good day.

These stats are kind of misleading. I don’t think they factor in all of the NIL - and it says it’s just for March madness not the whole year. Obviously both lists have Purdue athletes on them so Purdue is wants to publish it anywhere and everywhere - primarily for recruiting efforts. I believe Smith had a shirt made through the nil store after her winning 3 pt bucket against Wisconsin. I believe those profits were being considered in the rankings of players.

These stats are kind of misleading. I don’t think they factor in all of the NIL - and it says it’s just for March madness not the whole year. Obviously both lists have Purdue athletes on them so Purdue is wants to publish it anywhere and everywhere - primarily for recruiting efforts. I believe Smith had a shirt made through the nil store after her winning 3 pt bucket against Wisconsin. I believe those profits were being considered in the rankings of players.
I also suspect it was self reported and most schools did not even bother sending in the information.

Thanks for your civil response. You could very well be correct. I did ask after my initial post “Can we believe this?” But Michael has to respond in his usual condescending and hostile fashion.

Thanks for your civil response. You could very well be correct. I did ask after my initial post “Can we believe this?” But Michael has to respond in his usual condescending and hostile fashion.

You are a hypocrite for how you go after me for hostile posts, but kiss BoilerPride's ass for his and a bully the way you went after Stoddard, you deserve no consideration IMO
I just want other posters to know that the way I was a “bully” to Stoddard was posting this after the 2 pt win over Wisconsin which occurred after she entered the portal::

It ”leaves a bad taste when she suddenly quits the team before the B1G Tournament. Would she not have wanted to be a part of a victory like tonight’s?”

Michael tore into me for that post. There is no winning any argument with Michael but I just did not want others to believe I have any ill will towards Stoddard. I wish her the best at Butler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT