ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sorry for being so late with this, but did Appleby really

Pigalow

Sophomore
Nov 8, 2012
refer to Bloomington as the "armpit" of Indiana? Actually, that's rhetorical, I know he did. That's, like, kind of tough to stand by considering Bloomington routinely makes "best cities to live in" lists. That's best in the nation, btw. It would probably be closer to the truth to say,"only place in Indiana which is NOT an armpit" if you were to ask those from abroad that travel through the state. I'm just saying, from the outside that was a poor choice of smack to tweet, that's all.

Originally posted by ckossnar:
refer to Bloomington as the "armpit" of Indiana? Actually, that's rhetorical, I know he did. That's, like, kind of tough to stand by considering Bloomington routinely makes "best cities to live in" lists. That's best in the nation, btw. It would probably be closer to the truth to say,"only place in Indiana which is NOT an armpit" if you were to ask those from abroad that travel through the state. I'm just saying, from the outside that was a poor choice of smack to tweet, that's all.
Post the list that names Bloomington? Meth Monthly doesnt count

Beyond Meth Monthly here were a few that mentioned Bloomongton as a great place to live:

-Cousins loving Cousins Weekly
-Low IQ Annual Review (comes out three times a year)
-"You scored 540 on the SAT now what"pamphlet
-Notre Dames "What to do during basketball season" flyer

I'm sorry, but nobody could honestly think Bloomington is a nice town to live in (other than those that have never lived outside of Bloomington). I have family that lives there, and I lived just south of there for a few years. Every day I hope my family moves away from that cess pool.

You should tell the visitbloomington.com site about it, because they have no record of that.

By the way, time.com has 6 Indiana towns on that list, and Bloomington is not one of them.

So, where are these "best cities to live in" lists?

Visit Bloomington.

I think he's referring to lists appearing in the following mags:

Rainbow Gayzette
Yur-IN Luck Monthly
Digest of Living Green (in the recycled trailer section)

For all his shortcomings as a QB, Appleby just proved he's smarter than anyone registered at the PiggStye.

Hey, I had no idea - he's absolutely right:

Bloomington is the "4th Gayest City in America", according to The Advocate.

Bloomington was named the number one "surprisingly gay small town destination" by Advocate.com and OutTraveler.com.

Shouldn't you be worried about another losing year in 2015 followed by the exit of Wilson in favor of another guy who can't get it done? All in front of 20,000 fans in the stadium and 30,000 drunks in the parking lot.

Originally posted by Kern County:
Shouldn't you be worried about another losing year in 2015 followed by the exit of Wilson in favor of another guy who can't get it done? All in front of 20,000 fans in the stadium and 30,000 drunks in the parking lot.
Uhhh...you posted this while logged into the wrong account KERN

Uhh . . . This is the only account I have, so you would be wrong about that. Did you hit your head again?

Comon guys, what can you really say about the non campus portions of Bloomington that you cant say about Lafayette.

I bet a ho down will fix these hard feelings!

The non-campus parts of Bloomington are MUCH worse than the non-campus parts of West Lafayette! It's not even close. It's an entire different breed of person once you get 20 miles south of Indy. It's crazy how you hit that cut off line and people all of a sudden sound like they're from Alabama.

Agree, but then 20 miles north or whatever you have indy. As where I would say Lafayette/surrounding area is an average of the two.

refer to Bloomington as the "armpit" of Indiana?  Actually, that's rhetorical, I know he did.   That's, like, kind of tough to stand by considering Bloomington routinely makes "best cities to live in" lists.  That's best in the nation, btw.   It would probably be closer to the truth to say,"only place in Indiana which is NOT an armpit" if you were to ask those from abroad that travel through the state.   I'm just saying, from the outside that was a poor choice of smack to tweet, that's all.

Please provide us with any list please. We're waiting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

first I've heard about it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Born there.

Lots of family around there.

Yes, it's an armpit.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
17, even using your analysis, that does place WL abive Bloomington.
Little help here. is WL bigger than Purdue? Are you saying that cause southern indy sucks or what?

Perhaps there is a side of Lafayette/W. Lafayette I dont drive, but I would much rather live in close proximity to Indy than anything WL area has to offer.

Perhaps Im just a city guy?

Best city?

I'm sure somewhere someone has printed some kind words and a list that compliments Bloomington. Generally every Chamber of Commerce can regurgitate some nice articles and compliments of their city. The truth is both Purdue and IU sit in very mediocre cities. Anyone that sees them as some top garden spot probably hasn't been around the block.

Have you ever seen been to UCLA, or Stanford? Palo Alto and Westwood are both sensational. Ann Arbor is a nice college town, U of Minny is nice. Madison around campus trumps them both.

This post was edited on 12/10 11:19 PM by wingdog

I'll take Tempe over Westwood .

images

Originally posted by Bullwhip Griffith:
Beyond Meth Monthly here were a few that mentioned Bloomongton as a great place to live:

-Cousins loving Cousins Weekly
-Low IQ Annual Review (comes out three times a year)
-"You scored 540 on the SAT now what"pamphlet
-Notre Dames "What to do during basketball season" flyer
laugh.r191677.gif

Well let's see, right off the bat when one googles "best college

campuses", the 1st list, from the best college campuses.com--lists Bloomington 15th of the 50 "most amazing college campuses" in America, the 2nd list--from www.bestcollegeeviews.org lists Bloomington also at # 15 of the 100 most beautiful campuses, Both of these, btw, were the highest rated in the B1G. Forbes magazine(ever heard of them)lists Bloomington as the city with the 3rd best business opportunities in the country. These were just off the top, many many more such accolades exist. So, I'm not sure where you what you are basing your opinions on.

Maybe Appleby was right about it being the armpit of Indiana because he absolutely stunk that day. Kind of looks good on him by talking smack when we sucked.

campuses", the 1st list, from the best college campuses.com--lists Bloomington 15th of the 50 "most amazing college campuses" in America, the 2nd list--from www.bestcollegeeviews.org lists Bloomington also at # 15 of the 100 most beautiful campuses, Both of these, btw, were the highest rated in the B1G. Forbes magazine(ever heard of them)lists Bloomington as the city with the 3rd best business opportunities in the country. These were just off the top, many many more such accolades exist. So, I'm not sure where you what you are basing your opinions on.

Only one of those is a credible source and it only lists Bloomington as a business incubator, which has nothing to do with aesthetics. You fail

Bloomington made the top of this list ... the most financially unequal city in the U.S.

But we already knew that.

Per capita in Indiana, West Lafayette is No. 218. Bloomington is No. 354.

Bloomington looks best around the end of October, when the locals fill the open spaces with those wax teeth for Halloween.

And remember to flush twice ... it's a long way there.

Bloomington most unequal in U.S.

Lafayette / West Lafayette is a dump. There are no restaurants with tablecloths. The purdue campus is the ugliest in the Big Ten. The cute girls have mustaches, and no one has even the most basic of social skills. It's sleepy and backward and devoid of anything redeeming. It's always been that way, and it will always be that way.

This post was edited on 12/14 3:23 PM by Kern County

Lafayette / West Lafayette is a dump. Ther are no restaurants with tablecloths. The purdue campus is the ugliest in the Big Ten. The cute girls have mustaches, and no one has even the most basic of social skills. It's sleepy and backward and devoid of anything redeeming. It's always been that way, and it will always be that way.

Swing and a miss. Good try though hillbilly.

That recruiting class you keep talking up sure looks good! Probanly best to stop posting on that subject, sport. And no one needs to try and run down Laffy / West Laffy / Purdue. It naturally runs itself down. That's the beauty of it!

This post was edited on 12/14 3:22 PM by Kern County

That recruiting class you keep talking up sure looks good! Probanly best to stop posting on that subject, sport. And no one needs to try and run down Laffy / West Laffy / Purdue. It naturally runs itself down. That's the beauty of it!

This post was edited on 12/14 3:22 PM by Kern County

Doesn't ivy tech have finals this week?

I have no idea about Ivy Tech. Are you awaiting IT transfers into the boiler football program? That should help!

I have no idea about Ivy Tech. Are you awaiting IT transfers into the boiler football program? That should help!
Probably too early for you to worry about getting into Ivy Tech since you still haven't met the standards set for 6th graders in ISTEP yet.

Every discussion (which really should just be called arguments) about Purdue and IU always has to revolve around absolutes unfortunately. Purdue is great and IU is terrible and vice versa.

West Lafayette and Bloomington are relatively nice small cities (but as others have said there are other college towns that make them both look very ordinary). Both have their plusses and minuses. IU's campus is very pretty and so is downtown Bloomington. I would say the exact same thing about Purdue and downtown Lafayette (which has really thrived in the last 10-15 years). You can make arguments like Purdue's buildings are all too similar and brick or Bloomington is far too liberal but ether of those examples is splitting hairs in my mind.

Outside of Bloomington is very poor though, the poorest county in Indiana recently and maybe still. Where as Lafayette and Tippecanoe has Alcoa, Caterpillar, Purdue Research Park, Subaru, Wabash National and soon GE Aviation to provide both high salary jobs and many well paying blue collar jobs which are often the lifeblood of a financially sound city. Bloomington has Cook Group and not much else. Obviously both have their universities.

Lafayette certainly has it's low income areas as well, go north of downtown and it becomes very poor and crime more rampant. Outside of Bloomington is often referred to as "Indiana Appalachia" and I would have a hard time disagreeing with that. I would argue that outside on Notre Dame's campus South Bend is worse than Lafayette or Bloomington from what I've seen.

Brilliant response! West Laffy / Laffy / Purdue is still a dump with the cultural significance of a septic tank (for those of you boilers who use the bathroom indoors). Filling your football recruiting class with Ivy Tech players should up your talent level, however.

Originally posted by BoilerGrad02:

Every discussion (which really should just be called arguments) about Purdue and IU always has to revolve around absolutes unfortunately. Purdue is great and IU is terrible and vice versa.

West Lafayette and Bloomington are relatively nice small cities (but as others have said there are other college towns that make them both look very ordinary). Both have their plusses and minuses. IU's campus is very pretty and so is downtown Bloomington. I would say the exact same thing about Purdue and downtown Lafayette (which has really thrived in the last 10-15 years). You can make arguments like Purdue's buildings are all too similar and brick or Bloomington is far too liberal but ether of those examples is splitting hairs in my mind.

Outside of Bloomington is very poor though, the poorest county in Indiana recently and maybe still. Where as Lafayette and Tippecanoe has Alcoa, Caterpillar, Purdue Research Park, Subaru, Wabash National and soon GE Aviation to provide both high salary jobs and many well paying blue collar jobs which are often the lifeblood of a financially sound city. Bloomington has Cook Group and not much else. Obviously both have their universities.

Lafayette certainly has it's low income areas as well, go north of downtown and it becomes very poor and crime more rampant. Outside of Bloomington is often referred to as "Indiana Appalachia" and I would have a hard time disagreeing with that. I would argue that outside on Notre Dame's campus South Bend is worse than Lafayette or Bloomington from what I've seen.
solid post right here

but imo you're wasting your time. kern is only here to troll, and with a single digit iq, she's not doing it successfully

Originally posted by BoilerExpress:

Originally posted by BoilerGrad02:

solid post right here

but imo you're wasting your time. kern is only here to troll, and with a single digit iq, she's not doing it successfully
I put that guy on ignore, I was posting a talking point for the grown-ups.

Brilliant response! West Laffy / Laffy / Purdue is still a dump with the cultural significance of a septic tank (for those of you boilers who use the bathroom indoors). Filling your football recruiting class with Ivy Tech players should up your talent level, however.
Run along now little guy. Does McDonalds pay you to be posting on message boards during your shift?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT