ADVERTISEMENT

Hazell's job security

boiler17

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
so Ghost really started this on another thread, and its been dabbled at here and there since the season ended. What is the minimum bar that Hazell must reach to not be fired?

Personally, I dont think there is one. I do think he should have to produce at least 500, but Burke has been glowingly supportive of Haz and their shared 'vision', and I think most of Burkes work for the remainder of his career will be spend trying to support the resources of the current coach and not so much looking to switch him out. I think they are in it together until the end.

Curious if others think the seat is hot.

I think it would take 3 or less wins for a move to be considered. Next year is his make or break year IMO

so Ghost really started this on another thread, and its been dabbled at here and there since the season ended. What is the minimum bar that Hazell must reach to not be fired?

Personally, I dont think there is one. I do think he should have to produce at least 500, but Burke has been glowingly supportive of Haz and their shared 'vision', and I think most of Burkes work for the remainder of his career will be spend trying to support the resources of the current coach and not so much looking to switch him out. I think they are in it together until the end.

He is as high as #2 one Hot Seat coaching lists on the internet and I haven't seen one that he is not on!

To answer your question, 4 split probably 2 non-conference and 2 B1G! IMO anything less than that does not show much if any improvement. I'll stay out of the close but losing the game team arguments right now since that is the old what if, kiss your sister, etc!

At this time without seeing one play of the 2015 season could many stand behind him with one win, two, wins, three wins????

Last edited:
At this time without seeing one play of the 2015 season could many stand behind him with one win, two, wins, three wins????

Thats interesting to me though because hardly anyone stands behind him. Burke, 20k die hard fans, and a few guys on the internet. Hope got fired because the fanbase obviously lost faith and attendance got embarassing there for a while. Now Hazell has lowered the bar so much, I think hes bought himself more time.

Yeah, anything less than 4 wins there might be a lot of pressure for Burke to make a move.

Thats interesting to me though because hardly anyone stands behind him. Burke, 20k die hard fans, and a few guys on the internet. Hope got fired because the fanbase obviously lost faith and attendance got embarassing there for a while. Now Hazell has lowered the bar so much, I think hes bought himself more time.

Purdue cant can a coach that quickly and expect to find a viable replacement. Also, his buyout is prohibitive.

Just for discussion if the team beats ISU and goes 1 - 11, no one, including Burke, could afford to keep him! Not saying it will happen but......

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
If you do get rid of him, do you want Burke hiring his replacement?

Yeah, anything less than 4 wins there might be a lot of pressure for Burke to make a move.

Youre probably right. I guess Im thinking even if Hazell turns it around, or we fire him and bring in someone who immediately turns it around, I still see all the investments that get talked about on here as necessary, and attendance slow to turn around, unless we immediately start competing for conference championships or something.

Strange as it is to say, I think Burkes got bigger things on his plate than the coach. He has to figure out a new strategy going forward, find a new financial relationship with the university, and figure out where a whole lot of money is coming from since he killed his revenue stream.

I dont have issue with it if we come to the table with real money.

There's a few factors..

1. We have hit rock bottom. There's really not much worse we can do on the field or with regards to revenue/ticket sales. In most "realities" this would be the make it or break it year (and it may still be the case). There isn't going to some "falling attendance/revenue" this year though simply because we are at bottom. So really it's on the field.

2. What Purdue "spent" on Hazell was not some low-ball.

Dave Doeren at NC State was hired the same year for $1.8 million/year for five years. We're paying Hazell $2 million for 6 years.

This. He has until his contract is up for renewal to turn things around I am afraid.

Dont agree with this. A decision will be forced due to contract length. No college coach can effectively recruit with 3 or less years remaining on his contract. They will either have to extend him and negotiate a lower buyout or fire him.

2. What Purdue "spent" on Hazell was not some low-ball.

Yeah, but we are still paying assistants sucky. I seem to remember we were towards the middle when they got signed, but then someone posted something else that had us last or very near the last in the conference again in assistant coach pay a few months ago.

If Im Burke, and if Im unwilling to fix the problem of not paying guys at a p5 level, should I really can someone if Im probably replacing them with another inept staff? Although, Hazell has produced easily the worst football Ive watched a change would probably help.

Dont agree with this. A decision will be forced due to contract length. No college coach can effectively recruit with 3 or less years remaining on his contract. They will either have to extend him and negotiate a lower buyout or fire him.
Wait, you disagree?? Am I supposed to call you names now or some such? :D

Kidding of course, I see your point and you very well might be right.

Wait, you disagree??

come+at+us+bro+nerdparty.gif

I think this seat only becomes hot with a season producing 3 wins or less.

I agree with this.

A 4 win season will be viewed as a success? Guess it depends on who the wins are (and who the losses are).

We have a tough schedule, but the Big Ten is not extremely deep.

Would you really be impressed if we beat Indiana State, Bowling Green, Indiana and Northwestern/Illinois?

That's not going to generate a lick of excitement.

A 4 win season will be viewed as a success? Guess it depends on who the wins are (and who the losses are).

We have a tough schedule, but the Big Ten is not extremely deep.

Would you really be impressed if we beat Indiana State, Bowling Green, Indiana and Northwestern/Illinois?

That's not going to generate a lick of excitement.
I didn't say 4 wins is a success, I said it is an improvement which keeps the coach off the hot seat.

I didn't say 4 wins is a success, I said it is an improvement which keeps the coach off the hot seat.

Ok, let me rephrase. I don't think a 4 win season with wins over a combo of those teams leaves anyone off the hot seat.

I don't think a 4 win season with wins over a combo of those teams leaves anyone off the hot seat.

Hot seat like he might get fired or hot seat like 'coach youre going to have to produce eventually' and putting it off a year or two?

Hot seat like he might get fired or hot seat like 'coach youre going to have to produce eventually' and putting it off a year or two?

Whether he actually gets fired or not, I don' know. Hopefully we have a better than expected year and it's not a relevant issue!

But if he wins 4 games and maybe even 5 (again, depends who it is and how other teams actually do), there's going to be a lot of heat.

We're getting to a point where there's going to be some big questions asked within athletics, especially with Morgan's retirement. And while I continually say that the President is not involved heavily with athletics, this is where the true test of Daniels happens. Usually if there's going to be an AD change, you do it before hiring a major head coach. Not sure what plan is in place for a transition (obviously Burke will not be fired), but the wheels need to be in motion for that to happen.

Burke has plainly acknowledged that the lack of football revenues is killing the overall athletic department budget - and has been blunt about that reality. It's hard to see them wanting to go through this season (which will be as bad as last year) and then potentially another one.

nice post lbod.

Ive actually largely grown disinterested in who coaches and am more on the admin stuff. Hope and Hazell clearly have their problems as coaches, but they deserve a more full poker hand than they have been given.

Im also interested to see how they try to take this principled, or just outright cheap, approach to not spending a ton of Football when everyone else was and transition to the future. So now you need to spend more than ever and have less income than ever. Even when I was just a young 20's something less business savvy boilerfan I called this when they let Tillers assistants leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT