ADVERTISEMENT

I really have a good feeling

Feb 26, 2007
That Stephens is gonna be a total stud next year with all this height and talent down low. If he's healthy, he could be the key to us going a long way in the conference and in the tourney. Teams are gonna try to double and triple us down low and he's gonna have a ton of open shots and his range is amazing. Throw in Mathias and Cline and I think this team is gonna be really, really special. For some reason I'm thinking Davis gets some play at point?

Stephens' talent down low? What the hell does that mean?

I hope he's a terror beyond the arc next season and diversifies his offensive game a little.

I think Stephens issue is between his ears, not with any physical ailment.

I agree with this. Plus, I think he has a small flaw in his shot mechanics. His hand is under the ball and not behind it. It is harder to be consistent with this than if his hand is more behind the ball before it starts to go forward through the release point. That can account for some of his shots going off side to side as well as short or long. This is evident on free throws, too.

I hope he's a terror beyond the arc next season and diversifies his offensive game a little.

I think the op is trying to say the outside shots would be more available with defenses worrying about inside game.

I think this is going to be a really good team for the next couple years. I hope we can keep the recruiting momentum running. If I am correct about what happened after the baby Boiler class, then I think we have turned the corner, and will be a perenial contender in the BIG.

While this team is going to be good, I think they will have their Achilles Heel. Fast, shifty, driving guards that are high scorers will be difficult for this long, and hence slow-of-foot team to guard well. I can see us pushed by team like last year's Cincinnati. We will need to be able to shut off the other players and out score the guard to win. (See the Indiana games from last year).

:cool:

I think Stephens, Mathias, and Edwards all have unlimited potential to how good they could be this year between their experience, working on their shot in the offseason, and Cline pushing them for PT. Hard not to be excited about the possibilities of next year's team.

I think Stephens issue is between his ears, not with any physical ailment.
Stephens was 18-34 from three before the gruesome finger dislocation. I have no doubt that the injury was a factor both physically and mentally. If he can stay healthy, he can be lethal from long range.

And another nugget to chew on. Even with his injury issues his first two years, he's on pace to finish in the Top 10 in B1G history in three pointers made.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I think the op is trying to say the outside shots would be more available with defenses worrying about inside game.
The outside shot was there last season. I hope we don' t see a lot of force feeding it to the bigs. Every opponent will give the shooters plenty of room until they start shooting. Could be a special season

You miss quoted him. He said "this talent down low"

Not "Stephens talent down low"

You must really want to argue when you jump on something like that without having read it properly to begin with.

That Stephens is gonna be a total stud next year with all this height and talent down low. If he's healthy, he could be the key to us going a long way in the conference and in the tourney. Teams are gonna try to double and triple us down low and he's gonna have a ton of open shots and his range is amazing. Throw in Mathias and Cline and I think this team is gonna be really, really special. For some reason I'm thinking Davis gets some play at point?

I get that feeling also. Time will tell but I think you're right. Reading his quotes about how unhappy he was with his overall play this year, I suspect he'll be on a mission to turn it around. He's harder on himself than we are (most anyway).

Then again maybe that feeling I'm getting is from the beautiful lady in finance who keeps walking by my office. Man she is nice. These feelings are so confusing sometimes.

Gem,

You should ask her if she thinks you have an outside shot (with her)...
Good one with the outside shot reference since we were talking about Stephens. She would think I'm a nut since she's about 20 years younger than me. I would put my money on Stephens getting his shot down first.. But at least I still flutter. I'm worried about the day I don't.

I apologize if this was already stated but I think which ever shooter proves themselves to be the best at feeding the big men will be the one who will get the most time this year as long as they keep turnovers down. The offense is going to have to go through the front court this year and for all of the shooters on this team, their best friend is going to be that interior pass and the eventual kick back out. They should be dreaming about raining threes with the assist from the front court.

He was easily my favorite player last year even though he disappeared down the stretch. There were some early games where we were still finding our feet that he played really well.

I like the cut of that mans jib

I apologize if this was already stated but I think which ever shooter proves themselves to be the best at feeding the big men will be the one who will get the most time this year as long as they keep turnovers down. The offense is going to have to go through the front court this year and for all of the shooters on this team, their best friend is going to be that interior pass and the eventual kick back out. They should be dreaming about raining threes with the assist from the front court.

Excellent observation. If this team is anything other than an inside, out team first team, we've/it's got real problems. With this team, if I go/look inside first, [option, vast majority of times, wear it out, until they PROVE they can consistantly stop it!] few teams will beat this Purdue team. Force the opposition to prove they can stop us inside first, before taking too many 22+ footers & beyond. I can't speak for others, but my shooting pecentage is a hell of a lot better/higher from 8' & in, than from 15' & out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, & if you can score from 5', why take it from 25'? I'll change this plan, when a player can successfully, consistantly shoot a higher % from 22, than from 6'or 8'. Wake me when that/if that ever happens. Until then, go down low, first, early & often, & make em' prove they can stop it first, before you go launching too many quick 22'ers & beyond.

There will be times for the 3 point shot for this team, this season, but, with THIS team, I'd go low, early & often first. I'll bet our scoring percentage is better from 8' & in, than 18' & out. Why make it more difficult than it has to be? It's not a complicated game.

Last edited:
Excellent observation. If this team is anything other than an inside, out team first team, we've/it's got real problems. With this team, if I go/look inside first, [option, vast majority of times, wear it out, until they PROVE they can consistantly stop it!] few teams will beat this Purdue team. Force the opposition to prove they can stop us inside first, before taking too many 22+ footers & beyond. I can't speak for others, but my shooting pecentage is a hell of a lot better/higher from 8' & in, than from 15' & out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, & if you can score from 5', why take it from 25'? I'll change this plan, when a player can successfully, consistantly shoot a higher % from 22, than from 6'or 8'. Wake me when that/if that ever happens. Until then, go down low, first, early & often, & make em' prove they can stop it first, before you go launching too many quick 22'ers & beyond.

There will be times for the 3 point shot for this team, this season, but, with THIS team, I'd go low, early & often first. I'll bet our scoring percentage is better from 8' & in, than 18' & out. Why make it more difficult than it has to be? It's not a complicated game.
in regards to his shot mechanics, he has a tendency to kick out the elbow instead of having it point towards the rim on his shot.

Personally, I think RD is a very underrated and under appreciated shooter. He hit some clutch 3's last year as the shot clock was running down. He would be my choice at the FT line in a pressure situation as well, the Cincy game aside.

I've got a feeling...that this years gonna be a great year...I've gotta feeling that this years gonna be a great, great year!

I agree with the inside out approach, but when opponents pack it in, Purdue will need to prove it can hit from outside. As an example, the Memphis Grizzlies had a dominant inside game this season, but when Golden State decided to pack it in and concede the three, they couldn't convert from outside.

Count me among those who think that Stephens' finger injury had a huge impact on this past season. I think that he will have a great season as a junior, if he can stay healthy. He and Mathias are critical to Purdue's success this coming season.

I agree with this. Plus, I think he has a small flaw in his shot mechanics. His hand is under the ball and not behind it. It is harder to be consistent with this than if his hand is more behind the ball before it starts to go forward through the release point. That can account for some of his shots going off side to side as well as short or long. This is evident on free throws, too.
Hilarious.

Count me among those who think that Stephens' finger injury had a huge impact on this past season. I think that he will have a great season as a junior, if he can stay healthy. He and Mathias are critical to Purdue's success this coming season.
BD, I agree completely.

Mathias started the year hurt and overcoming an illness and Stephens shined. Stephens got hurt about the time Mathias was getting his feet underneath him and Mathias stepped in that guard spot.

With both healthy it is going to be one heck of a battle for playing time. It will be hard to keep one or the other off the floor at all times. But where?

I agree with the inside out approach, but when opponents pack it in, Purdue will need to prove it can hit from outside. As an example, the Memphis Grizzlies had a dominant inside game this season, but when Golden State decided to pack it in and concede the three, they couldn't convert from outside.

That's precisely why our guard play [in particular, point guard] is so very important. There are plenty of times in each game when the post players down low are open, but for brief periods at a time. In those brief periods, the guard/player outside must find the open post player, in that short/brief period. That's the critical timing between outside player/guard & post player that determines much of the success of not only the team's inside play, but the success of the team in the game itself. The guards must not spend too much time [especially with the new 30 sec. shot clock this season] worrying about getting his pocket picked, and be able to zip in that quick, precise entry pass to the post, with one or two guards trying to undress him & strip him at the same time. Court sense/vision/awareness, the ability to deliver that entry pass, with opposing guards trying their best to pick your pocket, or make you/your team commit a /anouther turnover, is vital/crucial to the team's success. There were too many times last season Hammons [& at times Haas] were plenty open enough, & in great scoring position, but the guards/outside player with the ball, couldn't get him the ball in that short/brief window available. THAT MUST change this season, for the better, for this team to get where it wants to be, at the end of the game, & end of this season.

Point guard for this team, will be the most critical position for the success & potential success this team enjoys. Get that poition straightened out first & early, & the rest of the problems will be minor in comparison.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT