ADVERTISEMENT

How is Iowa a 7 seed?.nm

I agree. Very surprised by that. Yeah they beat NC and OSU twice. But after that............................................................................................................................................................................

how did iu make the tourney, Duke got an easy first 2 games.

download

Their seeding of Big Ten teams is weird.

Some teams earned higher seeds than expected: Iowa, Purdue, IU

Some teams earned lower seeds than expected: Maryland, Ohio State

Usually it has to do with how the conference is perceived overall, but the inconsistency makes it a bit off.

Is it even possible that they were a 6, higher than any other B1G team except Wisky, before they lost to PSU? That would make zero sense.

Originally posted by yiana:
Didn't lose to N. Florida and Gardner Webb and much better road wins.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
... such as losing to Purdue, or PSU in the United Center? B.S. I luv how the idiots on the selection committee have all these stats and rankings, but they are too ignorant to use them intelligently. I.e., why rely on totally convoluted (ass-backwards) RPI and strength of schedule rankings, while placing less weight on head-to-head outcomes and conference results, both of which are clearly a more direct measures of relative performance.

Ohio State as a 10 seed below Purdue as a 9 seed makes literally no sense on any kind of rational basis. There is no way OSU should have been ranked below Purdue, unless you want to let OSU off the hook for having to play Kentucky. Which happened, so. Yeah Purdue got seriously screwed by committee. Not that OSU is appreciably better than Purdue, but CMON.

This post was edited on 3/15 9:55 PM by boilerdub

Ya, the committee flipped where I thought OSU and Purdue would be. But I'm sure the Buckeyes are ok not being in our shoes right now.

Wasn't surprised Indiana made the field, but I'm surprised they got a 10. Committe did them no favors, though. Wichita State is tough.

According to CBS, the committee ranked Cincy as the best #8 and us as the worst #9, so I guess it's more like they screwed Cincinnati.

Originally posted by BoilerBonz:
... such as losing to Purdue, or PSU in the United Center? B.S. I luv how the idiots on the selection committee have all these stats and rankings, but they are too ignorant to use them intelligently. I.e., why rely on totally convoluted (ass-backwards) RPI and strength of schedule rankings, while placing less weight on head-to-head outcomes and conference results, both of which are clearly a more direct measures of relative performance.
Iowa was 7-3 in road games. Purdue won by 4 pts on your home court, and White didn't play. It's not really the outrage you make it out to be.

Btw, I think you guys roll Cincy, and your two 7 footers will be a good test for Kentucky.

Originally posted by DougE88:
Iowa was 7-3 in road games. Purdue won by 4 pts on your home court, and White didn't play. It's not really the outrage you make it out to be.

Btw, I think you guys roll Cincy, and your two 7 footers will be a good test for Kentucky.
Best wishes in the tourney! I thought Iu was high and osu was low other than that pretty accurate. Thanks I hope we roll Cincy and I'm guessing we will have a full house of Iu fans cheering us on vs Ky and an entire nation. Could definately see us keeping it close with our size if they let the game be played.

Originally posted by DougE88:

Iowa was 6-3 in B1G road games, including a 32-point loss to Wisky in Madison. Regardless, nice season and good luck against Davidson.

BB -
I believe the previous poster included the ACC/B1G challenge game in Chapel Hill. I would've loved to see a PU/U of I rematch in Chicago but Iowa crapped the bed with worst loss of year. I expected a fall to the 8/9 line and was pleasantly surprised with the draw. My guess is that winning at UNC played a big factor in final decision. Also, committee seems to reward those who schedule aggressively. Just my guess ....

In any event, I have put on my B1G glasses and now root for all conference teams. Take out those Bearcats and take your best shot at UK.

What was being said this morning was Ohio State was the most underseeded team in the tournament.
Originally posted by boilerdub:
Ohio State as a 10 seed below Purdue as a 9 seed makes literally no sense on any kind of rational basis. There is no way OSU should have been ranked below Purdue, unless you want to let OSU off the hook for having to play Kentucky. Which happened, so. Yeah Purdue got seriously screwed by committee. Not that OSU is appreciably better than Purdue, but CMON.

This post was edited on 3/15 9:55 PM by boilerdub

Committee may have had OSU in tourney but not seeded, then they seeded alot of teams in that 8-9 range and did an "Oh Crap" we have to seed these guys. OSU got screwed, no way they're a 10.

Originally posted by AuroraHawk:
BB -
I believe the previous poster included the ACC/B1G challenge game in Chapel Hill. I would've loved to see a PU/U of I rematch in Chicago but Iowa crapped the bed with worst loss of year. I expected a fall to the 8/9 line and was pleasantly surprised with the draw. My guess is that winning at UNC played a big factor in final decision. Also, committee seems to reward those who schedule aggressively. Just my guess ....

In any event, I have put on my B1G glasses and now root for all conference teams. Take out those Bearcats and take your best shot at UK.
Tend to agree......there was certainly a subtle hint that SOS, especially non-conference would be rewarded. I think that helped Texas and UCLA.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:
Originally posted by AuroraHawk:
BB -

Tend to agree......there was certainly a subtle hint that SOS, especially non-conference would be rewarded. I think that helped Texas and UCLA.
Yes, I think you're right, although I really have a problem with the selection committee placing so much weight on SOS when so much of it is beyond a team's control and a matter of luck. Purdue would move up how much in SOS if we had just taken the night off and not played Grambling, or if we'd drawn Arizona in Maui? Iowa ends up benefiting from playing N. Iowa, while we end up with no benefit from playing at Vandy. Who w/could have predicted that when those games were scheduled? Plus, what if a coach has a young team so he tones down the pre-conference schedule to bring them along? Why should that matter if the younger team comes along nicely and then proves itself the equal of others in conference play?

Also, probably wouldn't have expected Missouri and K State to have been as dismal either, but I'm sure there are several teams that could say the same thing about their schedules as well. Play more ranked teams (or teams expected to be ranked) and avoid the true "cupcakes," is about all you can do.....otherwise, you just have to live with the consequences I suppose.

I think in the end, you have to build for what's best for your particular team in the long run, but I suppose it can hurt you in any one particular season.

I do think Michigan State generally schedules the hardest of the Big Ten teams.....and I like Izzo's philosophy on that, but he also has been there a while now, too.

In the end, the Boilers made it; hopefully, they can make the most of the opportunity.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:

Also, probably wouldn't have expected Missouri and K State to have been as dismal either, but I'm sure there are several teams that could say the same thing about their schedules as well. Play more ranked teams (or teams expected to be ranked) and avoid the true "cupcakes," is about all you can do.....otherwise, you just have to live with the consequences I suppose.

I think in the end, you have to build for what's best for your particular team in the long run, but I suppose it can hurt you in any one particular season.

I do think Michigan State generally schedules the hardest of the Big Ten teams.....and I like Izzo's philosophy on that, but he also has been there a while now, too.

In the end, the Boilers made it; hopefully, they can make the most of the opportunity.
I also think that even when MSU isn't very good which doesn't happen often, losing to them isn't considered a bad loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT