ADVERTISEMENT

IN vs Kent all star game....

PU pit bull

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
Kyle Neddenriep ‏@KyleNeddenriep 8m8 minutes ago

Ryan Cline led Indiana All-Stars with 23 points. Sanford and Holba each had 15. Sutton and Perry had 16 each for Kentucky. IN 83 Kent 80

Girls team barely won 93-49...........

CHWFzkmW8AAN54d.jpg

Reactions: boiler62
Cline had a very good stat line. He may be just what the Dr. ordered to go along with our imposing front line. The kid had a very nice game against strong competition. If Weatherford is anything like Kramer, this may end up being a very good recruiting class for Purdue hoops.

Reactions: boiler62
Thanks for the updates, pit bull.

Ryan Cline! He looks to be the real deal.

thanks for posting, pit bull.

for KY, is Bolden the "Beetle Bolden" PG that purdue was recruiting a couple years back? Not an impressive stat line for him whatsover. Curious if that is the one...

Yes...same guy. I was at the game. I was watching him in particular because of that "former recruit" link. He played better than that stat line would imply, including a late game clutch three to answer Cline and to give KY the lead. Then after Cline drove the lane for an IN lead for good with under :30 to go, "Beetle" (that's what the crowd was calling him) tried to duplicate his earlier shot for the win but was cleanly blocked by Sanford who took the ball full court for a buzzer beater to produce the final three point difference. It became a very exciting game in the final 10 minutes or so, with both teams playing with the kind of intensity and defense you seldom see in an All-Star game. BTW Beetle also had seven RBs...pretty good for a slightly built six footer playing just 21 minutes. Box score shows 3 TO's, but I don't recall any that seemed egrigious, and he did have several nice passes that failed to result in assists when he teammates bricked the shots. Bolden is going to play for Huggins at WV. In summary, I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade to anything we already have, but he's a solid player (or at least seemed so last night).

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Yes...same guy. I was at the game. I was watching him in particular because of that "former recruit" link. He played better than that stat line would imply, including a late game clutch three to answer Cline and to give KY the lead. Then after Cline drove the lane for an IN lead for good with under :30 to go, "Beetle" (that's what the crowd was calling him) tried to duplicate his earlier shot for the win but was cleanly blocked by Sanford who took the ball full court for a buzzer beater to produce the final three point difference. It became a very exciting game in the final 10 minutes or so, with both teams playing with the kind of intensity and defense you seldom see in an All-Star game. BTW Beetle also had seven RBs...pretty good for a slightly built six footer playing just 21 minutes. Box score shows 3 TO's, but I don't recall any that seemed egrigious, and he did have several nice passes that failed to result in assists when he teammates bricked the shots. Bolden is going to play for Huggins at WV. In summary, I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade to anything we already have, but he's a solid player (or at least seemed so last night).

Bluegrass - just goes to show it is difficult to measure the true impact a player has by his stat line. Thanks for the update and I was wondering where Bolden had chosen to attend college. Seven rebounds did stand out and it sounds like he was the go-to option when the game was on the line. You impressed with Cline? Thoughts on him?

Ryan Cline was 5-9 from 3, the rest of the IN team was 5-19.

Kid can shoot it. If he can get open looks at the B1G level, we are in for a treat.

Bluegrass - just goes to show it is difficult to measure the true impact a player has by his stat line. Thanks for the update and I was wondering where Bolden had chosen to attend college. Seven rebounds did stand out and it sounds like he was the go-to option when the game was on the line. You impressed with Cline? Thoughts on him?
I'll answer your question, but to Grad's question about attendance first... Last night was about 1/2 of the prior year. They do a terrible job of promoting in Lexington. Even the local paper didn't have it listed in the "Around Town" list of weekend sporting events. It's a fund raiser for the Lions Club, so I'm guessing their promo budget is not-existent. Frankly I don't know why they moved it from Louisville where there's a bigger population base and it's a closer drive for Indiana fans (who probably made up at least 1/3 of last night's crowd). One big fan that was impossible to miss was Rik Smits...all 7'4" of him sitting in the first row center court.

As far as Cline is concerned, offensively he was very impressive. He shoots with bigger guys in his face from well beyond the line with extreme confidence (and, fortunately, accuracy too). The intensity really exploded in the last ten minutes once the KY crowd realized their team might just win that game. Defensively they were determined to limit Cline's touches and open opportunities, but you could tell he knew that and still wanted the ball. At one point with IN down four and about two minutes to go we could hear him yelling for the ball despite being covered. Somehow he still got his shot off from well beyond the line and nothing but net to bring IN to within one. A little later with the game on the line and double-teamed, he split the defenders to score off the dribble giving IN it's final lead at 81-80. Offensively, he was unstoppable despite their concentrated efforts to shut him down. He also had several good passes...sees the floor very well. Defensively, there were times I saw him defending only with his feet/positioning, and all I could think of was how Painter demands that. Other times he seemed to be cemented to the floor and got beat by a smaller/quicker guard. If he gets minutes in WL, it will clearly be for his offense. His defense will get better.

I'll answer your question, but to Grad's question about attendance first... Last night was about 1/2 of the prior year. They do a terrible job of promoting in Lexington. Even the local paper didn't have it listed in the "Around Town" list of weekend sporting events. It's a fund raiser for the Lions Club, so I'm guessing their promo budget is not-existent. Frankly I don't know why they moved it from Louisville where there's a bigger population base and it's a closer drive for Indiana fans (who probably made up at least 1/3 of last night's crowd). One big fan that was impossible to miss was Rik Smits...all 7'4" of him sitting in the first row center court.

As far as Cline is concerned, offensively he was very impressive. He shoots with bigger guys in his face from well beyond the line with extreme confidence (and, fortunately, accuracy too). The intensity really exploded in the last ten minutes once the KY crowd realized their team might just win that game. Defensively they were determined to limit Cline's touches and open opportunities, but you could tell he knew that and still wanted the ball. At one point with IN down four and about two minutes to go we could hear him yelling for the ball despite being covered. Somehow he still got his shot off from well beyond the line and nothing but net to bring IN to within one. A little later with the game on the line and double-teamed, he split the defenders to score off the dribble giving IN it's final lead at 81-80. Offensively, he was unstoppable despite their concentrated efforts to shut him down. He also had several good passes...sees the floor very well. Defensively, there were times I saw him defending only with his feet/positioning, and all I could think of was how Painter demands that. Other times he seemed to be cemented to the floor and got beat by a smaller/quicker guard. If he gets minutes in WL, it will clearly be for his offense. His defense will get better.

You seem to be describing him like others have.......a stone cold killer, albeit behind a baby's face. He seems to have a confidence about him and it will be interesting to see how that translates at the college level. PU has had good shooters come and go, some were gamers while others may have had more legendary practices LOL. We will see about this kid and what category he belongs in. I will say it again, I hope he can come in when the team is at a lull or just needs a spark, and bury a couple of threes ala Matt Roth for IU. Roth would come off the bench cold as hell, and just stick a dagger in the opponent.....amazing. If Cline can do that this season I'll be happy as f*ck!

I haven't been this jacked up for an upcoming Boilermaker Basketball season since in ever Dave, in ever.

Reactions: Cleanface
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts here. I was happy to hear that Cline has more to his game than just bombing 3's. Sounds like the only reason to consider a redshirt is due to his strength? You gotta love this kid's potential.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts here. I was happy to hear that Cline has more to his game than just bombing 3's. Sounds like the only reason to consider a redshirt is due to his strength? You gotta love this kid's potential.

He better not redshirt, or else some of us will have to form an angry mob outside of the coaches' offices, hehehe.

He better not redshirt, or else some of us will have to form an angry mob outside of the coaches' offices, hehehe.

There's gonna be some redshirting somewhere because we simply can't play 10 players.

Again, I'm excited for Cline, but high school and college are 2 different things. He needs to add strength - he's said it himself. And there are 2 three point shooters with experience. Right now it's hard to even envision both of those guys playing at the same time with the depth we have, let alone add a 3rd.

If he isn't going to get valuable minutes, I'd rather him redshirt.

You seem to be describing him like others have.......a stone cold killer, albeit behind a baby's face. He seems to have a confidence about him and it will be interesting to see how that translates at the college level. PU has had good shooters come and go, some were gamers while others may have had more legendary practices LOL. We will see about this kid and what category he belongs in. I will say it again, I hope he can come in when the team is at a lull or just needs a spark, and bury a couple of threes ala Matt Roth for IU. Roth would come off the bench cold as hell, and just stick a dagger in the opponent.....amazing. If Cline can do that this season I'll be happy as f*ck!

He definitely does not lack in confidence. He's not a showboater or selfish either. He works hard and is a competitor - sometimes this can take some adjusting in college, but mentally he seems like a great get for Purdue.

There's gonna be some redshirting somewhere because we simply can't play 10 players.

Again, I'm excited for Cline, but high school and college are 2 different things. He needs to add strength - he's said it himself. And there are 2 three point shooters with experience. Right now it's hard to even envision both of those guys playing at the same time with the depth we have, let alone add a 3rd.

If he isn't going to get valuable minutes, I'd rather him redshirt.

Yes, a team can play 10 players. It's happened many times before and it will happen again. For example, Purdue played 9 guys regularly this past season and Bryson Scott was in the rotation until he got into the doghouse, so that's 10 right there.

Yes, a team can play 10 players. It's happened many times before and it will happen again. For example, Purdue played 9 guys regularly this past season and Bryson Scott was in the rotation until he got into the doghouse, so that's 10 right there.
Also, remember that once Painter settled into a rotation, he played Scott or Thompson, but not both in the same game.

Agree. But the reality is that Purdue has 13 guys who could contribute (Hammons, Haas, Biggie, Davis, Edwards, Taylor, Stephens, Mathias, Cline, Thompson, Weatherford, Smotherman, Hill). You can get away with playing 10, but you can't play 13. That means three guys on that list will sit (except for spot minutes in blowouts). I'd guess one is Taylor. Two is probably Weatherford (but he may bring something defensively no one else can). Who is #3?

Weatherford, Taylor, Thompson, and Smotherman will likely be the players that average the least amount of MPG, IMO. 1 of the 3 shooting guard-types (Stephens, Mathias, Cline) might play less than expected as well.

Weatherford, Taylor, Thompson, and Smotherman will likely be the players that average the least amount of MPG, IMO. 1 of the 3 shooting guard-types (Stephens, Mathias, Cline) might play less than expected as well.

I really think Basil will get decent minutes. Got 15 mpg the last 15 games of the season, which is when we started playing our best

Agree. But the reality is that Purdue has 13 guys who could contribute (Hammons, Haas, Biggie, Davis, Edwards, Taylor, Stephens, Mathias, Cline, Thompson, Weatherford, Smotherman, Hill). You can get away with playing 10, but you can't play 13. That means three guys on that list will sit (except for spot minutes in blowouts). I'd guess one is Taylor. Two is probably Weatherford (but he may bring something defensively no one else can). Who is #3?

1. Playing #s is probably why 1-2 guys will RS....just too many good guys available to waist a season with spot minutes.

2. Why does everyone assume Hill will pay so much? Has Painter said anything to indicate that he really has shown he is a B1G starter caliber guy?

I wonder the same thing Buck does. And I gather that Painter's not exactly sure what we'll get from Hill either. Seems that some here are expecting to just plug in Octeus II and it will translate perfectly. But I think CMP intends to have a point guard competition that won't be over any time soon. And there's probably more candidates on the roster than some of us think.

I think CMP intends to have a point guard competition that won't be over any time soon. And there's probably more candidates on the roster than some of us think.

Let's count them based on what we've heard speculated to date:
PJ (played there already)
Davis (rumored to be working on his ball-handling to try PG)
Hill (5th year recruited for the roll)
Weatherford (Freshman recruited for "D" and possible PG role)
Edwards (speculated by some to have "point forward" skills)
Mathias (PG potential because of his game-smarts and passing abilities)
Cline (Freshman shooting guard who sees the floor and passes well along with reasonable ball-handling skill who played some PG in HS and AAU)

That's SEVEN on the roster with PG attributes at one level or another. Did I miss anyone? Didn't we see Basil bring the ball up the floor a few times last season too?

I'm beginning to believe we might be able to pull off a successful active motion offense without a true PG on the floor, but with multiple players who have at least some PG skills. Heck, even Calipari's latest "angle" is he's telling everyone he doesn't play players at positions, but expects them all to have/develop multi-position skills.

Defense, though, well that's another story....

Glad I'm not the one making the PT decisions this season!

Reactions: Schnelk
Agree. My guess is you could trim that group to Thompson and Hill with Davis and Mathias getting a serious look also. Some of us just might be surprised by the time November gets here.

Agree. My guess is you could trim that group to Thompson and Hill with Davis and Mathias getting a serious look also. Some of us just might be surprised by the time November gets here.

Weatherford will get time at the PG spot, at least during the preseason.

:cool:

1. Playing #s is probably why 1-2 guys will RS....just too many good guys available to waist a season with spot minutes.

2. Why does everyone assume Hill will pay so much? Has Painter said anything to indicate that he really has shown he is a B1G starter caliber guy?
Probably because we've seen what PJ has to offer and it isn't very much. Someone has to play PG. Hill adds length and experience that PJ doesn't have.

Probably because we've seen what PJ has to offer and it isn't very much. Someone has to play PG. Hill adds length and experience that PJ doesn't have.

Not necessarily promoting PJ over other options, but you could probably say that about most freshmen PGs on NCAA-caliber teams with a 5th year starter and a sophomore hoped-for starter ahead of them the entire season. Granted, he may never be the first option for Purdue, but isn't it a little unfair to write him off as an 19 year old has-been?

I recall PJ coming into a BIG game last year and stealing the inbounds pass, laying it up. Then he harrassed the sh-t out of the opponent's PG. I don't recall which game, but he personally turned that game around.

I don't think he is any way of a washed out PG! I expect a sophmore PJ to greatly exceed the play of the Freshman PJ. Writing him off, or any such a judgement at this point is premature and inaccurate.

:cool:

Not necessarily promoting PJ over other options, but you could probably say that about most freshmen PGs on NCAA-caliber teams with a 5th year starter and a sophomore hoped-for starter ahead of them the entire season. Granted, he may never be the first option for Purdue, but isn't it a little unfair to write him off as an 19 year old has-been?
I never "wrote him off." Just wasn't very impressed with him last year and he doesn't really have the athleticism or body that makes me think he'll have some huge sophomore jump. I'm sure he'll get some playing time, but I don't think he deserves to be taking a lot of minutes from our more talented players. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise me?

I never "wrote him off." Just wasn't very impressed with him last year and he doesn't really have the athleticism or body that makes me think he'll have some huge sophomore jump. I'm sure he'll get some playing time, but I don't think he deserves to be taking a lot of minutes from our more talented players. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise me?

You say you haven't written him off, but your every other sentence says otherwise.

PJ was a FRESHMAN last year and comes in this year and comes in with more high-major game time at PG than anyone else on the roster. People don't plateau over their first year. Sophomores make the biggest gains.

What about his game makes him a liability? He played solid defense last year and doesn't turn the ball over.

You say you haven't written him off, but your every other sentence says otherwise.

PJ was a FRESHMAN last year and comes in this year and comes in with more high-major game time at PG than anyone else on the roster. People don't plateau over their first year. Sophomores make the biggest gains.

What about his game makes him a liability? He played solid defense last year and doesn't turn the ball over.
I understand he was a frosh. I understand he didn't plateau. I clearly acknowledged he may surprise me and make a big sophomore jump(i.e. Not writing him off). Just not a fan of his game so far. He was an ok defender, I did like his fast hands. Didn't display much of an offensive game though and his handles and passing were mediocre at best. Needs to improve a lot to be on the level of other PG's in the b1g.

I'm not disagreeing that he's an average B1G PG at best... but you're original declaration was that Johnny Hill, who is completely unproven at a high major level with pedestrian numbers in the Sun Belt conf, is going to eclipse PJ's play time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT