ADVERTISEMENT

Indy Star Purdue Insider?

West James

True Freshman
May 18, 2015
I see an IU Insider, Butler Insider, ect., ect... Why no Purdue Insider? Is it just $$$, agenda, or somthing else? Maybe someone from the Indy Star can explain why no Purdue Insider?

I see an IU Insider, Butler Insider, ect., ect... Why no Purdue Insider? Is it just $$$, agenda, or somthing else? Maybe someone from the Indy Star can explain why no Purdue Insider?
Doesn't exist because you have constructed an oxymoronic complex by combining IU Star and Purdue. The Star is only moronic not oxymoronic.

There is a reason that rag is called the IU star.

Thank you, I knew the IU Star was extreemly/bias/pro IU/anti-Purdue & a publication of ill repute. I'm just waiting for some of the Star defenders to defend it here, now & honestly, as is humanly possible, & I'm still waiting... I've no doubt, the Star will have a Siamese Kitten Insider, long before it ever seriously considers a Purdue Insider. There are probably no Star supporters here, willing & able to support the insane actions of their bias publication. Clearly, this isn't our father's Star, or for that matter, an open, transparent & honest publication, of any sort. I guess some things are more important than honesty, transparency, openness & making a profit?

Now wait a minute. Wasn't there a Star "task force" a little while back assigned to initiate steps to getting more Purdue followers' subscriptions? It seemed genuinely sincere:

"Why don't we have more Purdue people reading our paper?"

"How can we "convince" them we do care?"

"We don't need no stinkin beat writer......." Get Lamont Cranston on this right away.

I think the Star prefers the Hoosiers but they have more subscribers; however, Purdue basketball has been getting a lot of coverage by them recently and it is appreciated. I used to think they just ignored Purdue but not so much now. It seems like they have been running a lot of Purdue related basketball stories recently.

Now wait a minute. Wasn't there a Star "task force" a little while back assigned to initiate steps to getting more Purdue followers' subscriptions? It seemed genuinely sincere:

"Why don't we have more Purdue people reading our paper?"

"How can we "convince" them we do care?"

"We don't need no stinkin beat writer......." Get Lamont Cranston on this right away.
Thank you for that. I could not remember the name of the guy from the Stye that used to come over and lecture us on our lack of knowledge about the urinalistic endeavors of the Star. Cranston was the guy!!!

Print media is dying more and more everyday. If the Star/News can't see that they could improve their internet readership with a solid Purdue presence, then that's just stupid marketing.

Dropped the IUStar a couple of years ago. With Twitter we know almost everything as soon as it happens, so really no reason to get it. Nothing else they offer is worth a sh1+.

Reactions: woggy718

There is an IndyStar Purdue Insider. It's called Journal and Courier

I think the Star prefers the Hoosiers but they have more subscribers; however, Purdue basketball has been getting a lot of coverage by them recently and it is appreciated. I used to think they just ignored Purdue but not so much now. It seems like they have been running a lot of Purdue related basketball stories recently.

Why no Purdue Insider? Are you honestly/seriously/actually telling us Butler has more fans in Indiana than Purdue? Please explain a Butler Insider, but no Purdue Insider, if you can?

Sincerely

Inquiring Minds

There is a Bloomington paper too.

They do have one, but it isn't owned by Gannett. Baird is much better covering Purdue for the JC than anyone the Star will find to cover for them exclusively. Everything that comes across on the Purdue Insider has been written by the JC writers. It's still the same amount of coverage as the past few years even though they said they would be covering Purdue more.

But Purdue isn't good enough to have it in the state's largest newspaper/the Indy Star? That was a total strike-out/whiff, & an exteewemly poor attempt at that. Surely you can do better than that?

But Purdue isn't good enough to have it in the state's largest newspaper/the Indy Star? That was a total strike-out/whiff, & an exteewemly poor attempt at that. Surely you can do better than that?

Why no Purdue Insider? Are you honestly/seriously/actually telling us Butler has more fans in Indiana than Purdue? Please explain a Butler Insider, but no Purdue Insider, if you can?

Sincerely

Inquiring Minds
Have you been reading the Star the last few months? They have had an article almost daily about Purdue basketball. I am a subscriber and I used to be disappointed in its coverage of Purdue but not so lately as it actually has been quite good.

Last edited:
Have you been reading the Star the last few months? They have had an article almost daily about Purdue basketball. I am a subscriber and I was disappointed in its coverage of Purdue but not so lately as it's been quite good.

That isn't what I asked, & you know it. I'll try it once more, a l i t t l e m o r e s l o w l y t h is t i m e. There is a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider. You know as well as the rest of us, the IU Star is extreemly bias, [I get the pro IU part, no problem there] ani-Purdue, & even to the point of, at times, intentionally ticking off Purdue fans with it's Purdue coverage, or lack there of & back handed swipes/compliments. Don't even bother with a response, unless you can do better than last time. "I am a subscriber..." Kinda' figures, you're the one. Pease turn off the light when you leave this evening.

I do read the IU Star, when The Communist Manifesto isn't available. I wouldn't trust your Red Star to give me an honest weather report, let alone an honest sports page. You can keep your Red Star, & the open bias that goes with it. Good riddance.

Last edited:
That isn't what I asked, & you know it. I'll try it once more, a l i t t l e m o r e s l o w l y t h is t i m e. There is a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider. You know as well as the rest of us, the IU Star is extreemly bias, [I get the pro IU part, no problem there] ani-Purdue, & even to the point of, at times, intentionally ticking off Purdue fans with it's Purdue coverage, or lack there of & back handed swipes/compliments. Don't even bother with a response, unless you can do better than last time. "I am a subscriber..." Kinda' figure, you're the one. Pease turn off the light when you leave this evening.

I do read the IU Star, when The Communist Manifesto isn't available. I wouldn't trust your Red Star to give me an honest weather report, let alone an honest sports page. You can keep your Red Star, & the open bias that goes with it. Good riddance.
I'm not leaving Billy, so just hit the ignore button the next time.

Reactions: Frankie611
I'm not leaving Billy, so just hit the ignore button the next time.

Honestly, [this time, please] a Butler Insider, but no Purdue Insider? Can't you be honest, for even one time? Why not? You're on a very lonely island out there, kind of like your Star in many aspects. Good luck, you'll need it, as will your paper. Maybe we will see the Siamese Kitten Insider, long before we see a Purdue Insider? Same old Gannett Star?

That isn't what I asked, & you know it. I'll try it once more, a l i t t l e m o r e s l o w l y t h is t i m e. There is a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider. You know as well as the rest of us, the IU Star is extreemly bias, [I get the pro IU part, no problem there] ani-Purdue, & even to the point of, at times, intentionally ticking off Purdue fans with it's Purdue coverage, or lack there of & back handed swipes/compliments. Don't even bother with a response, unless you can do better than last time. "I am a subscriber..." Kinda' figure, you're the one. Pease turn off the light when you leave this evening.

So you already went on a tirade about Matt Tully a few weeks ago that was so vulgar you caused the entire thread to be deleted. Now you are ripping on the sports page. Why don't you just cancel the subscription?

Butler is the alter-ego of Iu, which is likely why they have a beat writer. When Iu is not doing well, the Iu fans can jump right over to Butler, which is what they did when Purdue had top 5 teams with the Baby Boilers. I doubt Butler will ever be able to sustain big time success due to this fact. Their fan base will expand and contract to a large extent with the success or failure of Iu. Remember when Iu had the top 5 team a few years ago? We heard nothing about Butler that year even though they beat said Iu team. This will make it hard for them to invest in coaches, facilities, ect.

Reactions: Bill4411
So you already went on a tirade about Matt Tully a few weeks ago that was so vulgar you caused the entire thread to be deleted. Now you are ripping on the sports page. Why don't you just cancel the subscription?

Butler is the alter-ego of Iu, which is likely why they have a beat writer. When Iu is not doing well, the Iu fans can jump right over to Butler, which is what they did when Purdue had top 5 teams with the Baby Boilers. I doubt Butler will ever be able to sustain big time success due to this fact. Their fan base will expand and contract to a large extent with the success or failure of Iu. Remember when Iu had the top 5 team a few years ago? We heard nothing about Butler that year even though they beat said Iu team. This will make it hard for them to invest in coaches, facilities, ect.

Who said I was an Indy Star subscriber? What did I say about Matt Tully that was "vulgar"? So you're telling us most IU fans are also big Butler fans? I had no idea please elaborate further, if you can? That attempt was so convoluted, it's laughable :)

Wow, so according to you, because the IU fans are also Butler fans, the Indy Star can't put out a Purdue Insider? Are you sure you're on the right board? You need to go back on your meds, immediately, or sooner, please. Lay down for awhile, while you're at it, please.

Wow?

That isn't what I asked, & you know it. I'll try it once more, a l i t t l e m o r e s l o w l y t h is t i m e. There is a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider. You know as well as the rest of us, the IU Star is extreemly bias, [I get the pro IU part, no problem there] ani-Purdue, & even to the point of, at times, intentionally ticking off Purdue fans with it's Purdue coverage, or lack there of & back handed swipes/compliments. Don't even bother with a response, unless you can do better than last time. "I am a subscriber..." Kinda' figures, you're the one. Pease turn off the light when you leave this evening.

Easy, Bill was just stating his opinion. Your response was pretty harsh at least in my opinion based on his original post.

Easy, Bill was just stating his opinion. Your response was pretty harsh at least in my opinion based on his original post.

If you'll notice his original post, you'll see he didn't answer my question. He danced all around it, with extreemly obvious, insignificant facts which anyone off the street could have demised, even you. But of course Purdue got more Indy Star press over the last month, they have had a lot of extreemly good news come their way lately. Everyone [even you could figure that out] knows the Star would/had to give them some press coverage/good coverage after all the good news. No problems there. He danced around my question, it seemed/seems, intentionally.

I'll give you the same chance I gave him. If a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider? I believe he intentionally avoided the obvioius. Can you answer my question? If the Star has a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider?

Sincerely

Just the facts, please

If you'll notice his original post, you'll see he didn't answer my question. He danced all around it, with extreemly obvious, insignificant facts which anyone off the street could have demised, even you. But of course Purdue got more Indy Star press over the last month, they have had a lot of extreemly good news come their way lately. Everyone [even you could figure that out] knows the Star would/had to give them some press coverage/good coverage after all the good news. No problems there. He danced around my question, it seemed/seems, intentionally.

I'll give you the same chance I gave him. If a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider? I believe he intentionally avoided the obvioius. Can you answer my question? If the Star has a Butler Insider, why no Purdue Insider?

Sincerely

Just the facts, please
If you would bother to read above you would see I was critical of the StarNews coverage. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate your condescending post implying that unless we are in total agreement I'm an idiot. The Star reposts stuff from the Journal which I think is crap. To answer your question, Butler is local. Now before you hemmorage more on here about other local schools like IUPUI I know about them.

Reactions: Frankie611
If you would bother to read above you would see I was critical of the StarNews coverage. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate your condescending post implying that unless we are in total agreement I'm an idiot. The Star reposts stuff from the Journal which I think is crap. To answer your question, Butler is local. Now before you hemmorage more on here about other local schools like IUPUI I know about them.

You were the one who mentioned idiot, not I. You originally said my reponse was pretty harsh. Fine, that's your opinion. My opinion of Bill's original comment was, it was evasive & misleading, toward what this thread is all about, what I originally asked. I have nothing against Bill or anyone else. It's really a simple question.

"Butler is local ..." So, because Butler is local, [& admittedly a lot smaller school than Purdue, which everyone knows] it's logical to give them more coverage/ an Insider, when Purdue has none? You're a terrible dancer. Does it really pain you so, to just admit the obvious? The Star has an agenda, & this agenda has nothing to do with politics.

I quit taking that "paper" a long time ago. I'm damn near a techtard and still use the internet to get the sports information I need. I look forward to the demise of the publication. I was a News carrier as a child. And if they are actually covering Purdue basketball, then it's about damn time. Page 7 when we were ranked and iu on page 1 when they totally sucked in the early years of Crean.

I quit taking that "paper" a long time ago. I'm damn near a techtard and still use the internet to get the sports information I need. I look forward to the demise of the publication. I was a News carrier as a child. And if they are actually covering Purdue basketball, then it's about damn time. Page 7 when we were ranked and iu on page 1 when they totally sucked in the early years of Crean.

I agree, this [Gannett] Indy Star, isn't our father's Star, isn't even close to being anywhere near fair in it's sports page. I won't even get into the news/political section. My uncle worked for the old Star, decades ago, pre Gannett. It's one thing for an owner/publisher to inject it's personal political vision/opinion/bias opinion in the news section of a paper [happens all the time] , it's quite anouther when an owner/publisher goes to the extreems this Star goes to, to inject those openly bias opinions/policies in it's sports page, especially toward one particular team, in this case Purdue University. This extreem bias has been going on since Gannett took control of the paper. The bias only grows in quantity & intensity, if those on the receiving end, don't stand up for themselves/their team. If we [Purdue fans] say & do nothing, the Star management/ownership will think, not only is it ok to continue such openly bias treatment/policies of this team/Purdue, but they'll increase the quantity & intensity of the attacks. If we say & do nothing, the treatment will only get worse.

This thread was intendid to see if other Purdue fans saw the openly bias treatment of Purdue University sports I saw. Some here clearly want to make illegitimate excuses for the treatment Purdue has been getting by Gannett/The Star, for years. If I seem harsh, unfair, or mad, sometimes to expose ill treatment, the facts, history & circumstances may blur the reality of the situation. The Star is openly bias against Purdue University sports, & I'm not ashamed to aknowledge it, now, or until said bias treatment ceases. I'm not mad, just tired of this openly bias treatment. I know my personal opinion will most likely change nothing, but continuing to keep quiet, will surely result in the status quo, or worse.

I realize IU is a bigger & more important school/revenue generator, but it goes a lot farther that that, since Gannett took control anyway. The longer we keep quiet, the worse the treatment will surely get. They will only change, when upper management/ownership is affected in a significant way, [monitary or job loss] & not until then. It might not come to mind immediately, put the accumulated effect of years & years of this kind of open bias treatment could have lost the university a recruit or three? I wouldn't doubt it. The power of the press is so much more, than what immediately meets the eye, & always will be.

Last edited:

Purdue has a ton of special license plates in Indy. I visit the area a couple of times per year and am always amazed by and proud of the number.
It's probably like movie ratings. Studios typically make the most "profit" on "G" and "PG" movies yet insist on adding language or nudity to get a "PG13" or "R" rating.
Sometimes it's only one scene that is specially added to drive a portion of the audience away :)

Almost all of those stories are re-published stories by Lafayette J&C writers. If you read the J&C, you'll get almost every story published in the Star. And most of those only appear in the on-line edition -- not yhr print edition.

Reactions: IndyRider

I was being critical of the Indystar Purdue coverage. Everything in the star regarding Purdue is written by Baird in the JC on the same day or the day prior.

ADVERTISEMENT