ADVERTISEMENT

Hammons returning!

I know how this sounds, but I swear it's true. Someone asked awhile back if we'd rather have Hammons or Swanigan next year. and deep down, I wanted Hammons the most. That's no knock on Swanigan--I badly wanted him. But the fact is, I think Swanigan has his mind set on a one-and-done, which means it's one year of Hammons vs. one year of Swanigan.

Of course, ideally, we would have had both, but if forced to choose, I wanted Hammons. My reasoning? AJ has learned to impact the game on the defensive end and to provide enough of a post threat to satisfy that offensive need. Plus, I believe he has really learned to be unselfish, and though I'm not saying anything about Swanigan's attitude--good or bad--the fact is, Hammons knows the system, the culture, and will not have the adjustment period any new player will have.

All the above is on the assumption Swanigan goes pro after a year, and I realize that might not happen. But if I had to bet, I'd say he will, and because of that, I'd rather have AJ for a year.

On that note, welcome back, AJ! May you and Isaac form the best two-headed monster in college basketball next season!

And frankly, AJ will be a much better player than Swanigan next season. Yep, just reel in another 5th year PG and let's go!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agreed a great thing for him and Purdue....got my first look at Caleb last night in the Jordan Brand Classic....one game but he looked out of shape and out of place...first thing probably caused the other! MSU's other big in the game looked better and since they are about the same size and probable position somebody is going to sit next season!

Great news!

Now, let's have a great off season of improved explosiveness, conditioning and refining skills.

I hope each player comes with the mindset to win the B1G and get to the Final Four. I saw something from Wisky's team 2 years ago where Frank K, Sam Dekkar and company wanted to change the perception of Wisc - and they did.

I think this group with a focused off season and belief can do big things.

Originally posted by Ben Shadeland:
I know how this sounds, but I swear it's true. Someone asked awhile back if we'd rather have Hammons or Swanigan next year. and deep down, I wanted Hammons the most. That's no knock on Swanigan--I badly wanted him. But the fact is, I think Swanigan has his mind set on a one-and-done, which means it's one year of Hammons vs. one year of Swanigan.

Of course, ideally, we would have had both, but if forced to choose, I wanted Hammons. My reasoning? AJ has learned to impact the game on the defensive end and to provide enough of a post threat to satisfy that offensive need. Plus, I believe he has really learned to be unselfish, and though I'm not saying anything about Swanigan's attitude--good or bad--the fact is, Hammons knows the system, the culture, and will not have the adjustment period any new player will have.

All the above is on the assumption Swanigan goes pro after a year, and I realize that might not happen. But if I had to bet, I'd say he will, and because of that, I'd rather have AJ for a year.

On that note, welcome back, AJ! May you and Isaac form the best two-headed monster in college basketball next season!
I asked the question. I was more for Hammons over Swanigan due to him being a proven commodity. Swanigan scored like 2 pts. in the McD AA game and 2 pts in the Nike Summit game (maybe they played more than one game?), so the kid didn't really impress me either. He needs conditioning in a bad way. Obviously I would have liked him here at PU, but it's not that big of a loss it seems IMO............ok, maybe a 270+ pound, 6' 6 3/4" loss!!!

Originally posted by BoilerinLouisville:
Great News, this is the year Painter needs to do something. Go land a PG and we have the components for a special season.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yep. Get a good PG and we should be top 3-4 next year and a top 5 or so seed. Who knows, if someone breaks through (thinking about KS in particular!) maybe we could be more.

+1. Just not impressed with Swanny. I see attitude, coulda turned into a mess at Purdue. Thank you AJ!!!

Don't know Swanigan personally and only saw him play a couple of times on TV. Seems like he may have some baggage handlers that go along with him. I really don't see him as one and done. That label gets thrown around way too frequently these days..i.e. Yogi, Gary Harris, etc. If we had landed him great, but I don't see him as a program changer. He will be a good player for MSU but will won't be POY in the BIG anytime soon. We are in good shape for next year and if we can get a good PG, we could a difficult matchup if our shooters begin to click. I have said it several times, we are a 4 year program that needs its players to get better each year and let the upper classmen lead. We need to land a VE caliber player every year....if we do that, we will be very competitive.

The other great news is that this assures a top PG will want to transfer here. We need a smart PG and the one who can see the potential with this team means we are talking top ten.

Originally posted by toddbrewster:
The other great news is that this assures a top PG will want to transfer here. We need a smart PG and the one who can see the potential with this team means we are talking top ten.
Top 10? Wow, hope you are right.

I like Vince's shirt.

On topic, maybe the dumb crap that's been going on will take a bit of a break on here.

I see no reason if we get a legit pg and improve the outside shooting that we could and would be a top ten team. Now finding the pg is a must, the shooting will be there

Great news! This immediately makes us a contender for the conference crown. Get a proven point guard and we might be in the running for much, much more than that. I'm not confident just hoping that someone already on board developes over the summer. It's too risky considering the potential the bulk of the squad presents. At any rate, good decision AJ! So glad to hear it!

great to hear and what a great idea as where to announce the decision.

This post was edited on 4/19 11:04 AM by PaBoiler78

Thank you A.J.!! Proud to be a Boiler! Your press release was great news for Boiler fans everywhere. You are a great representative of Purdue University and a wonderful young man. Good luck this summer in prepping for your senior year.
Good luck in your studies and know that you will always be a Boiler favorite for us.

Fantastic news for the team and fans.

These guys can go as far as their confidence takes them. They know it. Anyone who takes this team lightly or fans that are not excited about this team for next year are not paying attention.

I believe these guys will put in the work this summer...FT, FG shooting...passing to our bigs in a position to score (not around their ankles), and general conditioning.

Anyone bitching about anything surrounding the 2015-16 year in basketball simply cannot be satisfied, probably has an unhappy spouse, and a poor attitude about life in general.

GET EXCITED!! AJ coming back is just the mojo Boilers needed. It is going to be a fun year!!

Awesome.

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackaging.jpg

Great news - made my day yesterday! Can't wait for next season! Only 172 days until Fall practice begins!
This post was edited on 4/19 8:12 PM by Purdue0034

That picture really shows me something about Haas. His complete joy that AJ is coming back and him knowing that he will be a backup for another year but understanding that it is good for Purdue is a pleasure to see. Boiler Up!

Originally posted by ToddFosterakadirty:
That picture really shows me something about Haas. His complete joy that AJ is coming back and him knowing that he will be a backup for another year but understanding that it is good for Purdue is a pleasure to see. Boiler Up!
Haas has the most mature, self-less attitude I have seen in a high-end basketball player. His presence alone would make good locker room chemistry. Add in Rafael, and I think our basic chemistry is at a high. That is what a new recruit can sense.

I can speculate that the lockerroom at the time is what turned Gary Harris toward MSU. I doubt it was as comfortable or as positive, given that at least one of the players was not allowed to play with enough "sause".

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:
Haas has the most mature, self-less attitude I have seen in a high-end basketball player. His presence alone would make good locker room chemistry. Add in Rafael, and I think our basic chemistry is at a high. That is what a new recruit can sense.

I can speculate that the lockerroom at the time is what turned Gary Harris toward MSU. I doubt it was as comfortable or as positive, given that at least one of the players was not allowed to play with enough "sause".

cool.r191677.gif
This is a interesting point, I would be curious to see what impact that had on Harris' recruitment. Which makes getting AJH here with all of that going on is even more amazing.

Originally posted by Kesselschmiede:

Originally posted by mathboy:

cool.r191677.gif
This is a interesting point, I would be curious to see what impact that had on Harris' recruitment. Which makes getting AJH here with all of that going on is even more amazing.
When Harris talked about a more "family feeling" at MSU, I wondered if what he was really talking about was an uncomfortable locker room at Purdue. I don't think I would pinpoint the cause of that lockerroom problem on any one player. I think there might have been several that just did not get along with each other back then.

cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT