ADVERTISEMENT

Hammons' age

I don't think it makes a difference at this point, if he stays he has a chance to develop a mid range jumper and leave as the all time shot blocker, as well as making a deep run in the tourney which he would be a catalyst of.
Teams drafting him will be insurance to their starting center, not someone to build a franchise around.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He will be "old" for a prospect this year or next. Might as well stay, improve, win and then see what happens. If Purdue lands a PG, Purdue could be pretty solid next year and Hammons could shoot up the draft boards. He is a 2nd rounder this year and should only improve or at worst stay the same next year.

Originally posted by cprh9u:

He will be "old" for a prospect this year or next. Might as well stay, improve, win and then see what happens. If Purdue lands a PG, Purdue could be pretty solid next year and Hammons could shoot up the draft boards. He is a 2nd rounder this year and should only improve or at worst stay the same next year.
Hit the nail on the head there. One year at this point means little for him. He can only get better and help his stock. Don't get why some don't get that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think age would matter more if he was in the lottery range of the draft.

Laguna...I also think you're forgetting the fact that, if Hammons does get drafted, it will almost certainly be in the 2nd round, and he would be given time to develop by NBA coaches. Yes, I know nothing is guaranteed to a 2nd round pick, but let's not act like players don't develop at all in the NBA. The NBA is actually quite good at developing players.

This post was edited on 4/17 10:18 AM by BoilerDeac

The NBA is also very good at dumping players who aren't on guaranteed contracts. The guys who make lots of money putting together these draft boards all seem to have AJ either very late or not on the board at all (I checked the mock draft from NBA.com for him being left out completely). I did read an article where an unnamed source said that he would like to see AJ have another year with Haas and the locker room environment he had this past season to see if he can become a player who can make another big step. If he does make another step next year as he did this past season, he will be a first round pick with a guaranteed contract.

There's a few tidbits in an Indy Star article about his stock.

"Boilermakers coach Matt Painter said Hammons received his full report from the NBA Draft Undergraduate Advisory Committee. While Hammons did improve his stock, his projected draft range hasn't changed much. That stems both from a lack of consistent play until mid-season and from an influx of foreign talent and other underclassmen that have made this a stronger-than-expected draft class."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/purdue/2015/04/16/aj-hammons-purdue-basketball/25913519/

ADVERTISEMENT