ADVERTISEMENT

has anyone seen the pics of the newcomers with the team?

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
Weatherfords arms, wow! He can bench Haas.
Hill looks very solid with size and has hops.
Swanigan can run, opponents who think he can't will be shocked.

This is going to be a special year. If Hill is what some are saying he is, we will be the team nobody wants to see on their schedule.

Boiler Up!!!

Nice to see Kendall working on his game. Would be great so see him break down defenders like that on the drive.
Yep. He took Grant to school, but Grant will be alright. Weatherford will dog players until the final whistle blows, and IMO that is when he will shine...when everyone else is tired.

Nice to see Kendall working on his game. Would be great so see him break down defenders like that on the drive.
It's only one clip, but Kendall did look like he's been working on his handle. Weatherford was clearly worried about his shot and it was nice to see Stephens take advantage.

Reactions: GregJM24
Did anyone else notice Taylor in the group pics? He looks significantly bigger and stronger to me. And Weatherford looks like a linebacker in the making. Swanigan looks like he could be a monster.
Collectively this team is very physically impressive in appearance.

3 fouls on Weatherford in that video...but love the hustle......don't reach......move the feet and stay low....

Did anyone else notice Taylor in the group pics? He looks significantly bigger and stronger to me. And Weatherford looks like a linebacker in the making. Swanigan looks like he could be a monster.
Collectively this team is very physically impressive in appearance.
Taylor did add muscle this offseason......my favorite player on the team that will play hard when given minutes this year.....next year when AJ and potentially Swanigan leave (I say two years but potentially next year if we do well as a team)....

Taylor will have two years under his belt and be ready for prime time!

Love this kid and his game and his attitude...110% Boilermaker...can't wait for him to get his chance.

Great group we have this year and for the years to come....going to be special....

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
everyone might want to notice if they haven't Vince standing beside Brandon. Looks like he may have an inch on Brandon. If not he appears to be every bit of 6'8"..maybe more...

What jumped out at me was how long Hill's reach is. Very Octeus/Keaton Grant'ish. Will be a great asset in defending the perimeter.

Second, Weatherford is definitely cut of the same physical cloth as Kramer was. He seems to have the same tenacity as well. I don't know if he's as quick or skilled yet, but I can see the comparison. Kendall schooled him. I'm not sure if that was inexperience on his let or Stephens game has really improved off the bounce. If Stephens can develop a consistent step back junper off the bounce, that would be a huge asset.

This team is tough and talented. If the injury bug can stay away, that's an exciting combination.

I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the impact that the competitiveness in practice will have. To have to go day in and day out against this team has to translate over to the court.

I haven't been this excited in a VERY long time. I can't even say I was this amped up for the Baby Boilers to be honest. And that is by no means a knock on the Baby Boilers at all ...

I don't know what it is, but there is just something "different" about this team and it's potential.

Reactions: woggy718
I haven't been this excited in a VERY long time. I can't even say I was this amped up for the Baby Boilers to be honest. And that is by no means a knock on the Baby Boilers at all ...

I don't know what it is, but there is just something "different" about this team and it's potential.
So can we just skip FB season and just go straight to BB?

I love that no one is talking about Cline. He's a sleeper for this team and has the handles to run the point if need be. I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: boiler62
Weatherfords arms, wow! He can bench Haas.
Hill looks very solid with size and has hops.
Swanigan can run, opponents who think he can't will be shocked.
Boiler Up!!!

You can tell Swanigan can run from the team picture? Outstanding.

I love that no one is talking about Cline. He's a sleeper for this team and has the handles to run the point if need be. I'm rooting for him.

Hope this true, but reality is that he will get buried behind Mathias and Stephens this year. I actually would like to see him redshirt and get some separation between him and the other two. On Peegs a few felt he was the best shooter to come out of state since Alford. That wouldn't be a bad thing

Hope this true, but reality is that he will get buried behind Mathias and Stephens this year. I actually would like to see him redshirt and get some separation between him and the other two. On Peegs a few felt he was the best shooter to come out of state since Alford. That wouldn't be a bad thing

I'm torn. Followed Cline since he was a sophomore for Carmel. Saw all 3 shooters (KS, DM and Cline) play in HS. Cline is by far the better shooter of the 3 at that point in their careers. IMO he is still the best pure shooter of the 3 right now. But those other 2 have a lot more experience and conditioning to separate them at this point.

I was sure Cline would not redshirt. He is just too darn good. Then I broke the minutes down and unless someone is taking a pretty large cut in minutes, there just isn't enough, to me, to justify not redshirting Cline. Unless one of Ray, Mathias, Stephens, or Hill is going to take a huge cut in playing time, I don't see Cline getting more than 10 mpg, and that's at the beggining of the year. I bet we trim our lineup down later in the year to get better flow and IMO Cline will be one of 5 left out.

He deserves 4 good years where he gets at least 15-20 minutes every night. That just won't happen this year.

I read that Taylor was at 240. Could that be right?
Yes...going between 235-240...added muscle between sitting last year and this summer.....he will lean up during the season to be at 230 playing weight.......but has defined his muscle mass for sure.....needs the mass to bang with AJ, Haas, Edwards and Biggie......that's some beef at the 4 and 5

I'm torn. Followed Cline since he was a sophomore for Carmel. Saw all 3 shooters (KS, DM and Cline) play in HS. Cline is by far the better shooter of the 3 at that point in their careers. IMO he is still the best pure shooter of the 3 right now. But those other 2 have a lot more experience and conditioning to separate them at this point.

I was sure Cline would not redshirt. He is just too darn good. Then I broke the minutes down and unless someone is taking a pretty large cut in minutes, there just isn't enough, to me, to justify not redshirting Cline. Unless one of Ray, Mathias, Stephens, or Hill is going to take a huge cut in playing time, I don't see Cline getting more than 10 mpg, and that's at the beggining of the year. I bet we trim our lineup down later in the year to get better flow and IMO Cline will be one of 5 left out.

He deserves 4 good years where he gets at least 15-20 minutes every night. That just won't happen this year.

Good assessment. Honestly, I feel like RC's minutes are tied directly to DM and KS's development as 3-point snipers. If they improve, there won't be significant minutes for RC. If they don't, CMP will need him to stretch the D.

Good assessment. Honestly, I feel like RC's minutes are tied directly to DM and KS's development as 3-point snipers. If they improve, there won't be significant minutes for RC. If they don't, CMP will need him to stretch the D.

agreed

To QuadBoiler, I can see that same scenario being a possibility: IF Cline can make his jumpers consistently and Mathias or Stephens are still streaky like they were last season, they might not get significantly more PT than him.

I think the best situation would be to RS Ryan. We will have a lot of capable 3 shooters next season. I expect Vince and PJ to be able to knock them down better. I just don't like us not shirting a high potential guy if he will only average a few points because of the depth. Like Painter said to Taylor we would be taking his worst year from him and adding his best.

I know that I'm still of the belief that Cline could be the best shooter on the team this season. I haven't read, seen, or heard anything new that makes me think otherwise. If he is and he also can be decent defensively, it's not out of the question for him to average anywhere from 10-17 minutes a game, IMO. If anyone redshirts, I think it would be Weatherford. He needs to try and develop some offensive skills so that he is at least a minor scoring threat vs. mid and high-major type of competition and he could probably work on improving his quickness and agility as well.

If Cline is the best shooter of our 3 SG's, then I think he will get minutes. We need his defensive game to develop. With AJ being a senior, this is the year to shoot for the conf + make a deep run in the tourney, and coach will want his best shooter to be able to play. Also, I agree about Weatherford being the most likely redshirt, especially if DM and/or Ray end up being able to cover some PG minutes.

I know that I'm still of the belief that Cline could be the best shooter on the team this season. I haven't read, seen, or heard anything new that makes me think otherwise. If he is and he also can be decent defensively, it's not out of the question for him to average anywhere from 10-17 minutes a game, IMO. If anyone redshirts, I think it would be Weatherford. He needs to try and develop some offensive skills so that he is at least a minor scoring threat vs. mid and high-major type of competition and he could probably work on improving his quickness and agility as well.

I believe he set a new program record in the 20 m sprint...under 5 year strength coach Joshua Bonhotal that is

I believe he set a new program record in the 20 m sprint...under 5 year strength coach Joshua Bonhotal that is

What I mean is more along the lines of lateral quickness and being able to change directions more quickly, as opposed to a straight-line sprint.

What I mean is more along the lines of lateral quickness and being able to change directions more quickly, as opposed to a straight-line sprint.

Gotcha. I do think his work ethic will serve him well in whatever he may be lacking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT