ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana 2021 Miss Basketball

She is very good. Great shooter, very savvy, just an all around winner. Jayla and Madison will be a great pair of wings for years to come. I can't wait to see them play together.
Madison is way too slow for D-1 college basketball imho... I like her size and court vision and IQ, but she's not athletic and is really slow and scared to shoot sometimes... jmho. Hopefully she finds some speed in the offseason.

I'm anxious to see Jayla Smith hopefully she starts out of the gate... I'm so tired of seeing Traylor.
Kayana Traylor will be the starting point guard. And most likely will be All Big Ten.

Jayla Smith will play a lot.....but most of her minutes will be at the 2 or 3.

I think your starting lineup will be: Traylor, McLaughlin, Layden, Kyle and either Moore or Makolo to start the season. Smith may work herself in there in Moore's place early if she has the impact I expect. Not sure about the other Freshmen yet. I have never seen any of them play. But I have read good things about all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
yes she is.. and you know it... she has a great basketball IQ, looks to pass too much when she should be shooting but is a great passer and anticipates where her fellow teammates are going to be and I love her game, but she's slow, and she has trouble creating her own shot. Hope she works on those things this offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Kayana Traylor will be the starting point guard. And most likely will be All Big Ten.

Jayla Smith will play a lot.....but most of her minutes will be at the 2 or 3.

I think your starting lineup will be: Traylor, McLaughlin, Layden, Kyle and either Moore or Makolo to start the season. Smith may work herself in there in Moore's place early if she has the impact I expect. Not sure about the other Freshmen yet. I have never seen any of them play. But I have read good things about all of them.
Of course Traylor will be the starting PG but she dominates the ball way more than she should imho, dribbles too much, doesn't shoot enough, and I would love to see Smith take over the PG position and she will eventually. I think I get frustrated watching Kayana play because she's often the only real scoring threat on the floor, the offense seems stagnant, and she sometimes tries to do too much, and there were way too many empty possessions on the offensive end for Purdue this last season as the offense was centered around Traylor dribbling out front for 20 seconds and then someone launching a 3 that clanked off the rim. This team needs more players that can create their own shot, are more athletic and quicker and have a scoring mentality, and this team needs better offensive execution and better talent which will only come with a coaching upgrade sadly. JMHO.

Last edited:
yes she is.. and you know it... she has a great basketball IQ, looks to pass too much when she should be shooting but is a great passer and anticipates where her fellow teammates are going to be and I love her game, but she's slow, and she has trouble creating her own shot. Hope she works on those things this offseason.

Some of what you're saying has merit but to say she's not a D-1 player is foolish.

Some of what you're saying has merit but to say she's not a D-1 player is foolish.
I'll take 3 maybe 4 more years out of Madison and be more than happy about it. She had a nice Frosh year, not a perfect player but one that we'll see improvements from yearly. Pencil her with Karissa, Traylor, Jayla Smith, and Kyle and Purdue should have enough firepower to at least play in the tournament. Looks like Sharon is getting another year, if she wasn't I'm guessing it would have been announced by now.

Finished 6th in the B1G in steals. Can't be that slow.

she's pretty slow..... she would have been a top 10 HS recruit if she were faster
She's slow but has intangibles, Krautwig from Loyola is slow but is a really good player, players like these two are fun to watch. I do agree that if she were fast she's probably a top 20 recruit instead of top 75 or whatever she was.

From this good discussion, looks like most are feeling that the time to change Versyp has passed?

From this good discussion, looks like most are feeling that the time to change Versyp has passed?
I think with each day that goes by, the chances are becoming slimmer. I mean I haven't heard or read anything from anybody that is really in the know. Until we do, I guess we are to assume Coach Versyp will be back.

Either way....I will be watching and pulling for them to be successful just like every other year.

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
I think with each day that goes by, the chances are becoming slimmer. I mean I haven't heard or read anything from anybody that is really in the know. Until we do, I guess we are to assume Coach Versyp will be back.

Either way....I will be watching and pulling for them to be successful just like every other year.
Me too buddy! I seriously wouldn't mind bringing in Katie as an assistant though, if she's coaching a USA select team might be good as a lead recruiter.

Russ I don't remember you on this board in prior years, perhaps my memory is faulty, but I must say it's nice to have you here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT