ADVERTISEMENT

I was glad to see that Stacy

boiler800

Senior
Jan 26, 2012
Venice, FL
wrote a story about the "NASTY" Offensive Line being ready to rise. I've been said to be uber positive, when in fact I simply believe this line will be the difference maker and that if they fail to shine, my argument for great improvement will crumble. I'm quite surprised that others aren't jumping on the O-line bandwagon, because this is the best OL we've had in years.

wrote a story about the "NASTY" Offensive Line being ready to rise. I've been said to be uber positive, when in fact I simply believe this line will be the difference maker and that if they fail to shine, my argument for great improvement will crumble. I'm quite surprised that others aren't jumping on the O-line bandwagon, because this is the best OL we've had in years.

Most people are wary of the qb situation

Our QB will have more time to throw, will release the ball quicker, has a stable full of capable receivers, and if our QB is AA, then he'll be in his 3rd year in this system. He'll know what to do more than ever before. We have a couple of amazing back ups. Sindelar was an amazing, record breaking HS Mr Football in KY yet only a 3 star. I think he's our best QB, but AA is the guy to run this offense now.

Hedelin apparently has made huge strides! Heard that through the grapevine. Took him a while to get comfortable. He's in beast mode now
Thanks for the update. Hope you are right. It is not too surprising for it to take up to a year for a JUCO to get up to speed no matter what position he plays.

Our QB will have more time to throw, will release the ball quicker, has a stable full of capable receivers, and if our QB is AA, then he'll be in his 3rd year in this system. He'll know what to do more than ever before. We have a couple of amazing back ups. Sindelar was an amazing, record breaking HS Mr Football in KY yet only a 3 star. I think he's our best QB, but AA is the guy to run this offense now.
I don't get this line of thinking, because:

Rob Henry - most experienced, but not the best QB available; started season, failed, pulled after 5 games for Etling; Etling had very marginal success

Danny Etling - most experienced, but not the best QB available; started season, failed, pulled after 4 or 5 games for Appleby; Appleby was an improvement, but his production skidded as the season wore on

Austin Appleby - most experienced, but not the best QB available; start season? will likely fail, will be pulled after 4 or 5 games for Sindelar or Blough

You don't see a pattern of coaching miscalculation/mismanagement here?

If Sindelar or Blough are better QBs, why the hell wouldn't you play them immediately? With Sindelar, the only reason would be because he's still not fully healed from his ACL injury.

3 years in this offense is the reason why AA is QB and your entire post assumes AA will fail. This team is much improved, and the changes in the offense will make us much more dangerous.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
3 years in this offense is the reason why AA is QB and your entire post assumes AA will fail. This team is much improved, and the changes in the offense will make us much more dangerous.

You can't critique someone's statement for speculating AA won't be effective and then go on to speculate that the team is "much improved" but state it like it's a fact. Both assumptions have just as much validity at this point in time.

One way or the other we will all find out 1) if we have a better O-line or not, one that will allow us to do more and different things on Off, 2) IF we have that better line, is AA getting the ball to the open receiver on time 3) if our receivers can get separation and catch the ball and/or 4) if we have a good or poorly designed offense to take advantage of whatever turns out to be our strength on offense this year!

You can't critique someone's statement for speculating AA won't be effective and then go on to speculate that the team is "much improved" but state it like it's a fact. Both assumptions have just as much validity at this point in time.
He and I have different opinions, but many important people in positions to know do share my opinion. This board is here to allow us to debate different sides of the story, while I respect others opinions, I do believe this line will be real good. I believe AA will be really good at running this offense. Why? 3 years of reps is why. Coach Hazell, Bridge, Shoop, the OL players and many people covering this team feel the line be anywhere from really good to a strong point. I am not a lone wolf standing alone out there on this one. I understand the opposing point of views, I just don't agree.

Reactions: rbaggie
Agreed. I actually have something of a track record to back up my point-of-view. He doesn't.

He and I have different opinions, but many important people in positions to know do share my opinion. This board is here to allow us to debate different sides of the story, while I respect others opinions, I do believe this line will be real good. I believe AA will be really good at running this offense. Why? 3 years of reps is why. Coach Hazell, Bridge, Shoop, the OL players and many people covering this team feel the line be anywhere from really good to a strong point. I am not a lone wolf standing alone out there on this one. I understand the opposing point of views, I just don't agree.

Who are the important people?

boiler800,

I see where you're coming from, but what makes the staff think that Appleby is the answer at QB and the best equipped to run the offense, good OL or not? Experience should not be the only determining factor. Some kids are just better at what they do than others. Some have better arms, have better feet, have better intangibles, or have a better track record of production and winning in the past. From what I can tell, Appleby didn't have great production in HS (despite making Elite 11) and did not lead successful HS teams, and his production at Purdue has been spotty, too, thus far. Sindelar has a track record of winning and putting up huge numbers in the past. I subscribe to the philosophy that past performance is a good predictor of future performance.

boiler800,

I see where you're coming from, but what makes the staff think that Appleby is the answer at QB and the best equipped to run the offense, good OL or not? Experience should not be the only determining factor. Some kids are just better at what they do than others. Some have better arms, have better feet, have better intangibles, or have a better track record of production and winning in the past. From what I can tell, Appleby didn't have great production in HS (despite making Elite 11) and did not lead successful HS teams, and his production at Purdue has been spotty, too, thus far. Sindelar has a track record of winning and putting up huge numbers in the past. I subscribe to the philosophy that past performance is a good predictor of future performance.
SDBoiler I agree that Sindelar is our best QB for all the reasons you stated. If he is smart and poised enough to just step in and take over this offense then you won't hear me bitching. I hope we have the luxury of redshirting him so he can be fully recovered and learn this offense by heart. It has often been discussed on here that Shoops offense is an offense that is difficult to learn. If that is true, then AA should be very comfortable in running it now. I think he looked good this spring, and spring is the only thing to go on with this new offense. I understand all the uncomfortable feelings some guys have. I think we have 3 really good QB's. They all are amazing individuals. AA is my pick for the reasons I've stated, but whoever the coaches choose, will be fine with me. I'm not at practice and they are. I trust in them to do what's best.

Who are the important people?
Nat100, I realize that you often talk about the 4-20 record and you don't have confidence in our coaches...but the important people are: Coach Hazell, Bridge, Shoop, the OL players and many people covering the team.​

Last edited:
Hazell has proven to be a lot of talk without much to back it up.

They should be better, but reps only do so much. Either you have talent or you dont. The line has talent to be adequate. We will see at the QB position.

Reactions: BoilersRock
Nat100, I realie that you often talk about the 4-20 record and you don't have confidence in our coaches...but the important people are: Coach Hazell, Bridge, Shoop, the OL players and many people covering the team.​
Boiler800,

I am impressed with the staff that Hazell has assembled at Purdue. On paper at least, this staff has a very strong, very winning pedigree for the most part. Guys like Hudson, Bridge, Malone, Taver Johnson, Coach Carter, Freeman, Williams, and Parker make for an excellent staff. This staff should be doing better than it has so far IMHO. Can't really blame Malone because he just got to Purdue this spring.

I will agree that Sindelar look s good on HS tape but to say he is the answer already this fall is a reach?

AA played in arguably one of the powerhouse conferences in HS in Ohio-a football state in terms of tradition, history, recruiting, ect

Huge numbers Sindelar put up at Caldwell County HS are impressive but its 2A level in rural western KY. I would not say past production at HS level to always be an indicator necessarily of future success. If that were true Brandon Hance would now be in the College FB HOF?

SDBoiler I agree that Sindelar is our best QB for all the reasons you stated. If he is smart and poised enough to just step in and take over this offense then you won't hear me bitching. I hope we have the luxury of redshirting him so he can be fully recovered and learn this offense by heart. It has often been discussed on here that Shoops offense is an offense that is difficult to learn. If that is true, then AA should be very comfortable in running it now. I think he looked good this spring, and spring is the only thing to go on with this new offense. I understand all the uncomfortable feelings some guys have. I think we have 3 really good QB's. They all are amazing individuals. AA is my pick for the reasons I've stated, but whoever the coaches choose, will be fine with me. I'm not at practice and they are. I trust in them to do what's best.

Thanks for the update. Hope you are right. It is not too surprising for it to take up to a year for a JUCO to get up to speed no matter what position he plays.

Was in the story that I wrote with a quote from Kugler ...

Ya know, we write stuff like that, facts and give insight from players and coaches and stuff, for the people who pay for it. ;)

Coming to this conversation late, Im so sick of young/inexperienced qbs.

We've been putting up with this junk since Painter. Shirt Sindelar. I dont care how good he is. I want a guy that really gets the offense, can audible, and progress through reads.

I fully believe we are a worse team today for the constant shuffling of players and all the youth on the field. They need to be figuring this stuff out in the offseason.

Beyond that, 800 is just amped for the season. Thats great and all, and I dont think hes going to really listen to anything to the contrary. Thats cool. Its kind of refreshing to have that kind of optimism around. I just hope he doesnt bail if it falls apart.

800 you do realize that nearly identical articles were written each year under Haz about how good the oline was? I agree the line should be good, but this article means nothing.

Coming to this conversation late, Im so sick of young/inexperienced qbs.

We've been putting up with this junk since Painter. Shirt Sindelar. I dont care how good he is. I want a guy that really gets the offense, can audible, and progress through reads.

I fully believe we are a worse team today for the constant shuffling of players and all the youth on the field. They need to be figuring this stuff out in the offseason.

Beyond that, 800 is just amped for the season. Thats great and all, and I dont think hes going to really listen to anything to the contrary. Thats cool. Its kind of refreshing to have that kind of optimism around. I just hope he doesnt bail if it falls apart.

800 you do realize that nearly identical articles were written each year under Haz about how good the oline was? I agree the line should be good, but this article means nothing.

Who wrote the article(s) the first two years about how good the O-line was going to be?

Hazell actually has been pretty honest how none of the skill position players could be evaluated those first two years because the OL was, in fact, not very good.

When you don't have first hand knowledge and read coach comments, you can learn a lot about what they say and also what they don't say.
And Hazell hasn't been hyping the Oline before, anywhere I could find in print. Little boys grow up into strong men. The youth movement is slowing and the roster is building nicely. I am also amped for the season.

Last edited:
Who wrote the article(s) the first two years about how good the O-line was going to be?

Hazell actually has been pretty honest how none of the skill position players could be evaluated those first two years because the OL was, in fact, not very good.

Thanks. Its nice when you put our debates to rest like that.

Still pretty sure I read articles where the oline was saying they were highly confident they could execute the different offense and be more physical in 2013, then another in 2014 stating they took their punches and it was time to give them back.

Just going off of what Ive read for free, you guys understandably dont publish much not positive. Im not criticizing that, nor am I saying you are overly positive.

In general, I agree the line should be pretty good this year. Im expecting the best since 09, and wont be surprised if its better than that. However, him jumping on here and saying 'see heres a positive preseason article, it must be true' is laughable.

Thanks. Its nice when you put our debates to rest like that.

Still pretty sure I read articles where the oline was saying they were highly confident they could execute the different offense and be more physical in 2013, then another in 2014 stating they took their punches and it was time to give them back.

Just going off of what Ive read for free, you guys understandably dont publish much not positive. Im not criticizing that, nor am I saying you are overly positive.

In general, I agree the line should be pretty good this year. Im expecting the best since 09, and wont be surprised if its better than that. However, him jumping on here and saying 'see heres a positive preseason article, it must be true' is laughable.

We certainly have no edict to publish positive things. It just so happens that the O-line should be pretty good this year, so that's kind of positive. Someone just as easily could have read anything we've written about the defensive ends, and you'd be leaving with another vibe.

The thing with all the praise at this time of year, though, and all the optimism? Because they're not actually playing games now, it's kind of all there is. To TALK about things -- how workouts are going (and who's going to say not well?), how much "potential" there is -- because we ask them and because they can't walk the walk right now.

But here's the thing with that talk: Players and coaches know we can (and will) come back in the fall if things aren't going well and ask them about those exact comments. "Hey, you thought your O-line was going to be a strength, but it's given up eight sacks the first three games. What's wrong?" "Hey, you said your offense could be dangerous this fall, but you haven't scored more than 21 points in a game. What's up?" Ya know?

Kinda the game we play at this time of year before there's any real proving to be done.

It's the fun part, but it's certainly not the "real" part either, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler800
We certainly have no edict to publish positive things. It just so happens that the O-line should be pretty good this year, so that's kind of positive. Someone just as easily could have read anything we've written about the defensive ends, and you'd be leaving with another vibe.

The thing with all the praise at this time of year, though, and all the optimism? Because they're not actually playing games now, it's kind of all there is. To TALK about things -- how workouts are going (and who's going to say not well?), how much "potential" there is -- because we ask them and because they can't walk the walk right now.

But here's the thing with that talk: Players and coaches know we can (and will) come back in the fall if things aren't going well and ask them about those exact comments. "Hey, you thought your O-line was going to be a strength, but it's given up eight sacks the first three games. What's wrong?" "Hey, you said your offense could be dangerous this fall, but you haven't scored more than 21 points in a game. What's up?" Ya know?

Kinda the game we play at this time of year before there's any real proving to be done.

It's the fun part, but it's certainly not the "real" part either, if that makes sense.
When there are articles about how awesome our TEs and RBs are going to be, then I'll buy the GBI blowing smoke up our butts sentiment, but I doubt they are coming. Will we get "lots to prove" or "looking to silence the naysayers" articles? Sure, but that is far from trying to sell us on those units being even below average for the upcoming season.

I'm still questioning just why in the hell many seem to be counting the WR position as solid, as both GBI and many posters have fallen into that camp. Not sure I see it with Anthrop coming off of injury and Knauf gone. I have more faith in Appleby than most seem to (given the number of people who seem to think that Blough or even Sindelar will replace him mid season) but I still worry he won't have consistency in the guys he is throwing to, whether he has more time to throw from the line or a hurry up offense to help keep defenses guessing.

Seems likely we will find a way to get a respectable amount out of the running game even without a proven primary ball carrier but we will have to be one of the league's best passing units even to get to 5 wins, let alone to finally get over the hump and back to a low tier bowl game.

GBI blowing smoke up our butts sentiment

Im not even trying to say that nor am I trying to focus on the role of the media in this at all.

Im saying everything the team says will be positive about the team. So when Haz, or anyone, says something like 'We'd be crazy to not give the ball to Mostert 25 times a game', 'Rob Henry can manage this offense effectively', its just preseason talk. Like shes saying, its all anyone can do till kickoff.

Sure the oline could actually be good. Thats not the point. The point is all things that get compliments in June dont get them in October.

Players and coaches have talked a lot the last two years. Did gbi question Russell about his dpoy comments?

The only reason I am going out on a limb here, is the schedule is a little more favorable this year. Some of the BIG teams are losing some key players! Plus who is going to get "JACKED" up to play us this year? We just may sneak out a few wins due to teams over looking us! 5-7 campaign looks very likely.............maybe 6-6!

Reactions: boiler800
When there are articles about how awesome our TEs and RBs are going to be, then I'll buy the GBI blowing smoke up our butts sentiment, but I doubt they are coming. Will we get "lots to prove" or "looking to silence the naysayers" articles? Sure, but that is far from trying to sell us on those units being even below average for the upcoming season.

I'm still questioning just why in the hell many seem to be counting the WR position as solid, as both GBI and many posters have fallen into that camp. Not sure I see it with Anthrop coming off of injury and Knauf gone. I have more faith in Appleby than most seem to (given the number of people who seem to think that Blough or even Sindelar will replace him mid season) but I still worry he won't have consistency in the guys he is throwing to, whether he has more time to throw from the line or a hurry up offense to help keep defenses guessing.

Seems likely we will find a way to get a respectable amount out of the running game even without a proven primary ball carrier but we will have to be one of the league's best passing units even to get to 5 wins, let alone to finally get over the hump and back to a low tier bowl game.

RRanney you always seem to be spot on. Well said

Players and coaches have talked a lot the last two years. Did gbi question Russell about his dpoy comments?

Of course we asked him about his high expectations vs. statistics.

Re-read the Exit Interview. I feel confident with the questions I asked him in there, specifically mentioning his goal to have double-digit sacks as a senior.

Last edited:

BTW, there will be an article on the site today about the receivers. They know they have a lot to prove. Of course, they think they have players who can produce. I like some of them, eager to see others.

BTW, there will be an article on the site today about the receivers. They know they have a lot to prove. Of course, they think they have players who can produce. I like some of them, eager to see others.
I hate to say it, but this program has the feel of IU's program to me, in many ways. Prior to the season, IU coaches, players, and fans all talk about how they are just about to turn the corner and start winning, and they really never do. (One bowl game since 1993!) Under Hazell, we've heard for three pre-seasons how good the teams could be, and then they won 4 games total and 1 game against a Power 5 conference (Illinois).

I want to believe what they are saying, but this is a case where "I'll believe it when I see it". This program has a lot to prove. Forget the hype, just start winning games.

Im not even trying to say that nor am I trying to focus on the role of the media in this at all.

Im saying everything the team says will be positive about the team. So when Haz, or anyone, says something like 'We'd be crazy to not give the ball to Mostert 25 times a game', 'Rob Henry can manage this offense effectively', its just preseason talk. Like shes saying, its all anyone can do till kickoff.

Sure the oline could actually be good. Thats not the point. The point is all things that get compliments in June dont get them in October.

Apparently Yancey has gotten his out of his ass and is out this year to silence the doubters. Having him back up to par will be very valuable.

Marshall also has stepped up. But I'm with you on the receiving corps. They gotta show me before I'll sing that units praise or hype

I hate to say it, but this program has the feel of IU's program to me, in many ways. Prior to the season, IU coaches, players, and fans all talk about how they are just about to turn the corner and start winning, and they really never do. (One bowl game since 1993!) Under Hazell, we've heard for three pre-seasons how good the teams could be, and then they won 4 games total and 1 game against a Power 5 conference (Illinois).

I want to believe what they are saying, but this is a case where "I'll believe it when I see it". This program has a lot to prove. Forget the hype, just start winning games.

That's not true. 2013 was known that it was possible to be a brutal year. Obviously they're always going to make it more cheerful in the press clippings.

2014 we were told we'd be much improved. We actually were. Unfortunately injuries and depth caught up to us at the end and made people forget the progress.

2015. More improvement with chance to sustain

Hazell actually is pretty honest

Apparently Yancey has gotten his out of his ass and is out this year to silence the doubters. Having him back up to par will be very valuable.

Marshall also has stepped up. But I'm with you on the receiving corps. They gotta show me before I'll sing that units praise or hype

Yeah, I thought DeAngelo was really honest and open about his sophomore season.

That's not true. 2013 was known that it was possible to be a brutal year. Obviously they're always going to make it more cheerful in the press clippings.

2014 we were told we'd be much improved. We actually were. Unfortunately injuries and depth caught up to us at the end and made people forget the progress.

2015. More improvement with chance to sustain

Hazell actually is pretty honest

Prior to 2013 season, there was a fair amount of talk with the media that Purdue would be competitive. Now maybe within the walls of the football complex they knew better, but they certainly didn't lead anyone to believe prior to the season that things would be that bad.
Comparing any season to the abortion that was 2013 is likely to show significant improvement. Yet 2014 was a 3 win season. That just tells you how bad 2013 was. Saying that injuries were why Purdue faltered in 2014 is bogus. Every team has injuries, but some just deal with them better.

Last year we were improved, but the 14-0 spring game left me nervous going into the season. I've watched the spring game (2015) several times and this offense is better in every way...yes I know, it's only a spring game, but the players still have to block, run, throw and catch. I think that many areas of this team look much improved and there is depth on offense, everywhere but TE. Watch the video you'll see across the board improvement.

Prior to 2013 season, there was a fair amount of talk with the media that Purdue would be competitive. Now maybe within the walls of the football complex they knew better, but they certainly didn't lead anyone to believe prior to the season that things would be that bad.
Comparing any season to the abortion that was 2013 is likely to show significant improvement. Yet 2014 was a 3 win season. That just tells you how bad 2013 was. Saying that injuries were why Purdue faltered in 2014 is bogus. Every team has injuries, but some just deal with them better.

Yes every team deals with injuries. This is where depth comes in. Teams that have more depth and talent can sustain. However when you don't have the depth or talent losing someone like Anthrop is huge. Hell we basically were playing with four offensive lineman the last two years. It's all relative. Not everything is on an equal playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT