ADVERTISEMENT

How many games needed to lose to switch QB's this yr?

Dec 23, 2014
I was watching reruns on ESPN today about Tom Brady while at Michigan. Michigan's coach benched Tom Brady before his senior season after a fantastic prior season where he won 10 out of 11 games against a very good big ten schedule. Michigan got Drew Henson and their coach benched Brady just to give the new kid a chance merely because of his upside potential. Now even though I myself disagreed with that decision because we are talking about Tom Brady here, it shows the guts Carr had to make that team win by at least rolling the dice with the new guy knowing full well Brady is a well demonstrated talent. As the season progressed Brady was put back out there when Drew started getting exposed for his then lack of ability to handle the pressure and Brady went on to lead them in a BCS victory against Alabama.

To the contrary Purdue has the most incredibly ineffective stubbornness to make any changes at all to QB during the season until utter unsalvageable season ending disaster ensues first and the fans have to endure just absolutely horrendous play at the position since. Sure we had a diamond in the rough with Brees, but every QB since has been just disastrous out there. Orton passed well and had good stats but never won a thing but a chicken wing. Painter's play was same old same old. And since those two it has been basically unspeakable at the QB position in the worst kind of way, and unbelievable recruit selections by the coaches such as the outright rejection of Arron Rodgers, which is astounding. I looked at tape on Rodgers myself and was overwhelmingly impressed, and can't fathom how Purdue came to the conclusion to reject Rodgers. To me it shows the staff didn't know what the hell they were doing at that time in the way of recruiting and it was the materialization of these costly decisions that has put the program so far off the radar we can't pickup a single 4star football recruit in nearly a decade, while having to play teams that have their entire rosters full of 4star recruits at all positions. And I am still disappointed at the nuclear meltdown this team was dealt out there last year at QB with just horribly bad thrown balls, incompletions that boggle the mind, reads that are beyond bad, and one interception after the other, tipped balls, poor drop backs, and just outright lack of leadership. Winning teams will pull a QB after one bad performance because the team was let down. That should be enough in my mind to give a shot to someone else. So I dare ask this question. How many losses will it take to put in Blough? I mean what will it take? 4 losses in a row by 20 points each? Why the mystery or delay in the action required. This is about putting the best guy out there as fast as possible without delay. What is it going to take? Why traumatize the fans any further? How many 5 yard passes to tailbacks running a simple roll route do we need to see thrown over their heads, or worse ran back for pick 6's? How many more lethargic drives do we got to see turn into flopped punts against teams like Bowling Green or some other no-name school in the MAC who will end up winning the game likely on a missed field goal right after an incomplete pass 10 yards out of bounds on the previous play.

I say put in Blough and put him in now.
This post was edited on 4/19 8:39 PM by Foolmeoncefan

So let met get this straight, In 2001, you reviewed tape of Aaron Rodgers and would have been the only D1 coach to offer him a scholarship. Read that again, ONLY.

They in 2002, when we had Orton and Kirsch returning, you would have been the only other coach beside Tedford to offer him?

Nice try skippy

As a Packer fan I think Rodgers is great,but Purdue sure wasn't the only school that overlooked him coming out of high school.
Who really thinks Orton wasn't any good for Purdue?
This post was edited on 4/19 8:55 PM by tigerchump

Originally posted by tigerchump:

As a Packer fan I think Rodgers is great,but Purdue sure wasn't the only school that overlooked him coming out of high school.
Who really thinks Orton wasn't any good for Purdue?
This post was edited on 4/19 8:55 PM by tigerchump

Doesn't fit his agenda
Posted from Rivals Mobile

To answer your question towards the end of your post! Could be none, say we lose the first three by having Defensive lapses instead of Offensive lapses! Why change QB's in that case?

IMO, AA still clearly is getting the short end of the Purdue QB stick. Last spring and fall DE was taking the majority of the reps with the #1's after AA was by-passed at the end of the 2013 season. This spring once again the reps with the #1 unit has been now split between 3 QB's!

Hazell and Shoop are insane if that is helping AA or any QB they believe is their #1 going into the 2015 season and as they continue to look to someone else again the QB's confidence and the #1 unit's performance will suffer!

If those two can't decide and ride with a #1 after a summer of workouts entering the fall practice we are in trouble again! If they do commit to a #1 first and foremost, give that #1 most of the practice reps then if we lay an offensive bomb again in the early games then it would be time to A) Fire their O Coordinator and QB Coach and B) go with the youth for the remainder of the year!

This spring, AA actually has taken the majority of the #1 reps and I would say it isn't even close. I also don't think he has taken any #3 snaps either and given that at some point he will play with #2's in games this season, it isn't bad to have him taking #2 snaps in the spring.

The issue has been that none of the QB's have ever made a large enough step and taken a hold of the position. When it seems as though they have, they regress to the point that places the position at essentially a push between the two. Now, this spring it seems as though AA and Blough have pushed clearly ahead of Etling and with Sindelar waiting in the wings, I wouldn't blame him for transferring at all to get a shot at pt.

I know I read early on in the Spring practice reports that AA was rotating with the 2's and I believe the 3's from the GBI reports on this site!

That may have changed as the 14 days wore on but with only 14 days how can you split the reps among three QB's when our main problems with our offense has been consistency, throwing long and 2nd half offensive adjustments?

Upcoming summer workouts with QB's throwing to WR's and backs....you build confidence, consistency and success with one not two of three, IMO!

They rotated early. Didnt seem to rotate as much the last 2 weeks.

the DE situation seems to be like the Bryson Scott one ( for different reasons) but it's time to make a move after two yrs. and get PT elsewhere.

Tom Brady started every game in 1998 and 1999. He attempted 618 passes to Henson's 134. He was captain and MVP of the 1999 team. They did platoon QBs over the first 5 games of the 1999 season, but Brady still took a majority of the snaps.

How is this "getting benched"?

Stout generally when one doesn't play because another replaces them generally refers to being benched. Brady was batting cleanup. Nobody here denies Brady coming in cleaning up the mess. The point is Michigan replaces QBs for winning ten games prior season while Purdue gives the starting job to guys who throw 3 picks to a lousy IU team and can't toss 50 percent with 5 yard rollout passes making up 90 percent of the playbook. Sorry, not impressed with three picks and and a hundred something yards to the worst defensive team in America.

This post was edited on 4/20 9:03 PM by Foolmeoncefan

Stout generally when one doesn't play because another replaces them generally refers to being benched. Brady was batting cleanup. Nobody here denies Brady coming in cleaning up the mess. The point is Michigan replaces QBs for winning ten games prior season

But they didn't, he started every game.

while Purdue gives the starting job to guys who throw 3 picks to a lousy IU team and can't toss 50 percent with 5 yard rollout passes making up 90 percent of the playbook. Sorry, not impressed with three picks and and a hundred something yards to the worst defensive team in America.

I don't disagree that the decision making by the coaches in picking a QB is disappointing.

This is a coaching issue not a QB talent issue.

Stout generally when one doesn't play because another replaces them generally refers to being benched. Brady was batting cleanup. Nobody here denies Brady coming in cleaning up the mess. The point is Michigan replaces QBs for winning ten games prior season while Purdue gives the starting job to guys who throw 3 picks to a lousy IU team and can't toss 50 percent with 5 yard rollout passes making up 90 percent of the playbook. Sorry, not impressed with three picks and and a hundred something yards to the worst defensive team in America.

Were you on this site last fall? There were countless threads pleading for AA to start over DE. I don't recall seeing you argue to stick with DE. Coaches eventually pulled the trigger and we all realized why the coaches initially preferred DE.

It's funny, despite how much I want Blough to be the guy I want Appleby to start and be our guy just so we can have a conistent guy at qb.

It's funny, despite how much I want Blough to be the guy I want Appleby to start and be our guy just so we can have a conistent guy at qb.

Agreed. Very few QBs can come in a be studs as a RS freshman. If AA can improve and let Blough further develop I think it is best for the program. What I don't want is more mediocre play and a constant rotation of who's playing.

Reactions: JBoiler14
Agreed. Very few QBs can come in a be studs as a RS freshman. If AA can improve and let Blough further develop I think it is best for the program. What I don't want is more mediocre play and a constant rotation of who's playing.

Agree fully with you on the rotation of mediocre QB play and how that has hurt development. I wonder had AA been given the reigns in Hazel's first season and allowed Danny Etling to work as a RS within the scout team offense if the program wouldn't be better off right now as a whole. Letting AA get mostly full season of starts when it was painfully obvious the team wouldn't compete much would pay dividends now to AA's experience and development. Now, I don't think you can throw Sindelar in to the fire after a blown knee so he should be allowed to run the scout offense and gain great experience in live situations as he missed those chances in the spring. Let Blough gain the experience this season as the primary backup to AA and get him in to spots when Purdue is either up or down big AND where AA can't gain from the additional reps.

The ideal situation would be to have AA gain enough to lock the job down for this season and next while allowing Blough and Sindelar to gain the experience necessary to be successful when Austin graduates. That leaves the ability to not be of primary concern to find a QB with the 2015-2016 class and attempt to load up on as much ability in other positions UNLESS you can get a player who is at or near the top of the board for QB prospects. Then the staff goes all in on one of their top QB targets to replace Sindelar or Blough and be given a year to RS and another year (or two) to develop.

And you know they said Blough has struggled with ball security, why not give him time to get that corrected, that way he doesn't have to be criticized and learn in games that matter. Let him come in when he is truly ready to be a great QB

I was watching reruns on ESPN today about Tom Brady while at Michigan. Michigan's coach benched Tom Brady before his senior season after a fantastic prior season where he won 10 out of 11 games against a very good big ten schedule. Michigan got Drew Henson and their coach benched Brady just to give the new kid a chance merely because of his upside potential. Now even though I myself disagreed with that decision because we are talking about Tom Brady here, it shows the guts Carr had to make that team win by at least rolling the dice with the new guy knowing full well Brady is a well demonstrated talent. As the season progressed Brady was put back out there when Drew started getting exposed for his then lack of ability to handle the pressure and Brady went on to lead them in a BCS victory against Alabama.

To the contrary Purdue has the most incredibly ineffective stubbornness to make any changes at all to QB during the season until utter unsalvageable season ending disaster ensues first and the fans have to endure just absolutely horrendous play at the position since. Sure we had a diamond in the rough with Brees, but every QB since has been just disastrous out there. Orton passed well and had good stats but never won a thing but a chicken wing. Painter's play was same old same old. And since those two it has been basically unspeakable at the QB position in the worst kind of way, and unbelievable recruit selections by the coaches such as the outright rejection of Arron Rodgers, which is astounding. I looked at tape on Rodgers myself and was overwhelmingly impressed, and can't fathom how Purdue came to the conclusion to reject Rodgers. To me it shows the staff didn't know what the hell they were doing at that time in the way of recruiting and it was the materialization of these costly decisions that has put the program so far off the radar we can't pickup a single 4star football recruit in nearly a decade, while having to play teams that have their entire rosters full of 4star recruits at all positions. And I am still disappointed at the nuclear meltdown this team was dealt out there last year at QB with just horribly bad thrown balls, incompletions that boggle the mind, reads that are beyond bad, and one interception after the other, tipped balls, poor drop backs, and just outright lack of leadership. Winning teams will pull a QB after one bad performance because the team was let down. That should be enough in my mind to give a shot to someone else. So I dare ask this question. How many losses will it take to put in Blough? I mean what will it take? 4 losses in a row by 20 points each? Why the mystery or delay in the action required. This is about putting the best guy out there as fast as possible without delay. What is it going to take? Why traumatize the fans any further? How many 5 yard passes to tailbacks running a simple roll route do we need to see thrown over their heads, or worse ran back for pick 6's? How many more lethargic drives do we got to see turn into flopped punts against teams like Bowling Green or some other no-name school in the MAC who will end up winning the game likely on a missed field goal right after an incomplete pass 10 yards out of bounds on the previous play.

I say put in Blough and put him in now.
This post was edited on 4/19 8:39 PM by Foolmeoncefan

How many loses before we switch QB's....what difference does it make with this "coaching" staff? In 2013 Henry started...then "coach" hazell switched QB's after Henry went 1-4...then Etling went 0-7 to finish the season. In 2014 Etling started...then "coach" hazell switched QB's after Etling went 2-3...then Appleby went 1-6 to finish the season. The QB's that started the last 2 seasons went 3-7....after "coach" hazell decided to change QB's, they went 1-13.
This "coaching" staff is a freakin' joke. hazell is and will continue to be, the worst Purdue coach in the last 75 years.

Last edited:
That's why I feel if a big improvement doesn't happen this year, then Purdue needs a new coach for 2016, no matter what the cost of a buyout

Reactions: CrazyHands
Who is going to pay for the buy out? We can talk again at the end of the season, but I would expect to see a 6 win season, or something like that.. with maybe a few heartbreaking losses. Without putting out an exact number we will know at the end of the year.

Who is going to pay for the buy out? We can talk again at the end of the season, but I would expect to see a 6 win season, or something like that.. with maybe a few heartbreaking losses. Without putting out an exact number we will know at the end of the year.

What makes you think we get to 6 wins?

If we lose enough to warrant his firing, the department will be faced with a real serious decision of 'do we put more resources into the program or let it flounder'. From a dollars and sense perspective I can see the case for both. However, they are kidding themselves if they think that letting the program tank wont catch up with them.

Its not like they dont have the money, they just dont care that much.

Why not be optimistic? Nothing I do helps or hurts this year's team. I am just a fan. I think the team is improving. I think they can start 3-1, go into the last 4 games with 4 wins and then win 2 of their last 4 games,
Why not? Look at the schedule. I just choose to enjoy the ride, no matter how bumpy.

Reactions: JBoiler14
Why not be optimistic? Nothing I do helps or hurts this year's team. I am just a fan. I think the team is improving. I think they can start 3-1, go into the last 4 games with 4 wins and then win 2 of their last 4 games,
Why not? Look at the schedule. I just choose to enjoy the ride, no matter how bumpy.
Exactly. I hate the eternal pessimistic attitude of these boards

I think we all hope the team plays well this year and there is a turnaround, what I and a few are saying is that what should we do if we don't see improvement and sometimes I think Hazel sugarcoats things, which after awhile gets old.

I get that, but how many coaches dog on their team. A head coach must have that kind of enthusiasm. It take a whole lot of positive energy to coach up a hurting program .

yes coaches got to have the positive energy and get players to perform with enthusiasm and things they say , I can't really say how Hazel and the staff are at practices or games with the team, since I haven't been to a practice and sit on the east side, I was just going by his interviews, maybe I expect too much when he builds up a player or part of the team then they don't perform like he was talking about, maybe I need to chill out and quit being so impatient, I just feel like the team is better than what their record has been the last few years, just want the team to do well

I remember when Jim Young was the coach and he said you can improve a whole lot in the BIG and still not win many games. I agree we let some wins slip away last year. You can get better and still not be good enough.

Haha. I dont care about pessimistic or optimistic. I just try to predict what happens. So Im basically asking you why you think they are improving, but not with the tone a pessimist would. I got tired of being optimistic when I was convinced the late Tiller teams would turn the corner.

I do think LB, OL, and WR are deeper and more ready to play. I also think Haz and co. have a better grip on what they have, and think the extremely disjointed asks from players is going away. That leads me to 4-7 wins.

I still think QB is a huge issue. I was glad the quality of throws was much better this spring game, but reading the defense and progressing through reads left a lot to be desired by all qbs for me. I think people are getting way too carried away with Blough, especially regarding his mobility since its just a scrimmage. He wont have nearly that long to react in real games. Also, I think effort will still be an issue. Thats great that Rouse and Yancey have bought in and are trying harder respectively during the offseason. Carrying through with that during the season after a couple things dont go your way is entirely another level maturity and dedication Im not convinced they are ready for. Attitudes like that also spread way too easily, and I cant think its just them tuning the coaches out. Nor do I think the staff is especially good at getting great effort. This leads me to believe that the team as a whole will underperform and get blown out a couple times against teams it has no business doing so, like CMU and Northwestern.

I stick with 1-3 preseason and 1 big ten win along with being competitive in a game or two the experts write them out of. 3 wouldnt shock me. Anything more than 3 or even 8ish games that are competitive in the 4th quarter sounds pretty fun.

A fuller response. I think AA is the quarterback and will play better behind an improved line. The running game will be more consistent, balancing the attack. The team's focus on throwing downfield will help the running game. WR improved. AA must be willing to read his own number on the read option.
Defense must improve, most concerned about secondary but believe thy can stabilize the secondary. the dline interior is better and LB a strength.
Special teams will be a positive.. Just one guy's view.

That Bowling Green game is the real wild card. I think Marshall on the road, with a good pass offense, and with us having a weak pass defense (no rush and inexperienced secondary) will be a tough one to win. I think we beat Indiana State. I think we lose to Virginia Tech. We have lost to a MAC team 4 out of 5 years we have played them since 2009. We beat the mighty Falcon puts us at 2-2 and honestly able to stay in "bowl" contention for a while. As long as we are in bowl contention I am assuming Appelby or Etling. With a 2-2 start, even losing to MSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota would put us at 2-6 with "winnable" games against lower level competition like Illinois, Northwestern (although how did that work last year), Iowa, and IU. If we lose to BGSU and then those 4, it could be 1-7. He could then make a switch after Nebraska, but use the bye and Nebraska weeks to give the #2 equal reps. If we are 1-7 he can go to Blough and maybe get a W over Illinois and Indiana, then go to the masses that we finished the year 2-2 or 3-1 and use that as fools gold to sell tickets for 2016.

Lets say we do go into Illinois 2-6. I think he keeps Appelby and we get a W, to 3-6. Once we hit 7 I think they try Blough.

AA must be willing to read his own number on the read option. [/QUOTE said:
One thing I did love about Blough is that option play he ran near the south endzone where he flipped the ball to the TE at the last second. I dont exactly want him taking a pounding like that, but he made Applebe's exection of that play remind me of Kirsh's option execution in 05.

I respect the BG comment, but Im more worried about Marshall than Bowling Green as a general indicator of where the team is at. I still think if we even have an average team we beat them. If Marshall owns us, the team is still underperforming.

Okay, apparently I cant go through and highlight what I want to address from previous posts anymore

Okay, apparently I cant go through and highlight what I want to address from previous posts anymore
If you highlight words in any post, a box will pop up that you can click on where it says "quote" that will add what you posted to a multi quote, you can do this as many times as you want then when you click the reply at the bottom of the page it will insert all your highlighted sections (even across posts) into one reply. Not sure if that's what you are referring to, or if you just want to reply to a post with it quoted you just click quote instead of reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT